TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Incremental improvement is moving in the right direction, and that is awesome! 

Thx! And back at ya .. keep working thru those ups & downs ....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Played on Saturday and shot another 91. 🙄

I’ve been talking about how bad I’ve been playing for a while no, and I feel like a broken record. The game isn’t fun when you’re struggling, and neither is talking about it.

I love this place. You guys are all so supportive, and I feel like I have a group of “golf buddy’s” that I’ve never even met, if that makes sense.

Here’s the thing though. I’m going to take a break from posting here. It’s not because I don’t enjoy it, I do. I’ll continue to lurk, and root for “my boys” to get where they want to be in this crazy game. I’ll be back, I just don’t have it in me right now to keep talking about yesterday’s round of bogey golf, and how frustrated I was/am by it.

I’m at the point right now where I either walk away from the game, or dive in head first and work my ass off to get back on track, and I’m going to work, not quit.

I’ll be playing at least 3 or 4 times a week, putting in practice time and keeping up with an instructor until at least the end of the summer. After that, I’ll reassess where I am. If things are getting better, great. If they aren’t, I’ll walk away from the game knowing I gave it my best shot. I can’t take playing like this, or getting any worse than I am playing now. I keep saying it, but it’s just not fun.

So enjoy your summer, and play well. I’m rooting for each and every one of you to shoot your personal bests out there. Hopefully, when I get back to you it’s with happy news about my having righted this sinking ship! 😂 

Time for you to “recharge”, we all go thru this occasionally.  I’m sure in a short time you’ll get it back together again.   

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

A nice “NO HUMIDITY” FL morning!  Greens were beautiful, a bit slow but no bumps.  There’s a weather front moving in so it is very windy.

Shot +4, short game was pretty lousy.

Rick

Left Hand, 

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I’ve been talking about how bad I’ve been playing for a while no, and I feel like a broken record. The game isn’t fun when you’re struggling, and neither is talking about it.

I love this place. You guys are all so supportive, and I feel like I have a group of “golf buddy’s” that I’ve never even met, if that makes sense.

Here’s the thing though. I’m going to take a break from posting here. It’s not because I don’t enjoy it, I do. I’ll continue to lurk, and root for “my boys” to get where they want to be in this crazy game. I’ll be back, I just don’t have it in me right now to keep talking about yesterday’s round of bogey golf, and how frustrated I was/am by it.

I’m at the point right now where I either walk away from the game, or dive in head first and work my ass off to get back on track, and I’m going to work, not quit.

I’ll be playing at least 3 or 4 times a week, putting in practice time and keeping up with an instructor until at least the end of the summer. After that, I’ll reassess where I am. If things are getting better, great. If they aren’t, I’ll walk away from the game knowing I gave it my best shot. I can’t take playing like this, or getting any worse than I am playing now. I keep saying it, but it’s just not fun.

So enjoy your summer, and play well. I’m rooting for each and every one of you to shoot your personal bests out there. Hopefully, when I get back to you it’s with happy news about my having righted this sinking ship! 😂 

Sad to hear.  I know your feeling though.  I've had more than my share of bad rounds mixed in with a few stellar performances.  It is frustrating because I know that I can do better.  I've just done it!!

I also know from your posts that you are good player, but it sounds like you are just getting out of position.  When we are struggling, we tend to try something to fix it, and that can make us worse.  I know you liked your instructor, and were doing pretty well.  However, maybe you should seek a different coach; different eyes, a different point of view.  

Personally, I don't think I could keep playing 3-4 times a week unless I was just out on the course practicing my current lesson.  If I were playing with buds and just having fun, I would revert back to my old habits and would have to start over with the lesson afterwards.  

I certainly hope that you can work things out, and I hope to see you back here soon.  I understand, and we will miss you.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Played the best first 7 holes of my life then had a complete collapse to my worst round of the year. 50/63. Ugh. It’s like I forgot how to golf. Lost ten balls today mostly off driver or bladed wedges. Was blading wedges (actually just my 58*) which killed my approach  SG. Forgot how to hit a driver even though Arccos said my driving improved compared to my average.  Played from several other fairways than my own. Good thing I was striking my irons great (Arccos doesn’t fully agree), I just was too long on every hole because I played the distance to the back of the green based on Arccos averages which normalize to my poor strokes. As well some of my topped drives left me in really long positions. 

Thinking of ending my driver testing and now playing to score instead off the tee. 

66C5B5B2-4BD7-409A-83D4-10CA85EFC41D.jpeg

547FEFD0-F321-419D-B87B-908DD430126A.jpeg

58B63FCD-ADFB-48BE-8FC0-C03DDA8EBDEC.png

CDE7CD35-ACDD-43D2-9D35-086679C8B087.png

You are a lot better than that Randy!  Get that fixed, or I'm coming down there and kick you around the course!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

If they aren’t, I’ll walk away from the game knowing I gave it my best shot.

Sorry to hear 'cuz it does seem that you truly enjoy the game .. and enjoy being out on a golf course! Hope you find your way to whatever is best for you...................

For me .. I picked up the game way too late in life to really become "good" at it, but .. otoh .. I do enjoy being being outside on a golf course and look at it as, if I may borrow the words of the very inestimable Gary Player 😉 , as "A Game For Life" ...
(..well at least for as long as I can stand on two feet, or whatever I have left, and still swing a club .. or at least a putter ...)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

You are a lot better than that Randy!  Get that fixed, or I'm coming down there and kick you around the course!  😂

Randy, you know, I think he's just ornery enough to do it 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

My Tuesday 9 holes. I'm still all over the place off the tee but not as bad as last week. My 3 wood off the deck has been really solid only one mishit out of the 4 times I pulled out so pleased with that. My putting was pretty good and is the best part of my game right now. One 3 putt, one 4 putt though 😖, one 1 putt which was about 25 feet, oh and one 0 putt. a chip in from off the green from 30 feet. Hitting my full wedges pretty solid. I love my Callaway Mack Daddy CB. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

18 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I'm glad to hear the determination in your post to get better, and I'm rooting for you. I get your frustration, I am dealing with it, too. This game is hard and can really do a number on you when it's not going well. I hope to see you posting again before long and hearing about the steps you've taken to improve. 

I was bogey-free until the 8th hole tonight. Nevermind that is was 3 pars and 4 doubles. Bogies on the last 2 for a lovely +10. I was actually hitting the ball solid and nothing really sucked but I had a couple really awful breaks (see below). I try not to remind myself that I got a couple good breaks, too.

Screenshot_20210622-203137.jpg.f2e9305347f928f7e0b00689b78d0c1b.jpg

Number 14 - fairly straightforward par 5. I had a good tee shot. I was left with about 195 to the front. I started to pull my 4H and choke down a bit, but a decent tail wind kicked up, so I grabbed 6i. I thought I'd be short or perhaps just bounce up towards the green since the second shot is blind and the landing area is downhill. I hit a really solid 6, but pulled it a bit. Thought I'd be in the bunker on the left. The ball was in the woods long. I didn't see the bounce, but certainly not representative of the amount of rain we've had recently. Compound it with a 3-putt, and.... yeah.

Oh well, playing Thursday morning with @DiscipleofPenick, so we'll get 'em next time.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

10 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Oh well, playing Thursday morning with @DiscipleofPenick, so we'll get 'em next time.

So am I, 8.08 at Windmill...if I'd have known.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Played 9 holes yesterday and approach play was near the best it's been in a very long time.  Unfortunately, my ability to get the ball in the hole, was below average.  

Two shots really cost me off the tee and let to double bogeys.  

I was on one par 5 in two with 15 feet for eagle (birdie)  and another was just off the back in two shots (par 🙄) Putting left some to be desired as well.

Looking back I had 4 opportunities within 15 feet for birdie and 1 eagle opportunity at 15 feet and only made 1 birdie.  1/5 is just not going to cut it.  Ok rant over.

3/7 fairways

7/9 greens

18 putts (all 2 putts)

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Got one of my buddies to finally come out to play, it’s been 7 months for him!!! He shot pretty darned good for that long of a layoff. It prompted me to make a tee time at another track where our old 4-some used to play, and gunna force them old boys out of their crib, and back onto the grass!

that’s right, we’re getting the band together again…

ps, I shot pretty good, and Evn kept up his good work with 31 putts, many were dead on line and stopped a few inches short due to the dew on the grass, 3 putts would have definitely gone in without the dew, which would have made a good round, a really good round…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 6/21/2021 at 9:57 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I was recently there, after a big slowdown for other activities. I went from a 2.3 to a 8.6 in like 4 months. 
So I started playing more lately, went back to basics, and in the last few weeks have put down a few low rounds. 
even if you lay off for a year, that’s cool. Don’t make it a life or death test, as it seems, for me anyways, that when I let go of worrying about it, I started shooting better. And I didn’t get as twisted about poorly hit shots. It will all work out mate…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Today really pointed out some issues that I need to work on.  I had 2 shanks, one from 60 yards and one from 93, both the primary cause of double bogeys.  Another double from a flubbed chip and a 3 putt.  Otherwise, my ball striking was pretty solid through 16 holes.  An errant tee shot on 17 led to another double and a poor drive on 18 kept me from reaching the green in regulation.  I didn't have an awful day putting, but it certainly wasn't up to my usual performance for whatever reason....Carded an 84.

So, for the most part, my work with a coach has me hitting the ball better (save the errant shots here and there), but it's time to turn our attention to shorter shots (although, much of my issues here is confidence and nerves...when I practice short chips/pitches, I do fairly well, but on course, it's another matter completely)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Played this morning Cart Path only but humidity wasn’t bad. Fareways were a little sloppy so no roll at all.

Anyway +2 going into 8 which is an easy Par 5, well sometimes easy……managed to double it with a “Hosel Rocket” 😱  Ended up with a +5, 41 as I managed to drown Tee shot on 9th on the Island Green but ecked out a bogie.  
still a fun morning!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

9 hours ago, Rickp said:

Played this morning Cart Path only but humidity wasn’t bad. Fareways were a little sloppy so no roll at all.

Anyway +2 going into 8 which is an easy Par 5, well sometimes easy……managed to double it with a “Hosel Rocket” 😱  Ended up with a +5, 41 as I managed to drown Tee shot on 9th on the Island Green but ecked out a bogie.  
still a fun morning!!

Gonna be that way for a couple months as we arrive at the wet part of the year……

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

2 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Got out this morning with @DiscipleofPenick to play a new-to-me course. Weather was perfect - a little chilly to start and mid-70's by the time we finished. Didn't play too bad, but not too well, either. Driver was about most well-behaved aspect, but couldn't capitalize as approach game was worse than normal. Ended up 47/44 for a +19. I must have rubbed off on Tom too much. He started very well, but limped in on the back 9 - I'll let him tell you about it, though.

Time for lunch, a nap, then go sub in a league for 9 more this afternoon.

@MaxEntropy is right I shot 39/44. I hit a few wild ones on the front but recovered each time. Everything after the 11th was an issue as maybe fatigue from my allergies/sinus/cold set in. I was coughing a ton, he asked if I was gonna die. I couldn't keep focus and seemed to screw up a shot on every hole. Worst was the OB drive on 16 and a bunch of 3 putts. Hit 3 good shots to finish though. 37 putts (30 avg) and several bad tee shots were the culprit. Still was a beautiful day for golf and a good time with another spy.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

Played my additional 9 tonight, subbing in another league. I thought I'd played the course 20-ish years ago, but apparently I hadn't. 

Tee ball continued to be pretty good and irons were much improved over this morning, but chipping and putting SUUUUCKED. The greens had quite a bit of contour to them, but I was struggling with the reads and missed quite a few shortish putts. Started with a triple, thanks to OB and a chunked punch shot on the next 🤦‍♂️. Ended up with a +7 42.

Reminds me of a time I had to sub for my dad.  His partner was a “nice guy” and was hauling in the cart with my dad the week prior, smoked a pine tree branch and my dad got a pine needle stuck in his eye…

Anyways, the guy never shut up… I shot like a 70 on 9 holes because he wouldn’t leave me alone.. I was about 16-17… now, I can show him a thing or two… because I’ve watched a Rickie Fowler commercial or two. 😏 cue the Farmers tune here.

Also, this really has no relation to your post, but the giant SUUUUCKED brought back that memory.