TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Played Wednesday at one of our better courses here in the Springs. Started off well with pars, a lone birdie and a double.  Lost focus for a while kind of blew up for a bit.  Still a decent score for me on this course.

Slow as snot, the group two holes ahead were playing from the tips even though they didn’t have the game for it. Marshal just laughed when we suggested he should say something to them ☹️

FD617F19-0D8E-4443-BCD0-3A69CA64985F.png

78 today.  2 birdies, neither paying off for skins.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Today the weather was beautiful at 64° at 730 am and got to 74° by 930 when we finished. Sunny and calm out here in Southern California, I played a local executive 9 hole, par 29 course. 

I haven't been practicing near as much as I was due to lack of funds. I hit one or two buckets in the last 30 days and, this was only the second round in the last 45 days. I wasn't sure what was going to happen as I got up to the tee and didn't warm up or even take a practice swing. 

I was gaming my 'old dudes' Sunday bag of vintage gear - Ping Eye2 Driver-3W-7W, TM Firesole 6i & 9i, Tour Action III SW, Doug Sanders Chipper, and a Bull's-eye Putter, 8 clubs in all. 

I grabbed my 9i for the first hole playing about 95 yds, launched it over the back by at least 10 yds, chipped in the green with my SW and into the hole for BIRDIE - to my surprise. 

2nd hole playing about 155 - 6i just short, putt chip, and 2 putts more for bogey.

3rd hole playing about 310 yards - Ping Eye 2 Driver with a steel shaft crushed, SW from 70 yards, 2 putt par.

4th playing about 120 - 9i off the right, SW, 2 Putts for Bogey

5th playing any 315 yards - Driver to the right side of fairway, 9i opened a bit 3/4 swing for a butter cut from 105 to pin high, 2 putt par. 

6th playing about 175ish - Ping Eye 2 7w - first OB, hitting 3 from the tee to 20 yards short, opened SW slightly to float it on the green, 2 putt double bogey. 

7th playing 130ish tried to be cute and draw around a tree but pull hooked it left, SW on the green, 2 putt bogey

8th - Doug Sanders Radar Chipper from the tee playing about 140yds downhill just off the back of the green, SW on, 2 putt bogey

9th playing about 126 - 9i plugged in the green about 7 ft from the hole, 1 putt BIRDIE. 

Overall, at a 14.7 HDCP my course handicap was 5 and I played right on it with a 34. I was very happy to be out playing. I rarely get birdies so, two in one round was fantastic. 

Also, with lack of practice, it was amazing to be able to pull off any shot with reliable distance. Two shots with this old copper Ping EYE2 clone sand wedge was really cool - the hole out for BIRDIE on 1 & the chip on 6. The two drives were also really fun with the old Ping Eye2 driver - the first one was about 240 yards right down the middle. Lastly, the two TM Firesole irons with Bubble shafts are also +1" which was really fun to play with compared to my normal gamers which are steel shafted Ping G2 irons. 

Picture shows the woods, SW, and chipper I used. The putter and TM irons are not pictured

IMG_20200916_124020.jpg

IMG_20200916_124214.jpg

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

78 - Wow - best I have ever done is 

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

78 today.  2 birdies, neither paying off for skins.

Wow - best for me has been 81 - though 1st round of our club champs - running 2nd with a monthly medal in my bag. Here's hoping for another 3 good ones

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

On Friday I drove by the course on the way to get my hairs cut and saw the crew rolling the green on #15.  OK, I thought the greens were about up to our normal pre-aerating speed, so I wondered why they were speeding them up.  Found out today as my wife and I got to the course for our 8:18 tee time; Men's Club Championship (I don't play in it, never have.)  After warming up on the range I looked over at the putting green... flags!!!  We haven't had flags on the putting or pitching greens since March.  No holes; just flags with bumpers stuck in the green.  I like those anyway.  DANG!!  The greens are FAST.  

..., I feel your pain/joy. I have played well over 1,000 rounds at the local muni a few miles from my home. A really nice muni but on any given day the greens can be covered in ball marks and they are almost always a medium speed and occasionally on the slow side but never fast. There is plenty of slope and some tiering but mid speed means they are not too difficult to putt unless they get too creative with pin placements. But like you, I played the afternoon after the morning Mens Championship and the greens were sooooooo fast. I have never played there with the greens rolling as fast as they were for the Championship. Caused me several problems because although the pins were fair, some were right on the border of unfair as fast as they were rolling. And after 1,000 round it was just difficult to re-wire my brain to accommodate the speed. But we are in the same boat as I would LOVE to get used to that speed because they have never rolled truer.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

20 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Day 1 of our Saturday Blitz Two Day semiannual tourney. Weather was Sunny and 70* at Shotgun start. We had 31 players ready to go.

I shot a 43/39:82 with 2 Birdies. That put in tied for 5th with +2 on my quota of 25 points. Played all 18 holes with one ball, Wilson Staff Professional. The Leader was +7, so I have a chance of a good finish this year.

Go gettem Foz 👍

I got to play Indian Valley CC yesterday with a friend whose son is getting married there & part of the wedding package is some tee times.  It is a very nice course, played long for me as the young punks shamed me to the back tees at 6900 yards.  I hit the ball pretty well, lost more than a few shots being unfamiliar with the layout and ended up at 85.  I also lost a couple balls that had us frustrated because they were just off the fairway in leaves.  I used the Snell MTB-X again and really like the way it plays.  Got up & down out of two bunkers, which actually had nice sand in them, lipping out on one of them.  All in all a great day of fun golf with good friends.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Day 1 of our Saturday Blitz Two Day semiannual tourney. Weather was Sunny and 70* at Shotgun start. We had 31 players ready to go.

I shot a 43/39:82 with 2 Birdies. That put in tied for 5th with +2 on my quota of 25 points. Played all 18 holes with one ball, Wilson Staff Professional. The Leader was +7, so I have a chance of a good finish this year.
Image1602983636.032967.thumb.jpg.9441fd89581d09f59c5221b1c2bf7ac4.jpg

First Birdie of the day, Hole #7, set up with my new Cleveland Zipcore 58* from 45 yards, after a 225 yd drive!

Image1602988520.516594.thumb.jpg.af94cf2e33bd63fafe15f949f7332d5c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8 (12*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” Slotline SSi 693 Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Foz just noticed the Driver, F8 12’(set @ 11.5d) with Tensi Blue 55 gr shaft and so far I’m liken’ it. Outside of LH same as yours.
You still happy w it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Didn't play the best today, was raining pretty hard and was wet out. Didn't keep score on all holes, wasn't planning to submit scores for handicap anyway.

Found my driver swing again, but too bad it was at the range after my round lol. But what I rediscovered was a setup change, so luckily that isn't something too hard to reimplement. I think my driver swing is in decent shape for Titleist Thursday in a few days.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Played with [mention=12972]MattF[/mention] and [mention=69826]Tsmithjr9[/mention] this morning. We played one of the tougher munis in Akron (at least in my book). I feel like I was hitting the ball decently but struggled to score, especially on the front. Ended up with 8 pars (6 on the back thanks to some good chipping), but too many doubles and a triple. Ended up shooting 45/42 (par 71). The greens seemed lightning fast, but I suspect that had a lot to do with the fact that every other course I've played for the last 3-ish weeks had been recently aerated.
Agree with you on the greens, but it was nice to find a course where they weren't aerated. It's a tough course, but they've opened it up from 15 years ago, last I played. You need to have the right club off the tee as there are a ton of doglegs. It was a fun time with good company. Looking forward to the next one.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Well, my wife and I headed to the course this morning to play with one of our lady friends, same time as yesterday.  Nice out; 58º cloudy, not much wind.  The three of us headed to the tee; a breeze started blowing.  They both asked if I was going to play the Forward tees with them... never played there before.  Why not!  Work on my short game.  🤣

The breeze quickly became a howling, gusty wind 20-30 mph; remember the lightning fast greens I mentioned that I liked yesterday?? Putting was a lot different today; the ball actually moved on a couple of greens.  Shot 85 with 3 doubles.  Played from spots on the course I have never seen, and was in bunkers that I could never reach unless I duffed my previous shot!

Not a good score for sure, but I could tell that playing from there was definitely easier.  I took too many shots with driver that I didn't need to take.  Without the wind and playing for position I feel like I could go pretty low if my short game is on.  However, I'm not ready to even move up to the senior tees.  Not fair playing with my wife.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

26 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Went out this morning to get a round in before my flight tomorrow. Playing in a charity outing on Tuesday in Kansas City. Then another round with customers on Wednesday and a few hours booked Thursday at Top Golf with customers. (I know tough job I have)

Today's round was interesting to say the least. I hit all fairways but one. Really did hit it but it was sloped so it just rolled into the right rough. Iron shots had me laugh a few times. I had three layers of clothes on so I guess I was just not bending over enough. I thinned 4 iron shots. Killed a few worms on the way to the green. That's what made me laugh. Even when I thinned it it still found the green.  So my greens in regulation was ok, but it wasn't pretty achieving it. 13 of 18  I only had one bad hole with a double. I landed in a green side bunker and it was like concrete. The club bounced off the sand and I skulled the shot out and over the green. Then chunked a chip, but still rolled on then a two putt.

Overall not a bad day, 38 on the front and 36 on the back. Two birdies. 

Clubs are cleaned and packed. Ready to roll....

Have a safe flight and good trip to Kansas. Sounds like a rough gig. 🤣 

I just pulled off an 88 😳.

It was 47* and windy. I played well... until I was on the green. Bogey and double most of the round, with a few pars thrown in. The greens were faster than I've ever played on my home course in 25 years. I just couldn't get the feel for them. A missed putt would go 10-15 feet passed the hole. It was a great day other than the score! 🙂

Maiden voyage for my new Honma irons.  38/40:78     2 bogies and 2 doubles.  
Only hit 6 fairways but the misses were mostly just in the rough.  Couple of bad tee shots with one ending up with a penalty stroke.  
Irons were fabulous;  hit 12 greens,  1 was just off, and  1 was about 7 feet off.   Need to add the 11 (gap) iron to the set.   Shafts might be a little light but the clubs performed very well.   My original thought was that these clubs were going to be about a club shorter than my Srixon's.  In reality,  I was getting about the same distance.  The only green I missed on the front was one that I hit long.  

The Honma’s are a really nice put together iron.
I’m not sure if I ever posted about this but a friend of mine is playing Honma irons. He became career military intelligence after Vietnam (drafted) and was stationed in South Korea for years and met his wonderful wife there and she cane back to the States w him when he was stationed at the Pentagon. A couple years ago his sister in law and wife got his iron specs and purchased a set of Honma irons for him. They are great looking irons and he’s killin them. His iron played greatly improved, plus his bag looks great!!
He retired as Full Bird Colonel

Only hit 6 fairways but the misses were mostly just in the rough.  Couple of bad tee shots with one ending up with a penalty stroke.  
Irons were fabulous;  hit 12 greens,  1 was just off, and  1 was about 7 feet off.   Need to add the 11 (gap) iron to the set.   Shafts might be a little light but the clubs performed very well.   My original thought was that these clubs were going to be about a club shorter than my Srixon's.  In reality,  I was getting about the same distance.  The only green I missed on the front was one that I hit long.  

The Honma’s are a really nice put together iron.
I’m not sure if I ever posted about this but a friend of mine is playing Honma irons. He became career military intelligence after Vietnam (drafted) and was stationed in South Korea for years and met his wonderful wife there and she cane back to the States w him when he was stationed at the Pentagon. A couple years ago his sister in law and wife got his iron specs and purchased a set of Honma irons for him. They are great looking irons and he’s killin them. His iron played greatly improved, plus his bag looks great!!
He retired as Full Bird Colonel

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Foz just noticed the Driver, F8 12’(set @ 11.5d) with Tensi Blue 55 gr shaft and so far I’m liken’ it. Outside of LH same as yours.
You still happy w it?

Yes I am.....after I switched it to 12*, I started hitting it farther with decent loft. I also changed the 3W to 16* and the 5W to 20*. I am now getting more loft and more straight distance. All 3 F8’s are in the bag, two years after I got them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra F8 (12*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” Slotline SSi 693 Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

That's great to hear, I'm happy for you. I saw the picture you posted, they're beautiful irons.

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

That's great to hear, I'm happy for you. I saw the picture you posted, they're beautiful irons.

They are beautiful and feel great. It is nice that people on here recognize the brand. Guys I played with had never heard of Honma and I think they believe they aren’t the quality of the mainstream well known OEMs.

Kind of like a conversation I had earlier this year with someone on my company golf team and i have seen someone else post on here. I hit a good shot with my driver and get asked what kind of club it is which I say ping G400 max. He then asks what kind of shaft am I playing to which I say it is the KBS wood shaft and he responds with I mean what flex.

Always fun seeing the response Of non equipment people.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG