Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Bacon Boyz 9 holes 7:00am Tee Time, warm and little humid but nice breeze probably from TS Fred.  Not a pretty sight this morning, +4.  Driver was not good but irons were hanging in there.  Couple decent shots with 5 hybrid that gave me some hope.

Always tomorrow 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

normal Sunday round; hot and humid and by the 15th hole I was pretty worn out.  Ball striking is still pretty good; putting seems to be continuing down the mediocre path.   Did a little experimentation today; based podcasts and metrics I have been reading my goal was to be pin high or past on every hole.  Essentially the thought process is to hit your 80% percentile for shot dispersion and not always be short.   Ended up short siding myself long a couple of times, but I think the approach is beneficial and results in shorter putts.    

42/40:82.  8 FW, 9 GIR, 38 putts.   

I know this isn't your train of thought. I disagree with the podcasts on this, or whatever the metrics say. The traditional way green complexes were constructed was the green was sloped back to front, and the direct front of the green is open to give the shots of less skilled players a chance to bounce the ball onto the green. It's only on the newer courses, say ones constructed since say the 1980s that more obstacles have been appearing in front of greens to force players to carry the ball onto the putting surface. On the majority of courses around me (Cleveland, OH so we have older courses) if I try to be pin high or worse I'm going to have a lot of downhill putts, or chips from over the back of the green onto a downhill. If I play to stay short of the pin, I am leaving myself with uphill putts, and giving luck a chance to bounce the ball on if my 80% shot doesn't quite carry all the way on. Even if it's a front pin, I'll putt from the apron.

And I read those ShotScope metrics reports. Where I disagree is their conclusion, not with the numbers themselves. They point out that the vast majority of approach shots (or 2nd shots) end up short. They also point out that the vast majority of trouble around a green is towards the front. Their conclusion is to hit more club to make sure the player avoids trouble short. What this does not account for are the slick, downhill chips and putts I just mentioned. I think what their conclusion should be is for the player to make note of were trouble is, and make the best shot selection to avoid said trouble. If that's a lake, then take one more club. If it's a pin tucked on the right side next to a bunker, and you only hit draws, maybe don't play for the pin on this hole and aim for the center of the green. The logic should be three things  - understand your ability, be aware of trouble, make the intelligent shot to avoid trouble. 

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

10 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I know this isn't your train of thought. I disagree with the podcasts on this, or whatever the metrics say. The traditional way green complexes were constructed was the green was sloped back to front, and the direct front of the green is open to give the shots of less skilled players a chance to bounce the ball onto the green. It's only on the newer courses, say ones constructed since say the 1980s that more obstacles have been appearing in front of greens to force players to carry the ball onto the putting surface. On the majority of courses around me (Cleveland, OH so we have older courses) if I try to be pin high or worse I'm going to have a lot of downhill putts, or chips from over the back of the green onto a downhill. If I play to stay short of the pin, I am leaving myself with uphill putts, and giving luck a chance to bounce the ball on if my 80% shot doesn't quite carry all the way on. Even if it's a front pin, I'll putt from the apron.

And I read those ShotScope metrics reports. Where I disagree is their conclusion, not with the numbers themselves. They point out that the vast majority of approach shots (or 2nd shots) end up short. They also point out that the vast majority of trouble around a green is towards the front. Their conclusion is to hit more club to make sure the player avoids trouble short. What this does not account for are the slick, downhill chips and putts I just mentioned. I think what their conclusion should be is for the player to make note of were trouble is, and make the best shot selection to avoid said trouble. If that's a lake, then take one more club. If it's a pin tucked on the right side next to a bunker, and you only hit draws, maybe don't play for the pin on this hole and aim for the center of the green. The logic should be three things  - understand your ability, be aware of trouble, make the intelligent shot to avoid trouble. 

Respect you opinion,  and I agree you need to understand you ability, assess the trouble around the green, and make the intelligent shot. 

With the development of tools like shotlink, strokes gained, and people tracking their data the strategies to play golf are evolving.   The older school of thought that you want uphill putts and chips doesn’t lead to better scoring…give me a slick downhill 4 footer instead of a 9 foot uphill putt any day.  Different Strategies on when to attack pins and not too attack are now being shown to average golfers. Y more knowledgeable sources than the golf commentator trying to fill 4 hours of air time.   Additionally players end up short because they don’t know how far they hit the ball; they play to that personal best number that they seldom achieve .  

I would say that my decisions this past weekend were probably smarter decisions than I have made in the past.  All players have dispersion patterns for the shots and you have no idea where your next shot will go.   I’ll continue to work on better target selection for better long term scoring.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Played today and not as good yesterday. Though this course was far wetter than yesterday's round, and I hope they didn't mow the fairways in a few days. Just a local course with my buddy and his wife. I didn't really keep score but I think it was in the 82-84 range. Only 1 birdie and 1 double.

The course itself was...interesting. It's about 15 minutes away from my house and I've played 9 a few times at it, but today was the first time playing 18, and the blue tees.

So as I mentioned the fairways were long. Not plush or grown in, just long. I'm hoping this means they just haven't been able to mow in the last few days. Unfortunately, there was crab grass all over, fairways too. Some of the blue tees were tucked back in a chute, which was a nice feel (and messed with me a bit) but a lot of the big trees have over grown with limbs sticking out into the fairway or hanging right in front of the tee box so you couldn't even use half of it. The par 3 17th, I couldn't even see the flag from the tee as there was a pine tree about 20 years in front that blocked the left third of the green. Trim it back. Also the course is listed at 6985, but when I measured it on Google Earth, it came out to under 6400.

To  top it off, this is the sign that greets you as you drive in. The audacity....

Hilliard_Lakes_logo.jpg

maybe they meant Augusta, Maine??  😆

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Respect you opinion,  and I agree you need to understand you ability, assess the trouble around the green, and make the intelligent shot. 

With the development of tools like shotlink, strokes gained, and people tracking their data the strategies to play golf are evolving.   The older school of thought that you want uphill putts and chips doesn’t lead to better scoring…give me a slick downhill 4 footer instead of a 9 foot uphill putt any day.  Different Strategies on when to attack pins and not too attack are now being shown to average golfers. Y more knowledgeable sources than the golf commentator trying to fill 4 hours of air time.   Additionally players end up short because they don’t know how far they hit the ball; they play to that personal best number that they seldom achieve .  

I would say that my decisions this past weekend were probably smarter decisions than I have made in the past.  All players have dispersion patterns for the shots and you have no idea where your next shot will go.   I’ll continue to work on better target selection for better long term scoring.  

That's what it should be man! Comfort and confidence. Not just blanket metrics, but what works best for you! If you're comfortable making those decision and know what putts and shots you are comfortable with, go play your game and ignore the haters. I know what I am comfortable with, and stick to it.

You are right, people need to know their true carry distances, not always focus on that personal best number. 

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

16 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Such a great time!

Here’s the Arccos down and dirty on our team’s play:

B253F4E4-725A-42C5-8477-BAE635D6F4E1.jpeg.ba785aaa3744f7ffb0b3c03bc428e550.jpeg

DA473569-8417-46A3-8CB6-0C60C837C614.jpeg.a33f9503701a8bbb73253ee791a1fddd.jpeg

Overall we played really well.  Two teams finished ahead of us a -10.  While I didn’t track every shot by which person hit it I did go back and look at drives because I had a pretty prolific day off the tee with the Epic Max LS and Motore X combo.  

Now,  There are certainly some downhill assists here, but nothing too crazy… but I was striping them pure today.  A lot of shots had nice tight draws and I’m really feeling like I can swing smooth and get great results with this combo.  We ended up using my drive on 7 of the 14 non par three holes.  My average on those holes was 287.57!  I’ve never had a day like that off the tee. Also interesting to note, I took driver on every single par 4 and 5 even if it meant needing to try to take one over a tree to cut a corner.  I feel really confident with this combo right now.  We started on #15, par 3s excluded:

8E71CBF8-C7D4-4C82-A37F-327EB3974AE4.jpeg.468bebc8496c4ba0f5a15e352d9f2b1d.jpeg

But it was a DAMN good thing I had Mark, Pete, and Tim there to hit approach shots because Those were not nearly as good for me, although I did card one natural birdie on #13.  My Arccos smart distance for driver went from 266 yards to 271 yards with just this one round.  It’s going to hurt a little bit when I tell it to exclude this round from my stats… but it must be done!

It was a nicely run event, with a lot of good people and I was happy to have the chance to join in this year!

Sounds like that combo is killing it which is great. Found a similar groove with mine lately and looking forward to the next round of now that I have the spin under control. Though don't think I'll quite keep up with that average.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

22 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Such a great time!

Here’s the Arccos down and dirty on our team’s play:

B253F4E4-725A-42C5-8477-BAE635D6F4E1.jpeg.ba785aaa3744f7ffb0b3c03bc428e550.jpeg

DA473569-8417-46A3-8CB6-0C60C837C614.jpeg.a33f9503701a8bbb73253ee791a1fddd.jpeg

Overall we played really well.  Two teams finished ahead of us a -10.  While I didn’t track every shot by which person hit it I did go back and look at drives because I had a pretty prolific day off the tee with the Epic Max LS and Motore X combo.  

Now,  There are certainly some downhill assists here, but nothing too crazy… but I was striping them pure today.  A lot of shots had nice tight draws and I’m really feeling like I can swing smooth and get great results with this combo.  We ended up using my drive on 7 of the 14 non par three holes.  My average on those holes was 287.57!  I’ve never had a day like that off the tee. Also interesting to note, I took driver on every single par 4 and 5 even if it meant needing to try to take one over a tree to cut a corner.  I feel really confident with this combo right now.  We started on #15, par 3s excluded:

8E71CBF8-C7D4-4C82-A37F-327EB3974AE4.jpeg.468bebc8496c4ba0f5a15e352d9f2b1d.jpeg

But it was a DAMN good thing I had Mark, Pete, and Tim there to hit approach shots because Those were not nearly as good for me, although I did card one natural birdie on #13.  My Arccos smart distance for driver went from 266 yards to 271 yards with just this one round.  It’s going to hurt a little bit when I tell it to exclude this round from my stats… but it must be done!

It was a nicely run event, with a lot of good people and I was happy to have the chance to join in this year!

Way to bring it with the Big Dog!  How does today compare with your typical driving average?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

25 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Anyway, I was really hitting the ball poorly and getting unbelievable bad breaks, 

Bad breaks, eh?  Unbelievable ones?

I was recently told that over time the bad breaks and good breaks even out.  Horse hockey!!  I've been waiting for over 2 years for the good breaks to catch up with bad breaks!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Bad breaks, eh?  Unbelievable ones?

Well, not unbelievable, but tough pills to swallow --- hit a great 8 iron a bit left of the flag, it hits and bounces hard left (like 90 degrees) into a trap.  Another hole, I pull my iron into the trap and get the proverbial fried egg into the side of the trap.  I hit my best drive of the day and when I get to it, it's in a deep divot that the person didn't bother even trying to fix.  I don't think I had any good bounces today to even any of the bad ones out.  Or maybe I just don't remember the good ones 🙂 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 minute ago, HeathS16 said:

I was REALLY pressing to post another score in the 70s…maybe a little too much. Sh**ked one on 5 which led to double…did that 3 more times during the round and just couldn’t shake them. This is not a good place to be, Dante’s levels of hell needs to include sh**king a golf ball. They cost me 6 strokes today. 
5A8AA817-5E55-4A08-AE2C-AD77C48AE3F6.jpeg.04234859969e8c1689998708cd4d9bcf.jpeg

Anyways…back to reality 😆 sorry to be so gloomy. 

We all have those rounds, hope you bounce back next time out.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

4 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

I was REALLY pressing to post another score in the 70s…maybe a little too much. Sh**ked one on 5 which led to double…did that 3 more times during the round and just couldn’t shake them. This is not a good place to be, Dante’s levels of hell needs to include sh**king a golf ball. They cost me 6 strokes today. 
5A8AA817-5E55-4A08-AE2C-AD77C48AE3F6.jpeg.04234859969e8c1689998708cd4d9bcf.jpeg

Anyways…back to reality 😆 sorry to be so gloomy. 

They always show up at the worst time, and the result is in the worst possible location.  At least they do for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Out of body experience this morning.  First Tee shot of the morning big slice (left) and clobbered a house about 180-200 yards and obviously OB.  Next tee shot fine and bogey hole, lucky 4th shot 2’ from hole.  Par second hole that’s good, 3rd hole for how to swing a club and never really found it.  A few lucky Pars from bad swings and good chip shots.  Finished +6, 42.

Definitely a head scratcher, would be OK if I had hair.  Gotta get it together B4 Friday, Bacon Boyz will kick my butt in a tough track with CPO.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list