TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Not to be Captain Obvious and again most on a golf forum are usually pretty knowledgeable about the basics but I hope you guys are choking down on your clubs when standing closer to the ball for chips and pitches. Not talking about full swings but the amount of people I see that do not choke up for chips/pitches is just mind boggling. 

Definitely!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

10 hours ago, chisag said:

... Not to be Captain Obvious and again most on a golf forum are usually pretty knowledgeable about the basics but I hope you guys are choking down on your clubs when standing closer to the ball for chips and pitches. Not talking about full swings but the amount of people I see that do not choke up for chips/pitches is just mind boggling. 

Probably getting off topic a bit, but your post makes it seem like everyone should do this all the time.  Did some searching and can’t really find anything that says it is required or an obvious thing. I understand it could provide more control but your captain obvious makes it seem like a best practice and everyone does it all the time     As examples, here are some videos of non choked down.  Not trying to knock what you are saying, trying to learn 

james ridyard: short game coach

Tiger woods 

james sieckmann: short game coach

https://www.facebook.com/titleist/videos/408455400331163/

phil mickelson

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

Closer worked well for full swing and for chips.  I just need to get the pitches figured out when I am on the course.  It worked okay on the range 🤪

I wish my range play was my course play 😂😂

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

10 hours ago, chisag said:

Nope not obvious, I consciously am not sure if I do or not TBO? I’m going to have to pay attention and see if I actually do choke down on my around the green play.....that’s alarming that I don’t know....

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

Played a tournament round down in Harbor Lakes, Granbury, TX.  It was a very tough day to play in steady 20-25mphs winds💨, it was hard to even swing in the tee box as your body kept on moving and putting well, they lost their greens do to the frost, and it was either padded down dirt or somewhat a resembled of grass and the ball moving.
I did have some wind assist putts that went in , pass it 1 to 2 in and the wind blew💨 it back into the hole, those were they highlights of making a 6 instead of a 7. Thanks wind.. 🤣
Playing in the wind takes you out of your normal game, you know you not suppose to swing harder but you can't talk your self out of it. Trying to hit shots further back in your stand, created some power shanks while trying to hit harder because of the wind. Am surprise I was able to score what I did, and came in 4th. I know there were at least 2-3 people didn't break 100. 
Not a pretty score card.

image.png.1a2c98183afbc0da68e55c1fd0dd33ef.png

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Probably getting off topic a bit, but your post makes it seem like everyone should do this all the time.  Did some searching and can’t really find anything that says it is required or an obvious thing. I understand it could provide more control but your captain obvious makes it seem like a best practice and everyone does it all the time     As examples, here are some videos of non choked down.  Not trying to knock what you are saying, trying to learn 

james ridyard: short game coach

Tiger woods 

james sieckmann: short game coach

https://www.facebook.com/titleist/videos/408455400331163/

phil mickelson

I'm in the same boat as @cnosil here, not discounting the advice but I can also say I'm not aware of it as a universally-accepted mandate.  Dave Stockton is another, in his book "Unconscious Scoring", who specifically recommends against choking down.  I don't have the book at my fingertips at the moment but he had his reasons...I'll have to check and circle back here tonight.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

20 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Short game is everything...the foundation of every swing and the key to success or failure is tempo.  Take it back too quickly and I'll guarantee a deceleration.  

I agree that the short game is everything, you see some coaches teaching new players from the green back to tee box.
I spend more time practicing chipping and putting, since those golf movements can be minimal and you can get a consistent tempo easier than Hitting your driver or irons.

To me if am chipping and putting well, it takes less pressure of my driver or irons because I have the confidence that I can get up and down most of the time. That cause my Driver and Iron to swing freely.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)

6 minutes ago, bens197 said:

We've all heard that a majority of our strokes occur around the green...and while that's 100% accurate, I never gave that the attention it deserved.  This season I started putting in the reps with the putter and wedges and really gave my effort to those swings.

It's amazing as you guys have said, the dividends paid by putting reps into those shots.  Not only do they repair any issues with a larger swing, the confidence that I myself gained make me feel so much better when I play a round where I need to grind.  I don't like that round grind me, I grind it back!

Yes Arccos was my eye opener, I dont need to focus off the tee. I am losing so much 150 and in, this year is my "moving day". I am not worried as much about hoseling one from 30 yards out, the past 3 rounds were extremely reassuring of my off season work.

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... This is why we are all here, to share and discuss golf so thanks for your reply as well as others that chimmed in. My post was a little too broad and I do not normally choke down for standard pitches. As I said when standing closer to the ball I do, and this is always a short pitch around the green where I need to use the bounce or open the face for a controlled short shot. I do choke down for all of my chipping by about 3/4", not much but it makes a big difference in my posture. The Captain Obvious was conventional wisdom and again doesn't apply to everyone. Raymond Floyd is regarded by many as one of the best chippers ever and his technique was not conventional. There is also a difference of opinion on having the ball back in your stance and using the leading edge or more forward and using the bounce. There just is no one way that works best for all. 

... There are quite a few reasons other than when standing closer you need to choke down, like counter balancing the shaft and of course just more control. But golf is a very unique and personal endeavor and there are basics that usually work for the majority but certainly not for all. If you have learned to chip without choking down and consider it a strength of your game there is no reason to change, although I have always been a fan of experimenting ng because you never know when something will cause an improvement. My post was in response to quite a few chipping problems people were listing especially fat, thin and bladed. I would add I was surprised how many students thought of pitching and chipping as the same thing so sorry for generalizing. You stated you don't choke down from 20 yds out which is truly a pitch and not a long chip. 

... I am never too old to learn, these fast hard fairways and areas around the greens in Phoenix combined with Bermuda grain has dictated I learn a new short game. 10yds off the green with a front pin I would hit an aggressive pitch that would hit and take a mini hop and stop back dead in the midwest. That was my go to shot and rarely hit any kind of running shot even to a back pin. The lies are so tight here and if the grain is growing away that shot is impossible and I have had to learn to hit longer running chips both through the fairway or on the green.  

... There are plenty of videos out there and here is a classic technique from Brad Faxon with several options around the green. Notice he chokes down about 3/4" for his standard chips but does not mention it. In fact many chipping video's don't mention choking down a little but it is obvious the instructor is doing it. 

I used the hybrid for off the green and specially if I have a long way to go to the flag.
and have choke down on my wedges when chipping. I found that I was more consistent with the stroke, and was using the bounce more.  I don't even think about it, its automatic..

Local Golf Course was 1/2 mile from our house.  I was there many evenings in the practice green, chipping area or walking a few holes before dark.  Rarely beat balls in the range, I loved working on short game.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 5/10/2021 at 1:06 PM, chisag said:

... This is why we are all here, to share and discuss golf so thanks for your reply as well as others that chimmed in. My post was a little too broad and I do not normally choke down for standard pitches. As I said when standing closer to the ball I do, and this is always a short pitch around the green where I need to use the bounce or open the face for a controlled short shot. I do choke down for all of my chipping by about 3/4", not much but it makes a big difference in my posture. The Captain Obvious was conventional wisdom and again doesn't apply to everyone. Raymond Floyd is regarded by many as one of the best chippers ever and his technique was not conventional. There is also a difference of opinion on having the ball back in your stance and using the leading edge or more forward and using the bounce. There just is no one way that works best for all. 

... There are quite a few reasons other than when standing closer you need to choke down, like counter balancing the shaft and of course just more control. But golf is a very unique and personal endeavor and there are basics that usually work for the majority but certainly not for all. If you have learned to chip without choking down and consider it a strength of your game there is no reason to change, although I have always been a fan of experimenting ng because you never know when something will cause an improvement. My post was in response to quite a few chipping problems people were listing especially fat, thin and bladed. I would add I was surprised how many students thought of pitching and chipping as the same thing so sorry for generalizing. You stated you don't choke down from 20 yds out which is truly a pitch and not a long chip. 

... I am never too old to learn, these fast hard fairways and areas around the greens in Phoenix combined with Bermuda grain has dictated I learn a new short game. 10yds off the green with a front pin I would hit an aggressive pitch that would hit and take a mini hop and stop back dead in the midwest. That was my go to shot and rarely hit any kind of running shot even to a back pin. The lies are so tight here and if the grain is growing away that shot is impossible and I have had to learn to hit longer running chips both through the fairway or on the green.  

... There are plenty of videos out there and here is a classic technique from Brad Faxon with several options around the green. Notice he chokes down about 3/4" for his standard chips but does not mention it. In fact many chipping video's don't mention choking down a little but it is obvious the instructor is doing it. 

Great post...like you I appreciate the back and forth.  Just circling back since I mentioned Dave Stockton's "Unconscious Scoring," and while I won't quote him at length he basically says that in his experience choking down leads to too much speed in the chipping motion...that it creates fast hands instead of the longer stroke/swing he prefers.

Ironically, he follows up by saying there are many ways to do it; mentions Hubert Green as having the second best short game he's ever seen (behind Raymond Floyd) and then says he didn't agree with any of the mechanics Green employed to get it done! 

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

2 minutes ago, edingc said:

- 44/48 = 92 / 90 ESC (+19) 
- 4/13 FIR
- 3/18 GIR (1 birdie) 
- 31 Putts (1 3-putts, 11 2-putts, 6 1-putts) - Had three lip out on me... blah.

Had a free greens fee that expired this week at the condo course I play occasionally, so I took the afternoon off to take advantage of that. Decided to challenge myself from the back tees, which in retrospect with a 15 MPH sustained wind was really a poor choice. The course rates out as a 72.9/142, but they shortened a few holes to accommodate more condos over the past five years, so it's only 6,300-ish yards now. I would assume they'll re-rate sometime, but that's besides the point of this post...

My golf game is feast or famine so far this season. Today I couldn't hit anything from the tee and it cost me dearly. I think I lost five balls in total to hazards or out of bounds, and I carded a nine on the first par 5 after most likely visiting someone's yard with my tee shot (couldn't tell, ball was right, going right) and then getting a bad luck bounce on the cart path in front of the green out of bounds on my approach shot. 

Six pars and a birdie tells you how poorly the other 11 holes went. At least I putted really well! Something about these greens really suit me - I putted extremely well last time I played here, too. They're very quick but they roll true and I enjoy that a lot.

MIssing all over the place from the tee, or the same kind of right and more right miss over and over?

Early 9 holes on a tough Exec with 1 par 4.  Par 3 holes were long for us Ole Farts, 150-185yds.

The Mizzie irons were great they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Putting well another issue, sunk 1 decent putt, lip out after lip out I’ll be using a stouter tomorrow, Anser goes in time out.

Didn't keep score but 1 double, 3 bogies rest pars.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 minutes ago, edingc said:

- 44/48 = 92 / 90 ESC (+19) 
- 4/13 FIR
- 3/18 GIR (1 birdie) 
- 31 Putts (1 3-putts, 11 2-putts, 6 1-putts) - Had three lip out on me... blah.

Had a free greens fee that expired this week at the condo course I play occasionally, so I took the afternoon off to take advantage of that. Decided to challenge myself from the back tees, which in retrospect with a 15 MPH sustained wind was really a poor choice. The course rates out as a 72.9/142, but they shortened a few holes to accommodate more condos over the past five years, so it's only 6,300-ish yards now. I would assume they'll re-rate sometime, but that's besides the point of this post...

My golf game is feast or famine so far this season. Today I couldn't hit anything from the tee and it cost me dearly. I think I lost five balls in total to hazards or out of bounds, and I carded a nine on the first par 5 after most likely visiting someone's yard with my tee shot (couldn't tell, ball was right, going right) and then getting a bad luck bounce on the cart path in front of the green out of bounds on my approach shot. 

Six pars and a birdie tells you how poorly the other 11 holes went. At least I putted really well! Something about these greens really suit me - I putted extremely well last time I played here, too. They're very quick but they roll true and I enjoy that a lot.

Sounds like my round off the tee last time out!  Something about the early season and wanting to crush them all is a bad mix for me.

6 1-putts with 3 lip-outs sounds like you are getting dangerous with the LAB putter man!  I also seem to do better on quicker greens.  Keep it up!  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

13 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

MIssing all over the place from the tee, or the same kind of right and more right miss over and over?

Missing both ways, unfortunately. I tend miss more to the left than the right. I wish I could just drop down to the Super Hybrid and solve the problem, but I was left going left most of the day with it.

Been working with my coach on it - I like to drop my rear shoulder to start the downswing which gets me coming way underneath and inside. If I hang back I go right (or drop kick it with irons/hybrids), if I get to my front side more I go left. Throw in some toe hooks when I don't do either of the above but don't rotate very well. Frustrating game!

Although, to be fair, I've never played this course from the back before and on a few holes I just flat out took the wrong line which put me in bad positions for my second shot. 

Score tends to go as my driver goes, although it seems like during rounds where my driver is good my putting is poor. Round and round it goes... 😂

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver