Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

12 of 14 Fairways hit. 295 yard average. 12 GIR including 3 out of 4 par 3's with 8 birdie putts inside 10 feet. BUT 40 + putts. Every hole I was on the wrong side and missed 6 of those birdie putts leaving really hard par putts. I did not putt that badly they were all side hill breakers on really fast greens. Getting the ball to check up on the chips was horrible. You would think it was just about to stop and roll another 4 to 5 feet. Then to top it off there was a 16 mph breeze. So you had to factor in wind, grain, and slope. I became too mechanical with my putting and fought my Instict Putting most of the day. I did not have one "Gimme Putt" all day.:angry:

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

You guys dont have to read this long thing. I just like replaying the round in my head, which is why I will do this after every round.

BTW my course has a very high slope and a high rating, which is why my handicap is a 16, so 44 is not a normal score for me there.

Played nine holes today. It was not another 44 like last time, but it could have been. Double Bogeyed #1 like I always do (what do you expect when the first hole is the 2nd hardest on the whole course). Par on 2 with a 15 foot putt. Double Bogeyed three because of a very unfortunate bounce. The fourth is a dogleg left. The fairway turns at a 90 degree angle so the green is actually reachable off the tee. The problem is, OB goes along the left side of the fairway tight. There is actually barely any rough on the left side.

4.jpg

When I was hitting my hybrids well (and when I was that was all that I was hitting well) I would cut the corner and have had either pars or birdies. But after the double bogey last time when I was playing well, I decided to just hit my brand new 4 wood. I thought I would push it like I did on the range and on the tee shot on second, so I aimed at the left side of the dogleg. (BTW, it was a beautiful push. Not too much, dead straight, and FAR) I ended up hitting a draw directly OB. It ended up being my second double bogey in a row. Next hole, I was waiting on the tee box for 25 minutes because the course got backed up, got cold, hit my driver behind the ball for a total of like 15 yards. Went from the blues (3 tee) to in front of the ladies tees (1 tee) At least it did not go into the water (I am putting pictures up because I like doing that with every post :). Oh, and the 1 tee is 301, not 201. That was a typo on my course's website)

5.jpg

I decided to take out my 4 wood and try to hit a hook over the water and onto the green. I was 295 yards away so I did not expect anything good but I tried. I ended up at the 35 yard mark. Pitched on, and 1 putted from 12 feet. That was a hell of a par. Next hole, I hit my drive to 70 yards from the pin and tried to hit it onto the left side of the green (pin was front in the middle) because I was behind a tree, but the ball clipped the tree and dropped. When it dropped it landed underneadth the tree and 2 inches from the cartpath. I took a free drop from the cartpath, because my wedge would have broken with my swing, and hit it to 6 feet and 1 putted. My least favorite hole was next and I tried to draw my 5 iron, and it ended up going straight, pitched out from the trees, chipped on, 2 putt= DOUBLE BOGEY (an improvement from the triple bogey last round). I did not look at the scorecard, but just so you know, we are at a score of 35. If I par in like I did last round, I have another 44 with not so great golf. I don't know this, and just am excited about my favorite scoring hole.

My favorite scoring hole is a long par-5 and I hit my tee shot and it landed in the fairway bunker 285 away. No big deal, hit my 7 iron, and am in the middle of the fairway 135 to a front pin tucked behind 2 bunkers. I decide to go right at it, thinking if I hit it long, I am safe, if I hit right, I'll have birdie, and if I am short I land in the bunker, which I have no problem from (well, that particular bunker I don't have a problem with). The ideal play was for me to have my 9 iron hit the top of the hill of rough after the greenside bunker and let it trickle down to the hole. That is what I usually do on pitch shots from around that green over there and it works out. So hit a beautiful 9 iron going directly at the pin. As it lowered I got a smirk on my face because it looked like it was going to hit the top of the rough and trickle down. But, it landed 6 inches below that mark and plugged in the lip of the bunker. If it trickled down into the bunker, I would have been happy. It plugged in the lip. I tried my best to get it out, but my attempt had it going behind me back in the bunker. I ended up with a double bogey. At that point, I am a little upset, but I still was having fun out there. The ninth I hit a drive to 95 yards, it a lob wedge that caught the wrong side of a slope when it spun back, and 2 putted from 20 feet to end with a par.

Score:46

4 Pars

5 Double Bogeys (Again, its all about managing my misses better)

+10

FIR:3/7

GIR:2/9

Putts:15 (4 one putts)

Penalties: 1 STUPID PENALTY

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Finally having the stomach to look at this thread because the doctor cleared me to play golf today!!!!! B) B) :D :) I'm so happy, happy, happy!

Jim Thorpe - you dog JP - that's awesome -

6 times plugged jmiller - I'd be ranting too. You must be right on the cut line between bent and bermuda - I miss bent grass but we have this new strain of bermuda that only needs to be plugged once a year - not bad when you can play year round.

While Rover Rick's advice is dead on in that you shouldn't be hitting anything out of the rough that won't get out of the rough and that the idea behind each shot is to make the next one easier (I really like that) I do believe that hybrids are very easy to hit out of the rough - easier in fact than a middle iron. You need to move the ball back in the stance a bit to make your swing more upright and if there's a lot of grass don't worry about catching it a bit fat - you can chase those suckers a long, long way using that technique - just make sure you aim for a spot that will leave you an easy chip/pitch if you miss the green. What you won't be able to do is hit that shot over a bunker or some other hazzard and get it to hold. Most people make the mistake of trying to hit a home run when a double will do FLV.

Try it - you'll like it.

Alright weather permitting I'm playing nine holes tomorrow evening (I'd normally play 18 on friday - my day off but I'm starting this comeback slow.)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Finally having the stomach to look at this thread because the doctor cleared me to play golf today!!!!! B) B) :D :) I'm so happy, happy, happy!

6 times plugged jmiller - I'd be ranting too. You must be right on the cut line between bent and bermuda - I miss bent grass but we have this new strain of bermuda that only needs to be plugged once a year - not bad when you can play year round.

While Rover Rick's advice is dead on in that you shouldn't be hitting anything out of the rough that won't get out of the rough and that the idea behind each shot is to make the next one easier (I really like that) I do believe that hybrids are very easy to hit out of the rough - easier in fact than a middle iron. You need to move the ball back in the stance a bit to make your swing more upright and if there's a lot of grass don't worry about catching it a bit fat - you can chase those suckers a long, long way using that technique - just make sure you aim for a spot that will leave you an easy chip/pitch if you miss the green. What you won't be able to do is hit that shot over a bunker or some other hazzard and get it to hold. Most people make the mistake of trying to hit a home run when a double will do FLV.

Try it - you'll like it.

Alright weather permitting I'm playing nine holes tomorrow evening (I'd normally play 18 on friday - my day off but I'm starting this comeback slow.)

Thanks for the advice rev. I'm glad you'll be making it back on the course. I'm looking forward to your post tomorrow!

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Just hoping to get the ball airborn and moving in the right direction. I have been to the putting green twice, chipped once and hit about two dozen balls the other day - most of them went generally towards what I was aiming at.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Revkev, first I am happy you get to go back on the course so soon. Second, I do not know about you but I do not always practice what I preach. (Sorry, could not resist the expression. :rolleyes:) (The devil made me do it.:lol:) But I often hit a hybrid out of the rough. but on the really thick stuff I give it a second thought always have that thought in my head. Is this grass too tall or too thick to get the ball out. Would I be better with a definate 150 yard shot rather than a either a 20 or a 200 depending on how I catch it.

Tueday evening, after a near wiff on a tee shot, and after I found my ball in the knee high weeds, I went for the 200 yard hybrid because a 150 yard 7 iron shot would have left me 175 from the pin for my third shot. I was wanting to have a 9 iron or a pitching wedge for my third shot and get up and down for par. So instead of a 175 yard shot for my third shot, I had a ...wait for it ... 265 yard shot from the same knee high crap I just hit out of except not quite as good a lie. I hit a pitching wedge about 100 and got to make my fourth shot from about 165. Got on the green and had a 10'er for bogey. I took a 6 because I wanted to make a heck of a par.

So the one thing I would add to your comment is that sometimes a single is better than a double. That is especially true with bogies.

Try it - you'll like it.

If you were closer, I'd drag you out to play. Tomorrow however is gonna be a pushing triple digit scorcher, so it's probably better that you aren't here :-D

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Today's round nearly mirrored last weeks. Snowman on hole one 545 yard par 5. Double bogeys hole two. Terrible start. Missed the GIR on 3, but chipped in the hole from off the green for birdie. The rest of the round was nondescript. Bogeys and pars. Finished with a 43 which is right where I normally play. I'm actually proud of myself for not letting the round blow up after the triple double.

What's my Handicap? Just look in my Golf Bag. Every club in there is my handicap.

Alright made it through 9 - It wasn't pretty 4 pars, 5 bogeys - the body just didn't want to do what it needed to do but it's a start. Had no legs - hit lots of pull hooks -

I actually found myself in exactly the scenario we've talked about here - duck hooked a drive into 3 inches of bermuda rough - It was on a par 5 so a lay up was in order - played the 4 hybrid back in the stance and banged it out straight down the fairway to the 100.

I would not be able to make that play from knee high rough however. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Shot 74 but buddy shot lifetime low of 71. Lost $18 Bad luck. 1 bird and three bogies does not beat 2 boggies and 3 birdies.

Visit the link to see a snapshot from my round: My Round

I played from one tee up today because I was playing with my uncles. They said I could play from the other tees, but I thought it would be good to hit clubs I do not normally use on my home course.

HIGHLIGHTS:

I hit my 4 wood AWESOME all day. I love that new club. On holes where I could not use my driver, I would play a TW stinger with it. It was going dead straight 245. I'll take that every day.

I had a bunch of very good shots, and managed the course well on most holes. I know when to take my chances now, and when to just hit the green.

Made some nice putts, including a 12 foot downhill left to right birdie putt on 9. But I did not figure out the speeds of the green until that hole. They cut the greens this morning and a lot faster than they were yesterday.

Another 44 on the front!

LOWLIGHTS:

Did not figure out the greenspeed until the 9th hole. I was hitting to the middle and backs of greens, but could not two putt like I normally do because I did not have the feel. I had 4 three putts on the front nine. And this season, I have averaged 1.93 putts per hole. So I was definitely not used to three putts. After I figured out the greens, my putting went back to normal.

I had 4 penalties. The one on the front nine was me just being overagressive, and I had no problem with that. It almost cleared the water, but needed 6 inches higher trajectory. That was more me not knowing what club to hit off the tee because of the shorter hole. I had 3 Penalties on the back nine! 2 on one hole!

The final 5 holes are notorious for being very difficult, and people have not returned to the course saying that the final five holes discouraged them from coming back. I let the difficulties get into my head. I hit a great drive which took a bad bounce, and landed in the high rough I was talking about before. I decided to use a 7-iron just to get it out and then over the hazard, which was 80 yards away. Thats my 165 club for 80 yards. The ROUGH WAS SO HEAVY AND THICK THAT MY BALL LANDED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE HAZARD. Then I went for the green from 250 yards out with a low 4 wood, but it clipped some of the high weeds in the hazard (the rough in the hazard is 6 feet tall) of the clubface, and instead of going through, it died. Anyway, I let holes get into my head which I really should not.

REVIEW:

Had a lot of great shots and some shots I know I could have prevented. I know for next time.

Played my first round with the Wilson Staff C:25 that I was fitted for online. Loved it off the driver, it went a ton! But SUCKED around the greens. We are talking NO SPIN WHATSOEVER. I played the same shots with the Callaway i(s) and it would bite everytime. The Wilson actually prevented me from getting a couple of birdie chances. I would hit a wedge to the pin and it would roll. I even hit a 300 yard drive on a short par 4 and had 42 to the pin. I took a 3/4 wedge shot with a lot of loft and it rolled 15 feet past the hole. And it rolled uphill! I was shocked! Still, nothing I have hit compares to it off the tee. Right now the Callaway i(s) is winning in the golf ball battle. It's next opponent is the Nike 20XI-S. After that, I will try to get a dozen Penta TP3 and FG Tour (that was what the fitting really said but they were expensive on Amazon where I had a $10 coupon) on eBay for as low as the callaways and nikes ($23) and if not, I will choose between the Nike and Callaway and make that my ball until I can not find it anymore.

I LOVE MY NEW 4 WOOD!

Final Score: 92.

IM GETTING THERE! haha :lol:

It's really nice to read about someone with so much enthusiasm for the game FLV and great round RR although winning money would have made it better!

That's exactly what I shot the round before I got sick, 74, in competition - I'll be back there in a couple of weeks. I could tell - I hit enough good shots yesterday to know - just hit a few ugly ones and far worse didn't get up and down a single time even though I had three very easy chips and really one pretty straight forward trap shot.

I don't get to play this weekend because I have church this evening and don't want to wear myself out and I rarely play on Sundays for obvious reasons - I will take shag bag with to church, leave an hour early and chip and then hit the range tomorrow to hit a few balls and the trap and putting green.

I get to play twice, perhaps even three times next week and three times the week after that so I should be up or down to par in a few weeks.

Happy to be back in the game regardless - you can't win if you don't play.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played this morning and played fairly well. Should've broke par were it not for a few tough breaks.

It was 93 degrees when I arrived at the range at 8:00 to get loose. I hit everything on the range terribly and thought to myself I was in for a long day. Wasn't the case at all. I shot one of my best rounds in a few weeks and did it by staying away from the driver, which has been giving me FITS lately. I hit it 4 times all day, 3 on par 5's, 1 on a very reachable par 4 on a tough CC course and hit my 13 degree 3 wood the rest of the holes (including 1 par 5). I missed 3 of 4 fairways with the driver, I missed 1 of 10 of the remaining holes I hit the 3 wood on. That's 10 of 14 fairways hit, which is really revealing when I look back at the scorecard. They're in the process of growing the rough up for their club championship in a few weeks, so it's really penal right now.

Round started with a bang. First hole is a 400 yard par 4 that dogleg's left. Normally, here, I'd have taken a driver and cut the corner and left myself with a chip shot in. Today, I decided I was going to play with a strategy of only hitting driver on the par 5's (save the very reachable par 4, #10). I grab the trusty 3 wood (which at this point is almost point and shoot for me) and rip a low boring draw around the corner. I hit this club on average of 265 and can stretch it to 275 if I hit this low boring runner. I had a gap wedge left to the green. Pin was in the back on the right side. I decided to hit it to the back 3rd, in the center of the green and executed the shot flawlessly. Hit it to 15 feet and run the putt in for a birdie (didn't hit a practice putt all morning, was busy trying to iron out the swing).

Good start. The next 2 holes were drive to the center of the fairway, hit PW, 2 putt par. Next one was miss par 3 long (ball was carrying like crazy today in the high heat and humidity). Chipped it to a foot and made the par putt. Next hole, I hit the 3 wood and miss left (only miss all day with it). Punched out of the woods back through the fairway and hit the approach to the worst possibly place within 5 feet. On the slope behind it and it plugged because they were watering. Normally, it spins back there, not with it wet. So I unplug it, repair the mark, and putt the ball (I say putt, I touched it and let it roll). Roll it did, 8 feet past the pin. Putted that one and lipped it out, and ended up taking a double bogey 6. Next hole, hit the green 15 feet right, 2 putt par. Bogeyed the par 5 on the next hole (first time I hit my driver all day and missed left.) Chopped my 3 wood out absolutely murdered to 50 yards short of the green (it's a 535 yard par 5 that plays all uphill, I can get there, but not with where I drove the ball because it hit and died, nestling down in the now thicker rough. Not a bad miss normally, but today it was because they are growing the rough up). Ground was wet and I hit the chip fat. Chipped it to 10 feet from there and 2 putt bogeyed. Bogeyed the next hole by hitting my approach in the sand and then it was PACKED and I tried to chip it out instead of splashing (because the sand is hard and you can't splash it). Caught it a little thin and it went over the green (they're rolling at a 12 right now there, and it came out lower than I wanted and when it hit it had zero spin so it kept rolling and rolling). Rolled 5 feet off the green, and into a little ditch like depression. Couldn't putt, even though I'm in the fairway 5 feet from the green. Chip it to 2 feet and make the bogey putt. Parred the next hole with a drive to the center of the fairway approach to 12 feet and 2 putt par. 9 is a par 5 that doglegs 90 degrees right and it 75 feet uphill from that bend. I hit the 3 wood here to perfect position 215 yards from the green right next to the creek at the dogleg. I hit my 5 wood a touch higher than intended and it landed at the little hill right in front of the green that they keep watered and it plugged. Chipped to 6 feet and had a downhill sweeper that lipped out costing me a birdie. Finish the side at +3, 39. No biggie, I score better on the back usually anyway.

10 in a drivable par 4, but there's little margin for error, there's 3 bunkers green side and 2 are between the tee box and green. Hit a high cut like intended (this hole plays 313 yardage wise, but it's 279 to the front edge of the green with the slope accounted for (same one you came up going to 9, you go back down to 10, I've eagled and birdied this hole a bunch). I was timid because I was hitting driver, which I'd only done once at this point in the round because I've been hitting it poorly. At this point, I'm not real worried because the onyl trouble is a creek short that wraps around waaaay right of the green. I line up 25 yards left and am trying to hit a real high cut and let it ride the left to right wind. Hit the cut and it's tracking beautifully. Right until the wind stops and it stops cutting hard. Lands in the bunker long (which is the best bunker to miss in on this hole with the hole location, as it was back right, so I've got nearly the whole green to work with). Bunker is again PACKED. I try to chip, but this time with the 60 instead of the 56. Catch it a hair thin again and it doesn't check until the second bound, right at the back edge and it trickles off down the hill 10 feet off the green in the rough. Chip up to a foot and make the par. 11, par 5, hit driver and hit the fairway (only one I hit). Left side of the fairway, open look at the green from 215 yards. Flat and framed nicely by the two front bunkers that have a gap between them. I smoke the 4/21 hybrid and it hits the front edge, releases, tracking right at the pin, and disappears. I'm thinking double eagle because we can't see it. Get to the green and it rolled right past and behind the pin and stops at 6 inches. Kick in eagle, and at -2 on the side so far. I'm thinking okay, still a good chance at getting back to even par. Go par, par, par hitting 2 fairways, hitting it to 15 feet and 2 putting, and hitting the longer par 3 on the course to 17 feet and lipping out the birdie. Bogey 15 because I hit it in the left side of the fairway and it's blocked by trees to the green, have to try to hit a big Bubba type hook, pull it off, but the wind keeps if from hooking back to the green. Hit a decent, but not great chip that checks DEAD at 12 feet, 2 putt bogey. Par 3, stuffed to 6 feet and lip out the downhiller. Par 4, miss the green left from 130 yards with a W in my hand(pulled it) and it kicks dead left off the hill there down into the edge of the woods and is sitting up on a pile of leaves. Take several practice swings in the leaves near it to try and decide on the shot. Forgot that I was on a sidehill and hit it exactly like I want. Sidehill lie created a little sidespin and it spun right of the flag to 10 feet. Leave the putt hanging on the lip, hop, skip, jump, put my shadow over the hole(not really, sounds good though), nothing makes it drop. Tap in the bogey. Par 5 18, almost miss the ball with my driver and hit it in the fairway, it bounds like it's on concrete to the first cut left of the fairway. Hit the 5 wood and hit a pull draw left of the green (uphill par 5, wanted it left right on front of the green for an easy chip to a back right pin placement. Instead, pull it with a draw and end up getting a hop off a sprinkler head that bounds it back to pin high left in what's nearly long enough to pass as deep rough. Ball settles down and I decided (after changing clubs 3 different times) I'm going to hack at it with the 64 and hope it lands soft enough to stop. It comes out high out of the lie (wasn't expecting that at all) and it lands as soft as you please, rolling to 12 feet short. 2 putt par (lipping out another birdie) to finish at even for the side, and +3 75. Won money though, especially since they wanted to play a 3 putt game on top of the dollar skins with all trash. I didn't 3 putt when it was on me, hadn't gotten to me yet. I got it the hole after the 1 three putt I had and didn't 3 putt again, keeping it and winning the $5 for that bet. Ended up making $45 on 2 guys (the 4th quit after 5 holes because they'd driven all day yesterday coming home from vacation and his back was bothering).

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I finally made a birdie putt, today on the 14th hole. I had had 11 birdies attempts up to this point. That is 11 of 14 GIR, and 11 par putts of 6 inches or less. Great putts all of them that just did not go in the hole. I birdied the next hole also, and a great up and down on the 16th. So total of 12 GIRs great putts that did not go in the hole. But were read almost perfectly. Had a few mental errors. Sat up to hit a fade and than intentionally made a draw swing which of course pushed the shot right into the lake. I also hit the perfect chip that ran and ran and ran. I went to put the wedge back in the bag wondering how it could have run that far and noticed it was an 8 iron. And pushed the 3' putt that would have won the team bet, and the individual bet, so I ended up with a 4 way tie for first spliting $40 instead of winning the $70 individual and $40 team bet. We also tied the team bet. While my team should have been much stronger than the other team, my teammates had a horrible back 9 and I shot a 38/37 for a 75.

The rest of the weekend was much like today. I started out all three days with a lot of pars with lots of GIR and lots of missed birdie putts but I got down on myself for not scoring as well as I thought I should and started trying too hard and made poor decisions and had poor back nines on Friday and Saturday. The heat was exhausting also. However, my high round for the weekend was like 81 so it is not like I was stinking it up.

I just realized that on Friday it was a 74 and the only reason my back nine was poor, a 37, was because the guy I kept waiting to hit a bad shot, shot a 35. Other than that it was pretty good. He and I were on different teams all week end because we were the hot players. I had a bad back nine yesterday and today he played back to his normal score. Unfortunately, we had four people who scored 4 better than there normal scores which is what caused the teams to end in a tie. I shot 75 but three of the higher handicappers shot 85, 85, and 87 which in our scoring system that makes a tie.

I've been very busy the past few days assimilating back into work!!!

So I went to play in my league yesterday evening. Tee'd off at 3.45 and normally I'll be done by 7:30.

I was much stronger than last Friday which was great. :)

But..... not so great because with my reshafted stronger 3 wood I drove it into a trap I normally don't reach with that club on number 1. :angry:

But.... I putted really well which was great. :)

But....... the first two 8 footers that I ran in were for bogey. :angry:

But....... the next one was for birdie. :)

But......... it started to thunder, lightening and pour. :angry:

So I had my lowest round ever - 14!!!!!!!! :)

And I got a rain check to go get rained out again any afternoon after 3 because that's the kind of guys they are at my course. :angry:

Got to love golf in Florida in the summer.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I met two of my three lawyer friends this afternoon, the third was supposed to be there but something came up. I started the round with a par and they both bogied the first hole, so I was 1 up. On the second hole, I pulled my drive out of bounds. Very unusual for me on that hole. Then short sided myself, leaving a difficult up and down, and double bogied the hole. They both tied with pars. After that, I hit every fairway and green. I had 15 putts in 10 holes and was 4 under par. Six birdies in 8 holes. We were walking off the 10th hole that I had just birdied and they said, "we quit." "The course is backed up, it is hot. You are kicking our butts, and we can not win even if one of us wins all of the remaining holes you still win. Let's go to the bar and talk about how you kicked our a$$es and at least stop sweating." Part of me would have liked to see how low I could have gone but the Wednesday evening crowd was starting to get there and we had to wait 10 minutes on 10 and there was another group waiting to tee off on 11, one in the fairway, and one on the green. And the wind had quit and it was hot so I took their money and praise.

I've been very busy the past few days assimilating back into work!!!

So I went to play in my league yesterday evening. Tee'd off at 3.45 and normally I'll be done by 7:30.

I was much stronger than last Friday which was great. :)

But..... not so great because with my reshafted stronger 3 wood I drove it into a trap I normally don't reach with that club on number 1. :angry:

But.... I putted really well which was great. :)

But....... the first two 8 footers that I ran in were for bogey. :angry:

But....... the next one was for birdie. :)

But......... it started to thunder, lightening and pour. :angry:

So I had my lowest round ever - 14!!!!!!!! :)

And I got a rain check to go get rained out again any afternoon after 3 because that's the kind of guys they are at my course. :angry:

Got to love golf in Florida in the summer.

I thought it rained everyday in the summer in Florida at 2:30. At least we I was installing equipment every afternoon it would cloud up, get nice and cool for about 15 minutes and rain for about 5 to 10 minutes and then the sun would come out and get unbearably hot the rest of the afternoon. Every stinking day.

That's central Florida RR.

It's generally nicer over here on the West Coast - That sun is still strong but we get as many days in the 80's as in the 90's because of the sea breeze - we're stuck in a pattern where we aren't getting our sea breeze which is letting the heat build during the day and then dump once it gets to around 4 - hopefully something will come by and break the cycle.

Hope you also enjoyed a few drinks with the guys along with the praise - I still have to be carefull about drinking which made being stuck out on the course for an hour until the rain let up enough to get in the other night a big time pain. But, the nice thing about living in a place like Texas or Florida is that there is always another day to play and in a few months when are buddies here are winding down - we'll be cranking up. B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I was 2 under through 5 holes despite a tightness in my right hamstring. I felt a pull on my tee shot on the sixth hole and ended up 12 over par. Eight beers seemed to counteract the affects of a pulled muscle but what the heck. It still did not help my putting. My playing partners were giving me grief that the six strokes I was giving were not enough and then this happens. I lost big time. Drives were still fine, second shots were still ok, however could not concentrate on chips and putts. Getting in the putting stance was excrutiating. And thus putting was horrible.

Edit: I hate getting old. There was a time a pulled muscle would not even cause a second thought.

I feel your pain RR -

I'm 55 - I can't get out of the car and walk to the first tee cold anymore unless I want to risk missing a month of golf.

Oh well at least we're still playing and at times playing rather well.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well, that was an interesting round...

Decided to squeeze in as many holes as I could between rain storms tonight. Hit the 1st tee box @ about 5:45, no warm up, no practice. Tee'd it up, and popped the drive out there to about 120 out. PW to the green, with a little check, and a 5 foot putt that sinks for bird.

2nd tee, crush it with just a hint of draw, ending up in a bunker that is normally simply not even in play. As in, normally a good tee shot leaves me just short of the bunker, and I generally go right at it because that lie gives me the best angle to the the 85 yard layup area. Look at the lie in the sand. in the bottom of a relatively flat bunker. The safe play is a 6 iron to leave myself about 65-55 yard lob to the green. Pin is up, and the lie is such that I should be able to pick the ball pretty clean. So... 3 hybrid? you betcha. just a crisp pick and I am sitting pretty about 20 feet from the pin. Short the putt by 2 feet, tap in for birdie.

Yep, feeling good, no warm up and the 18 handicapper goes birdie birdie to open it up...

3rd tee, the box sets up to launch you a little right. Adjust accordingly, and take the shot. Well, I over corrected and instead of center fairway 160 away with a clean approach, I am now sitting left edge on a small hill that is an island of short rough in the middle of the fairway. Feet below the ball, and a water hazard intruding into the line from the left. All I need is clean contact, and I should be golden. Well, not gonna happen. A little chunky with the 7 iron and I've got that it's gonna be short feeling. But, I get across the water, on the fringe... and the ball checks back and rolls into the water :(. Take my drop on the front edge of the water in the drop area, chip up, 2 putt and hello 7 on a par 4. Blah!

4th tee, it is starting the threaten rain, but no lightning or thunder. The tee box is back at the 168 mark for the par 3. With the wind, it's probably playing closer to 180. 6i it is. Nice stroke, and the ball is traveling nicely, until it gets to the end of the flight, when the wind swirls a bit and it pulls left and plugs between the green and the left side trap. A tough chip leaves me with a 20 footer for par. It looks great all the way to the hole where it lips out leaving a tap in for bogey.

5th tee and the the clouds are really getting dark. Now the 5th at the goat is a nasty par 5. I love it. 240 to an oblique left, another 200 to an oblique right (with a 60 foot tall bushy pine tree in the fairway to really piss you off) narrow, with different landing elevations for both. Strike a lovely drive into the hill on the right side of the fairway to bounce and roll into the middle of the fairway. 3h at about 80% for the second shot, and sitting a little short of where I wanted to be. Oh well, hood a 7i to play under the branches to approach the green. bounce and roll to the front edge, putt from the fringe, get to within 6 feet and misread the line by about 2 inches leaving an 8 inch come backer. Oh well, another bogey.

Par 3 #6, coming up. Trying to get fancy because of the pin placement ( front right ), I play for a draw aiming right of the right edge, playing for a draw into the hill just of fthe green to bounce it down towards the pin. Unfortunately, I failed to account for a low hanging branch which I promptly hit and get to hit my second shot from the ladies tee box :-). punch the ball onto the green with the 56, a little left and long, which I promptly 2 putt. Another bogey.

Par 4 #7, is a lovely hole. tee to pin is looking to be about 315, slightly uphill (about 20-30 feet) with a brisk tail wind. Hmm. I actually hate this hole. Bunkers guarding both left and right front edges, another off the back right, with about a 20 foot wide entrance. If you miss short, the entire fairway is a sloping affair back towards a valley 20 feet below the tee box, with a ridge that funnels everything either right or left from the middle of the fairway. The rain is threatening... What the hell. Driver ho!. Son of a gun, that thing took off like a cannon shot. drawing oh so softly. It's got a chance. Bam! a peel of thunder just about startles me out of my skin. Dammit, where was that ball? Hop in the cart, and race to the green. Wow, the ball is sitting 15 feet from the pin, on the green, but that's thunder, and probably lightning, and I'm not messing with them. Pick up the ball, jump in the cart and start working back towards the clubhouse. At this course, the furthest point from the clubhouse is the tee box on 9, so I am a long way from the club house, and the bottom has dropped out. It is officially wet out.

So, around the tee at 8, hang a right back towards the 11th tee, another right to slip across 13, back to 14. Watching the clouds and the rain, the storm is passing. The sun is peaking back out, and by the time we hit the 17th tee, we've caught up with the two groups in front of us. Both are about to play 17. It's clear enough. The hell with it. U turn to 16 and we'll play it home.

16 is always an interesting par 4. 220 tree lined yards out to a 90 degree dog leg left. Play to the left side of the landing zone and you are sitting with a 70 yard lob or gap to the wide but shallow green, at the same elevation. Unfortunately between you and the green is a creek about 30 feet below you. In other words, don't be short ! Misjudge how much distance the wet conditions will cost me, I play a 4i, but should have played the 3h. Well short of the turn, the only option is a lob to the lay up target, then pitch over. pitch to the green and PLUG. I mean plug. Half the ball depth. Yah, it rained pretty hard, get lucky and make the putt from about 12 feet. A par. dang that feels good.

17, short and I mean short par 3. Tee off with a PW, touchdown 30 feet from the pin, pin high and right edge. Hit the long putt to about 3 feet and tap in. Another par.

To 18 we go. The rain is threatening to return, so time to hustle. Set up on the tee, and think that this has been a lot of fun. Take the backswing, and bang. That ball is OUTTA here. I lost it visually off the face of the club. Absolutely no clue where it went. Fortunately my playing partner saw it. We head up to find the shot. I guess I really lost it visually since it came to rest about 20 yards past the 150 marker, dead center in the fairway. Sitting 130 from the pin, with a pin placement that says the easier putt is past the pin. Swing away, and the 9i is up, up and away. Almost no check, and the ball comes to rest about 12 feet past he pin. A long putt just comes up short and trickles about 6 feet away. Give it a tap, and in the hole we go, finishing 18 with a par.

So yeah, it was 9 holes in a strange order.

In the end I played better than it felt, had a great time, and the rain promptly start back in earnest about a mile from the clubhouse on the way home... It's still raining, 4 hours later...

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

After golf, I worked from 4 pm to 5 am on a project, yesterday. Played golf at 9 am today. I do not remember how I played, not bad I think but took a nap from 2 until 8:30 tonight and it was great. Best nap ever. Going back to bed now. 7:45 tee time.

Edit: I just remembered that on one hole I missed the green, correct distance but 95 yards right. How can you miss the green my 95 yards? I was 200 yards out, two out of three competitors went in the water, the third hit a tree and was still 200+ out. I was 198. I was planning on cutting it around a tree and clearing the lake. When I saw what they had done, I decided to hit it easy and layup just short but out in the fairway. I hit the ball and double crossed it and crushed it with a huge draw. Traveled 220 yards and way right. Had 95 yards back to flag. Stuck the pitch to about 10 feet and won the hole. I have never come in from that direction before.:P

Played a round on Wednesday and it was sooo bad that I did not even post it. I basically lost my swing. So I played today, and had the worst tee jitters that I have had in a while. I was shanking still on the range so I did not know what to expect. I hit the fairway on the first with my 4H, and then hit a 7 iron fat from a bad lie in the fairway (at least it got over the hazard) and then finessed a SW from an uphill 93 yards to 4 feet and parred the 1st for the first time ever.

2nd hole I hit my 3H in the fairway, layed up with my 7 iron, pulled a SW pin high in the rough, chipped with a 9 iron to 4 feet, and parred.

3rd Hole- Decided to go short on the par 3 because I did not have my confidence yet. Chipped to 5 feet (stupid bowl of a green) and 2 putted with a rim out (RIM OUT TOTAL COST:1 STROKE)

4th Hole- Instead of cutting the corner, I decided to hit a 3H top the dogleg. I hit it too hard and went into the fairway bunker straight ahead (the 240 3H did give me some confidence). Hit the PW out of the fairway bunker fat. Pulled me 62* a little bit and it spun back of the green (Gotta love the 20XI-S ;) ) into a bunker. Hit a great shot right at the pin but it didnt have enough to get up the bowl completely and had a tricky 6 foot uphill putt. I 2 putted for a DOUBLE :(

5th- Great shot over the water. Hit my Lob Wedge to the right rough pin high (compensated for the pull and hit it straight) Hit a terrible chip that went to 9 feet. Missed the first cut of rough where I was aiming and hit the fringe and it didnt die at all. Hit my par put at a perfect speed and looked great going at the hole. It rimmed out and gained speed, catching the downslope and trickling down to five feet. 2 putted (missed the 1st putt by 5 inches) (RIM OUT STROKE COST TOTAL: 3)DOUBLE :('

6th- Hit my 3H to the hybrid, then pulled my SW from 109. It was good because I figured out what I did when I pulled. CHipped to 5 feet. Missed the putt by 6 inches hole high. BOGEY

7th: Hit my 7 iron pin high 6 feet (this is my least favorite hole) to the left. Unfortunately with the pin location, that put me in the rough. I was on a downslope with the ball on a side slope below my feet. It was deep and I had to get it down quick. I pitched it to 6 feet. I could not get it to bite out of the rough, and had to hit it hard to avoid stubbing it. I made another great put with the perfect speed and it rimmed out. This time it only trickled down to 4.5 feet (THE GREENS WERE FAAAAASSSSSTTTTTT Today) missed the put by 4 inches on the high side. DOUBLE (RIM OUT STROKE COST TOTAL: 5)

8th: Hit my driver great into a fairway bunker. Hit a great 7 iron to 150 yards on a side slope. I hit a draw from a fade lie, and when it hit the rough to the right of the flag, it took off and went OB. Pitched on, one putt, for BOGEY.

9th: Driver slipped out of the hands and went OB. Took my 4 wood out and hit it into the fairway, 115 yards out. Hit my SW (predicted the pull perfectly) at a front pin location but went into the rough right in the front. My Chip RIMMED OUT, and tapped in for another Double :(.

Score: 47

RIM OUT PENALTIES: 6

I felt great after Wednesday's disaster. And I know I should not use the rim outs as an excuse but it gave me comfort with the score. If the golf gods were with me today, I could have gotten a 41. It just keeps my mind at ease haha :lol:

I feel your pain RR -

I'm 55 - I can't get out of the car and walk to the first tee cold anymore unless I want to risk missing a month of golf.

Oh well at least we're still playing and at times playing rather well.

I just hope I can still play at 55, I'm only 32 and when I move, my body sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies........snap, crackle, pop.

All I can say is: the ball don't lie!

Great front 9 - two over 38 with some nice up 'n downs - only 12 putts.

Back 9 - A cluster-youknowwhat from the git go. Parred the 2 Par 3's, but 4 DB's and 2 bogeys did us in...back in 46.

When you play to an 11, you play to an 11. No kittens. No rainbows.

The ball don't lie!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I hate playing without warming up. That is all.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip