TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Well, the 2021 Birdie challenge is now down to one last hole.  I birdies #2 par 3 today, so #16 par 4 is the only one standing, and the year isn’t half over yet.  Today, I shot a 1 over front nine 36 and a 10 over back nine 46, for an 82.  I know it has to be a mental thing, I turned the corner to the back nine and just could not score. I am still proud of the front nine 36 though, best of the year, so far.

36 Good Shootin’👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

I was 7 over in the first 6 holes...and that included a birdie!  Yikes!  Managed to reign in an 84 despite the terrible start.  4 putted a par 3, poor short wedge shots...sigh.  On a positive note, I replaced my driver shaft with a softer shaft and hit a heck of a lot more fairways than I was prior to the change.

4 Putt😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

23 minutes ago, Rickp said:

4 Putt😱

Yes, and the first putt was from 8 feet below the hole, too!  On the next hole, I drain a 15 foot breaking putt for birdie.  Go figure!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Yes, and the first putt was from 8 feet below the hole, too!  On the next hole, I drain a 15 foot breaking putt for birdie.  Go figure!

Keep this quiet but I 5 putted once 😱

it was probably 20 years ago but still remember, 7th hole at Hunter GC in CT.

after that I worked on becoming a good putter👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I know it’s not this simple, but I’m a firm believer a player will never putt well until he convinces himself he’s already a good putter.

when I’m playing someone in a league or other type of comp and I hear them say they can’t putt, I know I should beat them, and usually do.

(Now if I can only convince myself I’m a good iron player, I’ll be all set, 🙄)

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

5 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I have been talking about in my ongoing thread about how a too strong left hand grip really makes it hard for me to play decent golf and that I need to play with a more neutral grip. So what did i do for the first 16 holes today, of course, play with too strong of a grip. Was hitting some terrible shots off the tee, some of the shots I couldn't figure out how it produced the result it did.

On 17, I decided to focus and use a neutral grip, and go on to stripe it off the tee, dead straight, longest drive I have ever hit on this hole. Its a par 5 and I was still 250 plus yards out, so I hit a 7 iron layup, off of a side hill in the fairway with my feet above the ball. Straight again, perfect layup. Had about 100 yards left, hit a gap wedge, slightly pulled it, but landed on the green. Two putt for par. 

On 18, again, neutral grip, striped again off the tee, dead center of the fairway. Hit my approach shot just short of the green. After that, my short game let me down a bit, buts its a really tricky green with a big slope. 

You are too young to forget your lesson that quickly!!  Me, however, I figure something out, but after a nights sleep I forget it and have to relearn it all over.

Before every swing... say to yourself "Neutral Grip".  You're welcome.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My wife and I played with the couple we usually play with on Sundays.  My wife played from the Forward Red tees, but the other lady played with her husband and I from the Blue tees.  Last week she shot 74 from the Red tees and her handicap dropped to a 5.  She usually outdrives me but she is also 22 years younger!!  She had one birdie but several bad holes cost her.

I birdied the first two holes.  Of course, I had to say: "I could break the course record theoretically." 😂  I was +6 over the next 7 holes for a 43. 🥴  On the par 5 #5 hole after a good drive, I forgot how to swing a club; made double with no penalties or bunkers.

The back nine was much better; one birdie and only 3 bogeys for a 37 and a round of 78.  The birdie came on hole #14, a short par 4 that is drivable for many players.   I don't normally try it but the tee box was up and the prevailing tailwind was maybe 15-20 mph.  Any shot short is in a huge bunker or if waaay right is wet.  I was in the sand.  My second shot was 15 feet to carry the sand and then about 35 feet to the pin that was on a lower shelf of the green.  The ball almost stopped where the green slopes down to the pin, but the wind helped it and I had a tap-in sandy birdie.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

My wife and I played with the couple we usually play with on Sundays.  My wife played from the Forward Red tees, but the other lady played with her husband and I from the Blue tees.  Last week she shot 74 from the Red tees and her handicap dropped to a 5.  She usually outdrives me but she is also 22 years younger!!  She had one birdie but several bad holes cost her.

I birdied the first two holes.  Of course, I had to say: "I could break the course record theoretically." 😂  I was +6 over the next 7 holes for a 43. 🥴  On the par 5 #5 hole after a good drive, I forgot how to swing a club; made double with no penalties or bunkers.

The back nine was much better; one birdie and only 3 bogeys for a 37 and a round of 78.  The birdie came on hole #14, a short par 4 that is drivable for many players.   I don't normally try it but the tee box was up and the prevailing tailwind was maybe 15-20 mph.  Any shot short is in a huge bunker or if waaay right is wet.  I was in the sand.  My second shot was 15 feet to carry the sand and then about 35 feet to the pin that was on a lower shelf of the green.  The ball almost stopped where the green slopes down to the pin, but the wind helped it and I had a tap-in sandy birdie.

I love sandy birds!!

Unfortunately I don’t see many of them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Got 9 in tonight was the las man on the course .. shot the best 9 of my life shot 41 on the front 9 par 35 .. my 58 degree wedge must of been inspired by mickleson’s win bc the club was on fire ! Almost chipped in for 2 birdies and an eagle missed by inches ! 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

25 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

Got 9 in tonight was the las man on the course .. shot the best 9 of my life shot 41 on the front 9 par 35 .. my 58 degree wedge must of been inspired by mickleson’s win bc the club was on fire ! Almost chipped in for 2 birdies and an eagle missed by inches ! 

I love playing late afternoon 9s this time of year, I usually played some of my best golf when I’m out by myself and take my time a really work though my shots.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

I am a good putter.  I just didn't putt well on that hole that time.  It serves to remind me that I need to treat every putt with focus.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

8 hours ago, TBT said:

I love playing late afternoon 9s this time of year, I usually played some of my best golf when I’m out by myself and take my time a really work though my shots.

Yeah there was no rush it was nice .. I didn’t over think and was just playing by feel .. like  ok 30 yards grab a wedge and just took the swing that I thought was right and bam a pretty good shot happen

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Had one of those "coulda shoulda" rounds yesterday....

Playing white tees with the usual crowd.  I've got the newly reshafted Mizunos in the bag, and all clubs but putter have GripMaster Roo grips.  Reshafted 3w, as well (good choice, as it happens).

Start the round with two low stress pars.  Hit PW on #3 to 10 feet, make the putt.  Ironically this is one of the holes I didn't birdie last year, a 120 yd par 3.  Go figure.  #4, par 5 into the wind, fan the six foot birdie putt.

Turns out, it was a sign, and not in a good way.  For the next five holes, I developed a Roberto Duran level of feel (for the younguns, he was known as having the Hands of Stone), no short game and three separate three putts.  I go from one under through 4 to a +5 front nine.  Cue the bad words.

Back nine, I start by chipping in for birdie.  Suddenly, my feel mostly returns, and while I don't make any more birds, I wind up shooting +2 on the back for a 77 (par 35 back side).

Of course, my first thought was the "what if" regarding holes 5 thru 9.   LOL

Golf.  A four letter word that was used because the others were already taken...

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Played at Bent Tree, Sunbury OH with @MaxEntropy, his mate Mike, @Mr_Theoo and @Severtheties. I'll just say that it's a round for me best forgotten. Know idea what happened except for the swing change demon took full effect.

There wasn't a whole lot of pretty golf yesterday, but it was still a great time! Not sure what was up with my swing, but I blame my tweaked knee (we all have excuses, right?). Still tender and I just hope I am not engraining bad habits since I have been playing some decent golf over the last couple weeks. I ended up with 2 birdies, 4 pars, and 4 bogies. That means 8 holes were double, or worse (I managed to mix a quad in there).

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Played a practice round with irons only.

I enjoy hitting different irons and different yardages into greens. Doesnt affect scoring too much either to be honest just sharpens up the longer irons and encourages more shot shaping.

Played well just over handicap but smiled most of the day. Putter even performed.

"C'mon be good"

Played my 9 hole Saturday morning around without anyone. First off the tee in the morning -- but got maybe 5 hours of sleep when I needed 10 because of the weekday. Ended up carding a 45 despite feeling completely undepowered. Managed to get the second birdie of the year on 8 but took an awful bogey on 9.

My game has completely turned around now that I have confidence in my putter. Even my chipping and pitching is serviceable after a year in the wilderness. If it gets any better, I may be back to 4-5 years ago when I was playing about as well as I ever have.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

5 hours ago, MattF said:

Played at Bent Tree, Sunbury OH with @MaxEntropy, his mate Mike, @Mr_Theoo and @Severtheties. I'll just say that it's a round for me best forgotten. No idea what happened except for the swing change demon took full effect.

Pretty normal for playing right after a lesson. I've got a lesson with Randy on the 3rd. I expect my game to get worse for a couple of weeks after. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

14 hours ago, CarlH said:

I am a good putter.  I just didn't putt well on that hole that time.  It serves to remind me that I need to treat every putt with focus.

I became a really decent putter after that.  I was just a few years into playing (started around 50 years old) and worked on short game.  It paid off and keeps me playing still in mid 70’s.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 5/22/2021 at 8:53 PM, Kanoito said:

Just played my 1st tournament of the year.

It was brutal, steady 20mph winds and gusts up to 35mph. And it never stopped raining, damn, even with rain gear, I ended up with wet socks and underwear.

On several holes, you had to decide between holding on to your umbrella or to your clubs, but not both.

There was a hole where my driver went about 100 yards into the wind lol

Ended up shooting 100... honestly not bad for the weather conditions.

So this is my scorecard from Saturday under brutal conditions:

image.png.8f98b509ad784123ad25e26432b1ac3a.png

And this is the scorecard from today, same course combination A+B from the same set of tees. It was slightly windy, but sunny. Last hole: idiot me pulled my 3rd shot into the drink, dropped and chunked it and back into the water lol

image.png.4b0d9671da094adae2613dd997592c87.png

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Hottest day and worst round of the year yesterday. I was all over the place. Was trying out a new driver shaft and I abandoned it after 9. I keep hitting the ball on the toe and I need some range work (all I’ve been doing is playing mostly and putting at home). 

Also played a new course and it was a hike. Lots about the day was just weird. 

The mental side of my game was just nonexistent as well... But it was still a lot of fun. I was playing golf!! 😁

5984998C-58BF-4214-A798-3C95AB4DAF7D.jpeg

:titleist-small: TS3 9° Driver with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:titelist-small: TSi3 15° Fairway with HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5

:srixon-small: ZX 2 iron

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54°, 60° Full Face

:taylormade-small: Spider SR Single Bend

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:ping-small: Hoofer

:918457628_PrecisionPro:R1 Rangefinder

Monday morning Exec 9.  Greens were recently punched so putting was an adventure and led to 6 over and lost a ball.  Well maybe not lost I didn’t look for it as it wasn’t far from a Gator nest and my Momma didn’t raise me to go digging thru something that might kill my Ole arse.

It was my turn to have the SLOWEST, WORST player in Fl in our 4some.  Man it was brutal.  At one point he tried to play my ball after he hit his 2nd shot in the water.  He “forgot” that he was playing a white “MG” ball and mine was a yellow ProV1x.  He also drove thru a marked off “ground under repair” area, beautiful. 

Rick

Left Hand,