TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

21 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

The tides started to turn yesterday for me. Got out for an early day 18 with a friend, we even played match play. The round started off odd, great drive followed by my second shot going OB in to the river getting pushed away by the wind but I saved par with a good chip And 1 putt. The rest of the day picked up from their with 5 pars on the front finishing with 4 pars alone on the front 9. Unfortunately I had a triple bogey on the 5th hole because I had a hard time getting out of the bunker, my one downfall yesterday. But a 41 on the front is solid The back went pretty good, I slapped the ball around a bit in the 560 yard par 5 and ended up chipping in from 20 yards for a par save the close out my match, it was a sweet shot and the ball just barely trickled in the cup at the end, plus you could hear the ball hit the bottom of the cup which was cool.    It wasn’t until 14-17 where I just played sloppy, shanking one off the tee box and going OB again. +3 through the holes. Hit a fantastic tee shot on 17 the par 3,  crazy wind so it was playing close to 225. Hit a 4 iron to 45 feet and ended up 1 putting for birdie. Finished 18 with a par to finish off the day. 39 on the back for a total of 80 for the day. Best stay of the day was 27 total putts. One of my best putting performances, the practice paid off!  11/14 fairways hit and 7/18 greens, except 4 times I left it short just in the front center of the fringe. So I’d like to say it was 11/18. Just a fantastic day, really was pleased with all the practice I’ve been putting in and how I played. I really tried to focus on playing station to station golf. Fairway-green in reg- 1/2 putt. I even went back to my old scoring ways where I kept track of all my statistics which I think helped keep me in line 

I also forgot to mention that because I had a triple bogey and my handicap was a 9, it was adjusted to a double and I shot 79. It doesn’t seem right breaking 80 that way🤷🏼‍♂️

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 5/25/2022 at 2:55 PM, BostonSal said:

My game has been atrocious thus far this spring.  I can't get loose.  I'm sore all over.

After sixty years on the course, I may finally be done.

But I'm paid up for the year, so I'm still trying.

Lately, though, I've enjoyed the meeting up early for breakfast more than the actual playing.

Maybe some seriously hot weather will get me going.  I've always played my best on the scorchers.

Too soon to throw in the towel, but late enough to have to think about it.

Even the pros go through that phase.  I read that Justin Thomas felt that way about 2 years ago.

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Blue 55 R

Callaway 4+ Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 65 R

Callaway 5 Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

Callaway Heavenwood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4 (22*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 5 (25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

Went for an MRI this morning.  I hate those so much.  I feel like a cartridge in a rifle chamber.

They played Sinatra to calm me down.

Last time they played Coltrane and it only got me agitated.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

17 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

Went for an MRI this morning.  I hate those so much.  I feel like a cartridge in a rifle chamber.

I hope you are talking about Frank to calm you down, Nancy would have just agitated me. 😆

As for Coltrane, maybe in an MRI it might be a bit much, but man that man could blow sounds from the sax that most other players can dare to emulate.  He was a true legend.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

2 hours ago, BostonSal said:

I got the Eagles & my MRI.  Wasn’t bad!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I got the Eagles & my MRI.  Wasn’t bad!

You guys got music? Man I got shafted for mine, just that damn ubereable gun shot sound and clicking……

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Sounds like a great choice in music, can't go wrong with the Eagles. I hope the MRI went well. 

It was a while ago and it did. That Imaging Co had a choice at the time, Eagles or Pink Floyd.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 5/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, chisag said:

... 👍  Not only a good play for higher index players struggling with their driver but a good idea for anyone to play a round without a driver every now and then. Some of us rarely have an opportunity to hit a 3 wood and it is easy to get out of practice and/or loose some confidence so a round using only a 3 wood can really help with consistency and confidence. 

If I didn't use my driver, I would easily add 10 strokes to my round.  I doubt I could break 90.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

26 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

What I would like to know is WHY I was hitting generally good solid shots on the front nine, but at #10 and every hole on the back nine, I struggled with shots that have been very typical of my play over the last couple of months.  If I hadn't saved some pars and those bogeys, it could have been a lot worse.  I had a good swing, then lost it.  Welcome to golf!!

If we knew WHY we wouldn't do this ourselves.   I've been hitting it well for most holes the last few times I have played and then I through in a hole or two where I completely forget how to swing.    i guess that is just how golf works.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If I didn't use my driver, I would easily add 10 strokes to my round.  I doubt I could break 90.

... Have you ever tried it? You might be surprised. It is just a drill and unless you are struggling with your driver or 3 wood no need to even try this drill other than a quest for knowledge. Just keep in mind the 3 wood is the most difficult club to hit consistently from the fairway and hitting it off the tee can often leave another 3 wood to the green so it can be a great drill for a practice round. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 5/28/2022 at 3:40 PM, cnosil said:

If we knew WHY we wouldn't do this ourselves.   I've been hitting it well for most holes the last few times I have played and then I through in a hole or two where I completely forget how to swing. 

... Most of us have either tendencies or outright swing flaws. I know my body tends to ignore commands from my brain when my back is stiff or uncooperative and just goes about protecting my back at the expense of a proper turn and free release. I have played well on the front only to have any backs stiffin on the 2nd 9 or start out with a stiff back and have it loosen up as I play. Even when I feel good, muscle memory of a back protected swing can pop up at any time and derail a shot. 

... But many have swing flaws that take some correction during the swing and when your corrections are working, the swing can feel pretty good. But one little non correction can send you into a tailspin as they can all collapse like pulling the wrong Jenga piece. The simpler the swing the better and one of the reason I love Bens swing because not only is he an accomplished player having played at a high level under pressure, there are no corrections with his very simple but powerful swing. Sure he can hit bad shots or play poorly on any given day but I doubt he ever feels like he has lost his swing during a round. 

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Have you ever tried it? You might be surprised. It is just a drill and unless you are struggling with your driver or 3 wood no need to even try this drill other than a quest for knowledge. Just keep in mind the 3 wood is the most difficult club to hit consistently from the fairway and hitting it off the tee can often leave another 3 wood to the green so it can be a great drill for a practice round. 

I never hit my 3W off the tee; no need to.  My driver is as straight (usually) as any other club in my bag and trouble is not in play.    If I used my 3W off the tee, I would not be able to get to four par 4's and three par 5's in regulation, assuming I hit the 3W reasonably well twice on each par 4 and 3 times on the Par 5's... and that's from the senior tees!!  I played one tee back from the senior tees until this spring.  I moved up.

I agree that a 3W is a difficult club the hit off the fairway, but my recent purchase of the Callaway Epic Max 3W has made that shot a lot easier for me.  I typically hit it 4-5 times a round.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/27/2022 at 8:59 PM, EasyPutter said:

It is all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest!

True to Western NY weather, don't like the weather wait an hour, or four today as it was clearing at noontime and by mid afternoon sunny with drying conditions, Cazenovia GC was open but no carts were being let out so fewer golfers and only the 8th fairway was closed so they had everyone go from the 7th green back to the 5th tee, play 5th and then over to finish on 9 for a full 9-holes.  Great solution to enable golfers despite a drainage problem caused it is believed by a repair made to rebuild an embankment next to the 6th green with huge blocks of rock necessary in the snowmelt flooding at the end of winter 2021 when a raging Cazenovia Creek eroded its steep bank where it turns there. 

Story as the course employees tell it, the trucks carrying the rock had to travel across a gravel service road that crosses the 8th fairway were believed to have crushed drainage tile in that area with their weight causing pronounced flooding nowadays when it gets heavy rain.  The fairway resembles a series of pothole water hazards where it should be rolling grass.  This is also where I was testing the Decathlon Inesis waterproof golf shoes last year (link in my signature) and I am still wearing those shoes daily for golf, still walking through puddles up to ankle deep, they still have a good sole and excellent traction, still look great, and still keep my feet dry after 12 months and over 100 rounds of golf and most of that walking.  My partner was laughing at me again today going through the standing water while he was making his way around on the higher ground LOL

1064770704_Afterseason4washedbottom800.jpg.0e003d6056c89d9c2e27913000658d98.jpg

Oh yeah, played as well as Monday and Tuesday bringing it in with a 47 for 9 holes, right about on my handicap 👍

Fricken love those shoes. Walked right through a 2" deep spot of standing water on the course earlier today and didn't even get a hint of dampness through to my socks.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

On 5/26/2022 at 3:40 PM, chisag said:

... 👍  Not only a good play for higher index players struggling with their driver but a good idea for anyone to play a round without a driver every now and then. Some of us rarely have an opportunity to hit a 3 wood and it is easy to get out of practice and/or loose some confidence so a round using only a 3 wood can really help with consistency and confidence. 

I need to do this after my last round. Realized I’m decent off the tee with driver. The rest of my clubs are a crap shoot. Something to do my next round or two to get some more practice 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 5/29/2022 at 7:19 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Weird two Tims, a Tom and an Allen

... At first I thought that was good title for a movie "Weird two Tims, a Tom and an Alien" then later in your post realized it was Allen. 👾  I love playing with golfers better than me, as I always learn something and always appreciate excellent play. Every now and then I come out ahead like the tortoise playing the hare but only because I play my game and do not try and keep up and they run into some trouble. Most of the time I just enjoy the company of a really good player and enjoy watching how they go about it. 

... When I played with that mini tour guy qualifying for the Phoenix open I shot 2 under on the front while he shot 7 under. He missed an eagle putt and a 7 foot birdie putt that would have put him at an almost inconceivable 9 under for 9 holes and usually out drove me by 75 yds or more. My normal playing pards that shoot around 85-90 rounded out our foursome and one of them said "Now you know how we feel". 🤪  

Shot a 47 yesterday afternoon while playing 9 with my son at Whaling City Golf Course. Not the best driving day on my end, and I left two par putts an inch or two short which bugged me. But the weather was beautiful and it was quality dad/son time. He's gonna need yet ANOTHER new pair of golf shoes with the way he's still growing 🤣

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Well.............😏

We had a tee time at 11:00 on Sunday. We got there and the place was full to the point of parking was almost impossible. There was an outing that no one told us about when making the tee time. That's why we couldn't get an earlier time.

We were told it was no problem and we should be just fine because the groups were on their last holes. The front went well and we finished in an hour or so. We made the turn and there was the 2 guys that were ahead of us teeing off on 10. But... there was 2 guys and a woman with a baby waiting in front of us... WTF! I doubt that these guys had ever played golf before. They were on their hands and knees puting tees in the ground. Both of them shanked their shots dead right about 20'... 3 times!

We decided to just play the front again, but just as we turned around to go to #1 there were 3 groups in the outing lined up to finish. Ummm.... you told us the outing was finishing just as we were teeing off??? 

Anyway, we played 9 holes and went back in and got a raincheck for the other 9. He told us that the 2 guys and woman must have played through to be in front of us...lol.  Sure, ok. Never mind neither of them could even put a tee in the ground, but yea... they played through 🤣.

I don't know how we keep having these weird situations every time we play🤔.

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I got out to play nine today and I was really excited to be taking the Mizuno's out on their maiden voyage around the course. I shot a 52, which was the best score I've had in a long time. It could have been better, but I had lost tee shots on 5 and 9. Overall, it was a great day. I had fun getting out and playing the new irons. 

... Congrats. Sounds like you are off to a great start with your new irons! 🤗

Today, we had a "Battle of the Sexes" match play. -- guys against the gals.  3 foursomes teed off this morning and 4 more this afternoon.  I played in the morning group and had to give 13 strokes to my opponent.  I didn't play particularly well (very poorly actually), but won 4 and 3.  I was the only male that won a match in the morning groups (6 matches).  the other 8 matches just started a bit ago.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Buzzed out of work early for a quick 9 holes at the local par-34 course. Wasn't a particularly fantastic round - 4/7 fairways and 5/9 greens for a 40.

Made a few notable swing thought changes though that had noticeable results. The first was with my long irons - I watched the TXG video with Mac Boucher the other day talking about compression, so I was focusing on having my club face pointing at the ground when the shaft is parallel on the takeaway. On the first hole I played for my usual cut, and hit a 185-yard 6-iron dead straight 40 yards left of the green. I'll take it though!

I've been struggling mightily lately with keeping my driver in play (I've only used it a handful of times in the last few rounds, feels like a 60% chance of going OB whenever I use it) but while watching back on some videos of when I was driving the ball better I realized that I needed to be starting my downswing earlier - before my clubhead got to the top of my backswing. Focusing on my sequencing like that led to 2 drives that, although they weren't perfect, were definitely playable and have me feeling confident moving forward.

We'll see if those improvements translate to this afternoon's round!

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS