TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

After a couple of weeks off, I got back to my league play and shot a 49 on a par 36 9 hole course. That is actually a great score for me and I won $9 in the skins game. And I only lost 1 ball to the water hazard. 😎

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

On 5/14/2022 at 5:28 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Oh wow, that sounds like fun. Be sure to take some pics and share 👍. So your goal should be to post a score that beats at least one PGA player on any of their rounds... from the amateur tee of course.

I did my homework. I have to shoot 80 to tie the worst round and 79 to achieve the goal. Teeing it up Tuesday afternoon at Southern Hills. Wish me luck it's supposed to be 94 degrees and sunny. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

19 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I did my homework. I have to shoot 80 to tie the worst round and 79 to achieve the goal. Teeing it up Tuesday afternoon at Southern Hills. Wish me luck it's supposed to be 94 degrees and sunny. 

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

2 hours ago, edingc said:

I continue to kill my rounds with poor tee play, though it has gotten a little better it seems. Anxiously waiting for my lesson Wednesday as my full swing has generally been really poor. My short game and putting are just saving me right now. It feels like I'm making more putts and converting more up-and-downs than ever before.

We're just the opposite ... my strength right now is off the tee box, fairway metals and hybrids, and iron play ... my short game tends to be keeping me from scoring well.  Although I'm putting fairly decently, they're longer putts that have a low percentage to make.  We should team up for a scramble!  LOL

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 6/9/2022 at 9:04 PM, azstu324 said:

But I've also been hit into on multiple occasions by the same group AND when the course is packed so nobody's going anywhere, that's when things get a lot less acceptable and a "look here bro" convo needed to be had. Doesn't happen very often but those people are out there in the world and unfortunately we have to cross paths from time to time. 

My wife has almost gotten clocked on the top of the head twice - on crowded public munis where a drive landed very uncomfortably close to her - and I had absolutely no problem walking back down the middle of the fairway to have "that" so totally unnecessary conversation (and I really am a very non-confrontational guy)......

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Owen and I played Tanna Farms in Geneva yesterday with our buddy Paul.  He was so close to hanging it up at the end of last season so we were very happy he came out with us.  I played there once last year and was terrible and Paul had never been there before.  Beautiful course.

First, the good news.  Paul started okay then started mis hitting everything and looked close to packing it in.  Owen and I started working on him (Owen giving him pointers and me mostly affirming and talking him up) and he bounced back with a par and several great iron shots and a solid drive.  Short story on Paul is that he used to be pretty good and a big hitter but someone offhandedly mentioned that his swing was ugly.  That got into Paul's head and he spiraled from there.  Anyway, Paul looks encouraged and we're all going to try for a range session soon.

Owen played okay but really put his game on the back burner to work with Paul.  I'm very proud of what he's becoming.

Now, the... also good news.  I broke 90 for the first time.  The whole "swing easy" idea really took hold this time and other than one wayward drive I was really good off the tee.  Long clubs were good with only one ugly chunk.  Even used a hybrid to putt from off a long green to just a few feet from the pin. 

Irons were good and I even hit my PW off a tee to three feet to the pin.  Coming right to left it just missed the ace.  My one birdie of the day.  Added four pars, two doubles and a triple.  Went 45/42 for 87 (+16).  Shot of the day was probably drive on 16 where I talked Paul into switching drivers and we both hit long and straight.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

1 hour ago, cjeffs12 said:

My driver is really killing me, the toe strikes just put me in bad spots and put a ton of pressure on my approach game, it may be on the chopping block soon.

I'm in the same boat.  I feel like most of the other elements of my game are helping.  I have been looking at max game improvement drivers so that I can keep it closer to the fairway.  I don't care if I lose some distance.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

I'm in the same boat.  I feel like most of the other elements of my game are helping.  I have been looking at max game improvement drivers so that I can keep it closer to the fairway.  I don't care if I lose some distance.

Same! I switched from a Ping to the Sim for more yards. Even if I give up 5-10 yards to be more accurate, if I'm not always in the trash, it would be worth it. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

Shot pretty well today, back to back birds on 11 and 12 will fix many things.

its nice when you’re fully warmed up and swinging free. That’s a place that’s harder and harder to get to, when you’re just getting older and older

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 5/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Had a great time playing yesterday with @BIG STU at his home course. We didnt keep score and we didn't play our best but had a fun time. I got to see some of Stu's vintage clubs make their way in and out of the bag and I did manage to show Stu what my new driver can do. The weather behaved this time and we got all 18 in. Great to get out with a fellow Spy. It was also nice to have a course tour guide to tell me where to hit, which holes to club up on and such. The course had great layout but did need a little TLC. But value for the money was killer. It helps to know people who know people. The course owners took care of us. 

Stu decided that walking the course with his Motocaddy would not be in the cards in his future and since I did show a lot of interest during testing he decided to give it to me with the cart bag as well. That was totally out of the blue and shows that kind of guy he is. I was pretty floored with his generosity and he didn't want anything in return. He just wanted a fellow spy to use it.

So I might be late to the testing party for this item but be sure that I will either do my review in the comments or unofficial review area. I am looking foward to seeing how this baby will do in the  mountains of Tennessee. That was my concern back while the official tests were going on. Maybe this will take off the last 5 pounds I'm looking to shed. 

Thanks again Stu

On 5/26/2022 at 5:37 AM, BIG STU said:

The pleasure was all mine.  Guys that driver is a weapon in his hands and so is his 3 wood. 

The owners and staff at our course are amazing people and they would have treated you and Tim the same way had you not been with or even known me. Yeah I love the place more for the people and atmosphere but I love the course layout. It is nice when you can play a course and not only know the staff and members but residents along the course as well. 

On the Motocaddy I felt I had not properly gave it a good test even though I tried. It did help me tremendously on my back rehab. Giving it to Tom will put it from one extreme to the other. What I did here was just part of my make up. I have only done 3 tests simply because newer stuff does not appeal to me and I do not want to take away from someone that would actually use the equipment. Of the 3 tests I have done I kept the Precision Pro Range finder and still use it today. The Renegar wedges I stored for a while and then gave them to a guy I know. I am glad Tom will use and further test the Motocaddy. He says he needs to lose 5 lbs but I can not see where but I will defer that to him.

Man, I wish I could’ve joined you two (and Tom’s BIL) out there. I’m still not able to play yet, and Tom was here what? 3 weeks ago? This sciatica is kicking my butt. Every time I think it’s getting better, it flares right back up. I’m supposed to be a tester for a putter that’s arriving Wednesday, and right now I’m wondering how I’m going to pull that off. 🙄

I’m glad you two had a good time, and Stu, good on you for showing Tom some Southern hospitality! BTW did you boys hit up the Masters or Dollhouse? 😂

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

1 minute ago, Grand Stranded said:

Man, I wish I could’ve joined you two (and Tom’s BIL) out there. I’m still not able to play yet, and Tom was here what? 3 weeks ago? This sciatica is kicking my butt. Every time I think it’s getting better, it flares right back up. I’m supposed to be a tester for a putter that’s arriving Wednesday, and right now I’m wondering how I’m going to pull that off. 🙄

I’m glad you two had a good time, and Stu, good on you for showing Tom some Southern hospitality! BTW did you boys hit up the Masters or Dollhouse? 😂

😱

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Played yesterday in the sweltering Georgia heat and a tad hungover… needless to say I was shaky at best hitting the ball but managed to have a great day off the tee and with the wedge around the greens.  Hit the flag stick twice and chipped in for birdie once. 

Playing well with a wedge is not typical for me but it’s something I’ve been practicing hard at this year.  Overall I felt like I hit the ball pretty poorly(only hit 5 greens all day) but somehow managed to card a number that lowered my handicap(I typically hover around a 9-10 and carded an 81 yesterday)  It was a weird feeling almost like I am primed for a break thru soon because some of the things I’ve struggled with have been what has saved me recently.

What are some key occurrences that you guys see when you are about to break thru and put together a nice scoring streak?  Interested to hear everyone’s thoughts. 

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

On 6/12/2022 at 9:38 AM, JerryB said:

Played our informal work scramble at River Heights yesterday with Owen, our buddy Kevin, and my dad.  We played -2 on the front and +2 on the back.

Kevin's an avid golfer but he and his wife bought a boat last summer so this was the first time he picked up a club this season.  He also has two drivers and two 3 woods in his bag because he's always struggled with longer clubs.  He helped with a few nice chips and putts.

My dad played with us a couple times last year, which was the first time he'd swung a club in over ten years.  He's pretty good but he's pretty beat up right now; he needs ankle surgery and another shoulder surgery.  Unfortunately, he's the type that puts those things off as long as possible.  He claimed otherwise, but I could tell he was in a lot of pain almost immediately.  We actually took a few of his drives early on because they were short but dead center in the fairway every time. 

Owen carried us for the most part; more than half our shots were his.  His short approach game wasn't good but his drives and long approaches were great.

I really struggled with tempo again.  When I made good connection I was rock solid but I was like Fulton Reed in the first Mighty Ducks: can only make one out of five.  After a few good rounds my irons were starting to tug to the left again.  The two times I tried to compensate for it I hit them dead straight.  My putting was maddeningly close; too many times I had it read correctly just to end a ball rotation short or burn the edges.  Almost feels better to miss badly, LOL.

A lot of pin locations that were very close to the edge of the greens and it seems like no matter where it was, we were chipping from the short side.  We were decent enough on the front but really faded on the back nine.  On almost each of the last six holes we put ourselves in trouble and couldn't recover.  But, a good time was (hopefully) had by all!

Awesome round! It's been fun following along with you and watching your progress. Congratulations on your personal best!