TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Our greens were punched this week so we decided to go 20 miles op the road to Hernando Oaks. I shot 93 Tuesday then 89 Thursday.  Beautiful layout….Boys liked it so much we are going back this Tuesday.

478927D6-3B8D-4E23-8608-81276F52EF96.jpeg

2357F366-ED0F-4294-A8F9-D55BCFDA81E6.jpeg

C6C6A243-563D-410A-9575-DE39ADC8924F.jpeg

Nice scores for a course you don’t play often 

As I predicted after yesterday's poor round, better days ahead.  Sweltering heat again today.  Shot a 38 on the front nine, bogeying 8 and 9.  On the back, I had 2 lost balls (both I had a good idea where they were, just never found them) and came in with a 41 (with the penalties) for a nice little 79 for the round.  Played the par 3s at 2 under (and almost birdied the last par 3 (2 pars, 2 birds))

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am not a big fan of slow greens either.   All I can say is wow when you say you had 14 3 putts.   There is a course in my league that has notoriously slow greens;  it is just bang it hard straight at the hole because it probably won't break.  The only problem is that your brain struggles to make the huge swing for a putt.  

I had a really hard time getting my brain wrapped around hitting it harder. It surprised me they were running so slow, the course came under new management a little over a year ago and they completely resurfaced them and the couple of times I played, they were quicker. Next time, I'll just have to chip them closer. 😜

Got out for the Father's Day round at a top area course that is tough to get a tee time at. It was upper 50s this morning which is crazy given it was low 100s when I played less than 48 hours prior. 

Drives were a little iffy, irons were great playing with a 2-3 club wind, chipped ok and back to 30 putts after the abysmal performance in the tourney. Birdies on the par 3 #11 and short #13. But penalties on #12 & #14 hurt. Shot 40/38 it was a good morning.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 6/16/2022 at 8:54 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Sorry for the length.

My experience at Southern Hills is complete. It wasn’t a round of golf but rather an unforgettable experience. As soon as you get to the main gate you are greeted by an attendant in a suit. You pull up to the bag drop and your car is unloaded for you, your bags are put on a reserved cart. You are directed to the men’s locker room and assigned a locker for the day. This was a locker room like no other! Once you are ready to roll and get back outside you are given a caddy. We did about a five minute range warm up and another five on the putting green.

A little bit about the course conditions to start. The temperature was 94 degrees and it was windy. You had to wait between gusts to hit.  The rough, fairway and greens were still at the tour conditions. In fact most of the tents were still up and a few were in the process of being taken down. Talk about fast greens! Glad we hit the practice green. The rough was about 4 inches deep but it was a soft airy type of turf. The ball would just disappear and you had to be right over it to see it. But if you found it you did not lose that much distance hitting back out as long as you came down on the back of the ball. Trying to sweep though was not an option. The fairways were fast as get out. I now can see why the Pro’s get so much roll. I’m a decent driver of the ball off the tee for my age but the distance increase was welcomed. You easily got another 25 to 35 yards. As an example on hole #13 a par five of 495yards I only had 200 yards left. The course layout was amazing. My only complaint was the sand in the bunkers. It wasn’t sand it was like very small stones. It’s hard to describe but here is a picture. I’m good out of the sand but if you got one of those pebbles between the ball and the club you didn’t know where it was going. And it was all hard packed.

1813970404_BunkerSand.jpg.cb8cbd13a6f15b2554129b37eb3601b0.jpg

The caddy was young but was helpful finding any balls that missed the fairway. Unfortunately some of his suggestions on what yardage to hit on lay ups was a bit off and his reading of the putts for some of the guys was just ok. After several holes I turned him off in my head and just trusted my own judgement. Then I was playing much better. The pars started coming and then a birdie thrown in here and there. This was a challenging layout to say the least. You had to know where to hit and how far to hit and take into consideration the roll you were going to get.

On the first hole I learned what not to do. I hit a great drive but it kept on rolling, crossed the fairway and rolled in the fairway bunker. I learned the sand was not real sand and the bunkers are deep. You have to take your medicine and just get out. Now out and going for the green I only had 60 yards to green center. I hit a perfect lob wedge. High and right at the pin. It landed about 3 feet from the pin and the caddy said that was perfect. The ball was just barely crawling toward the cup then the wind picked up and now my ball was 20 yards off the green. Chip back up and two putt for a double.

552639094_1sttee.jpg.f528f356d261bcfce44c6357f03de882.jpg

The second hole was the number 1 handicap hole and I made par which impressed the caddy. Not to mention I was pleased with myself after a rough opening hole. I got onto another par three and was the first to tee it up. I hit a great shot into the green and the ball sat about 15 feet from the pin. The other three guy hit but did not get on the green. Then another wind gust came and then my ball was gone. I get around the back side of the green and it was now 40 feet off the back. With the re-design of the golf course they rounded off all the greens to add challenge. Not fun for mere mortals. Another thing that was interesting. I never got to hit a 3 wood or a 5 wood all day. The par fives greens were so well guarded that going for them in two would be a life altering experience. The others in my group tried and failed miserably. I played smart, layed up and made pars. I don’t think I ever played a course with that many bunkers.

421567387_Par5approach.jpg.63c869bee45c845ac3751f4193b8d10d.jpg

As we got toward the end of the round I was looking forward to hole 18 after watching it on TV. I hit a great drive on 18 leaving 192 yards to the uphill green surrounded by bunkers. Last hole no guts no glory. I pulled my 7 wood and crushed it up onto the green 15 feet below the pin. My member friend said “in the 16 years I have been playing here with other friends and members, it was the first time he ever seen anybody on the green in two.” After finishing up I couldn’t have been happier with the day and the experience on the course. Let me say that the dining areas in the club house were nice and the food we had for dinner was amazing. I had a filet and it was probably one of the best I ever had (and I have been to a lot of good places). 

1463303111_TheBoys.jpg.250659e75c6cb48d7f3df9cab9e7b352.jpg 

1794482903_number9.jpg.df442d2dfcafe7a5f98c4c7c9b036b8b.jpg

Statue.jpg.548d8e166c887a590d2419abbfa7b755.jpg 

Let me say that this course was no joke. Placement of the ball was critical. The worst round shot in the PGA Championship was an 80. So my goal was to break 80. Did I do it? No. But I was so freaking close with an 81. There were a few doubles, some bogies a bunch of pars and two birdies. The front nine was rougher on the score card due to figuring things out and learning that the caddy was not always right. I shot a 42 on the front. The back 9 I did on my own and pulled out a 39. The yardage was 6306 with a rating of 72.2 with a slope of 134. I think if I got to play it again I could pull off breaking 80 there.  My playing partners scores were 109, 101, and 93. The 93 came from another single digit handicapper.  

Nice showing Tom! That rock-sand in your photo surprises me. Is that common for the region?  Forget about what adverse affect it might have on the shot... what about scaring my club? 😆

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

10 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Played horrible today in 90*+ weather.  Shot a 45/47:92.  I did chip in on a par 3 from 30 yards out for a birdie!  Out of 51 players, only 2 birdies held, paying $100 each. Mine was one of them!  So, overall, not a bad day. Greens were punched this week…..

89D0275E-69CD-4D1A-9231-33184C8DF35F.jpeg

3B680B32-E536-4E5A-9D84-47A0BE8E97CF.jpeg

3359D69E-F66C-4505-A1C9-10D7E71F74ED.jpeg

LOL Those look better than our punched greens---- Nice Hat too!! I wore my straw Tabsco "Bite Me" hat yesterday

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

10 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I had a really hard time getting my brain wrapped around hitting it harder. It surprised me they were running so slow, the course came under new management a little over a year ago and they completely resurfaced them and the couple of times I played, they were quicker. Next time, I'll just have to chip them closer. 😜

Our greens looked worse than the ones Fozzy Posted. They were slow too. I left the extra weight (lead Tape) on the Scotty I put on last week. I also on any putt over 10 feet went away from my claw grip to a conventional grip. What also makes it somewhat hard for me is the fact by ingrained habit I am a die putter always have been. I grew up on 328 Tifton Bremuda greens which are somewhat slow but adapted fast when I started playing bent 40 years or so ago. I have to force myself to as I call it Ram Jam. I can not ram jam one with the claw grip so I have to go conventional

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

56 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yesterday was crazy. We had a big storm Friday night that dumped like 4 inches of rain. Yep it was CPO which if it had been a regular members event we would have not have to went that way. But I can see the owners position on that far as course damage. I was going to pull out but one of the owners let me take a cart and ride out. It was not as wet as to the fact I would be slogging and putting pressure on my knee. I decided to play after all. We had a lot of no shows including 2 on my team. One of the owners called Big Bear and myself over and we decided to split us up. Bear went with a mixed group ( ladies and men ) that he knew and I went with 3 guys I knew and had never played with. They know my status and agreed to retrieve any balls I hit in the fairway they did not use. LOL we had a younger player that could flat move the ball and play. I played my course from areas on approach I had never played from before. LOL never pulled the cover off the 7&9 woods all day but wore my 6 iron through wedges out. This guy is so long and straight we putted for Eagle on every Par 5 no joke. With the crappy greens we still shot -9 and never had an Eagle. My 9 thru wedge game was good but his was not bad. LOL after about 4 driving holes I never pulled the driver out of the bag stayed in the cart. The other guys were good players too. On all the Par 5s I would hit the approach first and basically what was a good 3 wood layup for me. With it being wet I did not get any roll but could go about 185 or so straight and give him the green light. On our par 5 14th one of my partners hit a driver off the deck and ran it on the green. man it was fun. Bad thing next week is their regular partner will be back and I will have to play against those guys. Actually they are so good they would be hard to beat even as a 3 man team not playing an extra ball. I see them as the new Power Team.

Found out last night that my running partner is not coming down from Pennsylvania. He says he has too much work on his mini farm there. He also cited it was so hot and humid here. But I do know I do have a big hitter good player on board with me and we will do a pick up team perhaps with Big Bear. Right now players are sketchy due to weather and course conditions. And with us being closed in the afternoons and the crappy condition of the course in general some folks have been playing elsewhere and like Fozzy and his bunch liking it. I know some of the neighboring courses have been open in the afternoons despite the heat. One of the Owners Dad and I am not sure if he is an investor or not made the statement yesterday in front of several members. That they were not staying open in the afternoons for a few of the red card members ( like myself) to play $20 rounds. I can see it somewhat from a business standpoint. But he should not have said it in front of the members. He angered quite a few including one of my other Scramble Partners/Members. Several said they were out after this year. There is a Platnum Membership card that has 4 courses in this 3 mile radius including mine. It does cost more and the green fees are more but those courses are staying open and not really having a bunch of afternoon play. One of the guys bristled and told him well they did have certain obligations since they had their hand out for the Membership fees. Now they have been good to me and I love the place but I am having mixed feelings on things in general. This is one of the times I am going to sit back in silence and observe. Did have one member ask me after the shooutout what my opinion was. I told him well that may have been the case from a business standpoint but he should have not been so vocal in front of members. I am sure several will talk to the Majority owner whe he gets back from out of town and I am sure someone will mention I was there when it was said. I am sure I will get a phone call from him since we have known each other for over 20 years

Wow, 4" of rain would put most courses out of commission for days or a week in most locales. Maybe I misread/understood, are they closing in the afternoons due to heat/humidity?  Crazy how various parts of the country are experiencing near opposite oddities in weather. We're now just starting to warm up and dry out from an abnormally cool and wet spring.  I don't recall seeing our region as green as it is now - almost into July.  World weather seems to follow Newtonian Physics.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

13 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Played horrible today in 90*+ weather.  Shot a 45/47:92.  I did chip in on a par 3 from 30 yards out for a birdie!  Out of 51 players, only 2 birdies held, paying $100 each. Mine was one of them!  So, overall, not a bad day. Greens were punched this week…..

89D0275E-69CD-4D1A-9231-33184C8DF35F.jpeg

3B680B32-E536-4E5A-9D84-47A0BE8E97CF.jpeg

3359D69E-F66C-4505-A1C9-10D7E71F74ED.jpeg

Nice Hat👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

47 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Wow, 4" of rain would put most courses out of commission for days or a week in most locales. Maybe I misread/understood, are they closing in the afternoons due to heat/humidity?  Crazy how various parts of the country are experiencing near opposite oddities in weather. We're now just starting to warm up and dry out from an abnormally cool and wet spring.  I don't recall seeing our region as green as it is now - almost into July.  World weather seems to follow Newtonian Physics.

We have not had any real rain for a few weeks and that course is rock hard anyhow and most of our greens are exposed. The reason they stated the last 2 weeks was that they were irrigating etc in the afternoons. but I know just about everybody that lives around the course and some get out on their carts to ride around and hawk balls and a couple told me they had not seen any of that going on. The current story is the heat and humidity and one of my sometimes Shootout partners lives on the course on nearby Blackmoor. He says all last week he saw a few players on the course in the afternoons not crowded by any stretch of the imagination but still foks playing despite the heat and humidity. Even in my current state of health I can play in this weather by being smart and dressing properly and resting and drinking plenty of cold fluids. Now Pops had stated he knew of other courses were closed for the same reason which is untrue. 3 courses more high end resort courses have closed for the summer to do scheduled maintenace work to get ready for the World Am and the fall tourist season. I will admit afternoon play is down quite a bit because of the weather. Now the early general tourist season has been brisk here but as others have said we think we will see it drop off if the gas prices continue to rise. The tale will be told there in a couple of weeks for the July 4th Holiday weekend. 

G

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL Those look better than our punched greens---- Nice Hat too!! I wore my straw Tabsco "Bite Me" hat yesterday

Thanks Stu…..gotta keep the Sun off my ears.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Thanks Stu…..gotta keep the Sun off my ears.

And I have found them to be a lot cooler too both function and style. And the ladies love it with my long hair and shades. A bunch of them now call me "Big Sexy" no joke. And yes my wife knows about it and has no problem and so does some of their husbands.

G

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Today I was expecting to play like yesterday when I had those four birdies.  Nah!  Not one birdie today!!  But I did have two doubles!  Still managed a +4/+4 for an 80.  

Driver is weak; irons are getting better; and I'm loving my Callaway Epic Max FWs... except for the head covers.  All generic Epic head covers with a teeny, tiny number attached.  On the par 3 #8 I thought it might be a good distance for my new 9W; for a front pin I hit the ball to the back of the green some 35 yards too long.  Grabbed the head cover... it was my 3W!!!  🙄  Time to look for distinctly different head covers.

I had a slightly similar situation about 5 years ago--- I was experimenting then with the 9 wood--- The 7&9 woods are both V steels and then had the same shafts. As my SOP I use non descript what ever I find head covers. I meant to hit the 9 and pulled the 7 and blew it over the green. I do remember at the time I had 2 Alpha head covers because my friend who was an Alpha dealer gave them to me because they did not have the little number tabs on them. LOL I ended up marking the covers with a Sharpie and putting tape on the shaft of each one with 7 or 9 on them. Now days no problem because I have 2 different shafts in them and the 7 wood has a nice AM&E 7 wood cover on it that I got for the sum of $1 at Goodwill. For now the 9 has a vintage 90s style Ben Hogan cover on it. 

G