Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

On 12/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, Ben_Howell34 said:

Played Ross Bridge in Birmingham yesterday, had a great deal going so took advantage. Was a little damp and misting rain first couple holes but around 70* so not that bad. 

Only got 16 in due to a cutoff time with family and the two groups in front of us being so slow, but played pretty well, was +11. Given the conditions and how tough the course is usually, I was happy with that. Finished it off with a 30 footer for birdie from off the green, so that’ll keep me coming back! 

You are making it sound not as impressive on your 30+ birdie. I’d say it was 50-60+ footer off the green up and over a hill left to right break with perfect speed falling into the hole. It was a great way to finish the day.

Cobra Connect 5 participant 

:ping-small:  G410 Plus, w/ X stiff 75 g Project X Evenflow Black shaft driver / :cobra-small: Radspeed w/ Smoke RDX Blue 70S shaft

:cobra-small: Big Tour 3 wood/ 5 wood w/ Fujikura X F3 60S shaft

:cobra-small: 4 Hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 80S shaft

:cobra-small: Copper MIM Tour Irons w/ KBS $ Taper Balck 120S shaft

:cobra-small: Snakebite 50, 54, and 58 wedges w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S shaft

:scotty-small: Newport 2.5 putter

:Snell:MTB X golf balls

RH, Alabama

9 hours ago, Mtbryant01 said:

You are making it sound not as impressive on your 30+ birdie. I’d say it was 50-60+ footer off the green up and over a hill left to right break with perfect speed falling into the hole. It was a great way to finish the day.

I didn’t want to oversell it, as I couldn’t remember it perfectly. I will say it was probably 40%/60% rough/green. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

We has a little snow on the ground the last couple of days, but it melted off today and the course opened.  My wife and I went to walk 9 holes after the frost delay.  We were paired with two great guys in a covered cart with a heater.  No real warmup and we played from the senior White tees.  I was +3 after 3 holes, but after I missed a par putt on #5, I parred 6, 7, 8, 9 and the extra holes 10 and 11... so +4 over 11 holes.  If we played further, we would be committed to finish 18, and I wasn't sure if we could finish before dark.  

Driver worked well today except for a skank on #2.  Putting was better than usual for not practicing before teeing off.  Made several nice par saves.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

There was a small isolated tornado today. So small it was confined to the inside of my house. I got up this morning went down to make some breakfast, looked at the weather on my phone and the weather was going to be sunny and in the 50's. I ran back upstairs, showered, dressed for golf. Ran down two flights of stairs to get to the basement to get my clubs. Grabbed a drink to take on the course. Ran out to the car and took off. I think the curtains in the living room were still moving as I drove down the driveway.

Three weeks of rainy weekends can make a golfer do some strange things. Never even said good bye to the family as I breezed by.

On to the important stuff. No warm up, right to the first tee. Played decent. All drives were in the fairway. A few approaches were short but not very short. Maybe a yard off the green at most. One was in a bunker but made a good bunker shot for a sand save. We have 52 bunkers, so only being in one was a plus. The greens were very fast, very fast. Not what I expected them to be.  No three putts, which was good considering the speed of the greens. Took a hole or two to adapt. I didn't keep score but it felt good to be out playing. I played a yellow ball today as it shows up better against the dormant grass. 

Was a little disappointed with what's going on though. The course superintendent marked 50 trees for removal. Said that it would allow the greens to get more air flow and be healthier. Well they started taking some down over the past few weeks. It's taking away from some of the beauty of the course in my opinion. On a couple of holes it was shocking. I talked to the pro after and expressed my displeasure about the amount of trees removed from around the greens. A few were definitely necessary but some holes now look like a links course. Guess I'll have a new course by spring.

It's amazing how crazy we get after long periods of not being able to play. I'm glad the small tornado did no damage to your house as you were bolting out the door. 

I think it's as they are removing trees from your course, as I think it takes away from the aesthetic and some of the challenge your course presents. 

Finally, I'd suggest being wary of those yellow balls...they seem to like lounging in the sand and going for the occasional swim. 

Not particularly well today.  48 on 9 holes.  There's just something about the pressure you put on yourself when you play with your father in law.  Still great fun but it left me missing my equipment.  Particularly my putter.  Felt like I didn't have a trustworthy club to lean on to get back into the groove aside from the mizuno 54 that was lights out for me.  I'd like to blame the equipment but it was really just me today.  My iron play was poor and my upper and lower half felt out of sync.  I just didn't strike the ball well most of the day

Driver--  the old Callaway warbird did its job though I couldn't shape it or really get it to go.  Maybe had to do with the retread provs I pulled out of the bag?  It never hurt me so pretty okay with it.

Woods and hybrids -- not bad considering they were loaners.  Again I had a lot of trouble with distance on good strikes.

irons -- I played mx 300s today and was awful with them.  My swing wasn't good today.  Felt like tempo was way off with the irons.  Approach just burned me all day.

Wedge -- the high point of the round.  This should have saved me on multiple holes but for suspect putting.

Putter-- I miss my betti like I miss a warm blanket.  I wasn't awful but I also wasn't picking off 6-8 footers at the percentage I know I can.  Dropped a single putt from outside 8' and three putted twice.  

I think I'm going to ship Stix my clubs out here next time.  This is a challenging course for me but I'd like to play it with clubs I know yardage on, am comfortable with, and can play at my best ability with.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

18 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

Not particularly well today.  48 on 9 holes.  There's just something about the pressure you out on yourself when you play with your father in law.  Still great fun but it left me missing my equipment.  Particularly my putter.  Felt like I didn't have a trustworthy club to lean on to get back into the groove aside from the mizuno 54 that was lights out for me.  I'd like to blame the equipment but it was really just me today.  My iron play was poor and my upper and lower half felt out of sync.  I just didn't strike the ball well most of the day

Driver--  the old Callaway warbird did its job though I couldn't shape it or really get it to go.  Maybe had to do with the retread provs I pulled out of the bag?  It never hurt me so pretty okay with it.

Woods and hybrids -- not bad considering they were loaners.  Again I had a lot of trouble with distance on good strikes.

irons -- I played mx 300s today and was awful with them.  My swing wasn't good today.  Felt like tempo was way off with the irons.  Approach just burned me all day.

Wedge -- the high point of the round.  This should have saved me on multiple holes but for suspect putting.

Putter-- I miss my betti like I miss a warm blanket.  I wasn't awful but I also wasn't picking off 6-8 footers at the percentage I know I can.  Dropped a single putt from outside 8' and three putted twice.  

I think I'm going to ship Stix my clubs out here next time.  This is a challenging course for me but I'd like to play it with clubs I know yardage on, am comfortable with, and can play at my best ability with.  

I played with my father in law today too as well. My job was to find his ball in the bushes and then throw it back somewhere into the fairway for his next shot 😂. Also, when his ball was in the bunker, i hit it out for him. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

There was a small isolated tornado today. So small it was confined to the inside of my house. I got up this morning went down to make some breakfast, looked at the weather on my phone and the weather was going to be sunny and in the 50's. I ran back upstairs, showered, dressed for golf. Ran down two flights of stairs to get to the basement to get my clubs. Grabbed a drink to take on the course. Ran out to the car and took off. I think the curtains in the living room were still moving as I drove down the driveway.

Three weeks of rainy weekends can make a golfer do some strange things. Never even said good bye to the family as I breezed by.

On to the important stuff. No warm up, right to the first tee. Played decent. All drives were in the fairway. A few approaches were short but not very short. Maybe a yard off the green at most. One was in a bunker but made a good bunker shot for a sand save. We have 52 bunkers, so only being in one was a plus. The greens were very fast, very fast. Not what I expected them to be.  No three putts, which was good considering the speed of the greens. Took a hole or two to adapt. I didn't keep score but it felt good to be out playing. I played a yellow ball today as it shows up better against the dormant grass. 

Was a little disappointed with what's going on though. The course superintendent marked 50 trees for removal. Said that it would allow the greens to get more air flow and be healthier. Well they started taking some down over the past few weeks. It's taking away from some of the beauty of the course in my opinion. On a couple of holes it was shocking. I talked to the pro after and expressed my displeasure about the amount of trees removed from around the greens. A few were definitely necessary but some holes now look like a links course. Guess I'll have a new course by spring.

Not surprised about the trees.  I loved the course about 20 miles east of Knoxville, River Islands; think it's called something else now.  They had big fans around greens near the river.  Living in a desert climate, I'd never seen that before.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Not surprised about the trees.  I loved the course about 20 miles east of Knoxville, River Islands; think it's called something else now.  They had big fans around greens near the river.  Living in a desert climate, I'd never seen that before.

River Islands was sold twice in the past few years. It called Island Pointe Golf Club now. It's actually about 10 minutes from my company. I take customers that are in town for meetings there. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

8 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

River Islands was sold twice in the past few years. It called Island Pointe Golf Club now. It's actually about 10 minutes from my company. I take customers that are in town for meetings there. 

It is such a great layout through nature without seeing houses everywhere.  I've got to get back there again; maybe your get together next spring.

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

It is such a great layout through nature without seeing houses everywhere.  I've got to get back there again; maybe your get together next spring.

I'll try to get over there to check on the conditions. I haven't played there since the last purchase of the club and the start of Covid. I have off next week maybe I'll see if @sirchunksalot wants to meet  there and play. Next Tuesday is supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees. It about 1-1/4 hours for me and 1-1/2 for Jason.  Hint Hint Jason.

9 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I'll try to get over there to check on the conditions. I haven't played there since the last purchase of the club and the start of Covid. I have off next week maybe I'll see if @sirchunksalot wants to meet  there and play. Next Tuesday is supposed to be sunny and 70 degrees. It about 1-1/4 hours for me and 1-1/2 for Jason.  Hint Hint Jason.

Take some pictures!!  Oh yeah, Jason... take some water balls... Yellow ones!  🤣

13 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

That sounds like a fun idea! I'll run it by SWMBO to make sure she hasn't made any plans for me and I'll let you know. 

Played what would probably be the last round of golf this season.  It will also likely be the last time I play at my home course as it's pending sale to be turned into Amazon distribution centers. 😞

Shot 86 which isn't too bad.  This season has been up and down.  I got my handicap down to single digit for 3 months this season (below 9.5) which was a first.  I also got my second hole in one this season.  And finally, I shot my personal best of 75.    Since the 75 six months ago, it's been frustrating, probably due to higher expectation I'm putting on myself.   Ended the season at 12.5.

Will be working on putting and swing speed this off season.

pakman92

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

Friday Bacon Boyz this morning.  50*, no wind and plenty of hangovers from last nights party.  Note to Self, no Moonshine night B4 we play.

Anyway everyone played badly!  Greens were in great shape but couldn’t make a Birdie out, could be no one wanted any Fireball.  
Bad morning for me, 3 pars, 5 bogies & 1 double for a smooth plus 7😱  
We are not playing again until Monday. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

32 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Friday Bacon Boyz this morning.  50*, no wind and plenty of hangovers from last nights party.  Note to Self, no Moonshine night B4 we play.

Anyway everyone played badly!  Greens were in great shape but couldn’t make a Birdie out, could be no one wanted any Fireball.  
Bad morning for me, 3 pars, 5 bogies & 1 double for a smooth plus 7😱  
We are not playing again until Monday. 

@Yellow Ball said it was OK to blame him.  🤣

Played again today. I am happy to report that a yellow ball was in play for the round. The ball was not lost or damaged. Didn't want any crap from you know who.

I was surprised at the amount of people out on the course today. But I timed it well. Nobody was on the back so I went off there first. By the time I finished up on 18, the front was wide open. I was hitting the ball further today. The three week rain delay had me a little rusty yesterday. I did top my 3 wood once. It was a down hill, side hill fairway shot on a par 5.  But I put the 3rd shot on the green anyway,so no harm. I will say that my new Sub-70 hybrid is really working out well. The Cobra Amp has been retired to one of my other back up sets. The grounds crew were out rolling greens again. Yesterday they were very fast. Today closer to linoleum. Had a few one putts which was welcomed. If you missed a putt by an inch it could wind up 12 feet away on a few holes. I had one miss by less than an inch, it almost stopped dead then rolled all the way to the front of the green. Made the 10 footer going back. The course was still pretty wet in spots. Overall a fun day on the course. 

56 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Sounds good 😜

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Got it to the course today and walked 9 holes. Usually I'm a rider, but it was a beautiful day and the exercise will do me some good. Fortunately, the course has some push carts and I was able to roll in style with an Orlimar push cart probably from the early 2000's. 

20211224_123430-02.jpeg.63ec6ace519e90c1037e39093b8b00e4.jpeg

It was a bit windy today and I had several holes playing into the wind and that made it challenging. The sun came out about the time I got on to the fourth hole and was making me regret wearing a beanie instead of a cap. 

I shot 56 with 18 putts, which was a better round that the score implies. On the ninth, I ended up in a bunker that was a mess of footprints and it took three shots to get out of and when I did I skulled one over the green. I took a smooth 10 on that hole. 😱 I should have taken the ball out, but I was stubborn and didn't.

Driver was good, irons were better than normal, and the fairways and wedges were mental. I had a couple of shanks that didn't do me any favors. 

I spent a little time on the driving range before and after the round and realized afterward that I was falling into old habits of setting my wrist angles at the top of the backswing causing a lot of my strike issues. I started hitting some good shots after figuring that out. 

I was just happy to get out and enjoy the walk. 

8 hours ago, Rickp said:

Moonshine the night before golf is a recipe to potentially lose some of my family members. You definitely didn't shine on the course.

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

6 hours ago, Rickp said:

Sounds good 😜

Tis the season to be generous. You can blame me if it makes you feel better. I can take it.

Merry Christmas.

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Played again today. I am happy to report that a yellow ball was in play for the round. The ball was not lost or damaged. Didn't want any crap from you know who.

At least someone was looking out for my family!