Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

39 minutes ago, JerryB said:

Owen and I got out to Byron yesterday to play Prairie View for the first time.  Probably the best course I've ever played.  Definitely the toughest, and the most well maintained.  Its a municipal course but they've got plenty of money from the nearby nuclear plant.  Greens were hard, undulating, and way faster that anything I'm used to.  Couldnt putt to save my life.

Overall I played poorly, even by my standards.  Course was busy and we were waiting on every tee box.  Pace of play was actually decent (we finished in under 4.5 hours) but its slower than we're used to and it really affected me personally.  Just couldnt get into a rhythm.  My tee shots traveled but were wayward.  Whether I used driver or 3 wood, they were mostly leaky right.  My second shots were mostly abysmal; lots of chunks.  Not a flat piece of land outside the tee boxes. 

Lost six balls; probably could have found a few of them but I was overly worried about holding up the group behind us even though we had groups in front of us too.  It's a mental thing that I really need to do better about.  I never settled in and took the time for pre shot and pre putt routines. 

Irons are still coming along.  While my aim and setup is better, I now have a tendency to hook them to the left.  But overall they weren't the liability they've been recently.  Owen had recently re-gripped them for me and it has made a big difference. 

I played 51/53 104 (+31) and Owen shot upper 90s.  Despite my miserable time we loved the place and would like to get out there again.  Definitely a challenge we need to conquer!

View from one of the holes:

IMG_20220605_141450101.jpg.5dc8b21d421a3759cec6d1f7b47bcc99.jpg

Glad to see the plant is still running!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

Man you got me beat. I've been playing summer golf here since highschool (I'm 43) and anything north of 110° I say no sir! That said, 110°+ in windy conditions and no humidity, you're basically playing golf in a microwave. That's a HARD pass right there! 

I know the humidity isn't fun either and would definitely take the dry heat but there is still a hard line where a good time and bat $hit crazy are standing nose to nose. 😜

... Keep in mind I have only one spent one full summer here so the 110-118 is still kinda new to me. I also join The Raven in summer that is completely tree lined with plenty of shade. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

19 hours ago, chisag said:

... You are welcome to come down and join me this week. Has your yellow color ever melted off during a round?

Weather.png.5333e360636560513a08a06af5c1da83.png

I learned my lesson last season. HARD PASS..... My dimples are a little deeper from the sun blisters that peeled off from wedge shots.  SPF 50 won't even help,  the horror, the horror!  

On 6/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

The last 36 holes I played it seems like the pins are on knobs or the cup is all mounded up.

On 6/4/2022 at 5:26 PM, Rickp said:

Most pin/hole placements are that way with little Volcanoes around them.  I believe the workers don’t know proper procedures.

It's that plus the pins may not have been moved for a few days - the concentration of a *lotta* foot prints right around the edges of the cup help to tamp down the ground in a circle .. enhancing the volcano effect... 😞

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

7 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

It's that plus the pins may not have been moved for a few days - the concentration of a *lotta* foot prints right around the edges of the cup help to tamp down the ground in a circle .. enhancing the volcano effect... 😞

... And if you just keep 1-2 feet from the hole this doesn't occur. I am always surprised by how many step right next to the hole to retrieve their ball. 

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... And if you just keep 1-2 feet from the hole this doesn't occur. I am always surprised by how many step right next to the hole to retrieve their ball. 

Yeah, maybe even chalk out a 1 ft circle around the hole! And then casual players can use that as their no argument gimme zone 🤪

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

19 hours ago, chisag said:

NO wind at all and after 13 I called it a day and joined my boys in the ocean. 

Now that was "smart golf" that day!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Yeah, maybe even chalk out a 1 ft circle around the hole! And then casual players can use that as their no argument gimme zone 🤪

Can’t blame that on Bacon Boyz, they have “good size circle of friends “.  Don’t need a hole with a few of them!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

3 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Right that's a big reason I switched golf courses this year. I couldn't deal with pins that got moved twice a week at best. I'd play Sat & Sun and have the pin both days. I know country clubs move pins at least every other day, if not every day, and I understand that not every public course has those resources. But pins should be set on Sat, Sun, and Tue or Wed at least 3 times per week.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Scored poorly, played okay, but had to fight my old swing all day.  Not sure what the deal was but I was fighting OTT all day long.  That combined with some mediocre focus and a few bad decisions led to 46/46  92.  I just wasn't in it today. 

Still, it was a gorgeous day at Rustic and I managed to par 14 & 16.  Two big time nemesis holes for me so definitely not all bad.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

Glad that you were able to get some holes in Jason.......................... we have been dodging raindrops all this past weekend, and it is in the forecast for every day this week. Very nice pictures.

I am hoping that one night after work to get to the range if it isn't raining, and plan to get on the course again on Sunday 

Edited by rkj427
spelling error

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

7 minutes ago, rkj427 said:

Glad that you were able to get some holes in Jason.......................... we have been dodging raindrops all this past weekend, and it is in the forecast for every day this week. Very nice pictures.

I am hoping that one night after work to get to the range if it isn't raining, and plant to get on the course again on Sunday 

Thank you, Robert! I was actually surprised it rained, the forecast said there was about a 15% chance...and we hit it. Hopefully it'll clear up for you soon and you'll be able to get out. 

38 (+2, net -2)

2/7 FIR, 4/9 GIR, 15 putts

League tonight I played really well all around - wasn't too far off an all timer!

Was really solid off the tee. Even though I only hit two fairways, I was barely off on a few others and most importantly had no penalties. Approach game was really solid as well. Putting was actually even hotter than it seemed. I was lagging really well, and burnt 3 edges with perfect speed that I thought for sure would drop. 

Really happy with where my game is at the moment!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

10 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Played in a scramble that I participate in every year which allows children in third world countries get the medical treatment needed normally not available in their area.  It's held at the Links at Gettysburg, a beautiful links style course with lots of elevation changes on the front and lots of water on the back, LOL.  Last year my team shot a -9 where the winning score was -16.  This year, we shot -14 and the winning score was -18, LOL.  We left a few out there and could of made -18 if we just hit our approach shots closer.  A lot of times we were making long putts for birdie or to save par.  Highlights included eagles on 4 out of the 5 par 5s (birdied the other par 5), sinking some long putts for a few more birds and saving par in some instances and one of the guys on my team driving the green on a par 4 and almost driving the green on the long drive hole (368 yards to the center of the green and he was only 15 yards from the front of the green). Dude was a beast!  Best part was helping those kids out and enjoying a great day out on the links!

PXL_20220607_000306474.jpg.6c2cd90a774a4efd8478eb7b0b44c5d9.jpg

PXL_20220607_000315581.jpg.76ba82ee24deadf206e1ca5b3a2a2d2f.jpg

Charity Scrambles can be a lot of fun & rewarding 👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

36 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Charity Scrambles can be a lot of fun & rewarding 👍

Yes they can.  It was a gorgeous day out and I was just living in the moment.  Didn't care what we shot (even though we came in 3rd with another team that also shot -14), just out with my neighbor and his cousin enjoying the day.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

11 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Still contemplating whether I want to call my partner out for under reporting his handicap, it seems that he never puts any of his scores in, only adding the good ones 

I post ALL eligible scores.

Having said that, I'm eager to post the bad rounds. The good ones... I have to recheck the math to make sure it's right first. You can't rush accuracy.

Mostly :taylormade-small: ITB. SIMMs, P790s...etc

Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze, Gretchen?

42 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

Today was supposed to be an outing with my regular partners to Chautauqua Golf Club playing the Hill Course, but the weather forecast turned out exactly as predicted, continuous rain throughout the day.  Not their favorite but it was just rain so I kept my day off work and played on! 

1729851829_6.7.20221stgreenrainywetday.JPG.b5158bf929ca7bb9c6a2b2eb0d6d60f0.JPG

My solution for how to stay dry despite driving persistent rain with a golf cart, for a no-hands approach bungee cords are gold.  The course was mostly empty and a group of men a few holes ahead of me were the only ones who had not cancelled for the day.

14878713_6.7.20226thteerainshelterfromtheoutside.JPG.e9fbee41670213df018832009878ddb0.JPG

797341261_6.7.20226thteeinsidetherainshelter.JPG.382927a3856c183a653a2de5aaf784ef.JPG

With nobody behind I took time to enjoy the day to include a sandwich lunch watching the soaking rain while staying dry. It reminded me of one vacation picnic with my family when I was 8, we were on Cape Cod and a couple asked my parents if they could take a photo of us wearing our raincoats having a picnic in the rain saying people would not believe them if they didn't have one, and I am sure Mom and Dad were right there with me on top of the ridge by the 9th tee box of the Hill Course watching the curtains of rain passing by.

43284445_6.7.202212thteecoffeeandasandwich.JPG.1164ad7f68c04929f07dc0926f4474a7.JPG

1956299053_6.7.202216thteeTurkeys.JPG.81ddf28f503b12473f47c58206f1e6ce.JPG

There were some Turkeys on the 16th fairway, of the feathered kind.

988345417_6.7.202217thTeesunshineclearingskies(2).JPG.5436e30ec4adfe4b51f76fa417d0f896.JPG

The sun did come out before I finished, for a little while and then rain did return as soon as I was ready to leave for home and it was soaking everything again. Don't ever put off what you want to do because now will never happen again.

48 front 9, 49 back 9, played from the white tees first time, have always played gold but now with a driver dialed in it is like a new game again only this time things are going where I want them to go!  97 for the day, Net 74 so very happy considering the conditions today 🌧️ 4 pars, 5 bogies, 7 doubles, and 2 triples :: 3 3-putts, 11 2-putts, 3 1-putts and 1 hole-out no putt for 34 total putts.  Might be I'm finally starting to get this game.

6.7.2022 6th tee rainy day joy.jpg

Love the Red-Green solution to the problem 👏.   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 6/6/2022 at 2:13 PM, Rickp said:

Can’t blame that on Bacon Boyz, they have “good size circle of friends “.  Don’t need a hole with a few of them!

Are these a couple of your Bacon Boyz??  🤣

image0.jpeg.ffd7b0c7ae370f573a741109b25524f2.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Right that's a big reason I switched golf courses this year. I couldn't deal with pins that got moved twice a week at best. I'd play Sat & Sun and have the pin both days. I know country clubs move pins at least every other day, if not every day, and I understand that not every public course has those resources. But pins should be set on Sat, Sun, and Tue or Wed at least 3 times per week.

We are a muni and are pins are moved Tue-Thu-Sat and Sun.  Fridays and Saturdays are our busiest golf days of the week.  They do a pretty good job most of the time... no volcanoes, but sometimes the holes are not always cut vertically.  My wife thinks that if one side of the inside of a hole is a little more visible, then the ball breaks... I know better!  🤣

4 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Well me and my partner finished 3rd last on Sunday from 8th on Saturday. We both shot a poor 90 on Sunday. I had the hex on me all day. I hit a beautiful drive on the par 5. I had 230 in to reach in 2 and 4 people from the maintenance partner came out to stand in the green. Of course I missed my shot off the toe it was a stinger and missed clearing the creek by an inch. It hit the rocks and came back 30 yards. Likely costing me a stroke or two. On 14 I drove the green 280ish. Missed my eagle putt for a skin by a foot. Caught every bunker lie in the corners where all the sand is currently hanging out. Just didn’t catch many breaks. Still contemplating whether I want to call my partner out for under reporting his handicap, it seems that he never puts any of his scores in, only adding the good ones 

I'd audition for a new partner.

3 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

Today was supposed to be an outing with my regular partners to Chautauqua Golf Club playing the Hill Course, but the weather forecast turned out exactly as predicted, continuous rain throughout the day.  Not their favorite but it was just rain so I kept my day off work and played on! 

... Not to sound like a broken record and I certainly remember bemoaning rainy springs in Chicago and wishing we could go a month without rain but it has not rained here since last October. 8 months without a drop and I would LOVE to have several rounds completely rained out. Golf Gods can be so evil.