TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Here is my Hole of the Day... or How I played the par 5 #6...

1. Tee shot - duck hooked to the upslope of the large grassy mound on the left
  2. 2nd shot - since on a severe upslope, I decided to hit driver off the deck; big mistake!
  3. 3rd shot - now I'm about where my normal tee shot lies; hit a low slicing 3W but miss two fairway bunkers
  4. 4th shot - hit a decent 9i that stopped 5 feet short of the green; green runs downhill to the middle of the green
  5. 5th shot - chip onto green and ball runs down the slope breaking 2 feet into the cup for par.

In other words, just like you planned it. 🤣

Great recovery!

Spring golf is weird, let's start with that. With swirling winds and temps fighting to stay above 50, I went out this afternoon. Apparently I am even worse of a wind player than I thought, very high ball hitter. The courses greens were recovering from punching, they were slow and almost no break.

Front 9 I shot 38, and only hit one green! 11 putts and 7/8 fairways. I wasn't hitting my irons bad, or even losing distance in the cool weather. It just seemed like every hole, I misjudged something or the wind changed after I set up. The first 4 holes on the back were the same, though I finally got a second green. I'm +2 through 13.

Then the last 5 holes took 2+ hours to play as a 4some of clowns had us stuck. So I finished bogey-bogey-par-double-bogey.. Spent over 30 min on the 14th tee as it got colder and I got stiffer standing in the wind and setting sun. Lost the driver and 3 long holes dead into the wind, with a penalty. Short game wizardry stuck around as I only had 13 more putts for the back 9. 79 for the day, so it's more a what could have been type round.

For the CLE/AKR spies who may read this - why aren't the metro parks run by people who know anything about golf????? I love these courses, but every time I go there's always some kind of BS like this. I was at Seneca, they have 36 holes and they send 4 groups in a row down the same 9. What are you doing?????

Take Dead Aim

Where are you located? Years ago I used to play a course named Seneca.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
PXG 0211 w/Project X Evenflo Riptide Regular shaft; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” EVNROLL E6R Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Matchplay qualifiers yesterday and today.

Played yesterday and had a mare of a round. Since the start of the season I've been struggling with club head speed and hitting the ball fat. A fortnight ago I changed my setup opening my stance slightly and this initially resulted in better strikes and more consistency but I would get the occasional socket rocket and a drive coming off the heel. Yesterday it all fell apart, heels, thins, shanks, pulls, slices, duffed chips. Had an adventurous 11 on the 4th:

1. Drive pulled off the heel into the woods, rechocies back into fairway.
  2. (in my head, take punishment and play to middle of fairway) 3w push and fade into bushes right.
  3. Penalty drop back 30 yds 
  4. Pull 3w left into trees
  5. PW I can get it over the trees, hits them square on after I thin the shot
  6. Punch out under the trees catches the bank of the ditch but stays out
  7. 40 yd pitch caught heavy and rolls off the  front
  8. Chip caught heavy rolls off front
  9. Chip caught heavy and just stays on
  10. Putt lips hole
  11. In the hole

My playing partner usefully pointed out that I had just used all my strokes on the one hole. 

Out in 47 back in 41 for 88, net 82.

Decided not to play in the other qualifier today, may spend some time on the range.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

It's a course owned by the metro parks in Cleveland, OH. The city ran it for years and it was a burnt out hack around. About 7 years ago the metro parks took over management and restored the entire 36 holes, it's gorgeous now. It's a old school layout that stretches to 7100+. It's my favorite type of course, one that is tough but not tricked up. Everything is in front of you and you just have to go get it.

Where are you located? Years ago I used to play a course named Seneca.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
PXG 0211 w/Project X Evenflo Riptide Regular shaft; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore LW(58*) w/DG Spinner shaft. Putter: 33” EVNROLL E6R Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Dew Sweeping at Monterey CC ...par'd a couple holes and then went on a double boggey tear. PXL_20210418_114734372.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:wilson_staff_small: Triton 10.5 degree regular flex
:taylormade-small: R580 3 & 5 stiff flex 
1700984641_Screenshot2021-02-09at1_22_31PM.png.826d2fd278c265f02c50f581ec750bf5.png Inazone Single Length 4H
:cobra-small: 5i-SW Cobra Fmax ONE Length regular flex steel
:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 
:ping-small: 2021 Hoofer 

image.jpeg.f0b1d1d2bc3b2ec6880dd6c9a3b096e9.jpeg   image.jpeg.231a9c2f1e7b1dc46388ceac1039351a.jpeg     image.png.32ebfd5998dc591ff68ab71bb6d09b08.png

It's official, I've hit the lowest point of my golfing life. I played nine holes today and it started out great, I was one over through the first two holes and then it all went south. 

I had scores of 10, 13, and 15 on three holes, the two par 5's and the par 4 7th. The driver was a superstar, I didn't hit but one fairway, but I was striping the ball. I had a couple of drives that approached 240. Where I got into trouble was with my approach game. I don't think I've ever shanked so many in my life. I don't think I hit one iron shot solid. The par 4 was completely a mental breakdown in my part. My second shot was shanked into some high grass and lost. I dropped and tried to play a 5 iron punch through some trees and ended up in high grass that took several shots to get out of. I finally hit one backwards to get back in the fairway. 

I ran into trouble also on the par 5 6th, shanking one that brought the pond into play where I promptly hit two balls into it. It just wasn't my day.

I'm almost embarrassed to post my score, but for those of you wondering, it was 69.

It'll get there, I feel I'm close and was happy to be playing on a beautiful 70 degree day. 

16 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

It's official, I've hit the lowest point of my golfing life. I played nine holes today and it started out great, I was one over through the first two holes and then it all went south. 

I had scores of 10, 13, and 15 on three holes, the two par 5's and the par 4 7th. The driver was a superstar, I didn't hit but one fairway, but I was striping the ball. I had a couple of drives that approached 240. Where I got into trouble was with my approach game. I don't think I've ever shanked so many in my life. I don't think I hit one iron shot solid. The par 4 was completely a mental breakdown in my part. My second shot was shanked into some high grass and lost. I dropped and tried to play a 5 iron punch through some trees and ended up in high grass that took several shots to get out of. I finally hit one backwards to get back in the fairway. 

I ran into trouble also on the par 5 6th, shanking one that brought the pond into play where I promptly hit two balls into it. It just wasn't my day.

I'm almost embarrassed to post my score, but for those of you wondering, it was 69.

It'll get there, I feel I'm close and was happy to be playing on a beautiful 70 degree day. 

Sorry for the laugh...the video told the story quite well 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Had some hit or miss holes today. Would go from a par to a double to a birdie. I putted well on the fast greens but only scored a 99 on a course I typically come close to breaking 90 on. I had a really bad ball striking day but I also wasn’t swinging full speed which I never do my first round of the year. Picked up my speed as I went and got some distance back. Need to hit the range to work on some things I barely hit my bay fade today i was hitting more draws which I don’t enjoy doing unless I need to

41/41 with 35 putts 🤮🤮

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

23 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I think we have all had days like that.  Shake it off!!

At least you shot one under the temperature!!  🤪

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

23 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Sorry for the laugh...the video told the story quite well 

That's the side effect from listening to the Chasing Scratch podcast, they used "Hey Wayne" in one of their episodes and it cracked me up. 

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I think we have all had days like that.  Shake it off!!

At least you shot one under the temperature!!  🤪

I'll be good, what I'm taking away from the round is my driver was good and I forgot to mention I putted decently. I had 19 with two three putts and one 1 putt. 

I came home and stuck the scorecard on my bathroom mirror, a la Rocky in Rocky 4 to motivate me. 

Today I was the token male in our group.  Two couples we usually play with had AWOL husbands; one still recovering from knee replacement and the other left today on a business trip.  So, the better halfs joined my wife and I.  

I struck the ball better today than yesterday, but putting was not very good.  Our greens still show signs of being punched, and if the ball is not struck firmly, it comes up short or catches the edge of a punch hole and drifts off one way or the other.

40 (+3) on the front; should have been one shot better.  Not being fully stretched out, I didn't rotate very well on my wedge approach to #2 and like @sirchunksalot I shank the ball over a large grassy mound... led to a bogey on the hole at my course I birdie the most.

38 (+3) on the back for a 78.  I did make a tap-in birdie on the par 4 #14 after lipping out a birdie putt on #13, then lipped another birdie putt out on #15.  Finished with a bogey on the par 5 #18 after a great drive to the middle of the fairway at the dogleg.  Tried for the green from here...  

IMG_1402.jpeg.7c81ba79af2f50dfdea551527a529c36.jpeg

but came up short in the bunker; ended up bogeying the hole.  I have never tried for the green in two shots because I don't hit the ball far enough to have this look, mostly because of the prevailing wind.  I usually have to play a draw around that tree and end up in the fairway bunker.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Half decent range session today.  Trying to quit overswinging, mainly with the driver, and I felt like I made a little progress with it.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think one of the most amazing things about this game is what you experienced never changes regardless of your ability. I played with an ex college player the other day and he was so frustrated that he missed 3 eagle putts and one rolled a good 7 feet past the hole and he missed the birdie. So for 3 holes he was 2 under and the next hole he faded one OB out of frustration and trying to hit it too hard and he said he felt like a beginner. I was shooting in the mid 70's for most of the winter before finding my form a few weeks ago and while I never seriously considered quitting the game, it just wasn't very much fun at all. Being outdoors walking in the warm/hot sunshine with good company and in the middle of the amazing desert wild life I couldn't complain but damm the actually playing was so frustrating. And I watched Nelly Korda yesterday look like she was ready to sell her clubs to anyone on the other side of the ropes and definitely was not having any fun. 

... So it happens to all of us but the flip side is so much more rewarding when we play well because we have had these miserable rounds where nothing seemed to work to compare them to. Hang in there!

I appreciate the kind words and the advice, Sam. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you, so thank you. 

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'll be good, what I'm taking away from the round is my driver was good and I forgot to mention I putted decently. I had 19 with two three putts and one 1 putt. 

I

When ever you start shanking try doing the drill where you try to hit it off the toe like you did the other day. They were all dead center even though you were trying to hit if off the toe. For me, if I happen to shank one it means I am crowding the ball. I'll step away 1/2" and the problem is gone. You have roughly 2 to 2-1/2" of clubface from the hosel to the toe.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

11 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Shot an inconsistent 110 today. First drive with the super hybrid today was superb (went as far as my longest driver hit, see shot of the day). Everything fade city after that. First driver was great. Everything after was fade city. You get the picture. Looking forward to my driver fitting. Really contemplating lessons too.

Iron play was fairly solid (see shot of the day). Some mishits but some awesome balls too. Contemplating a 4h instead of my 4i but that is just today’s flavor of the week. Putting was for not as the greens were like playing plinko (punched and sandy).  I likely break 100 with the greens in normal shape as nothing would check and i left about 6 putt just at the lip. My 58 was Jekyll and Hyde. Some shots were great, some were WTF was that. Great to be out. 

From experience... don't automatically think a 4h replaces a 4i.  I think you will find that more than likely, a 5h replaces a 4i.  It would be a good idea to check that out at your fitting.  Hybrids typically fly higher and further than equivalent irons.

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

From experience... don't automatically think a 4h replaces a 4i.  I think you will find that more than likely, a 5h replaces a 4i.  It would be a good idea to check that out at your fitting.  Hybrids typically fly higher and further than equivalent irons.

Thanks. My 3H (19*) doesn’t follow that as it only has about 1/2 - 3/4 club more than my 4i (22*)

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

When ever you start shanking try doing the drill where you try to hit it off the toe like you did the other day. They were all dead center even though you were trying to hit if off the toe. For me, if I happen to shank one it means I am crowding the ball. I'll step away 1/2" and the problem is gone. You have roughly 2 to 2-1/2" of clubface from the hosel to the toe.  

I'll definitely focus on this the next couple of weeks, it worked fantastically on the range. I tried it once on the course and shanked it, so I abandoned it. I'm not planning on playing again for two weeks, I don't think they'll cancel this Saturday and I'm going to just relax Sunday.