TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

21 hours ago, MattF said:

Had a fun day yesterday with the Ohio boys at @tony@CIC 's club.

Got hot out of the gate paring the first 3 hole, then got a bit shaky but shot a 42 on the front. Hit my best drive of the day on the par 5 10th, slightly pulled my hybrid to pin high right of the green, pitched on and the ball tracked all the way to the hole where it hit the pin leaving an easy 3-4 footer for birdie...then the wheels fell off and I ended up with a 47 on the back. Considering the the rating was 70.7 and 131 slope from the white tee's, I was happy but at the same time a little disappointed.

It was a lot of fun. I was just happy to not be in traction after playing lol. But now the bag gets a a serious look over. Changes will be made

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I've never played on bermuda where the ball sits up; it always sinks to the bottom, and lucky to find it.  

It either drops to the bottom or sits on top here. So easy to go under the ball and have it go nowhere. I had played the ball back but didn’t swing hard enough so the ball only went about 15 feet when I needed it to go 40+.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Well, it's official.... I have the chipping yips. I played 45 holes this weekend. Short game is normally a relative strength for me and bails me out of many a high(er) score. Not this weekend. I've also been in about a funk where I can't hit an iron. Normally I can hit them solid, just don't have too much control over where they go. Chipping yips combined with bad irons is a recipe for high scores.

Friday afternoon: Walked 9. Nothing particularly sharp. Ended up shooting a 48. Wouldn't have been so bad if not for an 8 on the 9th. Ugh. It didn't help that the course was set up for a tournament so pins were tucked in all sorts of awkward positions.

Saturday: Ohio get-together at Catawba Island Club with @tony@CIC and the gang. A ton of fun and Tony called in some perfect weather. The course is beautiful and pretty tough, especially when you can't hit the ball well. 48/50 with 6(!) penalty strokes.

Sunday: We had our league outing at a different course than we normally play. The course was in very good shape, with the exception that they punched the greens early last week. No big deal, we all dealt with the same thing, except the chipping yips ate me alive. With the punched greens, everything landed softly and didn't roll. I could not get myself to hit the ball farther. Having the yips, that meant it was a lot of second chips that I was leaving myself with way too long of putts (fortunately only 2 3-putts, 31 total putts which I was happy about given the green conditions). I didn't feel like I was trying to do anything fancy with my chips, but it was awful, "highlighted" by a 5-chip fiasco on the 17th. You read that correct.... 5 chips. I am confident it is all mental at this stage. The only good news was I started hitting my irons a bit better, so even with the abysmal chipping I shot a 44/48.

I had been playing pretty well until 3 weeks ago, which is about when I stopped hitting solid irons. This is a terrible time to start sucking more than usual as my partner and I play for the league championship tomorrow on the harder of the two nines. For our league, the back nine plays 6 strokes harder on average, so this could be interesting if I can't get my crap together. I'm half-tempted to take a couple hours of vacation tomorrow and get back to the basics on chipping technique and see if I can get past this.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Well, it's official.... I have the chipping yips. I played 45 holes this weekend. Short game is normally a relative strength for me and bails me out of many a high(er) score. Not this weekend. I've also been in about a funk where I can't hit an iron. Normally I can hit them solid, just don't have too much control over where they go. Chipping yips combined with bad irons is a recipe for high scores.
Friday afternoon: Walked 9. Nothing particularly sharp. Ended up shooting a 48. Wouldn't have been so bad if not for an 8 on the 9th. Ugh. It didn't help that the course was set up for a tournament so pins were tucked in all sorts of awkward positions.
Saturday: Ohio get-together at Catawba Island Club with [mention=68414]tony@CIC[/mention] and the gang. A ton of fun and Tony called in some perfect weather. The course is beautiful and pretty tough, especially when you can't hit the ball well. 48/50 with 6(!) penalty strokes.
Sunday: We had our league outing at a different course than we normally play. The course was in very good shape, with the exception that they punched the greens early last week. No big deal, we all dealt with the same thing, except the chipping yips ate me alive. With the punched greens, everything landed softly and didn't roll. I could not get myself to hit the ball farther. Having the yips, that meant it was a lot of second chips that I was leaving myself with way too long of putts (fortunately only 2 3-putts, 31 total putts which I was happy about given the green conditions). I didn't feel like I was trying to do anything fancy with my chips, but it was awful, "highlighted" by a 5-chip fiasco on the 17th. You read that correct.... 5 chips. I am confident it is all mental at this stage. The only good news was I started hitting my irons a bit better, so even with the abysmal chipping I shot a 44/48.
I had been playing pretty well until 3 weeks ago, which is about when I stopped hitting solid irons. This is a terrible time to start sucking more than usual as my partner and I play for the league championship tomorrow on the harder of the two nines. For our league, the back nine plays 6 strokes harder on average, so this could be interesting if I can't get my crap together. I'm half-tempted to take a couple hours of vacation tomorrow and get back to the basics on chipping technique and see if I can get past this.

Your local pro here

I agree that something with the yips is mental. Part of it could be that your mind has wandered off and you just are not focused. Do you usually chip with a 54, 56, or 60? I didn't see anything on Saturday.

Try this- use a lower lofted club to get the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible. I like a 7 iron, maybe for you it's a 9, maybe you'll feel the most comfortable over a 4 or 5 iron. It's what feels good for you.

Grip the club down by the steel (don't choke down, choke is a negative word and there's already too much negative in the world, we don't need it in our golf games) So grip low by the steel and square the club face to your line. Take a stace with your feet closer together and make almost a putting stroke. I mean you'll use your shoulders more than your wrists. The ball should just carry a couple feet then roll out the rest.

You can do this, just need your mind focused back on the task at hand, getting the ball in the cup.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

17 minutes ago, Tsmithjr9 said:

Your local pro here emoji1787.png

I agree that something with the yips is mental. Part of it could be that your mind has wandered off and you just are not focused. Do you usually chip with a 54, 56, or 60? I didn't see anything on Saturday.

Try this- use a lower lofted club to get the ball rolling on the green as soon as possible. I like a 7 iron, maybe for you it's a 9, maybe you'll feel the most comfortable over a 4 or 5 iron. It's what feels good for you.

Grip the club down by the steel (don't choke down, choke is a negative word and there's already too much negative in the world, we don't need it in our golf games) So grip low by the steel and square the club face to your line. Take a stace with your feet closer together and make almost a putting stroke. I mean you'll use your shoulders more than your wrists. The ball should just carry a couple feet then roll out the rest.

You can do this, just need your mind focused back on the task at hand, getting the ball in the cup.

Take Dead Aim

Thanks! Normally, most of my chipping is done with a 56. When things sucked yesterday, I switched back and forth a couple times between AW and PW to mix things up, but by then, the mental damage had been done, my confidence was completely gone, and distance control wasn't good since I rarely practice chipping with those clubs.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

15 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

the mental damage had been done

Always knew you were mental! 😜

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

shot well. everything is clicking. Hogans rock, MavriK rocks, Evnroll rocks, swing is grooving. too bad Im old before this all came about...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

55 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

shot well. everything is clicking. Hogans rock, MavriK rocks, Evnroll rocks, swing is grooving. too bad Im old before this all came about...

I was old before the SLDR-C came out!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 9/13/2020 at 12:22 PM, Shankster said:

Played so bad that I should just give golf up.  Wipey 230 yard drives...  frustrating dang game this is.  Couldn’t keep driver or 3 wood on the planet.  Just terrible.  Heeling every shot, even shanked a go zone 58° wedge.  I think I’m going to take up basket weaving.

ok. Better now.  

Playing the Blueprints?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Played an Exec 9 hole over the weekend. It's a short, and mostly pretty tight, course and the very contoured greens more than make up for the lack of length. It's great iron practice with 5 Par 3s from 100 to about 160, and then 4 short Par 4s where I tee'ed off with a hybrid.

Was hitting the ball mostly ok .. starting to hit it more solidly more often .. but now am starting to miss some to the left..? And, yes, still had a few of my more typical miss of a push/push-fade. Have another lesson coming up so have to ask about that!

Putting was way waaaay off, though - these greens were faster than what I've been playing on recently and my speed / distance control was way off ... ergo lots of 3 putts... 😢

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Didn't got smoked out. How is the weather in your neck of the woods if you live on the west coast?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue Sub Zero 9* stiff

Wood: :adams-small: Tight Lies TI 3 wood stiff

Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR 3 19 deg stiff

Irons: :mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour std loft/lie

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 52,56,60

Putter: :odyssey-small: #7 Red

Ball: :srixon-small: Q-Star

12.9 Handicap

Comox Valley, B.C. 🇨🇦

32 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Didn't got smoked out. How is the weather in your neck of the woods if you live on the west coast?

Air quality is terrible over here

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

32 minutes ago, StrawberryShortCake said:

Well, I can't see Canada... I can barely see across the street.  Air Quality Alert for Dangerous conditions was supposed to end today at noon, now extended until Friday.  Courses closed, which is OK because they were suppose to punch the fairways and greens today if they let staff work.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played okay it's a short course which allowed me to try my driving iron out a lot. I started off hitting it off the toe then it went to hitting everything fat. I finally pulled my ball striking from the gutter and kept things together missing a few par putts. Gamed my old putter and had more 3 putts than I have all year which is why I put the thing up but wanted to see how I could do with it. Made some nice shots and finally got the driving iron figured out along with my ball striking on the last 3 holes.

15 hours ago, Kenny B said:

"I just want to say... Good luck.  We're all counting on you."

And don't eat the fish! ☺️🙂😜🤪

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Got out for a pre-work round this morning. Was tight on the front nine and not a lot of good shots. Mood was really killed by one of the players I got paired with, poor shots followed by streams of curses and club tosses. By the back 9 though, I loosened up physically and he loosened up mentally, playing the entire back side with his 5 iron and performing a lot better for it! I went 42-37 for a respectable 79 total.

2024 is the year of the short set!

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 11.5* stiff

Hybrid: PXG 0311 GEN5 19*

Irons: JustGolf Forged Blades (4, 6, 8, PW)

Wedge: 56* Forged Prototype

Putter: PXG Blackjack Center Shaft 34"

Bag: Sunday Golf Loma XL

Played a member/member over the weekend.  Various formats each 9 holes and low score wins.  We shot a 28 in the 2 man scramble portion to take a 2 stroke lead with 9 to go.  My partner is putting from the fringe and during his practice stroke he knocks the ball backwards.  If he were on the green or tee box it isn't a penalty stroke.  I guess on the fringe it is.  When he did putt he left himself a 1 footer for double and missed it.  We lost by 2 strokes but had a ton of fun....other than that hole.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Played early 9 Monday & today and once again Cart Path Only. Yesterday not too bad in the slop, lost a ball mid fareway to “casual pond”. This morning not good. The slop for last week plus took its toll and I lost interest.
Canceled golf for Wednesday & Friday and will play Monday if courses dry out somewhat. Hearing a splash/spat on my shots is discouraging.
Lawn/flowers/shrubs sure is growing like crazy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I posted here about how badly I played last week, culminating with a horrible round on Saturday after thinking I had worked things out on the range. I got a lot of encouragement from people here, but what really helped were comments from @Kenny B and @silver & black. S&B talked about how he stopped focusing on score so much, and trying to forget a bad shot after it happened instead of letting that linger.

When I read that, I thought it would be difficult for me, because I rarely play a casual round. I'm always playing in either a league or money game, so score matters. I decided to clear my head and not touch a club from Saturday until yesterday mornings tee time. I didn't even take an air swing. What I did do was try to imagine myself taking a swing with a smoother tempo, instead of trying to "crush" every shot.

Yesterday turned out to be a dream pairing. We were playing two man best ball, and my partner had to cancel at the last minute, which meant I wouldn't know who my teammate was until they did a blind draw  after we were done. That took a lot of pressure to perform off of me, as did the fact the team I played with were two really nice guys. One is a good friend who plays to a 11, and the other was just the type of player I needed to be with after all my whining last week. He was once an excellent player, a few strokes above scratch. He suffers from a disease now that causes his hands to shake very badly. It's sad to watch him hit a ball so poorly, and even more heart breaking to watch him try to steady them and try to putt. He barely breaks a 100 now, yet never complains. He's a perfect gentleman who carries himself like he's still the player he was, and he's always encouraging to others.

I hit the ball really well yesterday, my irons were so much better. The putter was cold at the beginning, and I had a few 3 putts on the opening nine. That evened out though, as I later made a few long ones I wasn't expecting. It was a good day. Same course I blew up on Saturday, I shot a 43-41/84 yesterday.

Bottom line? I need to learn I'm not a Tour Pro, lol. I'm going to play badly at times. Stop beating myself up when I do. It's not the end of the world. 

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

@MaxEntropy and @Grand Stranded... It's great to see you guys recover from your issues, play well and have fun.  While I am waaaaaay past my competing days, I enjoy hearing about your successes.  Congratulations!!  

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS....
We had the championship match tonight. My opponent and I were next to each other on the range hitting bombs with beautiful flight. As is usually the case, we both stunk it up a bit on the course. We ended up tied on strokes (both +2 over our HC's) and we were close on holes, but I think I beat him. My partner handily beat his opponent. Overall, it was a great season. My partner has been playing in leagues a long time and figured something out - he dropped his handicap 5 strokes this season so will be bumped to A flight next year. I managed to drop mine 2 strokes, which I'll take.
Tonight I started par, par, bogey and finished par, bogey so I was +7 on the other holes with 3 penalties. According to Arccos, chipping was the best part of my game. Go figure, after having the yips this weekend. Getting back to the basics and trying [mention=69826]Tsmithjr9[/mention]'s tip helped greatly. I even chipped one in.
Woooooooooo congrats!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 minute ago, Slater said:

Played really well today, broke 80.  I was able to put it all together finally.

That is awesome, well done.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

56 minutes ago, Slater said:

Played really well today, broke 80.  I was able to put it all together finally.

Virtual✋

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg