TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Shot 86 (par 71) with [mention=12972]MattF[/mention] today. There was some good (2 birdies, 5 pars), some bad (5 bogies), and some ugly (6 doubles with a stretch of 4 in a row, all 4 involving penalties).
It was a great time, though, and I was generally hitting irons better than I have since starting SuperSpeed. Still some ugly shots, but it seems progress is being made.
Sorry I missed you and@MattF, still got plenty of time for more rounds.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Played an easier course today, but one I visit fairly often as it's a great price, low key, and has fantastic greens (otherwise 6150 yards, slope 116). Shot 37-37, with 3 birds, and 1 double.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Third round this week after a six week layoff, and they've all been solid.

Took 2nd low net on Monday, was the only guy to break par on Tuesday. Today I won low net in the A flight, even with an ice cold putter. My handicap is my best friend right now, as I went up over 4 strokes trying to play through an elbow injury before the layoff. I almost feel bad getting as many strokes as I am right now. (Key word... ALMOST)

It's nice to hear the "sandbagger" jokes now, and hopefully I can continue taking advantage of the extra strokes while they last, because I did enough contributing when I was hurting, LOL

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

6 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Shot a 103 again yesterday. Its been feeling like I'm hitting the ball better than 103, but blow a few blow up holes and penalties really hurt. Also, my putting wasn't so great. I played by myself and i find that I rush my putts when I play by myself. I need to slow down a bit a make sure my putt is lined up correctly. When I play with others, I take more time while they are putting.

I know the feeling, I usually get myself in a rush too. You need to have a routine and stick to it on every shot for consistency. Playing with others allows you to relax and take your time going through your routine while they are doing their thing. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

On 7/17/2020 at 6:12 PM, MattF said:

As @MaxEntropy said above, we played this afternoon at Brookledge in Cuyahoga Falls. I started out HOT, pared the first 3 holes, ended up 43 on the front. Then the round turned into HOT GARBAGE. I have no idea what was going on but all of a sudden I was hitting my irons dead right. It was the opposite of a duck hook, they'd start straight then do a 90° dive to the right. Meeked out a 49 for a 92. I'm hoping this rubbish doesn't show up on Sunday.

I forgot to post this picture of @MattF attempting to get out of this greenside bunker on #9. I'll let him tell everyone what happened. For reference, the green surface is above his head, so it's a pretty deep bunker.

20200717_143108.jpg.2ec4d6166d06c519961b255fb18e72ca.jpg

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Shot the best front 9 I have shot since I started playing again a few months ago. +1 37 with 2 birdies. Then screwed the pooch on the back 9 with a 50. Then realized if I am really pissed off about an 87 - I am getting better. That 87 included 3 shots that went OB on three different holes. One an errant driver, one a 6 iron that I absolutely smoked. Flag was 160ish I hit that 6 185 yards, the third a second shot into a par 5. 220 to the center of the green. I hit a “smooth” 3wood 20 yards deep. 

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

It was a nice day the wind was not as strong as it's been recently. Struggled with the putter a bit on the front, but got it working on the beck. So it was bogey golf for the first 12 and then even par after that. A good relatively constant day. No penalty strokes and most importantly had fun.

13 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I forgot to post this picture of @MattF attempting to get out of this greenside bunker on #9. I'll let him tell everyone what happened. For reference, the green surface is above his head, so it's a pretty deep bunker.

20200717_143108.jpg.2ec4d6166d06c519961b255fb18e72ca.jpg

Bastard! For the record, that was the first attempt, just didn't get enough speed behind it, hit just below the lip and came back down. Second one got onto the green nicely and rolled out.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Round one of couples chapman tournament :   Other than a double and a +5-9, we played decent.  7 over on 2 holes and limped in with an 86 gross.  Round two begins in a couple of hours.  Here's to no bad holes today!  :D 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Second day in a row breaking 80 with the single length irons. I’m getting a lot more looks at birdies with these clubs. Both rounds in the 70s have been with Top Flite Gamer balls.

IMG_1193.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Shot a good game the other day, it the real story of the day was getting paired up with a lanky youngster who pursued the “long drive” circuit for a while. IVE never been to a real pro event and always wondered why people would tell me it’s something you need to see live, as it’s just “different” from us normal hacks.

now I get it. This guy would hit from that tips, With a 3-wood, sometimes with an iron, and I could hit a good drive from the blues, (50 yards closer) and we’d be close. Then I’d hit a 6 or 7, and he would hit a pw. He shot pretty well, but wasn’t always in control, but OMG, I had no idea a golf ball could go like that. The sound, the height, the distance, the spin, all of it. Absurd really. I went home and quietly wept to myself...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I posted this before but I was paired up with a kid from Canada in Orlando that had won twice on the Mini Tour down there. Joined him on the 2nd hole after he had already hit his drive from the tips and my tee was quite a bit in front of his. Our balls were very close in the fairway approximately 240 out and the green was straight ahead until the last 10 yards and then 90* right and completely protected by some short trees. A slight breeze at our backs so I hit a nice hybrid even with the opening leaving me a straight 20 yd pitch shot. This 26 yr old hits a 4 iron over the trees and the ball mark was about 6 feet past the hole and sitting 12 feet away. So he hit this towering 4 iron at least 230 with a slight breeze but still stopped it on the green. It was a real treat to play the entire day with him. 

What's the well used saying, "He plays a game of which I'm not familar"  Seems like there are more and more of these young guys coming up now.  it's fun to see!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Scored a 43/43:86 with one birdie yesterday at Pebble Creek.

Today, I shot a 40/41:81 with no birdies and 2 doubles.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I posted this before but I was paired up with a kid from Canada in Orlando that had won twice on the Mini Tour down there. Joined him on the 2nd hole after he had already hit his drive from the tips and my tee was quite a bit in front of his. Our balls were very close in the fairway approximately 240 out and the green was straight ahead until the last 10 yards and then 90* right and completely protected by some short trees. A slight breeze at our backs so I hit a nice hybrid even with the opening leaving me a straight 20 yd pitch shot. This 26 yr old hits a 4 iron over the trees and the ball mark was about 6 feet past the hole and sitting 12 feet away. So he hit this towering 4 iron at least 230 with a slight breeze but still stopped it on the green. It was a real treat to play the entire day with him. 

Hope he made the putt! Some shots some people make are pretty incredible.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

What's the well used saying, "He plays a game of which I'm not familar"  Seems like there are more and more of these young guys coming up now.  it's fun to see!

... Interesting how the game has changed. Learning to play with balata balls, small head MB irons and persimmon woods we learned to hit the ball as straight as possible or with a consistent draw or fade and then learn to hit it farther. Swinging aggressively when learning meant crazy wild shots because the ball spun so much and without any perimeter weighting any mishit was magnified. Younger players today that grew up with 360 cc drivers, perimeter weighted irons and a low spin ball learned to hit it far and then straighten out their ball flight. So yes, they play a game of which I am not familiar. The only downside is some are more concerned with distance and do not master the short game. That can mean the difference between competing on any tour, including Mini and Satellite or actually winning. I played both a kid on the Lewis College team that was just over the green on a 573 yd par 5 uphill after the drive. He took 3 shots to get up and down with a suspect chipping stroke and a ham fisted putter. Just a beautiful whip like swing at 6'3" and maybe 170lbs but you could tell he just didn't devote enough time to his short game. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

43 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Hope he made the putt! Some shots some people make are pretty incredible.

... He did not, but he was playing a practice round and hitting several shots and putts. For such an amazing ball striker, putting was the weakest part of his game. Not a bad putter at all, but just not equal to the way he struck the ball. Same guy that played 2 drivers, a Callaway SZ the he just killed but hit a little erratic compared to his Titleist that spun more and was 10-15yds shorter but always in the fairway. "A little erratic" because he hit it over 300 yds consistently and a lot of his lines would be in the fairway at 240-270 but continuing on that same line to 320 he would be in the rough or behind a tree, etc. He only hit drive one way right and OB then turned to me and said "this is exactly why I play my Titleist in competition".

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... He did not, but he was playing a practice round and hitting several shots and putts. For such an amazing balance striker, putting was the weakest part of his game. Not a bad putter at all, but just not equal to the way he struck the ball. Same guy that played 2 drivers, a Callaway SZ the he just killed but hit a little erratic compared to his Titleist that spun more and was 10-15yds shorter but always in the fairway. "A little erratic" because he hit it over 300 yds consistently and a lot of his lines would be in the fairway at 240-270 but continuing on that same line to 320 he would be in the rough or behind a tree, etc. He only hit drive one way right and OB then turned to me and said "this is exactly why I play my Titleist in competition".

Amazing. Awesome that he knows he’s better off shorter, some just want the long ball

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Started out doing 18, but the thunder and lightning hit just as we were on the 9th green.

I was golfing out of my @ss today. Par 36 ended up with a 32. 6 one putts 3 two putts. 4 birds. 5 GIR.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Was visiting a friend out on the East end of Long Island; played a funky 9-hole course that's on State Park land and literally cut out of the trees. Fairways and tee boxes were a mix of burnt out sorta grass and where it was green a lotta clover. But it's one of those laid-back atmosphere "local" spots, and a few of the holes present definite challenges.

Started out really well .. solid ball striking tho the first two holes saw the second shots go left of the green (and under a tree) and then right of the green (and behind a tree); but .. somehow .. managed an up & down both times. #3 Par 3 solid tee shot if a bit short then made a mess of the chip on and ended with a Double (ouch) after missing an easy 4 foot putt. #4 good tee shot, good second (GIR!) and good first putt for a par. #5 pulled the tee shot left and ended up blocked by a tree again so another punch-out, followed by a very solid approach onto the green followed by another missed straight 4 foot putt. So we have a new "problem" 😆 distance to work on with the ExPutt!!

Oh - tee shots on both #4 and #5 cross the access road going in and out of the course .. there are Stop and Warning signs to the drivers in both directions.

#6 tee shot was the Official Shot Of The Day. From the tee there are trees running down the right all the way to the inside of the dogleg right; right in the middle of the fairway looking off the tee and just short of the dogleg is a lone scrub pine - which looks shorter from the tee than it is as the fairway slopes downhill into the dogleg. Hit to the left of it and you're farther away from the green; hit to the right and you risk getting hung up on the branches of the trees down the right or going OB.

I line up my ball looking down the narrow gap between the right side of the scrub pine and the trees on the right, and .. wow I sent that one! Dead straight on my line and high and looong (for me, that is) .. ended up through the dogleg sitting on the left side of the fairway with a good look at the green. Yea!

But .. unfortunately .. from there the swing mojo slipped away and I finished with a disappointing bogey..... Boo. Next hole was a complete and total disaster blow-up like I haven't had for a long time. Yuck. #8 put myself into a fairway bunker and while I got out ok, couldn't put the ball away after that and wasted a few strokes.

#9 finishing hole is the longest Par 4 and I did get back on track with a solid tee shot down the middle, a solid layup to a good position and a solidly struck wedge but pulled it a bit left from my intended spot and left myself a tricky putt across- and down-slope vs where I was trying to go short and below the hole. 2-putted for a "good" bogey.

Overall hit 5/7 fairways, but then missed both Par 3 greens, missed several chances (after the first two holes) to chip it close and missed three or four chances at all fairly straight 4 - 6 ft putts. So more work - especially short game - to do!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

One over 72 today. Nothing to great and nothing too poor except my beloved Rogue Sub Zero five wood met its end today. Hit it off the tee on one and it didn’t sound right. Hit it again off of number 2 and finished it off. Now to go find a replacement for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

On 7/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, chisag said:

... For those higher index players that struggle with blow up holes or wonder how a low index player handles a bad ball striking round, here is what it looks like. Long post coming but hopefully informative on how to play when not at your best.

#1 I got stuck at the DMV and had to join my group on the 2nd tee. No warm up, no stretching just walk to the 2nd tee and start playing. 15-20 mph wind that swirled and even died a few times but always changing. 

#2 340 Par 4 ... Mishit a 4 iron to the middle of the fairway but left a 150 yd approach instead of 125. Did not feel the strength of the wind and left my approach shot in the front bunker. Sand shot to 6 feet. Make putt for par.

#3 173 Par 3 ... Mishit a 6 iron into wind but lower trajectory landed short but made it to the middle of the green leaving a 25 foot putt. Lagged to a few inches for a tap in par.

#4 525 Par 5 ... Finally hit a nice drive and followed with a nice 3 wood to front right about 10 yds short of green. Tricky chip that had to clear a hump with the pin just on the other side.  Rolled 8 feet past and just missed the birdie putt for a tap in par.

#5 377 Par 4 ... Pulled tee shot into rough. Just missed the green to the left with the ball bouncing into rough and short sided. Lob shot to 2 feet and made put for par.

#6 147 Par 3 ... Pulled my 8 iron into the wind leaving a 30 foot birdie putt. Lagged to a foot for par.

#7 440 Par 4 ... Hit a nice drive into the wind leaving an uphill into the wind 185 iron shot. Best shot I hit all day traveling just off back of the fringe as the wind must have died down with the ball in the air. Chipped to 2 feet and made the putt for par.

#8 488 Par 5 ...  90* dogleg right with wind right to left off the tee. Hit a nice tee shot leaving me 225 and followed that with a good 3 wood to the middle of the fairway about 5 yds short of green. But pin tucked right over bunker and slopes off the green after the pin. Had to pitch to the center leaving a 6 foot putt I made for birdie.  

#9 380 Par 4 ... Wind really howling left to right and hit a decent tee shot that drifted to the far right side leaving 145 to a back left pin. With a roll off into water on the left side the wind pushed my approach into the right right by 1" but could not see the ball unless  standing right on top of it. Played like a bunker shot but careful not to carry the ball past the pin and maybe in the water, I left it 12 feet short and missed the putt for a Bogie. 

#10 375 Par 4 ... Pulled it just a little and wind carried it into the rough. Hit an 8 iron just short and left. Chip almost went in for a tap in par.

#11 415 Par 4 ... 90* dogleg left with water on the left side and fairway slopes to the water. Hit a bad too shot holding off the release subconsciously not wanting to be near the water. 185 and misjudged the wind right at my back and hit a beautiful 5 iron that hit the green and rolled into back rough. Almost chipped in for tap in par. 

#12 500 Par 5 ... Trees left and OB right with a strong wind so I hit a hybrid to the right side. Hit hybrid again leaving 95yds and hit my 48* 10 feet right of the pin. Putt didn't break and tapped in for par.

#13 129 Par 3 ... Wind pushed tee shot left in rough. Chipped 3 feet past the hole and made the putt for par. 

#14 380 Par 4 ... Toughest hole on the course. An over grown tree blocks the left side and center leaving about 30% of the fairway accessible. Wind blowing left to right. Hit a 3 wood draw that held its line leaving me 155 to a front hole location. Slightly downhill lie and I outsmarted myself leaning with the slope for solid contact and was so worried about the lie and cary distance, I hit it fat only going about 100 yds. Wind left to right and hit my knockdown left but boring through the wind and it never moved right and bounced down into a grass bunker. Played like a sand shot 7 feet past the hole. Made the putt for a bogie. 

#15 555 Par 5 uphill and into the wind. Excellent tee shot followed by a solid hybrid left me 130 and my 8 iron hit the top of the bunker and rolled back in. Bunker shot to 4 feet and made putt for par.

#16 420 Par 4 ... Another difficult slight dogleg right hole into the wind and uphill that I hit well. Next shot was 180 with deep bunker guarding the front and wind really howling left to right. Decided to take the bunker out of play and aimed right at it. The wind pushed it right of the green and chipped 1" short for a tap in par.

#17 155 Par 3 ... Hit a solid 9 iron leaving a breaking 8 footer I missed on the low side (hate that) for a tap in par.

#18 395 Par 4 ... Hit my best drive of the day followed by a 9 iron to 6 feet leaving an uphill putt I made for birdie. 

#1 371 Par 4 ... Pulled my drive just left of fairway leaving a downhill 8 iron from 160 I knew would come in low and hopefully run on. It did, leading me a 7 footer to go 1 under for my round. Again, the putt just didn't break and stayed on the top lip so tapped in for par.

... So there is is, a bad ball striking round and I struggled with pulled tee shots, and missed greens. Here is where a scratch player saves strokes. In the sand twice and got up and down both times. Got up and down from off the green 8 out of 10 times. Quite a few "made the putt ..." which can be huge for your/my mental attitude. Lots of marginal shots so concentrating on the short game can really save a bad round and can also help you go low during your good rounds. Similar to real estate sales the key to saving your a$$ on off days is short game, short game, short game. 

Wish I could recover like this. I once in a while will have a really bad hole that takes 3 shots to get out of the bunker. The first two are WTF shots out of the bunker. And then all of a sudden i become competent and the third one comes out beautifully (high soft spinning shot) and rolls within a few feet.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

It finally happened! I feel like the last month I've been posting saying I'm leaving a lot of strokes out there, and yesterday I finally put it all together. I shot a personal best by 5 strokes, 79 (and first time breaking 80)! The front was also my best 9, at 38. I apologize in advance for the long post, but I can't help it, I'm absolutely pumped! Here's the breakdown:
79 (+9, Net -6), 38-41; 3/13 FIR (2 more were a yard into the first cut), 6/18 GIR, 30 putts.
Best 18 hole score, best 9 hole score, least putts for 18, most pars (11), most par saves (5). Played the round with 3 other buddies of mine, none of whom play much at all. We ended up doing a 3v1 their best ball scramble against me, for match and stroke play. I think it was a pretty even match, I'd say probably 6/10 times I'd win. I actually rattled of 6 pars to start the round, which was surreal to say the least!
My short game was absolutely killer. I was up and down all over the place, and had a few cheeky little chips and punch shots that I was super proud of. Putting-wise, I think I was only outside 5 feet for my second putt once all round, and was really giving the hole a run almost every putt. Approach game was extremely consistent as well, I struck the ball really well and did a really good job of managing my misses. Might have only been short-sided once or twice all day.
Off the tee, again, was my most consistent round. I was much more disciplined about pulling out my hybrid (EXS Pro is still absolutely killing it; go check the review thread and I'll update more specifics there!) instead of driver and it made all the difference in the world. I really only had 1 bad drive all day on the par 5 9th, a dogleg left I can cut the corner off on a good swing. I pull-hooked the shot, which landed about 5 feet from carrying a pond. It was coming in low and spinny, and I'm still pretty surprised it didn't skip over. Took my drop and got in with a bogey, which basically felt like a birdie haha.
On the back I started strong again, and by the time we finished 15 I was sitting just +5 with 3 holes left. Keep in mind, my top three previous scores for 18 was an 84 I shot a few weeks ago, and a few 88s I've carded before that. I was doing a good job not getting ahead of myself and just playing the shot in front of me. Then I started the par 5 16th hole.
It's a 504 yard dogleg left then right, with a pond on the right side that starts just at the first dogleg and runs up along the side of the fairway. I hit my hybrid off the tee, about 230 barely into the right rough. It was exactly where I wanted to be for an 8i layup before the green, then a 9i into the green. I pushed my 8i about 20 yards right, with a tree obstructing my view to the green. And here's where I just had a mental lapse. I took my 52° thinking I'd just pitch it over into the fairway. I didn't double check the distance, and way over-swung, with the ball stopping well past the fairway in a clump of trees with no clear sight into the green. I needed to carry over a bunker but stay under some limbs, and ended up hitting the limb. From there I had no choice but to punch out to the fringe in front of the green, with the pin way in the back. From the fringe about 60 feet away from the pin, I put too much pace on the first shot and ended up 3 putting for a 9 on the hole. I was frustrated with myself because I had planned the hole perfectly and felt like one mental slip ended up costing 2-3 strokes on a round that was shaping up to be my best by a long shot.
Tried not to dwell on it too long, and stepped up to the par 3 17th trying to right the ship. Threw a 9i dart 7 feet past the hole, and sunk the putt for my first birdie of the day. Especially coming off the previous hole quad, I think that may have been my proudest hole I've ever played. 18 was playing into a head wind that was picking up, and the wind pushed my draw a little left. Got up by the green, chipped to about 6 feet when my buddy says "Boy, and that's what you've got to break 80!" I didn't know where I was sitting at that point, and he immediately realized what he'd done. But I stepped up and canned it anyway! What a day!! It took everything in me not to take my shirt off and swing it around my head and take a few laps around the green. Gotta love a personal best!!

Only thing I can add to this is play your miss and know your miss. Other part in mentality, I don’t think I am ever out of a hole. Yesterday I hit a tee ball left off the tee on the 12th hole in jail. Had to punch out and still left with 180 into the hole of a par 4 out of a thick lie in the rough. Knocked it just in front of the green and chipped in for par. The mentality that one can make par from anywhere goes a long long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond