TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

17 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I went back out today and played nine holes with my friends from work today at Bear Trace. It was a beautiful, but sweltering hot day. I took a screenshot of the temperature from about ten minutes ago and you can see the heat index at almost 9 pm was 99. 

2063287943_Screenshot_20220613-205410_TheWeatherChannel-01.jpeg.a13e1af68101adae97a55565c1c1de26.jpeg

My partner and I ended up carding a +9 45 and the other guys had a +3 39. 

It was fun watching Brandon and Poe play well, even if they decimated Chris and I. As for my play, my driver continued to be a weapon, the wedges were solid, and I had a good day with the putter sinking a couple of long (20 ft+) putts.

My irons continue to be a problem, I think I hit two decent shots. I was plagued by the shanks again, but it bumfuzzles me that I could make not solid contact with everything else. It'll get there. I'm planning on calling a local pro this week to schedule a lesson and hopefully they can start the unenviable task of fixing my swing. 

20220613_174058-01.jpeg.49a7a7145cb9edb2d05bc1544d71dac5.jpeg20220613_175737-01.jpeg.ffb9000a29212a6ce842a17293b14a54.jpeg20220613_182611-01.jpeg.1ed70584a29105f19533a638886648a8.jpeg20220613_185423-01.jpeg.db9f5cf7a024ce4bfe29bda877844c89.jpeg

Nice course!!  Sounds like parts of your game are coming together.  Your pro should be able to identify your exact cause of the shanks; there are more than one.  It's such a common problem as you have heard from many of us, that pros have seen it more than just a couple of of times. If it makes you feel any better... a shank is only 0.5 inches from being a solid shot.  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, JerryB said:

Now, the... also good news.  I broke 90 for the first time.  The whole "swing easy" idea really took hold this time and other than one wayward drive I was really good off the tee.  Long clubs were good with only one ugly chunk.  Even used a hybrid to putt from off a long green to just a few feet from the pin. 

Irons were good and I even hit my PW off a tee to three feet to the pin.  Coming right to left it just missed the ace.  My one birdie of the day.  Added four pars, two doubles and a triple.  Went 45/42 for 87 (+16).  Shot of the day was probably drive on 16 where I talked Paul into switching drivers and we both hit long and straight.

Congratulations!!  That's not breaking 90... an 87 is smashing it!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Got in a pretty solid practice round today. I hit the ball well with only two bogies. The first one was on the second hole. This hole is a killer. First shot is 200 yards to center of the fairway and centered on the sharp dog leg left. Your now at the 150 yard marker but its three extra clubs uphill and guarded by two huge bunkers in the front with 2 yards between them. The green slopes from back to front. You don't want to be past the pin or be short. I wound up 6 feet past the pin. I missed the putt and now off the green. Coming back 12 feet It sat on the edge. Three putt. 

The other was on straight away hilly par 4. The tee shot starts from higher ground. Then it goes down hillI, then up, then down, then up to the green. I put my second shot up in the greenside trap and the sand was hard as a rock. The club bounced off the hard pan and wound up 25 feet past the pin. Missed that putt but had a tap in. I wish they would fix the traps. I wound up 2 over for the round. I'm fine with that. 

After the round I hit the range to sharpen the 6 iron, 5 hybrid, and 7 wood. I wanted to make sure I had them gapped correctly and knew their distances.  Big round next week. 

Sounds like the wedge from the bunker needed to be "sharpened".  🤣

Well this post could most likely be in 4 thread topics, but since I actually did play 18 holes on a course without keeping any scores due to being more of a practice, and trial of some new to me equipment.

Went Sunday afternoon to Stoney Creek Metropark not far from my house. Played as a single with SWMBO coming along for the ride. When I got there, I did meet up with a couple of other guys I have played with in the past, they were making the turn as I went to the first tee. One of them was going to play 27, so we agreed to pair up once I finished the front nine.

Thanks to blackngold_blood I had a couple of new to me driver heads, and a couple of new to me shafts to try, and then decide which one if any would replace my current Titleist TS3 set-up.

Initailly started with the Ventus Black in a TSi2 9 degree head, and the Ventus TR in a TSi3 10 degree head. Hit both drivers "as initially set" on the first tee, and swapped shafts around a few times during the first 6 holes, using both off each tee that wasn't a par 3. Made a decision on the 8th tee that the TSi2 head with the Ventus Black shaft allowed me to hit mid flight low launching bullets with a small baby draw. Played that driver exclusively on the back nine, and saw longer distances than my current gamer, with the same  or even more number of fairways hit.

An example would be holes 12, 14, and 18 which all are between 390 - 375 yards from the whites, I had an average of 130 - 140 yards left to the pins from the fairways. Not bad for both my age, and the lack of roll-out at a typical public course here.

Have these heads and shaft to try, on loan from a friend who owns a shop in GA, and is a Fuji dealer as well.

Hoping to get back out on Sunday again this week to make a final determination of which head/shaft combination I will get.

By the way, both heads have additional weighting so they each weigh 202 grams bare, and both shafts are 5S flex.

In my opinion, if I could get the same flight from the TSi3 10 degree head that the TSi2 9 degree head gives me, I would choose that as it "fits my eye" better, but the first testing results showed that the 10 degree head was a much higher launch and flight even with the Ventus Black shaft installed.

s-l1600 (10).jpg

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Man, I wish I could’ve joined you two (and Tom’s BIL) out there. I’m still not able to play yet, and Tom was here what? 3 weeks ago? This sciatica is kicking my butt. Every time I think it’s getting better, it flares right back up. I’m supposed to be a tester for a putter that’s arriving Wednesday, and right now I’m wondering how I’m going to pull that off. 🙄

I’m glad you two had a good time, and Stu, good on you for showing Tom some Southern hospitality! BTW did you boys hit up the Masters or Dollhouse? 😂

No Masters or Dollhouse this trip. Heck even the beach didn’t have many sight seeing opportunities. 
In Tulsa now. Southern Hills tomorrow baby. On a pleasant 96 degrees and humid day. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

5 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Man, I wish I could’ve joined you two (and Tom’s BIL) out there. I’m still not able to play yet, and Tom was here what? 3 weeks ago? This sciatica is kicking my butt. Every time I think it’s getting better, it flares right back up. I’m supposed to be a tester for a putter that’s arriving Wednesday, and right now I’m wondering how I’m going to pull that off. 🙄

I’m glad you two had a good time, and Stu, good on you for showing Tom some Southern hospitality! BTW did you boys hit up the Masters or Dollhouse? 😂

Negative on the Masters or the Doll House---- I do not do that sort of thing and not condemming it for others but Stu No Do----- I can relate to the back pain--- Since I have changed my swing I have not had any--- But my right knee is acting up bad--- May have to have surgery--- Right now the docs are duking it out over if it was accident related putting stress on that knee because of the accident or old age related. My Medicare kicks in Sept 1 if my total Disability does not first then the Medicare automatically kicks in. LOL I already have my Part A&B got it last week from the same agent my wife got hers at. It is retroactive with which one kicks in first

Man hope your back gets better

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Owen and I got in nine at River Heights today.  Right as I was setting up at the first tee, I got a notification that my new driver was delivered.  Final send-off for my R9.

Pretty ugly round.  Putting was atrocious.  Two 4 putts.  Wedges were coming up short.  Overall just a battle.  Ended up with a +16 52.

Edited by JerryB

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

No Masters or Dollhouse this trip. Heck even the beach didn’t have many sight seeing opportunities. 
In Tulsa now. Southern Hills tomorrow baby. On a pleasant 96 degrees and humid day. 

Man you do get around. It was so humid here yesterday that you could cut it with a knife. They aerated the greens at Indigo last week and the course was closed Wednesday through Sunday but they did play the Shootout Saturday. This week they are opening for the morning mostly league play and closing the afternoons to water the greens. I agreed with that decision because those greens as you saw are stressed out and we are within inches of loosing all of them. I know all last week the Mens and Ladies leagues played elsewhere and we had a sparse turn out Saturday. I think the morning deal this week is because the leagues raised the devil about going elsewhere and they are scared of loosing that base of players. Some of them are selfish and could care less if we lose the greens or not. I did put together 2 teams last week for AJ and he called me yesterday and I think I have 2 put together for this Saturday I know I have at least one because I gave my recent team to one of the guys that was trying to take over anyhow. My old running partner will be back from his Native Pennsylvania a week from Saturday so we are putting that team back together again. Yesterday I did go up to Tupelo and hit a small bucket of balls and putted some. Like I told AJ if those guys do not show up for the one team I can do the tag along thing or go home whatever. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Oh how I love* how this game can change so quickly:

Played a friendly game on Friday, last chance to finalise the Nippon Modus review. 

1st: 3 wood - 290y, chip & 2 putts - par

2nd: 3 wood - wedge to 5 feet - birdie

3rd: bunker - chip - 2 putts - bogey

4th: 3 wood - 5 iron - chip - putt - birdie

5th: 6 iron - 2 putts - par

6th: 3 wood - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - bogey

7th: 3 wood - 7 iron - chip - putts - bogey

8th: 8 iron to 10 feet - lipped out - par

9th: 3 wood trees - chip out - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - double

4 over after 9 - looking good and on for my best ever round!!

10th: Driver 320y - 5 iron - 2 putts - par

11th: 3 wood - 9 iron - putts - par

12th: 3 wood - 8 iron - chip - 2 putts - bogey

13th: 3 wood - 9 iron - 2 putts - par

14th: OB + rubbish - Triple

15th: Water - double

16th: Hack - hack - hack -etc - triple

17th: OB + rubbish  - double

18th: 3 wood - 6 iron - 2 putts - par

A great potential score ruined by 4 holes...🤬🤬🤬

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

1 hour ago, DStar said:

Played a friendly game on Friday, last chance to finalise the Nippon Modus review. 

Trust me it happens and this is coming from a guy who had 9 birdies in a Mini Tour event one day and still shot 80---- No Joke--- But I did win most of the 2 skins pots---- In fact I won more on the skins pot than the guy who won the event did--- LOL won one skin on a difficult Par 3 with a Par chip in the only par I made all day. Crazy game

G

12 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

On Sunday afternoon I got a hall pass to get out and go golf for a 3 hour window between the responsibilities of life. I met up with a single on the first tee. Nice guy, grew up right beside the course but only started playing last year in the covid boom. a college baseball player, and once he works out a consistent golf swing he is going to mash the golf ball.

My game was fine, my short game was really good. 11 putts through 9 holes and a -1 total score. I got a par on 10, then birdied 11 to get to -2 for the round. This was easily the lowest score I have had on a course this late in a round. But... my 3 hour hall pass expired and I had to head off the course and to Home Depot to pickup some drywall screws and thin set... Yep, I left my best round going ever to get back to remodeling a bathroom...

FYI, Home Depot was open the night before... just sayin'  😀

7 hours ago, DStar said:

that was me last month, i feel you. an eagle and 5 birdies, squandered by a quad, a triple and 2 doubles...

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Bah!! Why do I play this game. 🤬 I have a tee time tomorrow morning. Driver was all over the map it seemed. Only 2 fairways hit. Hitting my irons thin again. Only needed my hybrid and 3 wood once during the 9 holes and hit them both as well I could possibly hit them so that pleased me. I had a sand save lip out on the 9th hole and settled for a bogey. Another 9 holes in the low 50s. 

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

5 hours ago, Thin2win said:

that was me last month, i feel you. an eagle and 5 birdies, squandered by a quad, a triple and 2 doubles...

So @fixyurdivot... does this post make you feel better prior to the 2022 MGS PNW Outing... or not?  🤣

17 minutes ago, MattF said:

Played better than I have in a while. 38/44 82. I started to run out of puff on the back, walking in the humidity sure sucks some energy out of you. When I got home I took the 3 wood and 2 hybrid out of the bag because I just don't use them.

Got to have a long club besides driver, and the 3H is not enough.  I know.  It took me awhile to find the right head/shaft combination, but I'm happy now.

7 hours ago, Thin2win said:

My career low of an 80 included a 9 on the card. Still haven't broken into the 70s.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding sympathy for a round where you got an eagle... 😜

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS