Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

2 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Sh$&&@ day today, shooting 43/48:91 with two penalties….just couldn’t get in the groove.  Had two big swingers with us today. They knock it a country mile but then you spend time looking for it……no short game at all. Guess it kinda threw me off my game.

CFD7BD08-4356-4314-A60C-66BAB0D0CF9F.jpeg

Now there’s a cutie!!  Water level still looks a bit low.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... It's always interesting picking out which negative if we can choose where to live or retire. Midwest has insane storms and tornados and just brutal winters. Far west has earthquakes, drought, wildfires and poor air quality. South has oppressively high humidity and torrential rain. Here in AZ there has been a catastrophic drought and wildfires are completely out of control. ONE day of rain since December and none in sight for Phoenix in the near future. With temps at 115+ I would love several days of all day rain, something I never said in Illinois. There may be some rain north of the city for several days which would really help with the wildfires, so fingers crossed. 

I guess I'll just stay in East Tennessee. No extreams here. Still have four seasons but nothing bad enough to complain about.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

20 hours ago, CarlH said:

Our Sr. scrambles are once every month or so during the season.  It isn't that competitive and you only win points that go to  pro shop credit at the end of the year.  It's more of a social event, with coffee and donuts before the shotgun start and generally non-hosted lunch afterwards.  At the end of the season we have a banquet.  My only issue with playing different tees is that they dropped the standard for which tees to play.  Play whichever ones you want to play is the concept.  One guy who is much longer than me always played the more forward tees because they allow it.  You lose a couple of strokes, but his thought process is to win KP on the par 3s....I play my regular tees, because I see no reason to move forward.  I tend to use the scramble more as a practice exercise.  You don't win that much, so it's not a big issue for me.   Our senior group has a lot of guys over 80 playing, most in their 70s, with a few still in their 60s, and even less in their 50s.  I play because it gives me a chance to play with some members that I typically don't play with otherwise....well, that and the donuts.

The scrambles here are every Wednesday... $5 and pay the entire pot out to the top 3 teams.  The "rules" state that you play the tees that you usually play from.  It's a senior scramble age 60 and older, but at 74 I am one of the oldest.  Teams are picked at random with the low handicappers being captains.  Not sure what the formula is for assigning team handicap.  Since I normally play Blues, I can't compete with the guys off that tee.  I feel that I drag down any team I'm assigned to, so it's not that fun for me.  If I normally played from the Whites, it might be different.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played a terrible round on Saturday, never got into any real groove, the back 9 my back started to act up and was favoring not turning to much on that side, so it was all hands. You could tell as shots where just weak off the the right, not completing the swing.

Hoping a few better before tomorrow tournament and see if I can play without my back having issues. 

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50 (Terra Forza White Shaft Testing)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

17 hours ago, fozcycle said:

shooting 43/48:91

Got me by 1. I had the back 9 blow out as well with a 43/49:92. We pretty much cruised around the front, then ran into a group that I've been stuck behind before. We waited 10 minutes before we could tee off on 10 and that killed me.

But I hit some good drives.

1210397851_windmill06-27.gif.52aa70f9c5595fcb1bfa7819c9315431.gif

1382195097_windmill06-272.gif.100b17603ec112a8256ee58abcdf6e99.gif

windmill 06-27 3.gif

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

16 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The scrambles here are every Wednesday... $5 and pay the entire pot out to the top 3 teams.  The "rules" state that you play the tees that you usually play from.  It's a senior scramble age 60 and older, but at 74 I am one of the oldest.  Teams are picked at random with the low handicappers being captains.  Not sure what the formula is for assigning team handicap.  Since I normally play Blues, I can't compete with the guys off that tee.  I feel that I drag down any team I'm assigned to, so it's not that fun for me.  If I normally played from the Whites, it might be different.

Based on your comments, my first thought was "why do you ever play from the blue tees?"  The idea is to play golf from the set of tees which will allow you to enjoy yourself and allow you to reach the green in regulation (at least a majority of the time) when you hit well-struck shots.

At age 72, I have moved up to the White tees, or a mix of white and gold tees when available and when the course plays at 6,250 yards or more from all white tees.  I did this a couple of years ago when my average driver distance dropped below 240 yards and my average 7-iron distance dropped to about 140 yards.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Monday morning 9.  Little humid, not awful but was getting hot quick.  Breeze didn’t pick up until we were on 7th hole. 
Driver was not great but irons we really good, greens were a bit slow but flat & true.  No birdies, was skimming edges for kick in pars +4.   

Rick

Left Hand, 

9 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Went out to play 18 yesterday in coudless, but humid weather. By the third hole the clouds appeared, by the fourth hole it's starting to rain. Wife and I decided to head back to the condo - no sooner than we started, the torrential downpour came. Rained all day! so much for weekend golf.  

Or weekday golf - same hot - 90's+ humid weather interspersed with downpours. Almost feels like Florida August weather. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

10 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

I’m down at the beach with family at Seaside, FL. Got to play Windswept Dunes Golf Club yesterday morning. I really enjoyed the course. A lot of tee options and large greens with many tiers. Golf course was in great shape. The course let the natural area grow up all around the course which allowed for great scenery. 

I shot a 76 - 40/36. Drove the ball great and hit 14/18 greens which is a personal best for me. While the greens were large, I had to try and find the right tier. I ended up 3 putting on 3 of the holes. A storm came through on the last 3 holes making gripping the clubs challenging, but held on to go +1 in those holes. My golf game is starting to round into form as I’ve broken 80 in 3 of my last 8 rounds and going back to back in the 70s.

Now back to the beach.

You like back 9’s at the beach apparently. Great round. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

Walked 9 this afternoon at the Graveyard course at Bent Brook in Birmingham. Was going to just hit range balls but decided to walk 9 instead, so zero warmup. Shot 41. Had 1 birdie on 7 which is a shorter par 5, was able to take advantage of a monster drive. Still had an issue hitting a few iron shots thin for some reason, as I did the round before. No blowup holes though which is a plus. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

7 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Based on your comments, my first thought was "why do you ever play from the blue tees?"  The idea is to play golf from the set of tees which will allow you to enjoy yourself and allow you to reach the green in regulation (at least a majority of the time) when you hit well-struck shots.

At age 72, I have moved up to the White tees, or a mix of white and gold tees when available and when the course plays at 6,250 yards or more from all white tees.  I did this a couple of years ago when my average driver distance dropped below 240 yards and my average 7-iron distance dropped to about 140 yards.

I understand and I do play from the White tees occasionally.  The Whites are our senior tees at 5400y.  Our Blues are 6100y.  However, 700y difference is not evenly spaced out throughout the course.  It's a course designer issue IMO.  As an example... our par 5 #5 holes plays 550y from the Blues and 540y from the Whites.  Into the typical prevailing 15-20mph headwind, it doesn't matter which tee I use!  Much of the yardage is made up on par 3's, which isn't considered for the scramble as one of the 3 required tee shots for each person.  

Moving up 700 yards does not mean I shoot lower scores.  In fact, I typically shoot the same scores which means my index would go up a couple of points playing from the Whites.  Most of the guys I normally play with play from the Blues, so I that's where I play.  I actually enjoy playing from the Blues, and to do so requires I keep a sharp short game!!

My issue with playing in the senior scramble is that most of the seniors playing from the Blue tees hit 240-250 yards (most are in their 60's).  I'm lucky to get 210y.  On short holes they are much closer to the green; on long holes they have a mid or short iron into the green or can reach par 5's in two shots.  Using 3 of my tee shots only hurts the team, which is why I don't play in the scrambles anymore.

The guys from the scramble league have very similar handicaps as I do.  If we played head to head, I could beat any of them from the Blues on a good day.  Because I play from the Blues, I am not allowed to play from the Whites in the scramble; it would make the par 3's easier for me!!

Of course, 5400y is typical for the Forward or Red tees at many courses and my wife plays from there occasionally.  When we play together (which is most of the time), I don't consider it fair for me to play from the same tees since she is much shorter off the tee and is an 18 handicap.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I understand and I do play from the White tees occasionally.  The Whites are our senior tees at 5400y.  Our Blues are 6100y. 

That makes more sense. Here I am thinking your playing from the tips. Blue is my courses tips at 6700, then, white at 6300, and gold 5700 senior tees, then red at 5000 womens. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

30 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That makes more sense. Here I am thinking your playing from the tips. Blue is my courses tips at 6700, then, white at 6300, and gold 5700 senior tees, then red at 5000 womens. 

Most people think that when they come to our course.  White tees at every other full size course in town is 6100-6300 yards.  Many people that come here for the first time automatically head to the Whites  😂  Probably where many should be playing from anyway.   Our Black tees or tips play 6700y.  I wish they would make combo tees both Blue/White and Black/Blue.  There are about 4-5 holes where I'm only playing the Blues that are maybe 5-10 yards from the Black tees.  Other holes there is 40-50 yards difference.

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Played on of my favorite courses today and after several rounds of mediocre play, I finally shot under par. 6 birdies and 3 bogies in 111* heat. I knew it was gonna be my day on the first hole when I had 175 to the pin with some wind into me, I hit a 5 iron almost over the green. The back of this green has about an 8 foot rise and my ball almost stopped on top and then rolled back down 35 feet to about 6 inches. Yea, I meant to do that  🙄

... Then on #11 a 175yd par 3 with the pin tucked on the right side with a deep bunker on that side I tried to hit a cut 5 iron to the left side and move it back to the pin but I came up/out of the shot and hit it very thin, carrying maybe 100yds then running and rolling up on the green, taking the slope and leaving me about 1' for birdie. For fun I hit a 2nd shot as good as I can hit it starting middle of the green and fading back right at the pin hitting just to the right and then trickling off into the bunker for what would have been an impossible up and down. Ain't that golf? Hitting a really sh!tty shot and have a tap in birdie, then hit an almost perfect shot that missed my target by inches and would have resulted in a bogie at least. 

... CamelBack Resort Ambiente is a links style course that goes away from the club house for 9 holes then turns and comes back for 9 holes just like a seaside course. It has that natural rustic look I really love with native grass and plants and runs $175-225 in the winter but in the summer heat it is silly cheap and I played it for $29 today. (3rd photo upside down ... again) 

581648115_CBAmbienteBunker.jpg.6608f0a9c9094ff7cfe31086910aea7f.jpg

312121575_CBAmbiente2.jpg.c769f94a4571c4fcf486f0f53a86c00e.jpg

Nice round!  

I played Ambiente the year after it was added to the Camelback Resort.  It wasn't that great then.  Probably a lot better now that it's matured.  Padre got all the play.  Yes, it was cheap in July 25 years ago too!!

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Nice round!  

I played Ambiente the year after it was added to the Camelback Resort.  It wasn't that great then.  Probably a lot better now that it's matured.  Padre got all the play.  Yes, it was cheap in July 25 years ago too!!

... I have heard that from several that played Ambiente when it first opened and yea they say it is quite different now. I am not a big fan of Padre. OK course and no real complaints but no real compliments ether. Just kinda meh plus it is a 45 minute drive and there are so many more courses closer I would rather play. But for me, Ambiente is well worth the drive. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

13 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I understand and I do play from the White tees occasionally.  The Whites are our senior tees at 5400y.  Our Blues are 6100y.  However, 700y difference is not evenly spaced out throughout the course.  It's a course designer issue IMO.  As an example... our par 5 #5 holes plays 550y from the Blues and 540y from the Whites.  Into the typical prevailing 15-20mph headwind, it doesn't matter which tee I use!  Much of the yardage is made up on par 3's, which isn't considered for the scramble as one of the 3 required tee shots for each person.  

Moving up 700 yards does not mean I shoot lower scores.  In fact, I typically shoot the same scores which means my index would go up a couple of points playing from the Whites.  Most of the guys I normally play with play from the Blues, so I that's where I play.  I actually enjoy playing from the Blues, and to do so requires I keep a sharp short game!!

My issue with playing in the senior scramble is that most of the seniors playing from the Blue tees hit 240-250 yards (most are in their 60's).  I'm lucky to get 210y.  On short holes they are much closer to the green; on long holes they have a mid or short iron into the green or can reach par 5's in two shots.  Using 3 of my tee shots only hurts the team, which is why I don't play in the scrambles anymore.

The guys from the scramble league have very similar handicaps as I do.  If we played head to head, I could beat any of them from the Blues on a good day.  Because I play from the Blues, I am not allowed to play from the Whites in the scramble; it would make the par 3's easier for me!!

Of course, 5400y is typical for the Forward or Red tees at many courses and my wife plays from there occasionally.  When we play together (which is most of the time), I don't consider it fair for me to play from the same tees since she is much shorter off the tee and is an 18 handicap.

I understand your dilemma completely, going thru same situation.

Recently moved to the Senior Tees on 18 hole courses, approximately 5,500 yards and moved to middle Tees on Execs.  I’m much happier playing I guess where I belong.  Although the 60 year olds are also playing same tees and it definitely is an advantage for them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Walked a local par 3 course today.  My buddy wanted to work on his short game so I tagged along.

We ended up playing two balls off the tee for more practice and taking the better score of the two.  With that in mind, i shot a 2 under 25.  Played really pretty well regardless of the extra ball.  Likely would have been close to even with my own ball.  

3 birdies and one bogey due to a diabolical pin position on the back side slope of a green.  Also, have went back full time to my trusty Scotty Pro Platinum after a couple rounds.  I just give myself more chances at making birdies when it's in the bag.

Unsure if I should change out my stability shaft and put it in the Scotty?

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"