TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

3 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

I was debating wether to post this or not, but golf is golf and I guess we all go through tough times. I played the absolute worst I have ever played in my life yesterday. I stopped counting and debated on throwing my clubs in the water that my ball liked so much. I was extremely frustrated and just couldnt get out of my funk. What a horrible day, lessons learned though and I will keep at it and keep trying to get better.

Was that you in the group behind me??  🤣  Sorry if my bad play rubbed off on you.  I've been having days like that too.  It comes and goes based on the whims of the golf gods!  Seriously... let's get together for a round.  Maybe the temp will cool off in the next few weeks; these 105º days are getting tiresome.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Was that you in the group behind me??  🤣  Sorry if my bad play rubbed off on you.  I've been having days like that too.  It comes and goes based on the whims of the golf gods!  Seriously... let's get together for a round.  Maybe the temp will cool off in the next few weeks; these 105º days are getting tiresome.

It could have been I teed off at 1138, but only if the person behind you spent more time in the other fairways. yeah we definately need to get together. I literally just wanted to quit, I didnt but I sure wanted to. 

Edited by Ethan21
  • Driver: Taylormade Stealth 9* 
  • Woods: Cobra LTDx 14.5*
  • Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3 Hybrid
  • Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 60* and 56*, SM8 50*
  • Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select 1.5

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Discovered a pitch shot right before my round that worked for me during my round. Feels like a quick tempo wristy move. Probably the opposite of proper technique. But no duffed or bladed pitch shots during the round. 

Also got out of the bunker in 1 try everytime i was in the bunker. This is pretty amazing for me. The T-grind Edel wedges is working well for me from the bunkers because you don't need to open it up much to expose the bounce. When I have to open up the face a lot, I start hitting hosel rockets. 

Well Gareth Reflewski was on TXG a while back talking about working on a very wristy short, adding a good amount of loft, using the bounce, to hit some shorter pitches with high spin and he is one of the top short game coaches in the world. So you got that going for you.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

11 minutes ago, Ethan21 said:

It could have been I teed off at 1138, but only if the person behind you spent more time in the other fairways. yeah we definately need to get together. I literally just wanted to quit, I didnt but I sure wanted to. 

Once, I walked to the parking lot from Columbia Point #3 by the sand trap when I was playing with 2 buddies.  As a member I can do that without feeling like I threw away money, but I would have done it anyway.  Next time out, I played fine!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

I was debating wether to post this or not, but golf is golf and I guess we all go through tough times. I played the absolute worst I have ever played in my life yesterday. I stopped counting and debated on throwing my clubs in the water that my ball liked so much. I was extremely frustrated and just couldnt get out of my funk. What a horrible day, lessons learned though and I will keep at it and keep trying to get better.

Keep your head up! We have all been there my man! Each day can mean a new PR but it can also mean a new low. Just stay on the grind! 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

2 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Well Gareth Reflewski was on TXG a while back talking about working on a very wristy short, adding a good amount of loft, using the bounce, to hit some shorter pitches with high spin and he is one of the top short game coaches in the world. So you got that going for you.

Nice, I will have to watch that. I saw a video of Jordan Spieth doing something similar, so that was my inspiration.

For me, with that shot, I use a quick tempo, quick wrist set and immediate change in direction. Very little pivot movement. The quick tempo makes it so i avoid decelerating through impact. The trajectory of these pitch shots is much better (higher) than ever. I would actually classify it as a fairly low-mid trajectory, but its higher than what i usually hit which is really low.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

1st time out on a course I played last year. There was a short par 4 with water surround 80% green except for the front right  on 16th. Poor management. I took out the driver and drove it in the water.  Can not see the water from the tee box and totally forgot there was water. but I should have thought it out before I took out the driver.    Unfortunately my fairway wood wasn’t working and I wanted hit my driver ball to a tiny place of dry land on the front right part on the green.  Instead went left and splash.   
Sometimes I go to auto pilot and would be smarter to take out a long iron 

Edited by Haro

7 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Nice, I will have to watch that. I saw a video of Jordan Spieth doing something similar, so that was my inspiration.

For me, with that shot, I use a quick tempo, quick wrist set and immediate change in direction. Very little pivot movement. The quick tempo makes it so i avoid decelerating through impact. The trajectory of these pitch shots is much better (higher) than ever. I would actually classify it as a fairly low-mid trajectory, but its higher than what i usually hit which is really low.

I like it I have tried it on the range and it seems fun. One of these times I'll have to use it on the course. I just have no idea how far it goes.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

42 minutes ago, MattF said:

Lousy. Shot an 88 because it was the Bataan Death March. I had 2 4somes and 1 3some in front of me playing a skins game between themselves and just couldn't get any rhythm at all. Wait 5-10 minutes on the tee because they'd wait for the green to clear when they're 300+ out on a par 5 and 225-250 on a par 4. How about we hit an iron to lay up instead of a fairway because the result will be the same...you won't make the green and you'll be hitting it again anyway. 5 hours and 20 minutes of agro.

I hear ya MattF, yesterday my 4some was playing behind a 5some on the front nine where we waited on every hole. After nine,  I finally discussed this issue with the Ranger (translation: complained). He came back and said we could play through on 11. They were playing a scramble.  Sometimes it just takes a short conversation with the Ranger to resolve the issues at hand.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Back down in the 70s for the first time in a little bit with a 78 (4.9 Diff). 2 birdies, 9 pars, 4 bogies, 2 doubles. 9/18 greens, 7/14 fairways, 31 putts; about 2 better than my averages across the board over the last few months.

Been working on a "dead" feeling with my arms in the transition/downswing and it is really helping to reduce my left miss. Hoping I can keep the momentum going into August. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

4 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I hear ya MattF, yesterday my 4some was playing behind a 5some on the front nine where we waited on every hole. After nine,  I finally discussed this issue with the Ranger (translation: complained). He came back and said we could play through on 11. They were playing a scramble.  Sometimes it just takes a short conversation with the Ranger to resolve the issues at hand.

I spoke to the ranger and the Pro shop, but me going past them would have resulted in missing 3 holes. I probably should have left after 9.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

23 hours ago, Ethan21 said:

In case shared misery might help you feel a bit better....

I had a round this past Friday that was bad enough that my friend said to me, "I've never seen you do some of the things you've done today."  I topped a ball, I shanked a 3 iron into the abyss...  wound up with 7 double bogeys in the first 11 holes, and 8 doubles in all.

I feel your pain, Brother Ethan....

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Played one of our muni courses today -- one that I hadn't played for several years -- Stone Ridge Golf Course in Eagle Point.  It is one of the prettier layouts in the valley, but unfortunately financial difficulties always left the course with much to be desired -- slow greens, patchy fairways, and typical muni conditions.  It's now under new management and they're trying to make improvements.  Unfortunately, we are in bad need of rain here and the heat's been very high for several weeks now.  All of the courses in our area are really putting the water to the fairways and greens to keep from losing them.  So, the course was soft and wet, but the greens rolled well.  I shot a 78, which easily could have been 3 or 4 strokes better, having missed a couple of makable putts.  Anywho..... was a fun day with my regular playing partner.  We played as a twosome and the course was relatively smooth sailing at the time we teed off.  Ran into one group of 6, who quickly let us play through.  Here I am at the "selfie spot" where you can post the selfie for a chance to win a free round.  It's a 132 yard par 3.  The pin and my tee shot are directly behind me.  Missed the 15 foot putt, but tapped in for the easy par.

IMG_0369.jpeg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I need to go back and be spoiled at my home course. No wonder my scores have been low there. I can truly appreciate my courses conditions.  

I think you said exactly what you are, and it isn't spoiled. You're appreciative of where you normally play. I grew up at a place that literally had sheep grazing during the evenings. Your description of needing a drill to get the tee in brings back memories, and I was never able to land the ball on the green without it bouncing off. I needed to bounce it on. It was a dream when I got to play courses that actually felt like golf courses.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I need to go back and be spoiled at my home course. No wonder my scores have been low there. I can truly appreciate my courses conditions.  

Membership has its privileges.  🙂  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

6 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Tuesday net skin game at Plantation Palms…shot a 46/48:94 witH three penalties today.  I lost a ball (OB) on holes 6, 7 & 8. Then took a penalty on hole 14.  Prob my worst round at my new club.  That said, I had 11/14 FIR, 5/18 GIR and 35 Putts.

I was experimenting by pulling my 3W from the bag, changing my 6W back to a 5W and adding my 7W.  The few times I needed the 3W, I used my 19* Hybrid.  This leaves me with Driver(180-210) 3 Hybrid(175-190) 5W (165-175) & 7W (155-165).  This will be my bag going forward at the new course.

I hit my 3H better than any fairway wood, but I still keep trying different ones. 🙄

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I hit my 3H better than any fairway wood, but I still keep trying different ones. 🙄

I think we ALL do that!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list