TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

6 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

You know, my wife says the same thing and she's pretty smart...I guess I should listen. 😂

Yesterday I was having a fun and relaxing time until the 7th. I popped up a drive into high grass, hit a nice recovery 50 yards short of the green, then pull topped one 30 degrees left, hit a sign and it proceeded to hit a tree. Then I got to the 8th and they had all the tee markers together way back with the line of high grass blocking out all but the smallest view of the green. It just didn't set right to my eyes and I pulled a low screamer into the grass. Hit a bad recovery and it went downhill from there.

My wife also tells me I shouldn't keep score for a while and that I'll pressing too hard to do well. That it gets into my head to perform well.

Funny thing is, the 9th fairway is next to the range and littered with balls. While looking for my drive I took some time to whack some back to the range and hit toward the 200 yard marker. Hit some pretty good shots then shanked my ball into a pond. 

It'll get there, I'm just messed up right now from paralysis by analysis. 

Your wife is smart... you should listen to her.  So I guess that makes me smart by default.  😂  Thanks!!  My wife actually says that sometimes I "act smart".  😁

I also agree on the not keeping score suggestion.  I do that frequently when I'm playing alone.  I play "golf shot".  There are many ways to play a shot; I pick one that I believe is the best option.  Hit it, then evaluate if I hit it the way I wanted or not.  If I did, then go play the result.  If not, I may either try again or pick another option for the shot.  I enjoy the challenge of making the shot like I envisioned it... actually more than the score.

My wife keeps our scores when we play together so I don't even worry about it then.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

33 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I agree your wife on not keeping score for a while.  Ugly things can happen and BAD decisions when chasing a number…..I know.

RELAX…..and don’t overthink it.

I agree, I think I've just gotten into a bad mental place over the last year or so over how I'm playing. I was actually really relaxed playing yesterday while averaging double bogey until seeing the tee on 8. That just messed with me and I spiraled badly. I fell into the trap of asking why instead of how. The mental part of this game can be brutal. 

First hole on my home course is a par 5.  Excellent drive.  Excellent 5 wood.  56 yards to the pin.  Tried to get cute and left the shot about 35 feet short.  FOUR putted for a double and it shook me so bad that I went on to shoot a 48 on the front 9.  The worst 9 hole score in many a year.  38 on the back nine.  I'm normal, but my golf game is schizophrenic.  I am proud of the fact I never starting cussing or slamming clubs.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The Hole that made me laugh.

Normally It's an uneventful round of golf with mostly pars, a birdie or two or a bogie or two. For today's round all but one hole followed the norm. I was even par going into hole 13 with one bird and one bogey. I will typically hit driver over the trees (dogleg left layout) and be 100 yards in front of the green. I'm usually looking, at par or birdie potential. Well not today. A freaking 9 on a par 4. Yup, you read it correctly a 9.

Tee shot did not get up high enough hit a branch and ricocheted dead left onto the 9th tee box (1). I had a window to punch the ball back to the fairway. Figured I would punch it with a draw to get further down the fairway. It drew to soon and hit a tree trunk on the left of my opening (2). The ball went dead right about another 20 yards. Still left with other punch out. So I got a little peeved. Did not take my time and shanked the bugger(3). But at least I got in the fairway. Now I'm 160 out. Took my time, set up and hit what I thought was a perfect 7 iron (4). The ball flew true cleared the bunker and hits the rake that someone left on top. It shoots straight back and rolls into the bunker. The bunker was like cement and my wedge bounced off the sand sending the ball across and off the back of the green (5). Then I chip on (6) but it was down hill so it rolled out. I had a 15 footer backup to the pin. I went past by about a foot (7).  I went to tap it in and it spun around the hole and back out (8). Tap in for a 9. All I could do was laugh. 

Next hole, par. Now I'm located right across from the tee box back on 13. Not one to let a hole beat me down. I went over and played the hole again. Seemed so much easier the second time around. Par. Then I made one more bird and the rest pars to close out the round. At least I kept the round in the 70's with a 79. Not bad a 79 with a freaking 9 on a hole. 

I'm still chuckling as I type this! 

Way to come back from some crazy bad luck on 13! And here I thought trees were 90% air. I think it's also insane that to top it off, you hit the rake.  It's funny how this game is and sometimes the best thing to do is laugh it off. 

Played in my standard Sunday Game, and took the DF 2.1 out for a spin... It took me a little while to get used to the roll speed - and our greens went from being dew covered to dry and fast during the course of my round (got up to 95 by the time I was walking off 18).  But that thing is MONEY inside of 8 feet.  

I drove the ball really well - hit 14/14 fairways and 13 greens in reg.  15 pars and 3 bogeys for a 75.  My 3 bogeys were from greenside sand... so that will by my "how did you practice" post in the coming week. 😉 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Not good, not bad. Got caught in a few showers. I'm still trying to find myself with the new sticks but managed to stop the bleeding enough to shoot a crowd pleasing 90 at Windmill Lakes.

Driver was behaving for the most part with a new grip, so there's that.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I actually got to play twice this past week! First round was Thursday at Shady Valley Country Club which I had never played before. I was asked to join a foursome with a couple pastors from my church for an outing with one of our mission partners. We figured we'd be scrambling, but it ended up being a really low-key event and there were only 7 of us who stayed to play golf after lunch, so we all played our own ball and just slapped it around for fun. I was pretty sore from the gym and didn't do any sort of warm-up other than putting so expectations were low. However, I shot an 88 with 38 putts (didn't get down to read most of them because my quads were killing me lol). Not too bad for not caring at all on a course I've never seen before.

Second round was at Whitestone Golf Club on Friday with my regular golf buddy Kaleb. I was less sore than Thursday but still feeling a few things. However, I was able to hit the range before and that all seemed to go pretty well. Everything was off to a great start until my first putt on the fastest greens I've played all season. They had to be rolling close to a 13 as you barely had to tap the ball on most putts. I'd spend the round back and forth between good play and not-so-good and finish with an 84. This surprised me as I felt like I was hitting the ball much better the day before but apparently my bad wasn't as terrible as I thought.

After those rounds, I decided to look at my recent scores and I haven't shot outside of the 80's since July!!! My last 6 recorded rounds are 87, 83, 83, 87, 88, 84! 🙂 Even better, my index hasn't been any higher than 10.0 for that same period!

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, TR1PTIK said:

My last 6 recorded rounds are 87, 83, 83, 87, 88, 84!

Great consistency Tr1ptik!! I see a 70's in you near future!!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

4 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

Wet Sunday for golf but a delayed opportunity to get with old friends for first post-COVID restrictions round that combines overnight "preparation" of food and drink with best conversations in a mountain cabin.  Saturday would have been drier under sunny skies as Sunday started with heavy rain before sunrise and continued more on than off in all manifestations from deluge and driving rain to light drizzle with everything in between.  A good social round of best ball so didn't keep individual score.  Good day for reconnecting and recharging the spirit.

86265351_ElkdaleGC9_25_2022.jpg.82b53adb3e717afc809fc332d5f9ce55.jpg

Elkdale Golf Club 4th fairway and approach with water hazard in front of tee box, narrow tree lined fairway that opened to this broader approach, green just to the left side of the photo.  Talk of coming back here in a few weeks when the colors are peak and balls will disappear wherever they land hahaha.

Love the setting EP!  It doesn't matter what the game is like when the view is that spectacular!!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Got out work a round this Saturday morning and the course to myself, lets just skip the fact that it was 40 degrees with 10 to 15 mph winds making it a bit chilly. Have been working on the driver swing, keeping my hands low after watching a TXG video talking about delivering the club with ulnar deviation which unless you set up like Bryson or how I used to with the arms basically fully extended this does not work. I have been hitting the ball very straight since, some pulls of pushes but very little curve on the ball also with irons. With the wind I still managed to hit 12 of 18 greens, but did not have the short game or putting working as I have not played much lately. Only got up and down 1 time and missed a number of mid-range birdie attempts. Shot a 76 (+5) which has dropped my index to 6.0 which is the lowest I have ever had. Hoping to get a few more round in before the year closes up shop.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

10 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Hoping to get a few more round in before the year closes up shop.

Good shootin' @ejgaudette!  Be sure to post your few remaining rounds in the weekly Virtual Competition 🙂  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

25 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Good shootin' @ejgaudette!  Be sure to post your few remaining rounds in the weekly Virtual Competition 🙂  

Will do for sure

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Got to play at Compass Pointe today using the foursome CTP prize from the MD golf outing....Thanks @Golfspy_CG2!  The foursome was SWMBO, one of her cohorts from the ladies assoc, playing a better ball match against myself & @MDGolfHacker.  And we got our arse's kicked!  🥴   I'm very sorry partner that I played so horribly today.  I completely lost the ability to hit a driver for most of the round and my iron yardages were way off too.  I wish I could bottle the extra 10 yards my irons seemed to be flying today for future use.  I ended up with the worst score I've had in two years.  

If the idea is to ham and egg it around the course, mdgolfhacker said it best that we were another breakfast food...burnt toast.  😳

Even though my golf was turrible, the company was very good and I got to say hi to golfspy_cg2 afterward too.  As I entered the inner sanctum of Rob's golf equipment emporium I swear I could hear angels singing the hallelujah chorus.  Somehow I managed to not buy any of his castoffs. 

The best thing that came out of today was SWMBO saw the stash of golf bling the Rob has.  So I can deflect any criticism about my future purchases by simply saying at least I don't have as much stuff as Rob!!  🤣  

👍

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

7 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Got to play at Compass Pointe today using the foursome CTP prize from the MD golf outing....Thanks @Golfspy_CG2!  The foursome was SWMBO, one of her cohorts from the ladies assoc, playing a better ball match against myself & @MDGolfHacker.  And we got our arse's kicked!  🥴   I'm very sorry partner that I played so horribly today.  I completely lost the ability to hit a driver for most of the round and my iron yardages were way off too.  I wish I could bottle the extra 10 yards my irons seemed to be flying today for future use.  I ended up with the worst score I've had in two years.  

If the idea is to ham and egg it around the course, mdgolfhacker said it best that we were another breakfast food...burnt toast.  😳

Even though my golf was turrible, the company was very good and I got to say hi to golfspy_cg2 afterward too.  As I entered the inner sanctum of Rob's golf equipment emporium I swear I could hear angels singing the hallelujah chorus.  Somehow I managed to not buy any of his castoffs. 

The best thing that came out of today was SWMBO saw the stash of golf bling the Rob has.  So I can deflect any criticism about my future purchases by simply saying at least I don't have as much stuff as Rob!!  🤣  

I wasn't sure whether to react to this post as Sad, Laugh, or Love it... so I just Liked it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”