TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

22 hours ago, CarlH said:

I wish the groups I played with didn't give putts at all!  For a few years, my buddy and I played putt everything out.  Putting improved so much!  One on one match play, no problem giving putts as seen fit, but medal play?  Putt it out!

I'll give putts for bogeys or worse, and even tap-in pars, but birdies or better have to be earned.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Actually played pretty well, shot 75, ball striking was phenomenal, but putting continues to be a weak spot. Four 3-putts today really turned a great scoring day into a solid scoring day. I’m thinking the Betti might need a time-out for a round or 2 😱! Never thought I’d say that!! Either gonna roll with a Ping B60 or an old White Hot #1 that was good to me for a long time. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'll give putts for bogeys or worse, and even tap-in pars, but birdies or better have to be earned.

Avg age of our groups 73-74 and having a 80 year old forced to putt for a 1’ bogie not going to happen.
There is no money involved, occasionally couple guys may have a side bet then it’s between them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Avg age of our groups 73-74 and having a 80 year old forced to putt for a 1’ bogie not going to happen.
There is no money involved, occasionally couple guys may have a side bet then it’s between them.

Same with us buddy and I’m the youngest of the bunch at 69. The majority are in the mid 70’s. In the leather is good with our group except for those with the belly and titty putters.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Same with us buddy and I’m the youngest of the bunch at 69. The majority are in the mid 70’s. In the leather is good with our group except for those with the belly and titty putters.

We do not have any players with the Long putters. Occasionally we’ll get a walk on that will have one. All my putters are 34” no matter style or mfg.

Rick

Left Hand, 

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

belly and titty putters.

hahahaha

now THAT's funny right there

If no betting involved, yeah, who cares about gimmie putts.  My problem is multiple groups having a money game and side bets with members in different groups and some putts are given wider range than in other groups.  Particularly an "in the leather" (or circle of friendship) that is a sidehill slippery putt. 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

hahahaha
If no betting involved, yeah, who cares about gimmie putts.  My problem is multiple groups having a money game and side bets with members in different groups and some putts are given wider range than in other groups.  Particularly an "in the leather" (or circle of friendship) that is a sidehill slippery putt. 

Played this morning and noticed no Par or Birdie putt given or picked up only Bogie +. Also noticed the Player normally didn’t pick up his ball one of the others in the group kicked it back to him.
Interesting.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

hahahaha

Inside the leather!!   hahahaha  Remember the Celebrity Golf matches??  Smart Snead vs Harpo Marx.  Watch at the 18:30 mark... LOL!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Semiannual two day points tourney this weekend....but, trip storm blowing a bunch of rain our way tomorrow. Wish us luck.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Semiannual two day points tourney this weekend....but, trip storm blowing a bunch of rain our way tomorrow. Wish us luck.

Kick butt and take names

Rick

Left Hand, 

Wind blew all day, and rain is starting to come in tonight.  It will be wet tomorrow.

Today my wife and I went out at 1:15 with another couple and played nine holes.  Wind was 15-25mph with some higher gusts.  I played well off the tee, but really sucked around the green.  Shot +6.   Poor chips and a couple of 3 putts.  I never got comfortable standing over the ball.  However, I did have a chip-in birdie on #2.  I was called an a__hole!!  A term of endearment, I'm told.

As good as the chip-in was, my best shot of the day was on the par 3 #4 hole playing 148y to a back pin directly into that wind.  We haven't had winds like that since spring, so I was a little hesitant on which club the use.  I chose a 7i because I thought it would clear the bunker, and I was confident that it wouldn't go off the back.  I hit my version of a "knock-down" shot (think Zach Johnson swing), and it was a laser that stopped pin high right about 8 feet away.  Tricky left to right putt with left to right wind, and I was very happy to 2-putt.

With Nestor blowing thru Tampa Bay last night, it dropped over 3” of rain on the course, causing us to postpone the Fall Blitz until Nov 16 & 17.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

With Nestor blowing thru Tampa Bay last night, it dropped over 3” of rain on the course, causing us to postpone the Fall Blitz until Nov 16 & 17.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Not surprised, we got 2.5” so far and more later today. November is better.

Rick

Left Hand, 

73 today 🙂

Driver still excellent- putter very good with 31 putts (best for a long time) and short game was probably 8 out of 10.

The course was soaking- every tee shot and green shot plugged, very heavy underfoot and had to chip out of mud a few times- hate that but we've had all of Oct rainfall in the first 2 weeks so it has nowhere to go.

Overall very pleased with my game. Typical as thats the season over now😡

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Tried to play today, but after 3 holes, the hip was twinging too much.  Decided to call it a day and live to play another day.  The course was wet from yesterday and last night's rain with threats of more coming, so it wasn't a bad call to quit.  Came home and iced the hip for a bit.  Also cancelled my game tomorrow.  No sense pushing things.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Tried to play today, but after 3 holes, the hip was twinging too much.  Decided to call it a day and live to play another day.  The course was wet from yesterday and last night's rain with threats of more coming, so it wasn't a bad call to quit.  Came home and iced the hip for a bit.  Also cancelled my game tomorrow.  No sense pushing things.

No need to push it and hurt yourself, always tomorrow.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I’m in the middle of a round in Thousand Oaks, California. It’s right at an hour and 45 minutes to play FIVE HOLES! Dude. PICK. IT. UP!
I’d never play golf if I lived here. What an absolute joke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

6 hours ago, fozcycle said:

... I wish you guys coulda kept that storm in Florida. 🙄  I drove 2 days to visit my Mom in Bluffton SC and had a 11:54 tee time today at a very nice course but got rained out... sigh. Took her to a nice seafood restaurant for lunch and Whole Foods for some organic groceries instead. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I wish you guys coulda kept that storm in Florida.  I drove 2 days to visit my Mom in Bluffton SC and had a 11:54 tee time today at a very nice course but got rained out... sigh. Took her to a nice seafood restaurant for lunch and Whole Foods for some organic groceries instead. 

Well, kept Mom happy

Rick

Left Hand, 

6 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Well, kept Mom happy emoji106.png

... 92 and still ticking. I was gonna take her to dinner and WF's after playing golf but I just moved up the time. rescheduled for Sunday same time so I hope these sand base greens and fairway drain well! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... 92 and still ticking. I was gonna take her to dinner and WF's after playing golf but I just moved up the time. rescheduled for Sunday same time so I hope these sand base greens and fairway drain well! 

That’s great, give her our best!!
Enjoy your visit with Mom and your round tomorrow

Rick

Left Hand, 

I should have worn long underwear 😱.  I played Madison Meadows this morning, hoping to get the round in before the weather moved in.  It was 36F when I left the house, 30F on VC Pass, and a balmy 39F in Ennis when I arrived.  Umm, that's still air temp.  Factor in the 6-8 mph wind and it's in the high 20's.  I had called Jason before heading out about play and he said "we're empty, come on over".  He swears the wind wasn't blowing at that time 🤨.  As consolation he offered me a free power cart - complete with side and back curtains 👍.  There wasn't a soul on the course... imagine that.  

I didn't feel like I was playing that great but my scores were good.  On many shots, I found myself holding my head in a position trying to keep my hat on. One thing I tried today is lowering my tee height a bit, on shots into the wind, in attempt to lower my ball height.  It seemed to work pretty well.  I had trouble judging the wind.  On the par 3 #8/#17, it was quartering into me from right to left.  I dropped from a normal 7i to a 5i and aimed at the tree on the right side of the green - which is quite a bit to the right.  It was a hoot watching the wind carry the balls back towards the flag.  On hole #4, I hit a drive of 304 yards!  On hole #5 (opposite direction), I crushed a low trajectory drive that only went 237 yards. Playing in these conditions gives me even more respect for what the pros are able to do.

Basically I froze my butt off.  Were it not for the cart, there's no way I make it thru 9 let alone 18.  The wind was pure hell as it just kept cranking up as I went along. I gave myself both short-ish putts on 18 as it started snowing lightly and, while I was conducting Official Testing (Maxfli Balls), had simply met my limitations.  I played a 2-ball game; one Maxfli Tour and a Tour X.  I'll reveal the winner in my upcoming review thread. (River, our yellow lab assisting with photo 🙂).

627011819_madisonmeadows.jpg.5ba0266debb3bf192a8a9603efbfdf2c.jpg

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I should have worn long underwear .  I played Madison Meadows this morning, hoping to get the round in before the weather moved in.  It was 36F when I left the house, 30F on VC Pass, and a balmy 39F in Ennis when I arrived.  Umm, that's still air temp.  Factor in the 6-8 mph wind and it's in the high 20's.  I had called Jason before heading out about play and he said "we're empty, come on over".  He swears the wind wasn't blowing at that time 🤨.  As consolation he offered me a free power cart - complete with side and back curtains .  There wasn't a soul on the course... imagine that.  
I didn't feel like I was playing that great but my scores were good.  On many shots, I found myself holding my head in a position trying to keep my hat on. One thing I tried today is lowering my tee height a bit, on shots into the wind, in attempt to lower my ball height.  It seemed to work pretty well.  I had trouble judging the wind.  On the par 3 #8/#17, it was quartering into me from right to left.  I dropped from a normal 7i to a 5i and aimed at the tree on the right side of the green - which is quite a bit to the right.  It was a hoot watching the wind carry the balls back towards the flag.  On hole #4, I hit a drive of 304 yards!  On hole #5 (opposite direction), I crushed a low trajectory drive that only went 237 yards. Playing in these conditions gives me even more respect for what the pros are able to do.
Basically I froze my butt off.  Were it not for the cart, there's no way I make it thru 9 let alone 18.  The wind was pure hell as it just kept cranking up as I went along. I gave myself both short-ish putts on 18 as it started snowing lightly and, while I was conducting Official Testing (Maxfli Balls), had simply met my limitations.  I played a 2-ball game; one Maxfli Tour and a Tour X.  I'll reveal the winner in my upcoming review thread. (River, our yellow lab assisting with photo ).
627011819_madisonmeadows.jpg.5ba0266debb3bf192a8a9603efbfdf2c.jpg

River is doing a great job

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

River is doing a great jobemoji16.png

He loves laying on my legs on the ottoman and was pretty much out like a lightbulb. I didn't want to disrupt his REM and just improvised.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Ended up shooting 86 at Los Robles Greens in Thousand Oaks. I tried a number of different swing changes on the front to no avail. Went back to my Mike Bender swing and proceeded to hit fairways and greens. Round was 5 1/2 hours. Ridiculous. The guys I played with did say it was unusually slow.

15 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Ended up shooting 86 at Los Robles Greens in Thousand Oaks. I tried a number of different swing changes on the front to no avail. Went back to my Mike Bender swing and proceeded to hit fairways and greens. Round was 5 1/2 hours. Ridiculous. The guys I played with did say it was unusually slow.

We should be awesome together tomorrow. I shot a smooth 79 today. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

5 1/2 hours isn’t slow it’s horrendous. I don’t know how anyone can maintain their interest when it’s that slow.

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 1/2 hours isn’t slow it’s horrendous. I don’t know how anyone can maintain their interest when it’s that slow.

I was going to quit after nine, but I had nowhere else to go, and a rain check out here in California wouldn’t do me any good. It was miserable. Nice course, greens were great, but they hadn’t mowed any of the “black” tees so it was like hitting out of the rough on every tee box.

Rained most of the night last night, and my wife and I were going to cancel our 9:46 tee time.  At about 8:30am the rain stopped and the wind was calm, so we decided to play.  Temp was 43º.  We pulled into the parking lot; not many cars.  Got our cart and the pro shop said we should go right now, as a little tournament was going out behind us.  As we headed to the 1st tee without warming up, the wind that was calm decided to start blowing... a little at first but when we got to the 1st green it was blowing pretty good.  My hands were cold.  

Most of the greens had standing water on the low spots.  I parred #1 and had a tap-in birdie on #2, but by #3 the wind was probably blowing about 25-30mph.  I had a birdie putt but 3-putted because of the wind.  The par 3 #4 hole is straight into the wind.  Same pins as yesterday when I hit a 7i into the wind to pin high, but today I hit 6i and was 30 feet short... barely cleared the front bunker.  The par 5 #5 hole straight into the wind required driver, 3w, 2H, PW to get on the green... managed a bogey.  THEN it started to rain again!!  We played #6, a par 5 downwind and I was just in front of the green in two shots; chipped on and 4-putted!!!!!!  🙄  I don't remember ever 4-putting on my course in 4 years.  I then reminded myself that I don't have to play in the rain.  I don't mind the wind, but when it comes with rain... I'm done.  I do feel sorry for the tournament; probably the worst day for golf since the snow melted in March.  Tomorrow is supposed to be only marginally better.  oh well!

8/14 FiR

9./18 GiR

34 Putts

Played from the middle tees today so I wouldn't make things weird for the rest of the group which is just short of 6300y. 3 double bogeys killed what was a pretty decent round. Hit a great driver off #1 and a bunch of blocks to the right after that. FiR numbers kinda don't tell the story of driver this round because there were a lot of 5i and 3w mixed in. Still playing 13 clubs until I find a suitable club between 5w and 5i but the shorter tees today didn't cause me any issue.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond