Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

7:00 am on a WET, CPO nasty course.  Greens were really nice but understandably slow due to water.  Seemed like the 4 of us were in neutral until 6th hole.  I wasn’t hitting irons badly but it’s tough hitting off a wet sponge for 9 holes.  Tropical Storm on its way so more water problems. Ended up +6 for the 9 holes, yuck.

You’ll be fine buddy. +6 isn’t the end of the world, in fact, lately I wish it was my world, 😉

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

6 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I finally had a round I was happy with. It’s been a while.

Shot 40-43 today from the whites in the toughest league I play in. I’d guess 80% of the players are single digits who either play the whites or black tees.

I caught a little ribbing from them when the results were announced because of all the strokes I got today, but it was good natured. They’ve seen me when I was playing well, and know all about my recent struggles. 
We had 51 guys, and I won low net on the front, got 5th on the back and 2nd fo lowr total. I ended up winning only $110, because even with a $20 buy in we also play skins, ctp on every par 3, and a random team game where we pull names from a hat after everyone is done.

Fun day with a great group of guys I haven’t seen in a couple of months, and it felt really nice to play a decent round. 

Well done👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 8/12/2021 at 8:20 PM, chisag said:

... OK, now it is just getting silly. I can't remember shooting exactly par 2 days in a row let alone 3 and having the same amount of birdies and bogies. So the chances of 4 in a row are like jlukes waking up and magically having the correct shafts in his MIM irons. 

... I had to do a Voice Session for Humana today and thought I wouldn't get to play. But finished 1/2 hr early and was able to juuuust get to the course for a 3:56 tee time. Hard to start off well when you jump out of the car and run to the first tee with a new swing and this running through your head "And you may be able to save on dental, vision and hearing expenses because coverage is included with most Humana Medicare Advantage plans"  🤪

... Same ole same ole with good and bad swings. Sitting on 1 under coming into #17 a 189 yd par 3, I pushed my usually reliable 4 iron hugging the right side that has mounds feeding the ball back onto the green. Mine was about 2 yards on top of the mounds and just sat there. Only chance was to kill a LW onto the fringe and hope it stopped before hitting a tier. It did just that stopping a couple inches from rolling another 25 feet but I missed the putt from 8 feet for a bogie and back to even par with 3 bogies and 3 birdies. Really?!? #18 is a shortish par 5 but plays uphill and when inside 100yds you can't see the green and just the top of the flag. I had 85 figuring it played like 90 a perfect full 58* wedge. Musta been more like 95 because I hit it well and thought it was close but walking up to the green it was just on the fringe leaving me about a 12 footer. Kinda laughing on the inside knowing a par gives me 4 days in a row of shooting par I rolled in the 12 footer to finish 1 under and break the "spell". 

... And you all know what that means. jlukes won't be waking up to magically replaced shafts in his Cobra irons. 

1694045884_legacyscore.jpg.ee0d1b38737e59d48c7818a89c489c66.jpg

Dang!!  Now you spoiled it for me.  Oh well, guess I'll just hit the mute button.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I finally had a round I was happy with. It’s been a while.

Shot 40-43 today from the whites in the toughest league I play in. I’d guess 80% of the players are single digits who either play the whites or black tees.

I caught a little ribbing from them when the results were announced because of all the strokes I got today, but it was good natured. They’ve seen me when I was playing well, and know all about my recent struggles. 
We had 51 guys, and I won low net on the front, got 5th on the back and 2nd fo lowr total. I ended up winning only $110, because even with a $20 buy in we also play skins, ctp on every par 3, and a random team game where we pull names from a hat after everyone is done.

Fun day with a great group of guys I haven’t seen in a couple of months, and it felt really nice to play a decent round. 
EDIT I forgot to mention, on the 13th tee I snapped the shaft of my driver (only my 6th round with it!). The ball went about 130 yards down the middle, and I was left standing on the tee holding only the grip and maybe two inches of the shaft below it. Scared the hell out of me, to be honest. It figures… having a great day with it, and had to hit my last 4 drives with a 3 wood. 🙄

Callaway was great though. I called them just before they closed tonight. They’ll get me a replacement by Tuesday. I can’t ask for better CS than that

Hey!  Glad to have you back posting again!!  I hope the broken driver is not a "thing".  I'm playing the same one.  😬

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

EDIT I forgot to mention, on the 13th tee I snapped the shaft of my driver (only my 6th round with it!). The ball went about 130 yards down the middle, and I was left standing on the tee holding only the grip and maybe two inches of the shaft below it. Scared the hell out of me, to be honest. It figures… having a great day with it, and had to hit my last 4 drives with a 3 wood. 🙄

Callaway was great though. I called them just before they closed tonight. They’ll get me a replacement by Tuesday. I can’t ask for better CS than that

I had the exact thing happen to me with a Callaway driver as well when I was just getting started, it was my first "real" driver. Now in my case, I *might* have come in to the ball incredibly steep, but still - broke in the same spot as yours. Callaway also swapped mine out in less than a week. They were awesome to work with.

broken_driver.jpg.0d3b096843ea819c8d10dc4a8e35bd97.jpg

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Got out for an early round with @DiscipleofPenick this morning. Had a great time at a new-to-me course, but feel like I left a lot of meat on the bone. I ended up with 43/43 for +14, which is right at my handicap. Drove the ball decently, with no real bombs but not into much trouble. The struggles were irons and putting. Not many real solid irons with most everything out towards the toe and ended up with 36 putts where I am averaging 31. If I could have figured those things out, it could have been a very good round, but I'll take it nonetheless.

On the 9th, Tom decided to try out my Epic Speed and hit a missile that Arccos measured at 303 that probably didn't have much roll due to the wetness where he landed (couldn't see the landing area from the tee). He hit it again on 10 with not as good of a result but still pretty damn good.

Now it's lunch and nap time before I need to start attacking the "honey-do" list that seems to build whenever I'm on the golf course.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I eliminated the big numbers today - nothing worse than a double, and only 1 of those, so manged to avoid the stupid numbers.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

46 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Got out for an early round with @DiscipleofPenick this morning. Had a great time at a new-to-me course, but feel like I left a lot of meat on the bone. I ended up with 43/43 for +14, which is right at my handicap. Drove the ball decently, with no real bombs but not into much trouble. The struggles were irons and putting. Not many real solid irons with most everything out towards the toe and ended up with 36 putts where I am averaging 31. If I could have figured those things out, it could have been a very good round, but I'll take it nonetheless.

On the 9th, Tom decided to try out my Epic Speed and hit a missile that Arccos measured at 303 that probably didn't have much roll due to the wetness where he landed (couldn't see the landing area from the tee). He hit it again on 10 with not as good of a result but still pretty damn good.

Now it's lunch and nap time before I need to start attacking the "honey-do" list that seems to build whenever I'm on the golf course.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I eliminated the big numbers today - nothing worse than a double, and only 1 of those, so manged to avoid the stupid numbers.

Hell yeah it was a great morning. The course is Hawk's Nest in Creston, OH. It's run by Ohio St.'s ATI program. It was a little soft still but we were off the cart path. I shot 78 (37/41) with 37 putts. Other than one drive, the putter really let me down. I average 31. One birdie on the hole I hit the Epic. 12/14 were good drives and I hit 14 greens. I'm feeling close and glad one of the Spies got to see me break 80 so they don't think I'm fibbing 😆. Looking forward to the next time!

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

15 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Hey!  Glad to have you back posting again!!  I hope the broken driver is not a "thing".  I'm playing the same one.  😬

Thanks, Kenny.

My buddy is really good friends with the local Callaway rep, he told me it’s the 3rd time he’s heard of that happening this month with that shaft. 
That wasn’t the most reassuring of news… 🙄

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:           :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:       :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 25*

Irons:             :touredgeexotics:  E722 6-AW

Wedges:        :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small:RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

14th club?     :cobra-small:  Speedzone  4H 21*  

:touredgeexotics:  E722 GW 51*                     

1 minute ago, TBS said:

I finally did it. For the past 2 years I have been on a the quest to a more consistent golf game and ultimately break 80. I've taken lessons, gotten fit for some club upgrades,  practiced more intentionally and played a lot. Today it came together.

79 (!!) 38/41 - 8 FIR - 6 GIR - 29 putts - 12 chips

I started off solid with a comfy par then 2 birdies on par 5s. The rest of the day was a little grind, with some great up and downs and solid drives. The best part is that I still felt like there were a few strokes left out there. A lip out par, a skull f*c!?d wedge inside 100 yards that flew the green and resulted in a double, and 2 wipey drives. But overall, it was a good grind and I am very proud of what I was able to accomplish. 

When me and my wife found out we were pregnant in January of 2021, I doubled down on the commitment to breaking 80 before baby girl comes. Well, 3 weeks before the due date, I did it. What a great game golf is and we are all so fortunate to be able to play. Time to put the final touches on the nursery... and maybe some more short game practice if I finish early.

That's a great accomplishment, congratulations! Making changes and seeing results is one of the best feelings in the world. 

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your daughter! 

15 minutes ago, TBS said:

I finally did it. For the past 2 years I have been on a the quest to a more consistent golf game and ultimately break 80. I've taken lessons, gotten fit for some club upgrades,  practiced more intentionally and played a lot. Today it came together.

79 (!!) 38/41 - 8 FIR - 6 GIR - 29 putts - 12 chips

I started off solid with a comfy par then 2 birdies on par 5s. The rest of the day was a little grind, with some great up and downs and solid drives. The best part is that I still felt like there were a few strokes left out there. A lip out par, a skull f*c!?d wedge inside 100 yards that flew the green and resulted in a double, and 2 wipey drives. But overall, it was a good grind and I am very proud of what I was able to accomplish. 

When me and my wife found out we were pregnant in January of 2021, I doubled down on the commitment to breaking 80 before baby girl comes. Well, 3 weeks before the due date, I did it. What a great game golf is and we are all so fortunate to be able to play. Time to put the final touches on the nursery... and maybe some more short game practice if I finish early.

Congratulations on the image.png.05a71393331854a02e7206bc8af9fce2.png👍

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Alright played today and have two questions out of it:

1. Whenever you are playing with a 4-some do you play different tees or for pace of play purposes do you play the same tees? I ask this more as a do you move up.

2. Does anyone else struggle with "casual" rounds? I feel like going and just playing with friends or a random group I struggle being focused and scoring well

3 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

1. Whenever you are playing with a 4-some do you play different tees or for pace of play purposes do you play the same tees? I ask this more as a do you move up.

2. Does anyone else struggle with "casual" rounds? I feel like going and just playing with friends or a random group I struggle being focused and scoring well

1. No. I typically play from around 6500 which is one up at larger courses or tips at the muni. When I’m paired with someone, I always say “I play from these tees, play whatever tees you fee comfortable with. Don’t feel a need to play my tees. I don’t think pace of play is an issue from separate tees if everyone is ready to hit when it’s their turn. That means pull your cart up near your tee box as long as it’s not in the direct line of the tee shot. Glove on and club pulled. 

2. meh - next time grab a score card and draw a face on how you played that hole instead of score. Laugh at bad shots, remember the good and enjoy each other’s company. I care a lot about scores but I pay good money to play and I want to play well but having fun is the most important thing. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

2 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

Generally when I'm a solo joining a twosome or threesome, I just play whatever they are playing so long as it's white or blue. Often they'll ask and I just respond "whichever you're playing is fine).  I did recently play with 3 guys who were using the senior tee and I played first from the white. It dosen't impact pace of play at all.

As for "casual rounds", I pretty much play all my rounds in a casual manner.  I'm serious about the game and my effort to score low, but I've long since left those days when the want for score detracts from the pure fun of just playing. Now, that said, if fellow players are excessively nonchalant, or I'm playing with folks who arguably should be spending time at the range, that can negatively affect my concentration.  

5 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I have no issues playing multiple sets of tees.  I encourage people I’m playing with to play the correct tees for enjoyment.   When I go with my dad and brother we could be playing 3 sets of tees.  Any time we take on the tee gets made up when my dad and brother aren’t taking extra shots into the green.

In league play we used to all play from the White tees.  While I don’t mind doing it, it takes driver (and some fun) out of it for me because there is a lot of forced shots to landing areas.

As for a struggling with casual rounds, yeah… it is much more difficult for me to stay focused if it’s not somewhat competitive.  I love playing with @Lacassembecause we enjoy the competition between ourselves and @StrokerAce because he’s super consistent and I need to play well to stand a chance.  Playing with my brother can be hard as he’s learning the game and I feel like I end up trying to teach more than play, but he will often play with me as competitive as we can.  I usually give him a stroke a hole except for par 3’s.  We have some good competitive holes that way.  

With my oldest son starting to play, and actively rooting against me, I’m sure I’ll have enough motivation over the next few years even in casual rounds to beat him!  I can’t remember the last time I was sitting over a 25 foot eagle putt with someone changing “No Eagle, No Eagle, No Eagle!” In my ear.

…… Yes,  I drained it. 🤣

Sounds like it's time to put an after round, loser buys, ice cold lemonade up for grabs. 

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Sounds like it's time to put an after round, loser buys, ice cold lemonade up for grabs. 

I gave him 2 strokes a hole, he played from about 100 yards and in. I shot 1 under par and it was shockingly close. I think I won by 4 stokes.  

it’s really cool to see a kid start to pickup the game. ☺️

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

6 minutes ago, CarlH said:

On #17, I faded my drive into the right rough and found myself in a position behind some tall evergreens.  Were it not a tournament and I were playing match play, I might have attempted a shot through a window of opportunity to get on the green.  However, I did choose to pitch back to the fairway and I hit a nice little pitch pin high about 4 or 5 feet to the pin.  I read a break and played the ball just above the high edge of the hole.  The pace was perfect, but the ball didn't break a bit and I carded a bogey.  Interestingly, one of my playing partners for the day had a similar shot, but even a bit easier.  He chose to go for the green.  Short version of the story -- he took a 7 on the par 4.

smart playing;  do what it takes to avoid worse than a bogey. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, juspoole said:

Played a full 18 for the first time in quite a while.  It was club that my friend belongs and is very narrow and tree lined, but shorter at only 6450 from the back tees.  I got off to a very rough start and was 5 over through 3 holes.  Not the best way to get going.  Luckily from then on out, I was able to piece together a few good shots here and there and ended up with an 80 on a par 71.  Odd round for me as I had many gap wedges and pitching wedges that I hit fat and usually do not have that issue with clubs that short.  I'm wondering if my Mizunos know that the T100-s are coming and were a little ticked off lol jk  Although driving and putting wasn't much better.....

Score 80

Fairways: 6

Greens: 8

Putts: 35

Are you at or near 100% from the Achilles injury? 

2 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Are you at or near 100% from the Achilles injury? 

Golf wise - very close.  I jog 15 - 20 miles per week and have gotten most of my speed back, but my stamina is still lacking.  I'll have to stop at times around the 2 mile mark to restretch.  

I've not attempted basketball or tennis at this point and will still wait a while for those.  Also, I've been care not to do much jumping or "fast twitch" effort for the most part.

So in my mind, I'm probably around 75% - 80% recovered.  Don't get me started on the atrophy.  Still a lot of strengthening to do in my calve as well.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"