TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Was close, but couldn't get there (break 90). Shot a 43 on the front 9 which is by far my best ever 9 hole score. Back 9 was going fine until the last couple holes, really two bad holes. One hole i tried to get cute and put from the rough, that didn't work out well. And on 18, i had an 8 because i put pressure on myself and couldn't hit a hybrid off the tee under pressure. Because of the dogleg of the hole, hitting a driver would most likely have been too much. So i hit a hybrid and top it into a hazard. Should have hit driver and lived with hitting it through the fairway. 

Overall score was 93, which is my best round ever. 

Congratulations on the milestones! With all the work you've been putting in, it's well deserved. 

2 hours ago, juspoole said:

Literally on the edge of my seat.  Don't keep people waiting like George R R Martin.

Don't even get me started on him. 🤣 I've been waiting since 2011 and at this point, don't know if I'm going to finish it. Him and Patrick Rothfuss have really tried my patience. 

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

With all the work you’ve put in you’ll get there! Nice round!

8 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Congratulations on the milestones! With all the work you've been putting in, it's well deserved. 

The interesting thing is that the most drastic improvement I have seen in my scores and overall play has been in the last month since I started in-person lessons. It was really the grip fix that has helped immensely followed by a small change in driver setup. 

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

congrats on the personal best 9 and personal best 18.   not putting pressure on yourself when you see as score is really hard.   the excitement of potentially breaking a scoring barrier can really impact how you play.  

Thanks. I need to figure out how not to put pressure on myself, but you are right, it is hard. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1 minute ago, dlow206 said:

The interesting thing is that the most drastic improvement I have seen in my scores and overall play has been in the last month since I started in-person lessons. It was really the grip fix that has helped immensely followed by a small change in driver setup. 

It's hard to beat in-person lessons.  Video lessons work, but the coach only has that one look.  Sure he can pick out the flaws easily enough, but he can't give you instant feedback and check to see how you're executing the change.  Keep up the good work!!!!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

It's hard to beat in-person lessons.  Video lessons work, but the coach only has that one look.  Sure he can pick out the flaws easily enough, but he can't give you instant feedback and check to see how you're executing the change.  Keep up the good work!!!!

Thank you. It took me a while to find a really good in-person instructor. It to get my grip right, he physically moves my hands when it is slightly off, which is something that can only happen in an in-person lesson. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

50 minutes ago, chisag said:

... OK, I went the opposite route today and was aggressive on every shot. No safe tee shots and fired at every flag. Shot an 83. Felt pretty reckless as I don't normally play this way. Just looking at a pin tucked over a bunker from 176 caused me to tense a little with my swing. Slight pull and in the bunker for an impossible up and down bogie. Miss that same amount aiming 15 feet right of that flag and I am putting for a birdie. Lots of misses that cost me. Normal lay up with a 4 iron but challenged the water at the dogleg with driver and didn't make it. Normal 5 iron short of the bunkers but driver put me into them. 

... I will admit I was uncomfortable with quite a few shots which left a negative thought near my consciousness and I am just not used to playing recklessly. What I found particularly interesting is my swing felt great when hitting safe shots but it didn't take long to get a little out of sync attempting shots I normally would never attempt proving once again, this game is as much or more mental than physical. Hitting a 7 iron 165 to the middle of the green resulted in a free swing where firing at a sucker pin from 165 produced some tighter non free flowing swings. Same distance and same conditions with the only difference being the target. 

enjoyed reading your tale of two approaches.   Proves out that you really can't/shouldn't force the ball into every pin position.  Middle of the green on every approach is probably a bit too conservative, but if you structure your approaches based on distance,  you can give yourself some good looks and generally avoid getting into too much trouble.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

enjoyed reading your tale of two approaches.   Proves out that you really can't/shouldn't force the ball into every pin position.  Middle of the green on every approach is probably a bit too conservative, but if you structure your approaches based on distance,  you can give yourself some good looks and generally avoid getting into too much trouble.   

... Well said! I play with so many mid and high index players that just aim at every flag and take driver off every tee, and then wonder why they can't seem to avoid blow up holes. 🤪 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Was close, but couldn't get there (break 90). Shot a 43 on the front 9 which is by far my best ever 9 hole score. Back 9 was going fine until the last couple holes, really two bad holes. One hole i tried to get cute and put from the rough, that didn't work out well. And on 18, i had an 8 because i put pressure on myself and couldn't hit a hybrid off the tee under pressure. Because of the dogleg of the hole, hitting a driver would most likely have been too much. So i hit a hybrid and top it into a hazard. Should have hit driver and lived with hitting it through the fairway. 

Overall score was 93, which is my best round ever. 

Now that you've done it, it will be easier next time.  Congratulations!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, chisag said:

... Well said! I play with so many mid and high index players that just aim at every flag and take driver off every tee, and then wonder why they can't seem to avoid blow up holes. 🤪 

I know it may look like I aim at every flag, but really I'm just trying to get on the green... anywhere on the green!  Don't hit many, which is why I practice my short game a lot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, CarlH said:

Things clicked today.  Had a double on #5 when I executed a sand shot that just barely got out then left a delicate chip short of the green and missed the putt from the fringe.  Otherwise, I played well ....well, except for the shank from the middle of the fairway on #17.  38/36 for a 2 over 74.

Scan.jpeg

Great round Carl!!  Nice.

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... OK, I went the opposite route today and was aggressive on every shot. No safe tee shots and fired at every flag. Shot an 83. Felt pretty reckless as I don't normally play this way. Just looking at a pin tucked over a bunker from 176 caused me to tense a little with my swing. Slight pull and in the bunker for an impossible up and down bogie. Miss that same amount aiming 15 feet right of that flag and I am putting for a birdie. Lots of misses that cost me. Normal lay up with a 4 iron but challenged the water at the dogleg with driver and didn't make it. Normal 5 iron short of the bunkers but driver put me into them. 

... I will admit I was uncomfortable with quite a few shots which left a negative thought near my consciousness and I am just not used to playing recklessly. What I found particularly interesting is my swing felt great when hitting safe shots but it didn't take long to get a little out of sync attempting shots I normally would never attempt proving once again, this game is as much or more mental than physical. Hitting a 7 iron 165 to the middle of the green resulted in a free swing where firing at a sucker pin from 165 produced some tighter non free flowing swings. Same distance and same conditions with the only difference being the target. 

Think of it at a differential practice round. Agreed with @cnosil the different approaches and the feel you have for them. I believe when we try to be too aggressive, we try to give a swing a little more and that is where the trouble comes in and it starts to compound  things. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I had a lesson Friday so this is a tale of two 18s. On Saturday we played Sleepy Hollow (just made Golf.com top 30 munis) and I shot an 86. Lots of thin/chunked wedges and still but the driver all over the place. Also every pin was in A$$hole locations and having to play 3 and 4 footers with inches of break and perfect pace isn't fun. I hit some shots but the lessons were giving me iffy thoughts.

The changes were.

1. Get the left bicep on top of the chest to square upper body.

2. Keep the club online in the takeaway. I drop it way inside, a move from my 20s to combat banana slice.

3. Forward ball position.

4. Shorter back swing.

So I started off today by showing up late at the home course and having to tee off on #5. I started with 4 bogeys in a row with bad chips and wild shots, thinking here we go again. Then I looked down and saw that my left arm, while on my chest, had gone dead straight, no elbow bend. I relaxed my arms to give a more natural feel at address, and I moved the ball back to center on irons and wedges. And I shot even par for the remaining 14 holes. Still need short game work, but this is encouraging.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Generally... un-spectacular.

I get it! Perfect description that lets the mind wander. 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

39 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

39/41 for my personal best of 80!! Even better it was a club event 4th of July tournament. Played great with 35 putts. Short game and accuracy off the tee today were fantastic. Hit 50% of GIR and 3/4 par 3s. Put up one of the best net scores with my handicap of the tournament. 

congrats on the personal best. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, azstu324 said:

Lived in the Phoenix area for over 25 years and just played TPC Stadium course for the 1st time. Shot a respectable 81 but was working the scramble like a short order cook! Driver was on a rope all day but I couldn't hit the greens to save my life. 

Screenshot_20210704-135047.png.cbc0ae9021ab7fdab92fcf974466a11a.png

0704210958.jpg.9ccd7a662d4e27c4bf5f4c3e1a456c69.jpg

0704211053.jpg.b6c8f757e711f6e067114a13a69a98b9.jpg

0704211058.jpg.b20bd286fafc1a7e12dffcd1c35f97ab.jpg

My buddy didn't quite get the help tiger did but nearly had the same shot..

0704211105.jpg.4de76c20acd24952f526c420cb85a58d.jpg

Stadium hole #16.. I would have been boo'd 

0704211154_HDR.jpg.41e937b49a45781c02e821c110bb4e3e.jpg

0704211149a.jpg.f4404a1f4600a917b112d8b0ddb56851.jpg

0704211221.jpg.105a350f95d1924f816914e747f949a7.jpg

Finally, I didn't make the same mistake that I made when I played Poppy Hills a couple weeks go. I got some schwag! 

0704211352_HDR.jpg.56bb81efc99fcda9a7087b6d34cabafc.jpg

Nice!!  Brings back memories!  I was in Phoenix for a meeting the July after that rock was moved for Tiger.  As a then 16 handicap I birdied 15, got up and down out of the left bunker for par on 16, parred 17 from right of the green, and parred 18 from the rough by the fairway bunkers on the right.  So, one under par over the last 4 holes.  I don't remember any of the other holes on the course, but I will always remember those 4 holes.  Oh... and the round cost $52.