TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

That sucks JBones, I hate it when I'm all amped up and expecting to play well and it doesn't work out. Its SOOO good when it happens, and sucks all the more when it doesn't. Shake it off, a couple beers can't hurt!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

That sucks JBones, I hate it when I'm all amped up and expecting to play well and it doesn't work out. Its SOOO good when it happens, and sucks all the more when it doesn't. Shake it off, a couple beers can't hurt!

It did suck, bad. I spent over an hour on the range before my tee time and was just smoking the ball; I don't think I missed any target by more than 10yds. I was so excited and just completely fell apart. I think part of the problem is that this is the only tournament I play in, so I only have pressure once a year and I just collapse. I signed up for two more tourneys today and I'm going to play in every one I get a chance to before the city tourney next year, because dammit, I'm going to do this.

The wife and I (mostly me) pounded two 64oz growlers from the local brewery, so all my sorrows drowned away and I'm ready to go again.

• 3 weeks later...

A new personal best at a new course. I only get to play maybe once a month because of finances right now (just got married and in college!). You can see that 3 putt on the second hole...it shames me...haha.

Screenshot2010-08-16at64151PM.png

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

A new personal best at a new course. I only get to play maybe once a month because of finances right now (just got married and in college!). You can see that 3 putt on the second hole...it shames me...haha.

Screenshot2010-08-16at64151PM.png

Thats a sweet program you have for your score card where did you get it?

Fairways and Greens

Thats a sweet program you have for your score card where did you get it?

Looks like Golfshot GPS for iPhone... great program... I use it every round...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Its the free version of Golfshot GPS. Its just called Golfshot. It stores stats on your iPhone, online, and sends you an email after every round with a scorecard like you see above.

SARGE BLOG: Helping people win the internet since the day I started helping people win the internet.

I went out and played a par 3 course with my buddy today. First time the "new" swing has felt really good. Hit 6/9 greens with 0 bad shots (just a couple odd bounces) and shot +2. Had fair putts to get up and down on two of the greens, just didn't quite make them. Very nice overall and a good shot of confidence going into 2 important rounds this weekend.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Played twice over the weekend and shot 80 both times, not terrible for me but not great either. Not doing anything particularly well or horrible consistently, just not breaking 80 often enough!

The big news is that our KC Cup team made the post season for the first time in our team's history! We'll be having to go on the road to play a tough opponent, but just getting in is a victory in an of itself for us!

I broke 90 for the first time today... Shot a 47 on the front, nothing really spectacular, but the back I shot a 42... I've never shot lower than 45...

Birdied the 1st and 9th, pared the 6th, and triple bogeyed the 3rd... bogied the rest...

I had a few great shots... 3 LONG putts, 2 great chips with in a foot of the hole and a 300 yard drive...

Well, not really, I sliced my drive into the woods, and one of the guys in my group said he saw it kick but wasn't sure if it made it out of the woods, so I hit a provisional... Of course my provisional went right down the middle...

guess what... found my first ball about 120 yards out, in the thick stuff, behind a tree... I ended up with a bogey, but the guy I was playing with used his GPS and measured my provisional at 299 yards before tossing it back to me...

best drive ever, and lowest round ever... overall a great day...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Congrats! Breaking your personal best is one of the best achievments in golf, imo! Now that you've broken 90, I bet you find yourself in the 80s frequently!

I hope so... I broke 100 for the first time earlier this year, and have only shot in the 50's 3 times in my league, so I'm feeling the flow... I hope for a few more rounds in the 80's this year, and I'll be happy...

My goal for the year at the end of last season was to shoot below 95, which I've done 4 times, so this has been a good year, I just need to get out there more often, and keep the scores dropping...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Congrats on the personal best. Before you know it you'll be talking about how long it's been since you shot in the 90's.

As for myself, I've only played once since my city qualifying disaster and that was a scramble this past weekend. The scramble is a 100% legit scramble; no mulligans, no tosses, nothing like that, they actually have rangers cruising around, just to make sure everything is staying legit and competitive. If it wasn't for my buddy (who is a scratch golfer), I would have looked like a star. I didn't hit anything from 150 or less farther than 15', but my buddy was hitting everything inside of 10'. I did hit 3 drives over 330 on the day though, so that was awesome. I also holed a lot of putts, which is very unusual. Overall, we shot an 11 under 61 and finished second by a stroke to a great team (2 scratch golfers and 2 10 handis that win it every year). Our other two guys were both 30+ handis and we used a total of 3 of their shots, thats how "on" my buddy (mostly) and I were. I feel pretty good about my game right now.

Played at my godfather's club today, which was great. Shot an 83 which included: multiple greens missed with 8-PW (though no really bad swings), lots of putts made, reasonable short game, and suspect driving.

I played Friday also, at a club in NW Indiana (Youche Country Club). It was a scramble and my team, which bought only 1 mulligan, lost by 2 strokes to a team with many mulligans. I made a solo eagle which ended with a ridiculous rollercoaster 40 footer plus another 30 footer and a lot of putts from 10' and in.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Saturday I played one of the the toughest courses in Indiana (IMO). Cambridge Golf Club is a links style course that plays to a rating of 75.4 and is over 7200yds long from the tips. I shot a 6 over 78 in about a 20mph wind. I only missed 3 fairways and was sicking everything with my new Scratch wedge inside of 10'. My putter really let me down, I was 2/8 on birdie putts inside of 10' with the 2 that I made being 1' and 3'. Had 2 doubles on the card after a OB tee shot and an OB 2nd shot, both with the wind blowing right to left and me hooking the snot out of it; one really hurt as it was on the uphill 611yd par 5 16th (a hole I usually birdie). Overall I was very happy with my play; probably the best ball striking round I've had in the last couple years.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Haven't seen a post of this type on here so I figured I'd start one. Giving us a place to post stories from our rounds.

I played this morning with my cousin, who's just recently signed a golf scholarship, and had a lot of fun as well as saw two things I've never seen before. The first isn't related to golf, really, but course maintenance. They are now foaming the fairways at the local course. I have no clue what it's for, but it's got pink dye in it and they're putting decent sized drops about 4 feet apart and two stripes 10 feet apart, all the way across the fairway. I thought they'd had some vandals come in and TP the fairway when I was pulling in. Never saw that before and I have no clue what chemical is in the foam.

The other is related to golf. I played so-so and shot a 79 on a tough CC where I didn't drive the ball very well at all. My cousin, on the other hand, had the feat I've never seen before. He was +1 going to #9, and he hits 3 wood to the apex of the dogleg. Lays up to 52 yards out(I was the GPS guy, his rangefinder died). The second shot it straight uphill. It adds close to 25 yards to the shot from the apex of the dogleg. I smoked my drive with my 3 wood as well and was inside him by 15 yards. He laid up (I've never seen him go for this green, if you're short, it's not running up because they keep the hill in front of the green moist so it's slow and eats balls. The only option is to play for the back half of the green if going for it or slam it into the bank and hope it pops up onto the green, especially if it's a front pin.) I went for it from 210 actual distance (played 230) with my 4/21 hybrid. I delofted it and hit a stinger. Pin was up front. I absolutely nutted it and it slammed into the front bank... and stopped, it was that moist. Nearly a plug, rolled a few inches out of its pitch mark. He lays up to 52. He hits after I walk over and give him the distance and we're both telling it to bite. Get to the green and go to chip and his is nowhere to be found. I chip to 6" and we walk up and he's dunked it for eagle (can't see the green even from 50 yards out, just the back half). Okay, I birdie. Get to 10, we both try to drive the severely downhill green. He's in the front bunker and I'm pin high right off the slope (you're playing another dogleg here and it's back down that steep hill you just played up on 9. The smart play is a hybrid or 5 wood to the apex of the dogleg where you have 80 yards. We both went for it. We both par. Get to 11, and he kills a drive to the left first cut on this par 5. I'm 10 yards past him and under a tree further left. There's two bunkers up front with a 9 yard wide gap between them. Pin was front third, right side. He again lays up (this time to 40 yards). I go for it again, tick a low hanging branch and finish between the bunkers 5 yards off the green. I give him a distance again and he hits the shot. Hits a nipper he thinks he's overcooked a little and yells for it to bite again. It responds, checking a little on the second bounce. Rolls out, hangs for a second on the lip and falls in. Second eagle in 3 holes, both chip ins. We just die laughing. I chip up nd take another birdie. Next hole, he hits to short of the lake and a bit far right in the rough. I miss the same place virtually(just slightly more right). I nut a 7 iron out of the rough and expect it to shut the face some and make it turn left. It comes out and goes dead straight. He proceeds to dunk 2 in the water and takes a 7. He ended up shooting a +1 73. I, on the other hand, shoot 79. Regardless I've never seen someone chip in twice in a round in person, much less from that far out and definitely not for eagle. His reply after the second? "guess buying that new 60 degree wedge was worth it huh?" lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Bummer RP - Rookie I sure wish that round could have been with me. The way things are going I may not play between now and when you come back. I hope your wife loves her sister and wants to see her often.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Wednesday nights are usually my scramble nights. However, today, I was playing too well, to quit and pay my money and scramble. The plan was to play 9 holes then pay and sit around and drink until scramble time. However, after 9 holes, I had a 34. At the turn the other guys paid and then we continued until they had to leave to scramble. As I suspected I had two holes left when they had to leave. I went ahead and finished up with two pars. But I finished tied with my personal best of 67.

Birdied the first two, bogied the forth, no more bogeys and but birdied the next one. Then 3 birdies on the next 9 with the rest pars. Today was the Titleist/Hogan combination clubs. The first full round I had with them in this current configuration. I have not even reshafted my Mizunos yet. I tipped the Motore F1 shaft an inch and the driver measures less than 44 inches. I started out with some not so pretty drives. Actually, they were ugly low rollers but still somehow had good distance in the 265 to 270 range. I only used it three times on the front nine and 5 on the back but at least I had prettier drives on the back. However, any drive that goes 265 and ends up in the fairway is not really all that ugly. All in all I am very happy with the make up of this set of clubs. I can not wait until I have the other set put together and see how they do.

Of course, I had to put a good swing on them and get myself out of trouble also. On the 16th hole, I hit a tree and was 246 yards out. But hit a hybrid close and got up and down.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I had an interesting 9 holes yesterday after work. Let me rant a little before I talk about my round, the course on Monday punched the greens for a 5th time since Me becoming a member in Mid March, some greens are on their 7th or 8th punch this season, now I know that these are bent grass greens but I have NEVER in my life have heard of a course punching greens this much, bent in the south is normally 4 times a year with top dressing and werti-cutting them aggressively with a lot of watering and fans to keep them cool in hot months. Anyways, with that said you can probably see where this story might be heading.

I pared 1 - 3 pretty what seemed like routine pars, I get to Hole 4 a par 3 have 8 feet and burnt the lip high side break left myself a 1.5 foot clean up might have been a hair firm on the line but I have a guess that punch holes kept the ball from breaking a few inches that would have resulted in a holed putt. I get onto the 5th tee box and have to wait on the group of 3 in front of me. I got cold and hit my Drive TERRIBLE, ended up with 210 into the pin up hill into the wind,came up short but in a good spot so i thought, made a bad pitch and ended up with bogey. Next hole had to wait on the group ahead of me again, I just started to assume that they were playing for big money or something with how they acted because they were going at a snails pace and didn't appear to be playing poorly 2 of them were playing the tips. Anyways, hit my drive low snap hook that turned out in my favor into the wind, found the left fairway, hit a little punch 9 into the green from 125 into the wind up hill to 6 feet, made putt for birdie. Next hole hit a great drive, hit a great lay-up on the par 5, hit a great low PW into the green that was hole high right about 10 feet (pin was tucked left edge was aimed where i putt the shot), I hit the putt perfect line, perfect speed I see it bounce about 1/2 way to the hole off a punch spike to the right and ball sits dead center of the cup on the right lip 1/2 ball right of falling in. Robbed for birdie by punch marks 100% positive on that hole. Next hole I hit a piss poor tee shot into the par 3, left myself a tricky up and down, gave myself a 6 foot putt to clean up, hit put speed I wanted and line I wanted, ball looks like it is going in until 3" in front of the cup when it make a 90* turn and picks up 3 feet of speed like a poltergeist came out of the cup and back handed it away. I had a 4 foot clean up for bogey and made it, I sat there for awhile putting that thing 7 times lipped it 2 or 3 times low and made it one time, putt was just a weird hole location I guess. So 1 over going into number 9, hit a good drive, hit a decent 2nd shot going for the green in two, left myself a 8 footer for birdie (hard to get close to the pin from my angle where I missed the green), I miss read the putt and made par matched my personal best of 37 on that course front 9 but with how I was playing it was kind of disappointing, felt I left 3 or 4 strokes out on the course, maybe even 5 if I felt like being greedy.

As it turns out that slow group in front of me had been playing for a chunk of change at least the two guys from the tips were... $25 trash, $25 birdies or better, $50 a side. I guess for some people that is reason enough to play at a snail pace and be super methodical about your golf game.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

My last outing was a week ago but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Usually around my office Fridays are pretty quiet, so last week I decided to go to my usual course (Tijeras Arroyo, Kirtland AFB, NM) and get in a quick 18 before work. I also figured I'd see how I could do without using any club over a 5 iron. I've been a little shaky with the driver, but my irons have been really good so I thought it would be a good experiment. I moved up a tee box (from our usual blues at 6,572 to the silvers at 6,302) to make up for the loss off the tee. I ended up posting my second best score of the year with an 80. Other than a bad swing off of the #2 tee box, I was never in trouble off of the tee and even on the longer holes I was still around a 6-iron out. My short game has been working well and I know those greens like the back of my hand, so it was smooth sailing all day. Only one double, 3 birdies (including the closest I've ever come to a hole-in-one; about 2 inches!), and the rest were pars & bogies. I was very happy.

As I was walking back to the clubhouse, I ran into 2 of my usual golfing buddies getting ready to start the back nine. They asked if I wanted to join them. Of course I did! :) They were playing from the blues so I decided to pull the driver back out of the bag. I played even better on the back nine, putting up a 39! After that we went in back into the clubhouse and got a pitcher of 90 Shilling. After the second pitcher it was around 1:00 and I made a command decision just to head home and retroactively take a vacation day. Another hard day at the office!

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

How many times have you heard me say if you can only get there with a perfectly struck 3 wood, you are better off using an iron, or hybrid and laying up. I did a complete thread on this some weeks ago. I did not even carry a 3 wood for several months. If I had to get the distance, I hit driver off the dirt because I had enough sense to only do that when I had a perfect lie and a wide margin of error, mainly plenty of room to the right because a miss with the driver off the deck is going to go right for me.

I bet you can guess where this story is going.

I had a horrible driving day today, and 6 previous times I found myself only able to hit the green with a perfectly struck 3 wood. On all the par 5's I was too far to reach with anything but a 3 wood in two. So I layed up, and made 3 birdies and a par. Two other times I hit trees with my drive and layed up and made par. Going into the 17th hole I was 1 under par. Hit a tree again and had a perfect lie 246 yards from the green but a wide open shot. I had the hybrid and took a couple of practice swings....

And then got stupid. Nevermind the fact that I had done it many times today, and I was -3 from that far out. My two bogies were from bad bounces into bunkers and then mediocre pitches and missed par putts from 30 feet or more. I should have laid up to 75 yards or so and let my short game take over. I am really good from there. But I went back and got the 3 wood and turned an possible par into triple bogey and had to sink a 12 footer to do that. I not only hit it into the hazard, I hit it into it on a line when after I dropped I could no longer even see the green.

So just like that I turned third sub par round in 3 days into a 74.

Well, there is always tomorrow, and guess what club will not be in the bag.

Today was a quick 9 hole round before heading into work. Good thing only 9 holes too, because at 8:15 this morning it was near 90 degrees and near 90% humidity. It was my usual friday morning round at Capital Hills Golf Course in Albany, NY. A municipal course that is well taken care of and one of the most difficult layouts I have played. After warming up (literally into a sweat) on the range and putting green we headed to the first tee. Good news is that i hit one of my longer and straighter drivers with roll out about 260 yards...bad news is my score on the hole was a snowman. A top shot and 2 sand shots being the culprits.

I had 4 GIR but only one par from them as i 3-putted 3 times. I managed to hit 6 fairways. I had a sand save par on a short par 5 number 8 that should have been a short birdie putt. All in all finished up right on my handicap with a 45. (par for the front 9 is 35)

If you live near the capital district in NY give capital hills a try. Very challenging with tons of bunkers and uneven lies. Fairways are at a premium.

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

Today, when we finally teed off, an hour and half later than planned, with two more people than planned, we were 3 on 3, $2 two downs. My two main competitors, that I have been looking so forward to kicking their butts, were my partners. This was so wrong. For the past 7 to 8 years both of these guys have been my main adversaries. For the past two years it was me verses the two of them and I usually win. Now it was me and them vs three others, and that was just wrong. I could not adjust on the front nine and nothing felt right. I shot a 53/36 for an 89. After 3 holes I was more over par than I have been all week, and could nothing about it.

All of us remarked about how odd it felt to be on the same team. One guy could not putt, one guy could not find the green and one guy (me) could do neither. Once we made the turn all of us played great, and ended up winning the team match. Of course I was way out of the individual match but we are meeting at 8 am to have another go at it.

Just when I am ready to lower my handicap again, I blow up on the front nine and start off with 6 double bogies.

Went on today in the EXTREME HEAT to play nine holes at my home course (par 36). First off, I want to let you guys know that I never was able to hit any iron lower than a 6. I couldnt even get the 5 in the air. After using the new swing in the Golf lesson thread, I can now hit a 3 iron. But, I cannot, and I repeat CANNOT hit my hybrids for some reason. I guess itll take some time on the range to figure that out. Basically, I did not figure out the hybrid thing until the fourth hole.

1st Hole- Very difficult. 4 hybrid off the tee into the rough, 3 hybrid in the rough went nowhere, 9 iron from 150 rough uphill to the back of the green, 3 putted from 80 feet. = Double Bogey (+2)

2nd Hole- Decided to play smart. Hit 3 hybrid off the toe but came out as a push-draw which ended in the fairway, 7 iron to layup, SW to the front of the green. Chipped to three feet. 1 Putt = PAR (+2)

3rd Hole- Hybrid hooked into unplayable lie. Dropped pitched on, 1 putt= Bogey (+3)

4th Hole- Hybrid off the tee went two feet off the ground and barely reached the fairway. Layed up on the par for with a 7 iron. 57 yards out and pushed my pitch a little bit. Unlucky bounce put me in the rough. Chipped on and two-putted for another Double Bogey (+5)

5th Hole- Okay now I am getting worried. I came out today just trying to shoot in the 40s, and Im already in big trouble. I told myself no more hybrids and went on from there. Great drive in the middle of the fairway over water. SW from 110 with too much backspin put me in the middle in the green with a back pin behind a hump. I misjudged the break of the HUGE hump and had 8 feet for par and made it. PAR (+5)

6th Hole- Driver in the fairway. SW from 107 to 7 feet. 2-putted PAR (+5)

7th- Now I come to the hole I hate thinking I have a chance if I play smart. I decide to play a stinger to 190 uphill par 3 (my least favorite hole). I pulled my 5 iron into this HUGE bunker. Took two to get out, then a bad chip and then a good chip and then putts= TRIPLE BOGEY (+8).

8th- Now I realize that if I par out I can have a 44, my goal for this season because I really sucked in my 2.5 years of golf so far. So I try it. I hit a driver dead center down the fairway, lay up accidentally with my hybrid, Lob Wedge from 85 yard rough to 7 feet. 2 putt Par (+8)

9th- Now I AM EXCITED. Some nerves and pushed my drive into the right rough (OB left). I was 157 out in the rough. The green is very skinny but it wide. The pin is tucked front left, tucked behind bunkers. I decided to hit to the middle of the green to try and two putt for my par. I hit it and it drew for some reason and I thought it went into the bunkers. I get to my ball and it is in between the two bunkers. A straight line to the pin has no bunkers. The pin is so close that if I aim for the fringe, and hit the rough, it goes nowhere. If I hit the green, it rolls 15 feet past. From 8 yards out, I stuck the pitch to 1.5 feet. Tap in for a 44!

I was very happy today. I just have to learn to limit my bad holes to just bogeys instead of all of these triples and doubles and I will be okay. And now I know to layoff my hybrids until I go to the range.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Went on today in the EXTREME HEAT to play nine holes at my home course (par 36). First off, I want to let you guys know that I never was able to hit any iron lower than a 6. I couldnt even get the 5 in the air. After using the new swing in the Golf lesson thread, I can now hit a 3 iron. But, I cannot, and I repeat CANNOT hit my hybrids for some reason. I guess itll take some time on the range to figure that out. Basically, I did not figure out the hybrid thing until the fourth hole.

1st Hole- Very difficult. 4 hybrid off the tee into the rough, 3 hybrid in the rough went nowhere, 9 iron from 150 rough uphill to the back of the green, 3 putted from 80 feet. = Double Bogey (+2)

2nd Hole- Decided to play smart. Hit 3 hybrid off the toe but came out as a push-draw which ended in the fairway, 7 iron to layup, SW to the front of the green. Chipped to three feet. 1 Putt = PAR (+2)

3rd Hole- Hybrid hooked into unplayable lie. Dropped pitched on, 1 putt= Bogey (+3)

4th Hole- Hybrid off the tee went two feet off the ground and barely reached the fairway. Layed up on the par for with a 7 iron. 57 yards out and pushed my pitch a little bit. Unlucky bounce put me in the rough. Chipped on and two-putted for another Double Bogey (+5)

5th Hole- Okay now I am getting worried. I came out today just trying to shoot in the 40s, and Im already in big trouble. I told myself no more hybrids and went on from there. Great drive in the middle of the fairway over water. SW from 110 with too much backspin put me in the middle in the green with a back pin behind a hump. I misjudged the break of the HUGE hump and had 8 feet for par and made it. PAR (+5)

6th Hole- Driver in the fairway. SW from 107 to 7 feet. 2-putted PAR (+5)

7th- Now I come to the hole I hate thinking I have a chance if I play smart. I decide to play a stinger to 190 uphill par 3 (my least favorite hole). I pulled my 5 iron into this HUGE bunker. Took two to get out, then a bad chip and then a good chip and then putts= TRIPLE BOGEY (+8).

8th- Now I realize that if I par out I can have a 44, my goal for this season because I really sucked in my 2.5 years of golf so far. So I try it. I hit a driver dead center down the fairway, lay up accidentally with my hybrid, Lob Wedge from 85 yard rough to 7 feet. 2 putt Par (+8)

9th- Now I AM EXCITED. Some nerves and pushed my drive into the right rough (OB left). I was 157 out in the rough. The green is very skinny but it wide. The pin is tucked front left, tucked behind bunkers. I decided to hit to the middle of the green to try and two putt for my par. I hit it and it drew for some reason and I thought it went into the bunkers. I get to my ball and it is in between the two bunkers. A straight line to the pin has no bunkers. The pin is so close that if I aim for the fringe, and hit the rough, it goes nowhere. If I hit the green, it rolls 15 feet past. From 8 yards out, I stuck the pitch to 1.5 feet. Tap in for a 44!

I was very happy today. I just have to learn to limit my bad holes to just bogeys instead of all of these triples and doubles and I will be okay. And now I know to layoff my hybrids until I go to the range.

I do not think this is the thread for lessons but what the hell, I will say this anyway. As a higher handicapper, you should probably sick with nothing more than a 7 iron from the rough. The rescue clubs are a lie. They will not rescue your ass from anywhere but the fairway. Grass typically gets caught between the clubface and the ball. Grass contains water, water is incompressible. Even if you are able to get the ball out of the rough, it will have no spin and it will run through the green leaving you a bad low percentage putt. Your best option, until you get really good with the short game is play the second shot so that you have an easier third shot.

This brings up another point, the purpose of you tee shot is to leave yourself and easy second shot. The purpose of your second shot is to leave yourself an easier third shot. The purpose of your third shot is to leave yourself an easy putt into the hole. Play for par and you may get lucky and make birdie, but never loose site of the fact that par is better than most people get.

Bogey golf is not bad either. But you made 5 of 9 pars. If you follow this philosophy and would have gotten 4 bogies to go with those 5 pars, you would have shot a 40 and reached your goal.

But if you read my post you can see that I also shot a 53 on the front 9 today so what do I know. :P

Thanks for all of the advice! I'll keep your tips in mind

But if you read my post you can see that I also shot a 53 on the front 9 today so what do I know. :P

Yeah, but I look at your handicap and see a 5 which makes me jealous :D

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Today was a lot of good shots with bad results, a lot of bad shots with good results, and a lot of good shots with good results. I hit a 7 iron on a par 3 which hit the flagstick and bounced 35 feet away. One of the other guys bladed it into a tree and it bounced up on the green and left him a 2 foot birdie. Earlier this same guy had a 3 foot birdie putt, the result of a good hit, and totally missed read the putt, and then totally mishit the putt but after a string of curses it fell in the hole and he acted like that was what was planned all along. That happened all day long.

No, FLV, keep them in your phone...Though the advice and tips are sent with the best of intentions, you're doin just fine taking the path that you're on...Stay on it & keep the advice/tips in the phone...You'll get to 5 soon enough..

The Best......

Fairways & Greens 4ever..........

If you say so. Thanks for thinking I can actually get to 5 :). I hope it happens some day. I just wish I started the game earlier so that I could have competed. I was always baseball, basketball, hockey, and football. Since my dad didnt play golf, I was never introduced to the game. Then my uncle opened a golf store, and all my other uncles decided to introduce me and my dad to the game three years ago. Now Im obsessed with it. I just feel like if I would have started earlier than three years ago, I would have actually been good by this time. But you cant go back in time. I have made my goal to play in the qualifier for my county amateur next year. Only time will tell if that will happen. Right now I am just glad I joined this forum 2.5 months ago. My game has improved so much thanks to all of you guys.