TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

6 hours ago, JerryB said:

Owen and I played the front nine at River Heights yesterday; the complete dissolution of my game continues.  After setting a personal best 88 here last week, I have followed up with three rounds of nonsense and a +19 55 yesterday.  Suddenly everything is hooking left except my wedges which are extremely toe-y.  Its all in my head, I know.  We were supposed to play again today but got rained out which is almost a relief.  Ah well...better times ahead, no?

Golf is a funny game, it's all great one day and the next it can almost drive you crazy. Bad days and steaks happen. Just keep doing what you've been doing and with the way you've been improving this year, I believe you've got some better days ahead. 

1 minute ago, sirchunksalot said:

Golf is a funny game, it's all great one day and the next it can almost drive you crazy. Bad days and steaks happen. Just keep doing what you've been doing and with the way you've been improving this year, I believe you've got some better days ahead. 

Funny yet cruel some days

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

2 hours ago, ParFore74x said:

Shot a 46/45  91 for a new personal best. Nothing great but nothing terrible either. Fairly consistent through all 18 holes with five pars, four fairways, three greens and no three putts. Tee shots are not getting me into trouble as often or as bad. Starting to feel more confident on the tee box of most holes. Felt fairly chill throughout the round so I’m hopeful that I can stay on this path to lowering my scores. 

Great round and congratulations on the personal best! Confidence off the tee is a big one and if you can keep mistakes to a minimum, good things can happen. Hopefully we'll read about a round in the 80's soon, but most importantly, get out there and have fun. 

1 hour ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

just didn’t make the long putts which I’m fine with, I’m no pro.

Pros don't make that many long putts.  I don't know what you are considering "long" but the chart below shows some actual numbers.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Pros don't make that many long putts.  I don't know what you are considering "long" but the chart below shows some actual numbers.  

Oh totally agree. I mean I was leaving things 4-6 ft short meaning I didn’t give myself a chance

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Feast or famine on the course today....shot 11 over with 5 double bogeys (1 birdie, 2 bogey, 10 pars).  2 of the doubles involved a penalty (Put on in the water on #4 and shanked a 9 iron OB on #10).  The other 3 doubles were just mental errors (one where I rushed a shot because my playing partners were slow as molasses and the other 2 were just due to my inept ability to screw up short pitches).

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great round and congratulations on the personal best! Confidence off the tee is a big one and if you can keep mistakes to a minimum, good things can happen. Hopefully we'll read about a round in the 80's soon, but most importantly, get out there and have fun. 

Well said, could not agree more! 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Good but weird day.  45/41 86.  Naverage play with crazy ending.

It was a crazy week with big deadlines.  Dropped off two sets of plans to the building department at noon yesterday and decided that I wanted to play in spite of the heat (98) and the lack of sleep (2 hours).  To make it even more interesting I decided to play the tips.  Once again, it was very slow and the three I got paired with, were great guys, but uninterested keeping pace and we very quickly ended up almost 1.5 holes behind even with me trying to hustle them along by putting out quickly and moving to the next tee.  🙄.   

I played pretty well but my touch was off around the greens and on the greens.  Couldn't manage to get any up and downs to drop and only had a single par on the front.  I played better on the back and managed an early par with one silly three putt bogey.  

Around hole 14 we were almost 2.5 holes behind and I only had an hour until I needed to go pick up my daughter so I politely split off from the group and quickly played the next three (all pars).  Pace of play is real.  Getting to 18(par5) with 30 minutes to spare I figure no problem I'm good.   There was a 4some on the tee that invited me to play 18 with them and mentioned that the group in front of them was glacially slow.  I figure no big deal since I now have plenty of time to spare. 

We proceed to sit on the tee box for the next 10 minutes as they clear driving range.  They weren't bad players either.   All five of us hit and drive down and wait 5 more minutes for them to clear the approach area.  (So slow that the group I bailed from reaches 16, putts out, and is walking into the 17th tee box.).   We all got approach and are now sitting at 100 yards out waiting for them to putt putt.  At this point I have personally seen them playing the hole for about 20-25 minutes and I am starting to encorach into the buffer time I left myself to get out of there and to my daughter's school in time.   

Finally, they finish putting out, spend an inordinately long period of time shaking hands, and chatting.   I'm biting my tongue, but finally day something as one pair moseys back to their cart in front of the green and starts tallying their card.  I believe I shouted "sometime today, clear the green.".   Not great, but also not totally impolite.  One of the guys loses his mind.  Jumps out of the cart and starts chest thumping.  It looks ridiculous.   I'm in no mood to get into an argument or a fight so I just rive.over to my ball thinking the guy will call it a day and leave.  Nope, I look up and he's still screaming at me and stomping down the fairway toward me. 

Ugh.  I'm not concerned, I'm big, athletic and can handle myself, but I have zero intention of getting in a fist fight at 40 years old.  🤦‍♂️.  He's shouting something along the lines of "if you want to talk s, back it up".  Meanwhile I haven't even got out of my cart because I don't want to escalate. 

He's now in my face screaming and trying to get me to do something.   I'm calmly saying to him dude are you really getting this angry about me telling you to clear the green?   That's not normal, and you should probably speak to someone about your anger issues.  His buddy is sprinting down the fairway because even he didn't realize how nutso this guy was going to go.   Finally he trys to push me.  I'm sitting in the cart, firmly planted , and the push causes him to fall backwards.  This seems to wake him up and he's now retreating with his buddy, still spitting mad and screaming, but finally calling it a day.  His buddy shouts over his shoulder that I shouldn't have said anything.  Maybe not, but what I said also shouldn't have caused that kind of response especially when I never also escalated.  I profusely apologize to the 4 some, hit to 20 ft, brush a birdie putt by the edge, and hit the resulting gimme in for par.  

Weird day, I haven't been in a situation like that in 15-20 years.  (Like college bouncer days long ago) and I never realized how said and pathetic the bluster looked until yesterday.  Afterwards I felt genuinely bad for the guy that something so little could cause such a ballistic response.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

6 hours ago, ParFore74x said:

Shot a 46/45  91 for a new personal best. Nothing great but nothing terrible either. Fairly consistent through all 18 holes with five pars, four fairways, three greens and no three putts. Tee shots are not getting me into trouble as often or as bad. Starting to feel more confident on the tee box of most holes. Felt fairly chill throughout the round so I’m hopeful that I can stay on this path to lowering my scores. 

Congrats on a new PR! Funny how “boring” those rounds can feel sometimes, then you look and say “holy cow!”

One thing I heard Hank Haney say once that’s stuck with me is “there are 3 rules to good golf: 1. No penalties 2. No two chips 3. No 3 putts.” If you think about it, if you can avoid those 3 things your ceiling is bogey golf (unless of course you hit shanks, which are basically penalties anyway). 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

29 minutes ago, Ben_Howell34 said:

Congrats on a new PR! Funny how “boring” those rounds can feel sometimes, then you look and say “holy cow!”

One thing I heard Hank Haney say once that’s stuck with me is “there are 3 rules to good golf: 1. No penalties 2. No two chips 3. No 3 putts.” If you think about it, if you can avoid those 3 things your ceiling is bogey golf (unless of course you hit shanks, which are basically penalties anyway). 

That’s exactly how I felt too, “Boring round”. It wasn’t really boring just not very eventful. When I realized my score at the end I was definitely caught off guard. 

Another pretty good round for me today. I can definitely get use to this!! 44/47  for another 91. Putting hurt me today with 1 three putt and 36 total putts. Wasn’t getting into too much trouble off the tee and short irons were playing really well for the most part. Doubles on 17 & 18 were frustrating but that’s golf. 

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

I had a chance to play Riverside and Highlands GC's in Pocatello, ID yesterday afternoon and this morning on my return trip from AZ. What a pair of fantastic, old style, parkland courses that are beautifully maintained and great tests. I walked both and they served well at stretching out my legs from the long drive.  If you are ever in the area, I highly recommend playing these courses.  

The single I played with at Riverside was doing the blue/white combo.  I didn't even look at the yardage before signing up for that... 6495 yards 😬.  I managed a 41/44.  To be honest, I was starting to feel a bit gassed from holes 14 on in, and forgot to grab another water at the turn.  Standing up from marking my ball on #18, I started feeling dizzy. I had thought about playing a second time, but no way... walking anyway.  That is too much length for me anymore - too many holes just out of reach with a solid drive and second shot.

This early morning, I played Highlands and went solo.  I chose the white tee and even this was on the long side  at 6372. I played a Z-Star vs. a PV1.  The PV1 started with B2B birdies; though one was the ugly version that involved a gutted iron that left me an 8' putt. I had two other birdies though the round and was (unbeknownst to me at the time) playing cam phasers in synch golf 👍.  Okay, not that good, but good for me 🙂.

The PV1 finished with a 37/39 and the Z-Star a 40/42.  I had a handful of mid iron shots that were all over the flag like white on rice.  I also rolled some great putts that helped make up for the handful of holes that were just out of reach in regulation.  All-in-all, a solid ball striking and level of play considering my last round was with @GrumpyGolfat Timberstone a couple weeks ago.

Riverside GC

RS2.jpg.c5244b909a0c7ee4340a2bbd621d680e.jpgRS3.jpg.c6a5ed5fcf30fcac9f2a11e580cb9442.jpgRS4.jpg.8e91550f9326393186b013cda6fcf10e.jpgRS5.jpg.77cb6322478fbf37de8173db201fd01f.jpg

Highlands GC

H1.jpg.b704d2c807b1ca62759abe896d68885d.jpgH2.jpg.07cda9d833b421524d80dc281abcf4cb.jpgH4.jpg.858b08ab0b584bd5cbef3a436684600f.jpgH5.jpg.a81aad5bedc50a3c2358178259650c12.jpgH6.jpg.fc0769d63b1e4de68b5d405eea1d06ba.jpg

Riverside.jpg

H3.jpg

H8.jpg

Highland.jpg

Sounds like two good rounds on a couple of gorgeous courses. That bridge in the background on Riverside is beautiful.  

37 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Sounds like two good rounds on a couple of gorgeous courses. That bridge in the background on Riverside is beautiful.  

Thanks Jason.  Yes, that is a cool bridge and completely surprised me... almost thought I had been transported to St. Andrews 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Went back out to my old home course early this morning for a 76. Had 2 birdies and some great up and downs to save par. 2 penalties on the back cost me some shots but I found the ball both times so didn't lose any. 

2 notes on balls, I played the Maxfli Tour it's a really good ball, very comparable to my Z-Star. And I'm done with X balls I've tried just about all of them and not one works in the short game the way I like to play.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

23 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Weird round today.  Parred the first 6 holes and the last 6 holes, but I guess I decided to nap the middle 6 holes where I was +7... 79.  I don't get it.

It's time to experiment by taking a 4 min power nap on the 7th & 13th tees.  😆

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.