Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Owen and I played the back nine again at River Heights today.  We were going to play the front but it was backing up already so we jumped to the back.  Good thing we did; I finally got my par on 14!  I've now gotten par on every hole on this course this year.

We played pretty okay today.  Owen was solid and got the only birdie of the day.  LOL, he had the drive of the day where he swung out of his shoes and barely grazed the top of the ball, sending it inches down the fairway.

I was happy with my play but I was inconsistent.  Putter came and went, and my irons were good.  I had more chunks today than I've had in a while with both irons and wedges.  Driver was a little erratic which left me scrambling on second shots.  Trying to play smart backfired when I kept screwing up punches and chips back to the fairway.

Owen went +9 45 and I had +12 48.  A couple of trees had leaves that were starting to turn; season is drawing to a close.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Friday Bacon Boyz 9.  Still raining every evening so of course wet conditions & CPO.  Knee better every day and played mildly almost OK.  Had only couple bad shots.  
Some guys don’t disappoint, he ordered 2 sausage Pattie’s, 2 slices and bowl of fruit.  New one on me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Continuing to have some issues with my swing and ball striking of late.  44 on the front, but turned it around somewhat on the back with a 39.  Not sure what's really going on, but I do know that I'm frustrated with it and that's likely feeding the issue.  Just need to get out of my own way and letting the swing happen, I guess.  I did hit some really nice shots today on the back, so...I got that going for me.  

I’ve been having a little trouble with my iron play lately, and what I did was shorten everything up, and make sure I’m not swaying on the backswing by posting on the right instep on my backswing. That seemed to really pull everything back together. Not sure if you’re experiencing the same issue, but the point is that often it’s just one little thing, and when you figure that out, it all comes back quickly..

good luck mate!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

6 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’ve been having a little trouble with my iron play lately, and what I did was shorten everything up, and make sure I’m not swaying on the backswing by posting on the right instep on my backswing. That seemed to really pull everything back together. Not sure if you’re experiencing the same issue, but the point is that often it’s just one little thing, and when you figure that out, it all comes back quickly..

good luck mate!

I often do the same with the instep of the trail foot and that's typically my go-to.  I think it's more of the through swing right now...coming out of the shot a hair and not catching the ball cleanly.   As you said, it's normally just something slight and getting back to the basics will generally fix the issue.  Just need to focus more on the basics and quit beating myself because I'm not playing to my expectations.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

18 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Better day today.  Ball striking was much better after being very aware of my setup and basics.  39 on the front and remained 3 over through 13, when a mental error on 14 brought about a double bogey.  Another bogey on 15 and one more on 18, both due to mishit approach shots to come in with a 79 for the day.

Well done!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

11 minutes ago, MattF said:

OK, where do I start?

Absolute bucket list venue. The format was singles at the Stadium course the first day and 2 man shamble at Dye's Valley the second day. Played the blues at the Stadium (they are the tips because you cannot play The Players tees, that's tournament only) 6670 (played longer) 73.9 148. Played the blues at Dye's Valley 6502 72.1 131.

As a team we got our arse handed to us, which was not a surprise considering it was low cap, 5 and below, versus mid cap, 8+. I put up a bit of a fight on the front 9 being 3 up at one stage, then collapsed on the back. I ended up shooting 54/59 113 and am actually happy about it. The wind was brutal both days with pretty much all but 2 holes hitting into the wind.

#17 we played from The Players tees. It was 137 to the middle, playing 155 pin in the back. I rinsed 2 (pushed just right of the green pin high) and ended taking a 7. They give you a metal bag tag that's a replica of #17 and after your round you can have them engrave what you shot on the hole, I obviously have 7 on mine. Vosh from Mizuno had them put shank on his because, well, he did.

Dye's Valley I ended with an 87, but because it was a shamble it's not being recorded. Shot of the day was the par 3 #11. Plays 211 but with the wind was 240. I hit driver to 15 feet (it stuck) and 2 putted for par.

If you have any questions, have at it.

Here's a couple of pics.

The entrance.

PXL_20220914_182247370_MP.jpg.2caa45104feca8ae6bddf710a9099ffd.jpg

Clubhouse

PXL_20220914_182546142_MP.jpg.eded32816950a30d14e9a7805e35e31b.jpg

PXL_20220914_182735739_MP.jpg.87bedc547e1c7eb76f20fd833b6576d3.jpg

Cam

PXL_20220914_184341238_MP.jpg.2cc2c41d089026159551aaec6f1e588a.jpg

Back 9 designed on a napkin.

PXL_20220914_184601136_MP.jpg.785dffc6b7e1df8592759730781985cb.jpg

First off, it sounds like you had an awesome time and I'm glad you got to play at such wonderful venues. 

How were the nerves standing there on the tee of #17? 

How did the 923's perform for you? The 921 line is amazing and I really enjoy being able to pull them out of the bag and hit them. 

39 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

Bonus material: we got to see nature at its finest as a coyote nabbed a squirrel about 100 yards ahead of us. It was a real sight to see. 

Unless you’re the squirrel !

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

6 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Had the best non-driver ballstriking day of my life. Yet my score was not great, 94. So what went wrong:

• Irons flying father than I think they will, due to some swing changes. It wasn't just that the balls rolled to the back of the green, the ball carried to the back of the green or farther. One shot, had 117 to the flag, played for non-optimal strike and went PW. Ball carried 25 yard farther than it should, over the green, landed somewhere in the woods, probably rolled into the street.
  • Had a couple of holes of poor drives, swung too hard on one and hit it in the hazard. This was the swing for the fences type of swing.

After the first par 3 on my course, hit GIR on every par 3, to 15 feet or less, including an almost hole in one. On these holes, I didn't club up and hit them well. 

@chisag- i know you said to play for non-optimal contact, but i think my distances have actually changed. 

Monte effect?  😃

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”