Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

18 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is the second round testing the AVX and I think I like it as well or better than the V1.  It seems a bit longer off the tee and with irons, and has a little more stopping power on approaches. Any other AVX aficionados out there?

I play the AVX normally and love them. The only time I play another ball is when I did testing (Gamer and Maxfli Tour's). I still have a sleeve of Gamers and the full two dozen Maxfli's. I'll play whatever I'm testing as long as they work well for me until they are gone then go back to the AVX. But I will throw a day in with the AVX to continue comparison. Today was an AVX day.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Member-member tournament scheduled for today was rained out, which is a good thing here.  We certainly need the rain!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

26 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I play the AVX normally and love them. The only time I play another ball is when I did testing (Gamer and Maxfli Tour's). I still have a sleeve of Gamers and the full two dozen Maxfli's. I'll play whatever I'm testing as long as they work well for me until they are gone then go back to the AVX. But I will throw a day in with the AVX to continue comparison. Today was an AVX day.

I recall the Titleist fitter (MGS on-line/Zoom) mentioned the AVX as the option to the ProV1.  I think I'm on the line between these two as it relates to SS.  The AVX is described as low-launch/low spin and the V1 mid-launch/med spin.  Are the launch and spin characteristics through the bag, more off the tee, or irons?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

46 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My club is having an outing tomorrow and I wouldn't be able to get out and play my normal 8:00 am time. So I figured I would break tradition and play on Saturday. I was dreading a slower pace of play. I was completely wrong! I get to the course at 8:10, and look at the parking lot. My car is closest.

1428246308_ParkingLot.jpg.43a5ff94af9ba89b32b68a1504357357.jpg

One other person at the course and on the driving range. I had the course to myself on a Saturday prime time. The only groups I came across was when I was teeing off on 17 and they were coming up 11 and they started on 10. 

Played ok today another round of 70. One bogey and two birdies. Greens were a little slower today, they aerated last week (small hole type not needing a ton of sand) but our roller broke down so the greens were not rolled since early this week. They roll them three times a week.

So when I finished my round I looked over at the driving range thinking that would be packed and there were two Pro's giving lessons to two people and one person hitting balls. Nobody waiting to tee off. 

Range.jpg.179c27571f62335222b47bca2ae1f59b.jpg

Couldn't have asked for a better day. Weather was perfect and no one was on the course.

Tennessee hosting an early home game?  These are prime for playing two ball.  I use the opportunities to test balls side by side and play 36 holes in about half the total walking distance 👍

32 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Tennessee hosting an early home game?  These are prime for playing two ball.  I use the opportunities to test balls side by side and play 36 holes in about half the total walking distance 👍

This is my favorite time of year to play because of the effect of college football and the lack of others playing on Saturdays. I can listen to a game on the radio, I actually prefer it to watching. Unfortunately, I've been on dog sitting duty since my wife's quarantining after being in close contact with my mother-in-law. I was planning on hitting up the range, but now it's raining. 

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I recall the Titleist fitter (MGS on-line/Zoom) mentioned the AVX as the option to the ProV1.  I think I'm on the line between these two as it relates to SS.  The AVX is described as low-launch/low spin and the V1 mid-launch/med spin.  Are the launch and spin characteristics through the bag, more off the tee, or irons?

The low / low is talking about the driver. However I don't see that its trajectory is any lower in actual play. But it is long and checks up well on the greens. It will be a little straighter off the tee since the spin off the driver is lower. 

14 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The low / low is talking about the driver. However I don't see that its trajectory is any lower in actual play. But it is long and checks up well on the greens. It will be a little straighter off the tee since the spin off the driver is lower. 

I didn't notice any lower trajectory with it either and, before it ricochet off the tree and into the cosmos, it produced the longest drives of the day. I kind of like the sparkle yellow color.

33 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

Played Stone Creek in Oregon City yesterday and had one of my best starts ever. After making birdie on 13 I went to -7 thru 13. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it off and picked up a couple of bogies coming home and finished at -4 (68)

Not an easy track. Nice round!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My club is having an outing tomorrow and I wouldn't be able to get out and play my normal 8:00 am time. So I figured I would break tradition and play on Saturday. I was dreading a slower pace of play. I was completely wrong! I get to the course at 8:10, and look at the parking lot. My car is closest.

1428246308_ParkingLot.jpg.43a5ff94af9ba89b32b68a1504357357.jpg

One other person at the course and on the driving range. I had the course to myself on a Saturday prime time. The only groups I came across was when I was teeing off on 17 and they were coming up 11 and they started on 10. 

Played ok today another round of 70. One bogey and two birdies. Greens were a little slower today, they aerated last week (small hole type not needing a ton of sand) but our roller broke down so the greens were not rolled since early this week. They roll them three times a week.

So when I finished my round I looked over at the driving range thinking that would be packed and there were two Pro's giving lessons to two people and one person hitting balls. Nobody waiting to tee off. 

Range.jpg.179c27571f62335222b47bca2ae1f59b.jpg

Couldn't have asked for a better day. Weather was perfect and no one was on the course.

WTH??  Our parking lot was nearly empty too... maybe a dozen cars, but it was raining and the wind was blowing.  The only golfers there were the "usual suspects".

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

35 minutes ago, DPattGolf said:

Played Stone Creek in Oregon City yesterday and had one of my best starts ever. After making birdie on 13 I went to -7 thru 13. Unfortunately I couldn't finish it off and picked up a couple of bogies coming home and finished at -4 (68)

Great score!!  I found the back nine... well, quite challenging and requiring some course knowledge.  

Have you made it over to see the Ladies at the Cambia Classic in West Linn??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well, we got some rain today.  Started right at our 7:35am tee time.  Just a drizzle all morning with wind about 15 mph.  

I played with my wife and 2 other ladies from the Red, or as my wife says, the "Chick tees".  Several reasons:  the weather, so we could all play together, and I wanted to work on short and mid-irons into the greens.  I've been working on Monte videos on ball striking in my hitting bay at home, and I wanted to see if I could bring it to the course.  Usually when I play the Blue or White tees, I'm hitting long clubs into the greens.  I typically have about 6 GIR, even on a good scoring day.

Today I shot Even par on the front nine (one birdie/one bogey), and shot +1 on the back nine (one birdie/two bogeys) for a round of 73; one shot under my age!  It could have been much better; 3-putted twice, which I almost never do. The greens were punched on Tuesday and being wet, they were quite slow.  Didn't compensate.  I also had 14 GIR compared to my usual 6 GIR, so I had plenty of birdie chances.  

I was really happy with approach shots 8i through wedges; yes, could have been closer to the pin, but had no bad mis-hits.  Driver was so-so; started driving it better on the back nine.  On #13 one of the ladies who is 20 years younger than I am and a former hockey player, hit a great drive.  She always outdrives me.  The other lady asked if I was going to beat that, and I said "Probably not."  I put a good swing on the ball and got it higher in the air than I have all day... and it was into the wind!!  When we got to our balls, she said "Oh no!!"  I had her by 2 feet; at which time I used my favorite quote from this scene in the movie "RED".......

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Great round. The rounds that bring you back for more!

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well, we got some rain today.  Started right at our 7:35am tee time.  Just a drizzle all morning with wind about 15 mph.  

I played with my wife and 2 other ladies from the Red, or as my wife says, the "Chick tees".  Several reasons:  the weather, so we could all play together, and I wanted to work on short and mid-irons into the greens.  I've been working on Monte videos on ball striking in my hitting bay at home, and I wanted to see if I could bring it to the course.  Usually when I play the Blue or White tees, I'm hitting long clubs into the greens.  I typically have about 6 GIR, even on a good scoring day.

Today I shot Even par on the front nine (one birdie/one bogey), and shot +1 on the back nine (one birdie/two bogeys) for a round of 73; one shot under my age!  It could have been much better; 3-putted twice, which I almost never do. The greens were punched on Tuesday and being wet, they were quite slow.  Didn't compensate.  I also had 14 GIR compared to my usual 6 GIR, so I had plenty of birdie chances.  

I was really happy with approach shots 8i through wedges; yes, could have been closer to the pin, but had no bad mis-hits.  Driver was so-so; started driving it better on the back nine.  On #13 one of the ladies who is 20 years younger than I am and a former hockey player, hit a great drive.  She always outdrives me.  The other lady asked if I was going to beat that, and I said "Probably not."  I put a good swing on the ball and got it higher in the air than I have all day... and it was into the wind!!  When we got to our balls, she said "Oh no!!"  I had her by 2 feet; at which time I used my favorite quote from this scene in the movie "RED".......

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nice round Martha... err, umm, Kenny 😆.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Nice round Martha... err, umm, Kenny 😆.

Thanks a lot... Bill.  It was interesting playing from there.  On several holes I had no idea what line or club to use off the tee.  In the end I just used driver for all par 4 and 5 holes, except for the drivable par 4 #14 where I used my 3H.  On the par 5 #18 hole the lady that hits longer than me said she uses her 3W because her driver can reach the water at the dogleg.  I said, "Well then I can't reach it!"  🤣  Hit a perfect drive to the middle of the fairway at the dogleg.  Since I never get to go for the green in two shots, I tried it.  Flushed my 3H, all carry over water and bunker; came up short in the sand.  However, I got up and down for sandy birdie!!

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Thanks a lot... Bill.  It was interesting playing from there.  On several holes I had no idea what line or club to use off the tee.  In the end I just used driver for all par 4 and 5 holes, except for the drivable par 4 #14 where I used my 3H.  On the par 5 #18 hole the lady that hits longer than me said she uses her 3W because her driver can reach the water at the dogleg.  I said, "Well then I can't reach it!"  🤣  Hit a perfect drive to the middle of the fairway at the dogleg.  Since I never get to go for the green in two shots, I tried it.  Flushed my 3H, all carry over water and bunker; came up short in the sand.  However, I got up and down for sandy birdie!!

I have a sneaking hunch my Yuma gang is going to lobby for either me to move to the blue or them to the senior.  My rebuttal is that we all got a year older.  Playing from the women's tee would make club selection interesting.  Maybe I'll try it the next time the course is deserted. 

9 hours ago, Syks7 said:

After playing it I've decided (not because of my score)  that there should be a lot more courses like it in the world.  My beginner buddy had a fun time without being asked to perform shots that a beginner wouldn't have in their repertoire, he got to have a couple real birdie looks, make a par, and make a lot of short irons swings.  For me it was basically a short game practice all day.  I didn't have to pull a club north of the 4 iron all day and I only hit that once -- off the tee on the longest, 379 yard, par 4.

Often referred to as "executive course" layouts, and typically 9 holes, I've played a few over the years that are lots of fun. Most of the popular retirement and snowbird locations have these tracks.  Las Barrancas in Yuma has one they call an executive but it has tee positions that offer close to standard length too.  

Just now, fixyurdivot said:

Often referred to as "executive course" layouts, and typically 9 holes, I've played a few over the years that are lots of fun. Most of the popular retirement and snowbird locations have these tracks.  Las Barrancas in Yuma has one they call an executive but it has tee positions that offer close to standard length too.  

A gorgeous Geoffrey Cornish executive course layout in Middleton, Massachusetts folded a couple of years ago, and that really disappointed me a lot.  It was maintained beautifully, it was easy to walk,  and it was so much fun to play.   They used to have a really good pro shop, too.  I never bought a set  there, but I bought several single clubs and other gear.  The pro shop diminished in recent years as green grass pro shops have everywhere.

At one time they had a lady teaching pro there who was almost able to teach me how to chip instead of lobbing the ball everywhere.

Anyway, nothing lasts forever, but we had some fun shootouts there and i miss it.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

34 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I had a par three course near me when I lived in CT. A real par three. No mats, and the lengths ranged from 100 yards to 250 yards. There were even a few water holes and elevation changes. To me that is the best way to work on your short game. It was so much fun to play. We even had our work league there. 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

34 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I had a par three course near me when I lived in CT. A real par three. No mats, and the lengths ranged from 100 yards to 250 yards. There were even a few water holes and elevation changes. To me that is the best way to work on your short game. It was so much fun to play. We even had our work league there. 

I learned on a little par 33 here in LA, but while that little course has a place in y heart it's so heavily traveled that it's pretty beat up. This is the first time I've run across a full 18 executive, which, despite the clear heavy traffic was in pretty good shape.  I did fix a half dozen pitch marks on every green, but thats kind of normal for LA unless you get onto a private track.    It was such an enjoyable experience that I told my buddy that I'd play there with him any time he wants, and that if he wanted and that it was an excellent place to learn/practice.   I'm also going to bring my daughter out there when she gets big enough to actually play.  It's a great learner course for kids because of the yardages.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Yep....when I lived in Fargo ND, there was a great little par 3 that was excellent for working on iron play.  I used to play that quite often just as a way to work on approach shots and short game.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Where in CT?  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Was striking the ball pretty well on the front 9 but then fell apart pretty early on, on the back 9. Don't know what happened really, my head just wasn't it or something. It wasn't just my golf game. I flipped my electric cart over twice on the back 9, had never done that before. Maybe because I didn't have any snacks today during my round or something. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

Where in CT?  

East Lyme was where the course was. Called Cedar Ridge. 

5 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

East Lyme was where the course was. Called Cedar Ridge. 

Not familiar with that course.  Initially I thought you may have been referring to the now gone Canton GC.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list