TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think it caused all of my issues.  I mean it worked... but I was holding off all of my shots,  which lead to the big right miss.

going to look at the bottom end of the bag closer to see what I can do to get better full swing shots in the 120 and in range.

yes, rhetorical question.  😁

That was why I asked about the knock down shot.  It's interesting how working on one type of swing affects your other swings.  Don't give up on it; it just takes more practice to incorporate it into your arsenal where it doesn't affect your normal swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

That was why I asked about the knock down shot.  It's interesting how working on one type of swing affects your other swings.  Don't give up on it; it just takes more practice to incorporate it into your arsenal where it doesn't affect your normal swing.

Yeah.  Can’t have everything working at the same time.  Iron play has been stellar all year, woods pretty darn good.  Finally figure out a wedge game and the other two fall apart.

might just get of the wedges all together. 😂

49 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I broke my rule and took a video... getting steep in transition.  Should be able to sort that out in a short range session.  Got the John Daly transition going on.  Getting the club too far out in front of me, that would be a huge snap hook if I released the club like I normally do. 

Thats what I get for practicing a lot of short game.... 

I love this sport.

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I broke my rule and took a video... getting steep in transition.  Should be able to sort that out in a short range session.  Got the John Daly transition going on.  Getting the club too far out in front of me, that would be a huge snap hook if I released the club like I normally do. 

Thats what I get for practicing a lot of short game.... 

I love this sport.

Check out Justin Rose

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, Rickp said:

Foggy & Humid but no cart restrictions. Shot 43 w a 1st hole horrible dbl bogy.
Dropped the Ping G410 driver and used backup CobraF8. Good move the F8 worked very well and same distance as G410 but only 1 wayward drive but stayed in bounds, barely.
At least the I stayed up with the guy w the new Mavrik driver he’s been getting on my nerves.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The remark about the guy with the Mavrick really gave me a good laugh, lol.

My buddy is a really good player, and kills his driver. He's always looking for more though. At 52, he's 10-20 years younger than most of us, but only one of the other early 50's guys can keep up with him in distance.

He started off this spring with the Mavrick, and didn't like it (it was the only driver I've seen him struggle with (I'd love to have his "struggles" though) so he traded it for a Sim. He's got a slight fade with it, but he's been just demolishing it all year. Then he tells me he and the Callaway rep created what he calls his Frankenstein driver.... It's a Mavrick head, with the RCH stock shaft they put in the new Big Bertha driver. They also changed out the weight in the bottom of the head to one that weighs about 15 grams. What the new weight accomplishes, I have no idea, but he played the club Saturday. 

Now he has a draw, and is maybe another 15 yards longer.🙄 According to what the rep told him, it turns out the RCH shaft works better for most players with the Mavrick head than the Bertha it was designed for. They then dial in something or other with the weights.... 

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

3 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

The remark about the Mavrick really gave me a good laugh, lol.

My buddy is a really good player, and kills his driver. He's always looking for more though. At 52, he's 15-20 years younger than most of us, but only one of the other "young" guys can keep up with him in distance.

He started off this spring with the Mavrick, and didn't like it (it was the only driver I've seen him struggle with (I'd love to have his "struggles" though) so he traded it for a Sim. He's got a slight fade with it, but he's been just demolishing it all year. Then he tells me he and the Callaway rep created what he calls his Frankenstein driver.... It's a Mavrick head, with the RCH stock shaft they put in the new Big Bertha driver. They also changed out the weight in the bottom of the head to one that weighs about 15 grams. What the new weight accomplishes, I have no idea, but he played the club Saturday. 

Now he has a draw, and is maybe another 15 yards longer.🙄 According to what the rep told him, it turns out the RCH shaft works better for most players with the Mavrick head than the Bertha it was designed for. They then dial in something or other with the weights.... 

Shows that getting a good fitting can put together some great combos. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The remark about the Mavrick really gave me a good laugh, lol.
My buddy is a really good player, and kills his driver. He's always looking for more though. At 52, he's 10-20 years younger than most of us, but only one of the other early 50's guys can keep up with him in distance.
Now he has a draw, and is maybe another 15 yards longer. According to what the rep told him, it turns out the RCH shaft works better for most players with the Mavrick head than the Bertha it was designed for. They then dial in something or other with the weights.... 

This guy is 6-7 years younger than me which doesn’t seem like much but there’s a big deal between 66 & 74. I was always a bit longer than him but at same time I’ve been struggling and he bought the Mavrik and yes he is a lot longer. BUT this morning I was throwing some shade on his new length and he wasn’t happy.
It’s all good fun as we do a considerable amount of @@@ busting.
I mean a lot.

Shows that getting a good fitting can put together some great combos. 

Very True!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

9 minutes ago, Rickp said:

This guy is 6-7 years younger than me which doesn’t seem like much but there’s a big deal between 66 & 74. I was always a bit longer than him but at same time I’ve been struggling and he bought the Mavrik and yes he is a lot longer. BUT this morning I was throwing some shade on his new length and he wasn’t happy.
It’s all good fun as we do a considerable amount of @@@ busting.
I mean a lot.

Very True!

Trust me, I know what you're talking about with the age thing, I see it, and agree with you 100% . I've been down south almost ten years now, and I turned 66 on 6/25. I keep myself in pretty good shape, but I've noticed a slight loss of distance the last two years or so.

It seems the guys my age (low to mid sixties) are holding pretty steady for the most part, however it's really noticeable with the guys I've played with all those years who are 5-10 years older than me. Lots of high lofted drivers with light weight shafts, more hybrids and/or FWs added to the bag, and senior flex shafts...

The older guys who are either very good, or work out a lot harder than most are willing to, seem to maintain what they have a little better, but lets face it.... we're all battling against Father Time, and he's a tough man to beat. All we can do is try to battle him to a draw for as long as possible. 

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I had a 1:50 tee time today which was right into the teeth of an insane wind. Opening hole is 363 and I hit a solid driver and 17* Super Hybrid coming up just on the front fringe. 512 yd par 5 and after a 330 yd drive (LOL) I hit an 8 iron just over the green. 30-35 mph with 45+ gusts were no joke as I usually hit driver, 6 iron and pw/sw into that green. At least they are pretty much into or down wind with only 1 hole into a cross wind. 2 people I was playing with quit after 9 leaving me and a high index player from India on the back 9. I don't think he broke 150 and must have lost close to a dozen balls, but at least he had a good attitude and smiled his way through the round. But da-yum a weak slice into a 40+ wind really really goes sideways. On the 12th, a short 148yd par 3 he hit a 4 hybrid waaaay up in the air and it came down bouncing back toward him maybe 10 yds. Weirdest shot I have ever seen as it must have gotten over the front of the green before starting to come down blowing back and rolling toward us. All in all a fun round battling that wind. Funny, at 20 mph I get frustrated with the wind but at 35-45 mph it was much more of a mental and physical challenge to hit every shot as solid as possible. 

... #10 is a 317 yd slightly downhill par 3 with trees left and water right. I hit my 2 iron 290 with that insane wind at my back and could not stop a wedge on the green. Hit just on the front fringe and it still rolled off the 
back as I was too close to put some needed spin on the ball. Shot an adventurous 74 with 4 bogies and 2 birdies. Both birdies came from eagle chips and tap ins after hitting irons over the green on par 5's that I usually lay up when playing, but hitting 300+ yd drives with 45 mph winds really changes the holes. Sadly the last round for awhile as temps are dropping into the low 50's with 15-20 mph winds and no sun, which is a recipe for back problems. 

I like playing practice rounds in this conditions to get better acquainted of what is going to happen when I play against buddies in similar conditions. 

I hope you enjoyed it!

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Played the 2nd hardest course in my rotation of muni’s: shot 78. This is an all time low for me at this course(Bonneville GC), and all I can think about is the 3 double chips and 3 three putts that put me 6 over... 🤦🏾‍♂️

My game is always in great shape just as the season ends here in Utah: hopefully another 6 weeks of golfing weather at least 🤞🏾

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

Played last Friday going 43/42 with one birdie, one double and too many bogeys for sure. Driver was on point throughout the round, really only having one shot that led to a lost shot, everything else was fairway of just barely off. Putting was tough with some very quick greens currently as the season is wrapping up here in NH. Also breaking in some new wedges so missed some shots for inside 100 that I am usually much closer on. Still fun, need to enjoy the golf while its still here.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Finished bogey, bogey, bogey to post an 80 yesterday.  Our greens are incredibly fast lately, faster than I've ever seen them in the 17 years I've been playing this course.  While I prefer fast greens generally, these are like putting on glass and when they put the pins close to natural slopes, it can get dicey.  

I agree w you and also like fast greens but there is a point where they can be made unplayable.

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I agree w you and also like fast greens but there is a point where they can be made unplayable.

Yes, these are borderline.  The saving grace is that they're not so hard that you can't control the ball with full shots.    In the grand scheme, it's more of an issue of pin placement than speed of the greens.  Ideally, you'll see 6 tough, 6 easy, and 6 moderate tee placements.  The masochist who set our pins obviously preferred to put all of the pins such that slopes played a major role in things.  It was, indeed, an exercise in speed control!  On a positive note, our foursome had a game of 2 best net with another foursome and they faced the same issues --- at the end of the round, they were the ones reaching in their pockets to pay us. 😄

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Yes, these are borderline.  The saving grace is that they're not so hard that you can't control the ball with full shots.    In the grand scheme, it's more of an issue of pin placement than speed of the greens.  Ideally, you'll see 6 tough, 6 easy, and 6 moderate tee placements.  The masochist who set our pins obviously preferred to put all of the pins such that slopes played a major role in things.  It was, indeed, an exercise in speed control!  On a positive note, our foursome had a game of 2 best net with another foursome and they faced the same issues --- at the end of the round, they were the ones reaching in their pockets to pay us.

OK, guess the fast greens helped you get the green

Rick

Left Hand, 

about the same. But super hot and windy today... 99*at noon

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

1 minute ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Played Wednesday...all I can say is the driver is in the dog house.  Hot putter last week went cold turkey this week, beyond cold like Arctic cold. I just shook my head after the round and had some alcoholic beverages to drown my sorrows😁😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

What was the Beverage Of choice?!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

No “Bacon Boys”. Tee Times are rewarded in a points system and by groups avg. Our group avg was very high week along with Snowb.......I mean “Seasonal Residents” are flowing in and no points. So until they start playing Friday catching up w the points we’re kinda hurtin. It’ll level out by end of month, happens every fall.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 10/15/2020 at 12:30 AM, Micah T said:

Played the 2nd hardest course in my rotation of muni’s: shot 78. This is an all time low for me at this course(Bonneville GC), and all I can think about is the 3 double chips and 3 three putts that put me 6 over... 🤦🏾‍♂️

My game is always in great shape just as the season ends here in Utah: hopefully another 6 weeks of golfing weather at least 🤞🏾

That's some serious distance.  Great playing!

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Played fairly well today, but ball striking was not all that great.  Shot 78; 2 birdies (one on each side) and doubled both par 3s on the backside 🥺.   39/39 (par is 37/35 for this course setup).

Good job!!  Course setup is the same at my course.  The par 37 front nine is more difficult and hilly so a tougher walk.  The pa4 35 back nine is reasonably flat.  All of my 9-hole walking rounds are on the front nine.  🥴

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Good job!!  Course setup is the same at my course.  The par 37 front nine is more difficult and hilly so a tougher walk.  The pa4 35 back nine is reasonably flat.  All of my 9-hole walking rounds are on the front nine.  🥴

We have an unusual 27 hole course.  Rather than all 3 nines starting and returning from the clubhouse, it's set up where you either play holes 1-18 (Rogue Course (par 36/36)), the inside 9 (par 35), or what we call the crossover, where we play holes 1-3, 13-18, then the inside 9 (Original course or Chandler Egan Course (par 37/35)).  Holes 4-12 were added later and became the standard course.   Obviously, the pro shop determines which course you can play on any given day.  The normal course is the Rogue.  The inside 9 is the tougher of the 3 nines.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

54 minutes ago, CarlH said:

We have an unusual 27 hole course.  Rather than all 3 nines starting and returning from the clubhouse, it's set up where you either play holes 1-18 (Rogue Course (par 36/36)), the inside 9 (par 35), or what we call the crossover, where we play holes 1-3, 13-18, then the inside 9 (Original course or Chandler Egan Course (par 37/35)).  Holes 4-12 were added later and became the standard course.   Obviously, the pro shop determines which course you can play on any given day.  The normal course is the Rogue.  The inside 9 is the tougher of the 3 nines.  

Our front nine and holes 10-11 are near the clubhouse.  To get to holes 12-18 we have to take a tunnel to cross a 4 lane street (walkers jaywalk).  Good thing it's not a busy street!!

It's easy to play 12 holes and finish by the parking lot.  When you cross the street, #13-15 are as far as you can get from the clubhouse.

My recent poor form continued. Started ok but fell in a big hole. Course is very wet and as soft as I’ve seen it. Greens are still slow and very bumpy after some work nearly 2 months ago. Motivation is a bit low. Hopefully the course improves soon.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Played 9 at a short muni, used two balls and kept two scores as a little practice round. I tried to be a little more aggressive off the tee than I typically am to see how it worked. One ball was +7 (net +2), the other +1 (net -4), and the +7 was really due to two silly doubles that didn't have much to do with the more aggressive shots off the tee. I think I need to start getting more aggressive off the tee box next year.

I also continue to miss a bunch of birdie putts haha. Not sure what the deal is, because I feel like I hit way more equivalent length par putts. I think I just need to keep giving myself good looks until I'm not so spooked by the chance to make birdie haha.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here