TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Played good and bad, and I think the 95 degree weather just drained me. 4 pars and 2 birdies (which i get 1 birdie about every 5 rounds) and still shot a 92. Off the tee box, terrible, wedge game and putter, great!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Had an excellent day yesterday until the horn went and everyone had to scurry off the course like mad due to lightning. We rarely, like once every couple of years, see lightning here and it rolled in really, really quickly. I've never seen Marshall's scramble so fast to get out there and let everyone know to get off the course NOW.

And of course it happens while I'm on my way to killing my personal best on that track by a huge amount. Oh fickle mother nature.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

You guys are killing me!

I'd just like to play right now - heck I'd just like to get on a range and hit a few - got rained out last Tuesday and Friday, went to practice yesterday, got my clubs out of the trunk and it started raining. Went to work at 7:30 and have to work until 8:30 tonight so decided I would take a couple of hours off to practice today and it's raining.

I'm supposed to play tomorrow afternoon - guess what the forecast is calling for?

I really feel for the guys who are going to get me as their A player on Saturday - it could easily have been 5 weeks since I played 18 holes by then.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Played 9 in the rain, not really working score, but working on the game itself. Getting reps to work distance and control on the course, taking what I get to work with. Still managed a 42, with some really, really weak putting. Had to take two penalties, lost one to the water trying to play close to the pin and getting hung up in the wind on a watery par 3. Took the second one on a lost ball that disappeared in the fairway. I saw it land, but by the time I walked out there, it was gone. Probably hiding in plain sight, but I couldn't find it. It was all good though, took bogey on the first, and double on the second. penalties are score killers.

Also found that the minor adjustment to my swing and shot setup has really helped with getting out of sand. Had one of those shots that keeps you coming back out of the middle right side bunker on the par 5 #15. Tee shot was a little short in the humid, heavier drizzle, so I rolled back into the right edge bunker, end up sitting flat in the middle of the bunker about 210 from the front edge. The bunker edge I was going out over was just low enough that a good clean swing with the 19* hybrid should get out clear it, and with a tiny little draw I should be able to leave a nice little10-15 yard tapper to get close to the pin.

Some stroke of luck though, not only did I get it clean, it took off like a rocket. I was standing down in the sand and down hill, so I could see that the distance was good, and the angle was right, but that was it. rake out the sand, and hike up to the ball.

There is sits, about 4 feet from the pin, and judging by the ball mark, it hit about 3 feet in front of the green, bounced on and rolled the last 8-10 feet to come to rest. Of course I missed the putt, but who cares, 4 feet from the pin with a second shot on a par 5 from the beach!

Some times, it's not the round, it's just that one shot that keeps you coming back for more.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I am about to depress everyone that is above a 10 handicap, I shot a score yesterday that was horrid for my standards. It was an 83 after handicap reduction (84 in reality). That was a 7.1 differential from the tees that I played, so that is sort of why I say that.

First off I had about 3 or 4 holes where I had iron swings that resembled a 30 handicap I topped them to be exact knee high to a midget or even ankle high on one it was pathetic. My short game didn't do so hot and putting just sucked. Let me just dive into the stats and why I wanted to shoot myself after the round.

Fairways Hit ~ 11 of 14

GIRs ~ 8 of 18

Up/Down Saves ~ 3 of 7

Sand Saves ~ 0 of 2

Putts ~ 36 total, four 3 putts (two lipped out), I played 19 different green speeds yesterday (practice green and 18 holes), each green with the same amount of slope and break with the exact same length of stroke resulted in 19 different distances, impossible to get in a groove.

Penalty Strokes ~ 1 (the only tee shot that really got away from me, big push fade)

In short all my full swing mistakes came from a fast transition / poor tempo. My short game shots that were not converted were mostly putting errors. The Penalty Stroke cost me Double Bogey (3 from the tee lost ball). I made my Triple from the f***ing center of the fairway on 16. Great drive, terrible 2nd into a bunker, left it short in another bunker, left that short of the green, pitched on and two putts later walked of the hole. Sorry just had to vent this one out, it just totally pissed me off to not break 80 when I drove the ball as well as I did there is no excuse for that at all.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I am about to depress everyone that is above a 10 handicap, I shot a score yesterday that was horrid for my standards. It was an 83 after handicap reduction (84 in reality). That was a 7.1 differential from the tees that I played, so that is sort of why I say that.

First off I had about 3 or 4 holes where I had iron swings that resembled a 30 handicap I topped them to be exact knee high to a midget or even ankle high on one it was pathetic. My short game didn't do so hot and putting just sucked. Let me just dive into the stats and why I wanted to shoot myself after the round.

Fairways Hit ~ 11 of 14

GIRs ~ 8 of 18

Up/Down Saves ~ 3 of 7

Sand Saves ~ 0 of 2

Putts ~ 36 total, four 3 putts (two lipped out), I played 19 different green speeds yesterday (practice green and 18 holes), each green with the same amount of slope and break with the exact same length of stroke resulted in 19 different distances, impossible to get in a groove.

Penalty Strokes ~ 1 (the only tee shot that really got away from me, big push fade)

In short all my full swing mistakes came from a fast transition / poor tempo. My short game shots that were not converted were mostly putting errors. The Penalty Stroke cost me Double Bogey (3 from the tee lost ball). I made my Triple from the f***ing center of the fairway on 16. Great drive, terrible 2nd into a bunker, left it short in another bunker, left that short of the green, pitched on and two putts later walked of the hole. Sorry just had to vent this one out, it just totally pissed me off to not break 80 when I drove the ball as well as I did there is no excuse for that at all.

Dude - that reads like one of my rounds!!!!

Well, except for the fairways hit...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Dude - that reads like one of my rounds!!!!

Well, except for the fairways hit...

Well shaving even one stroke playing a tee that has a high course and slope rating translates almost into I handicap point per stroke. At my home course the par is 72 and the course rating is a 73.9 with a slope of 141. I have set some goals for myself this season, and I was just venting at how poorly I played. Remove the Penalty Stroke and 4 three putts, you get my round at a 78 rather then a 84.

I'll be honest with my objective, I want to shoot 20 rounds in a row that break 80. That sounds like a tail order but it's really not that bad. I know with my full swing coming around (evidence of 11 of 14 fairways and on a shitty day 8 GIR), I need to keep working hard on putting and short game. Here is the list of differentials for my course from the tips, when we sit here and talk about lowering a handicap espesually as a single digit it comes down to 1 or 2 strokes off the round on average. I tossed in sub-70 rounds for the heck of it so you can see what a tour pro might shot and the best scores recorded on tour.

79 (4.1), 78 (3.3), 77 (2.5), 76 (1.7), 75 (0.9), 74 (0.1), 73 (-0.7), 72 (-1.5)

71 (-2.3), 70 (-3.1), 69 (-3.9), 68 (-4.7), 67 (-5.5), 66 (-6.3), 65 (-7.1)

64 (-7.9), 63 (-8.7), 62 (-9.5), 61 (-10.3), 60 (-11.1), 59 (-11.9), 58 (-12.7)

You can only imagine that the PGA Tour probably has an average of a 75.0 rating / 145 slope from the tournament tee... I know that the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island, this years host to the PGA Champ Major, has a slope of 77.2 / 144 on a normal day. I'm pretty sure it is a par 72 course, to shoot a par round on the course would be 72 (-4.1).

It would be interesting to see what the handicaps of tour players actually were, I have the guess that most of them are +3 to +5 roughly others have said +2 to +4, others +4 to +6

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Just got back from playing what is probably my worst ball striking round of the year. Or half round I suppose since I walked off after nine. I only hit 1 of 7 fairways, and 3 of 9 greens. I also 3 putted 2 of those holes in which I hit the green. My two saving graces were my short game, and not taking any penalty strokes. I managed to save par on quite a few of those missed greens due to solid pitch shots. I ended with a 4 over 40, which I'm not happy with at all. Hence the walking off the course haha. I guess I'll be hitting the range for a bit tomorrow.

I'm with Tyk, playing without warming up is terrible. Combine that with an insanely slow pace of play and I get driven up the wall. Especially when I'm playing by myself as I was tonight. Next round is on Wednesday, so hopefully I'll be able to work things out before then.

JMiller now I understand why you were disagreeing with us about length of a round - no doubt that when you're playing a course that tough the rounds will take longer.

I don't know that I would enjoy it all the time though - I really don't - my ideal is course rating right around 72 and slope around 130 - Break 75 and it's a nice round. I've certainly played courses with ratings of 75 and slopes over 140 and had some reasonably good scores on them (and some train wrecks). Since it's been in the news lately Blackwolf run comes to mind - the River Course is 76 152 from the tips (and it's not even 7,000 yards long). The first time I played it I shot 83 and it felt like a billion - it wasn't even that bad a round - my low of 73 there would be like shooting a 68 and the course that I'll play tomorrow - hard to imagine.

Speaking of tomorrow I'm really hoping the weather holds - I haven't played 18 in over a month - it's been 7 years since that's happened to me. :( :( :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

JMiller now I understand why you were disagreeing with us about length of a round - no doubt that when you're playing a course that tough the rounds will take longer.

I don't know that I would enjoy it all the time though - I really don't - my ideal is course rating right around 72 and slope around 130 - Break 75 and it's a nice round. I've certainly played courses with ratings of 75 and slopes over 140 and had some reasonably good scores on them (and some train wrecks). Since it's been in the news lately Blackwolf run comes to mind - the River Course is 76 152 from the tips (and it's not even 7,000 yards long). The first time I played it I shot 83 and it felt like a billion - it wasn't even that bad a round - my low of 73 there would be like shooting a 68 and the course that I'll play tomorrow - hard to imagine.

Speaking of tomorrow I'm really hoping the weather holds - I haven't played 18 in over a month - it's been 7 years since that's happened to me. :( :( :(

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well I don't think it is JUST the fact of a harder course, they are the best in the world at the sport after all. I think it has to do mostly with the rules of golf. It is not like in a tour event they can bend the rules a little at all for the reason of peace of play. You can't just proceed under the assumption that you know the rules, if you get them wrong in a situation it could be a penalty of 2 strokes or worse, maybe even a DQ from the tournament in some cases of rules violations. When you have to worry about a single stroke then you are going to a lot more time more often in picking shots and in situations call a rules official over to make a ruling so that you know that you don't get dinged, take Dustin Johnson at the PGA Championship grounding his club in a bunker and 2 strokes cost him a spot in the playoff.

But that is why I don't really agree that peace of play being 5 hours in a tournament of 75+ golfers is really that slow. I would be shocked to see it even get down to 4:30 hours of play it would be great if they could do that but with the way the rules are in golf and with the huge prizes and stuff that can be made on tour it's probably not going to happen.

Sorry for getting OT for a second their back to how'd you play

Alright I managed to play 18 today for the first time in over a month. I was very shaky at first but fought my way through 6 at 3 over and then stuff started to kick in and I was even the rest of the way - shot 75 - not bad at all - hit some good shots, got my golf legs under me but did run out of steam the last few holes.

I did chip and putt pretty well which is not surprising given that I've had time to practice those parts of the game - no 3 putts, really no missed putts inside of my 50/50 point - made a nice birdie putt of about 15 feet on the back and had lots of other good looks for birdie there that burned the edges.

I'm happy, happy to have played golf, happy that I showed signs of playing good golf. Played with three great guys including a guy who's always neck and neck with me for low handicap in the league. He shot 76 so I nipped him. I had to laugh because we don't play a lot and have never really talked about equipment - he works at the course and got a new Rocket blz driver. I asked him if it was the stock shaft and he said, "Are you kidding. Stock shafts are for chumps. This one is an aldila that the pro fit me for and then helped me install. It's 44 and a half inches." I told him about this sight and hopefully he'll join the fun.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Alright I managed to play 18 today for the first time in over a month. I was very shaky at first but fought my way through 6 at 3 over and then stuff started to kick in and I was even the rest of the way - shot 75 - not bad at all - hit some good shots, got my golf legs under me but did run out of steam the last few holes.

I did chip and putt pretty well which is not surprising given that I've had time to practice those parts of the game - no 3 putts, really no missed putts inside of my 50/50 point - made a nice birdie putt of about 15 feet on the back and had lots of other good looks for birdie there that burned the edges.

I'm happy, happy to have played golf, happy that I showed signs of playing good golf. Played with three great guys including a guy who's always neck and neck with me for low handicap in the league. He shot 76 so I nipped him. I had to laugh because we don't play a lot and have never really talked about equipment - he works at the course and got a new Rocket blz driver. I asked him if it was the stock shaft and he said, "Are you kidding. Stock shafts are for chumps. This one is an aldila that the pro fit me for and then helped me install. It's 44 and a half inches." I told him about this sight and hopefully he'll join the fun.

Glad to see you back on the course Rev!

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

I have been playing great this year. This weekend I have qualifying for the Evansville city tournament, so I played a practice round yesterday. My morning started off horrible and I took an extremely crappy attitude to the course and not surprisingly, I played like a complete a$$hole. I was hooking the hell out of my drives; probably averaging about 300 off the tee....200 out, 100 left. I was also hooking the snot out of my irons. At the end of the day, I hit 2/14 fairways, 4/18 greens, and ended up shooting an 80. Moral of the story, don't take a bad attitude to the course, or you'll have bad results.

I have been playing great this year. This weekend I have qualifying for the Evansville city tournament, so I played a practice round yesterday. My morning started off horrible and I took an extremely crappy attitude to the course and not surprisingly, I played like a complete a$$hole. I was hooking the hell out of my drives; probably averaging about 300 off the tee....200 out, 100 left. I was also hooking the snot out of my irons. At the end of the day, I hit 2/14 fairways, 4/18 greens, and ended up shooting an 80. Moral of the story, don't take a bad attitude to the course, or you'll have bad results.

Amen - and by the way I used to have that shot - now it's more like 175 out and 75 left when I get the hooks going - older but wiser I think. B)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have been playing great this year. This weekend I have qualifying for the Evansville city tournament, so I played a practice round yesterday. My morning started off horrible and I took an extremely crappy attitude to the course and not surprisingly, I played like a complete a$hole. I was hooking the hell out of my drives; probably averaging about 300 off the tee....200 out, 100 left. I was also hooking the snot out of my irons. At the end of the day, I hit 2/14 fairways, 4/18 greens, and ended up shooting an 80. Moral of the story, don't take a bad attitude to the course, or you'll have bad results.

I climbed under my Range Rover yesterday probably 20 time changing the stupid starter, two trips to the auto store to buy the right tools, one to get the starter and one to buy a damaged bolt, plus getting the tools, plus four times placing the jack under it because of course it would not start so I had to get it off the ground, etc... The alarm went off this morning and I seriously thought about calling my friends and cancelling. But I got out of bed thinking I would feel better eventually. And I just woke up from my nap and now do feel better,:P

My back was sore, I hit one good drive, I hit three or four other good shots. And overall, I just did not care. I would putt brilliantly followed by putting like I could not even spell green. I hit every club 20 yards less than normal, unless I planned on hitting less than normal in which case I flew the green. But I could have spent the day in an office.:D

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Played a great practice round today and I wasn't even reading my putts. I hit 10/14 fairways, using my new G10, and 14/18 greens. All the greens I missed were long on downwind holes. I wasn't taking time on my putts, because they had the hole locations marked for qualifying tomorrow, so I was taking handfuls of balls with me and putting to those marks. I stinks played my ball down, just rushed everything, so I could get in some important practice. I ended up shooting even par. Now I'm really jacked up for tomorrow. I go off 10, which is the toughest hole (444yds lined with trees and has a small green) at 11:27; I get to play with a guy that I used to play in league with, so that is cool.

Good luck today JBones

I was supposed to be playing in my league's midseason tournament but the guy that I got to fill in for me is in the hospital - this is the 5th time that I've missed this tournament because of some sort of parish event - wedding - funeral - now this - in the past 6 years - I think I'll just give up on entering it.

The good news is that while I'm working to be ready for tonight and tomorrow I'm inside watching the Open rather than outside in what will be a well over 100 degree heat index by noon - I don't really know that I'm ready to be out in that yet so this could be a blessing in disguise.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played bad. Greens treacherously slow. Drank 3 beers and 7 waters and 1.5 hours post round and still haven't gone to restroom. Hot and humid. Went through 4 gloves and 2 towels.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I played really well today, had three bad shots that cost me dearly, but still managed to break 80, however, the story of the day is this. We met this morning around 7 am were trying to get through the turn before a tournament that we were not playing in teed off. So since we were in a hurry, my cart had a wire break on the first hole. I was picked up by one of the high handicappers, this guy has not broken 100 in the last two months. But we were going to ride together to the turn and then I would get another cart. So I ended up coaching him between every shot. We parred the first hole. Then second. etc. On the 5th hole we are both still even par.

I had a horrible lie in the really fluffy grass, well, it was not that horrible it was sitting on top of the really fluffy grass but was concerned that it would be difficult to control. Since we were caddying for each other, and actually partners on that hole, we talked about it, and since it was a par 5 I said I was going to lay up and hit an easy 6 irons. I swung easy and this thing took off like it was shot from a cannon and was a true flyer and sailed OB. I double boggied the easiest hole on the course. The next hole I lost my drive in the middle of the fairway. We all saw it bounce near the 100 marker and could not find it. I a lost ball on the back nine in similar fashion. In the fairway and never find it. But Still managed a 79. My irons were right on the money.

But this guy, would not let me get another cart at the turn, because he shot a 40. And then he shot a 42 on the back 9. He was as happy as anyone could be. Needless to say, his 82 with our handicap system won the day.

I got to take off and play with the Tuesday Men's group at Babe Zahairias this week....actually I played 36 and shot back to back 81's....was striking the ball very well....most everything went straight....Babe is a short course, but you have to manage your shot placement in order to score....They had 27 golfers this week, so my round of 81 was 3rd best gross....lost out to a 69 & 78. They have renovation going on the fairways for #1 & 10 as they install new Champions Bermuda grass, so they turned both into par 3's.....this makes for an interesting arrangement so we just take par 70 & make it par 68. Both modified holes are playing at 162 & 175 yard par threes.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Started today with three birdies, and thought I was king of the world. I ended up shooting even par on the front 9 with no pars. Five birdies and three bogies and a double bogey. Shot 38 on the back, all pars and two bogies. The funny thing about this round was every birdie, I hit a tee shot or a second shot that intentionally left me more than 120 out from the green and hit a gap or a pitching wedge depending on the wind. Most of the bogies were really good par putts that just did not drop. The double was just plain ugly, ugly tee, ugly approach, ugly chip, ugly three putt.

74 on a Sunday playing in a 6 man group with all the distractions, I still feel like the king of the world.

Played 9 more holes afterwards and shot 38 so feel pretty good about that.

We recently got a new "Director of Golf" and things have been different and much nicer. The greens are really smooth and fast. The rough is longer, and overall things are great. Pin placements are much more difficult, and when the pin is on the front, it is almost impossible for me to stop the ball close to the hole unless you land short of the green. However, he keeps the ground in front of the greens soft so if you land short, it will not roll. I am a high spin player and this has never been an issue before. I asked him and he laughed and said that was the way he wanted it.

My solution was to stay back far enough to hit full irons into the green. I teed off with a 4 iron on 8 holes today, and often used a 7 iron as my second shot on the par 5's today. I failed to hit the short irons prefectly a few times, resulting in bogies, but overall, it was a great strategy. I chuckled to myself several times today when I had a short birdie putt and my competitors had hit it close to the green, hit a wedge and then had a 30 foot putt. They all remarked about how well I was hitting the ball and how I could get it to stop by the flag. I was thinking, yeah, you can generate a lot of spin with a gap wedge or 9 iron and a full swing.

My favorite strategy RR - I'm guessing that our grasses are similar to yours and it's just tough to get it close to front pins - of course it's almost always wet here regardless of what the super does so you are rarely able to bounce it on. I very quickly figured out that the best strategy is to leave something full - somewhere between 100 and 120 is ideal to attack front pins - I don't prefer the 70 of my lob wedge because I don't like to hit it full and it also brings in the possibility of hitting it too far and having the part shot to face.

It does often lead to the ridiculous strategy of me hitting 3 hybrid or 3 wood off the tee and a longer opponent hitting driver - 6 years of winning more skins and having a lower handicap index and many of them still haven't figured out that I do this when the pin is up front - I keep very quiet about it. B)

Great job

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well, qualifying was a disaster. I did something I have NEVER done in any round of golf....I walked off the course with 5 holes remaining. I wasn't hitting the ball bad, but my putting was absolutely horrendous. On the first hole I had 1.5' for my par; I never mark these, I just knock them in, but in this case I would have been standing in my competitors line. So, I had time to stand there and think about missing a 1.5' putt and what the hell do I do, just straight pull it while it is breaking left. That just started off a horrible chain reaction, by the time my first 9 was done, I had missed 5 par putts inside of 3'. Ok, I just have to make up a couple shots on the front, no problem, I'm hitting the ball well. Then I proceed to miss 2' par putts on the first 2 holes, followed by a missed birdie putt from 2.5'. I missed the next green and chipped to 4'; I told my caddy that if I didn't make the par putt that I was going to pack it in. I hit my chip past the hole and watched it break 6" right, from the hole to where it finished, so I played it 4" outside the right edge and hit it firm.....it didn't break 1". I didn't storm off like a little punk, like the people that have bailed on me in tournaments, I respectfully removed my hat, shook my competitors hands, and wished them well. There were quite a few things that lead to this decision (a perfect storm like situation). My girls had been with my wifes sister for a few days and we were going to meet them at a Louisville Bats game; I had hoped for an early tee time, so we could go together and of course I got a late tee time (only 3 groups behind me).....I missed them terribly. After missing that putt, I was 10 over and the number in my mind to qualify was 75, so I would have had to birdie the 5 remaining holes. I had looked at my watch and knew that if I left then, I would be able to make it to the game on time. So, due to all those factors, I made the choice. From the time I left, to this point now, I've been disappointed in myself, because I just don't do that, I have never quit on anything in my life. Anyway, there was a major factor that lead to my horrible putting stroke. I woke up Saturday morning feeling very anxious, so I took a Xanax. It had me relaxed to the point that my putting stroke was just a limp wristed flail at the ball. Mentally, I was baked; it was about the equivalent of playing drunk. I have played on Xanax before, but I hadn't had the same emotions, so I'm guessing that the chemicals my body was releasing just had a bad reaction....I was a zombie.

Here's the biggest kick in the nuts. I woke up Sunday morning, already feeling crappy about the whole situation, and see in the paper that a 79 got into a playoff. There was only one person that broke par and only two more that shot even. The conditions weren't that bad, it was extremely hot (102) and breezy (maybe 15-17mph); I guess you pair that with extremely tough pin positions and you get a lot of high scores. So, I would have only had to make one birdie coming in and one of those holes was a reachable par 5. Oh well, I got to see my beautiful babies Saturday evening, instead of Sunday morning. Life is just a bunch of lessons, I just hate learning them the hard way.

On a positive note, this G10 is the straightest driver I have ever had in my bag. I once said that if I could have 275 in the fairway, I would accept never hitting another 300yd drive in my life.......thats what this driver gives me. On the first hole, I hit it so straight, that I was in the paint around the 150 marker. I only missed two fairways and they were both slight pushes with the wind blowing right and both were on holes that right wouldn't hurt me.

Chalk it up to experience JBones - I had caught that you were in a qualifier but not what the qualifier was for. I'm going to assume the state amateur. My experience has been that breaking 80 gives you a shot at qualifying in these things. The qualifying course always plays tougher than the field expects, there are always lots of players that don't belong that slow play down and they make it tough on everyone.

I shot 77 today but again felt better - stronger than I have since I before I got sick. It's wierd because I shot 76 last week but didn't feel nearly as strong - of course I holed more putts last week and that was the difference - I hit it better today. Didn't putt poorly but just didn't make a single putt outside of 6 feet.

10 fairways (11 is my normal)

9 greens (spot on)

32 putts (2 over my normal which was why I was 2 over my par of 75)

4/8 up and downs -

1 hole I drove it in a mess and had an approach of 125 for my 3rd shot - hit a nice 9 iron to 15 feet and burned the edge for par.

I hit 4 drives on the back side and 3 of them looked like I was the one hitting them!!!!! Nice medium high baby draws right where I wanted them.

Can't wait for worldwoods on friday.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Played Worldwoods today with fellow Golf Spy DogPro - shot 37-34 71 - I'm still weak from the pneumonia - hit a couple of really curious shots that lead to a couple of bogeys but obviously I hit some really good approach shots and had a nice chip in to be one under. I made 5 birdies, hit 13 greens in regulation - it's not an easy course by any stretch but I made it seemt hat way so I'm very happy.

One of the guys that we were paired with was a bomber - he had an eagle and just missed a second one - He shot 73. His partner told us he hits it 300 but everyone we measured was 285 - of course that same partner thought I was hitting it 250 and everyone we measured was 235 (exactly how far I thought they were.) It's so wet here that this is basically carry with 10 yards of roll. It's brutal on the ego but that self same eagle feels pretty good because of the score and the fact that I still beat a guy who was hitting it 40 and 50 yards past me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Finally had a huge break through in my 9 hole round today... I came out after work like any other day and knew going in "well not sure how this will turn out but I'm gonna try something"... The thing that I wanted to try was keep the shorter backswing rotation I had and just get a touch extra lift with the arms... WOW it paid off big time, tempo was perfect, shots were in control and the shots i missed turned out very well. Not to mention I got it done a lot with the flat stick... So here it is ladies and gentlemen my low nine hole of my career thus far.

A bogey free 9 hole round of 3 under par 33!!! I hit 8 of 9 GIR, 6 of 7 FIR, 14 total putts. The sick part is my 3 birdies were 2 par 4s and a par 3 I made par on both par 5s. The one hole where I missed the fairway and green was the first hole i played, missed the fairway by 3 yards bad lie, left it short on purpose, only real good bail out spot.

Not too shabby for coming out cold and experimenting with something, I think my experiment panned out pretty dang well.

I played 27 holes at my home course. Shot 36-42-34. Struck the ball wonderfully all day but if there was a bad bounce or bad break to be had, I caught it on the middle 9 holes. I had one putt that I read to break right, and missed so obviously it will break left coming back. So I putted it and it broke right. And missed, so since I now basically have the same putt that I already did, and it broke left it must break left again, no it broke right. It was a par 3 175 that I hit it 10 feet from the hole and make double bogey. Lots of bad bounces also; Also, I gave a guy 6 strokes and won by 5 which means I lost. He played great for him and I did not on the middle 9.

Sounds like a great day on the course today!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches