TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

What a difference a day makes.  After yesterday's beautiful weather, today we woke up to 35 and breezy.  Too cold for Owen, he rolled over and went back to sleep.  I headed out anyway and played the back nine at River Heights with our friend Mark.  

I'm going to go ahead and blame the extra layers for my play, lol.  Just wasn't turning well.  Tee shots were mostly a mess.  Topped a couple trying to kill it.  Had some good recoveries with my 3 wood, I think it knows it's on the chopping block.

Mark had a lot of shots fall out of the sky today but otherwise played decent.  I wound up going (+14) 50.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

And so, “just like that”, pounded the driver today with zero issue, and long…

3 birds on the back to bring me to a tight little 73 today. 

yesterday couldn’t hit an ocean if teed up on the beach, today was on the button, and long. Hit one so long on a downhill-ish hole, I had trouble getting on due to the trees on left side of green, around 330… insane…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

12 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

And so, “just like that”, pounded the driver today with zero issue, and long…

3 birds on the back to bring me to a tight little 73 today. 

yesterday couldn’t hit an ocean if teed up on the beach, today was on the button, and long. Hit one so long on a downhill-ish hole, I had trouble getting on due to the trees on left side of green, around 330… insane…

Sounds like you clicking today!!!  Nice!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Sounds like you clicking today!!!  Nice!!

It’s funny cuz me and my buddy were talking about how you can, from one day later, be a polar opposite from the day before. And Honestly I really don’t know why the driver straighter out today, even had a few baby draws for cryin out loud… 

And weirder yet, the irons were still crispy…

that’s the beauty of this game, every shot, day after day, is different. A new challenge, a new opportunity to do something cool…

2 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

It’s funny cuz me and my buddy were talking about how you can, from one day later, be a polar opposite from the day before. And Honestly I really don’t know why the driver straighter out today, even had a few baby draws for cryin out loud… 

that’s the beauty of this game, every shot, day after day, is different. A new challenge, a new opportunity to do something cool…

I was going to ask if the iron play transfered, but then I realized... you shot 73 with 3 birdies on the back nine... the iron play was obviously in the bag!  "Crispy" I like that.  

Sounds like a good score to post in the weekly Virtual Tourney 😉 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

9 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

... Love this ^ Just such a complicated combination of so many things coming together one day and if any of them are off, the next day is a struggle. Chip Beck shoots a 59 then can't make a cut. The game is just so difficult and why so many of us are addicted to it. As I like to say when playing poorly I can't wait to get back out and fix it and when playing well I can't wait to get back out and repeat it. Since I have been channeling Freddie the last few days and since he plays a fade, I saw him hook 2 balls OB on the first tee of a big tournament. So before even really starting he was hitting 5 off the first tee! If Couples can hit two horrendous shots in a row, why would I be upset hitting just one? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

46 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

The preshot routine is identical in both situations but the noise of brain activity in my head is remarkably different for each type.

... While both should be identical, of course they are not. An audition is absolutely no different rehearsing in my house alone as it is in front of the director/producer. But I can't get cast in my house and mentally that changes things. The "trick" is understanding that and using it to your advantage. There will be some nerves so try to channel them into positive energy, not negative energy. Like Tiger said, if he isn't a little nervous on the first tee it is time to quit playing. Physically hitting a 7 iron on a par 3 from 160 is absolutely no different playing alone or playing with golfers better than you. The goal is to bring the two closer together mentally.

... And always remember, nobody really cares how you play as long as you keep up and are pleasant company. You may remember me playing with a Outlaw Tour player that shot 7 under on the front 9 from the tips in a practice round for the Phoenix Open qualifier, so he had serious business to take care of. My other normal pards are about a 12 and an 18 and when they hit bad shots Jamie seemed to pay no attention. But when they hit good shots for them, he was very supportive and after 18 thanked all of us for sharing the day with him.  It truly is the most amazing thing about this sport compared to so many others ... two players of radically different abilities can play together and have a great day! 

2 hours ago, JerryB said:

What a difference a day makes.  After yesterday's beautiful weather, today we woke up to 35 and breezy.  Too cold for Owen, he rolled over and went back to sleep.  I headed out anyway and played the back nine at River Heights with our friend Mark.  

I'm going to go ahead and blame the extra layers for my play, lol.  Just wasn't turning well.  Tee shots were mostly a mess.  Topped a couple trying to kill it.  Had some good recoveries with my 3 wood, I think it knows it's on the chopping block.

Mark had a lot of shots fall out of the sky today but otherwise played decent.  I wound up going (+14) 50.

35*!!!!!  I think Owen had right idea😱. Have to give you Guys credit for toughing it out.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Played Exec’s Tuesday & Friday & Big Boy 9 Wednesday.  I do notice a difference in my play between Exec and Regular GC.  
I concentrate more on a Regular GC, talk a little less than playing Exec..  I’m using the Exec as practice and more fun & relaxation.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

35*!!!!!  I think Owen had right idea😱. Have to give you Guys credit for toughing it out.

... Yup 35 degrees is a geometry angle, not a temperature any golfer should have to deal with. 🤪

Another tale of 2 nines today.  Awful ball striking on the front for a 8 over 44, then 3 bogies 3 birdies and 3 pars on the back for  36....80 for the day.  (10 over thru 11, then 2 under for the last 7 holes)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

24 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I play golf on a (New Jersey) winter golf tour that is about to enter its 52nd year in less than a month. In the 5+ years that I have played on that tour, which has 40 pros and more than 100 amateur golfers including 56 seniors, there have been no more than 4 events that were canceled (a few were postponed for from 1 to 5 days, but they were ultimately played).  We play a 22 event schedule, plus a tour championship every year, and there is a waiting list to get on the tour — only the top 72 golfers overall (including pros and amateurs from plus to 20-something handicappers) get into the tour championship, where I went in as the #6 seed in the amateur group following the last season.

On that tour, we have played in conditions where temperatures were below freezing and wind chills were as low as -15* F. Some guys (not me!) play in shorts every week, and they walk every 18-hole round (I have taken a cart only three times in my five full seasons on this tour).  We would often kill to be playing in 35* F. temperatures.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

6 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

On that tour, we have played in conditions where temperatures were below freezing and wind chills were as low as -15* F. Some guys (not me!) play in shorts every week, and they walk every 18-hole round (I have taken a cart only three times in my five full seasons on this tour).  We would often kill to be playing in 35* F. temperatures.

... I tip my cap to you sir. There are tons of people that wake up before 6am too. I am not one of them. Since moving to Phoenix and not complaining about 114* (my limit is 115* and over for playing golf) anything under 60* is no bueno for me. 🥶

13 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I play golf on a (New Jersey) winter golf tour that is about to enter its 52nd year in less than a month. In the 5+ years that I have played on that tour, which has 40 pros and more than 100 amateur golfers including 56 seniors, there have been no more than 4 events that were canceled (a few were postponed for from 1 to 5 days, but they were ultimately played).  We play a 22 event schedule, plus a tour championship every year, and there is a waiting list to get on the tour — only the top 72 golfers overall (including pros and amateurs from plus to 20-something handicappers) get into the tour championship, where I went in as the #6 seed in the amateur group following the last season.

That’s great they want to do it.  Up until 10 years ago we lived in New England and 35* was definitely playable unless there was 3’ snow on the ground. Now under 50* not happening for me.  I’ll wait until afternoon when it’s 75-80*.

Rick

Left Hand, 

You guys are lucky to live and play golf where daytime high temperatures get to 75* or above, no matter the season!

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

You guys are lucky to live and play golf where daytime high temperatures get to 75* or above, no matter the season!

Yes, we are!!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

By the way, we have lots of club pros and NCAA Div I and Div II golf coaches who play in the professional and “open” (a/k/a scratch) amateur divisions. There’s even one 65 year old plus-handicap guy in the open division who used to play on the Hogan or Nike Tour (whatever the Korn Ferry Tour was called back then).

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

My neighbor and I had a 7:45 Tee Time @ Exec.  We got paired up with a couple who had to be mid 80’’.  They turned out to be a blast to play with.  He hit his driver about 145yards which was fine for this track.  Hope to run into them again!  
I was looking at a Birdie putt and it lipped out, Ole Gent asked if we had “Birdie Juice” and we said we didn’t, he replied that it didn’t matter if I missed the putt.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

So played 9 yesterday first time for months and had little practice during that time because I was in too much pain, so literally a drama first hole because I’d hit my TS2 10.5 driver and it went right centre with what looked like a baby draw on a dogleg left 1st hole 360metres. We couldn’t find my Ball and did larger and larger circles and I said let’s go it’s lost, started walking to the green and one of the other guys was waving at me and as I got closer I could see another ball in front of his. Mine hehe 😜 about 250 metres mind blown 🤯 I’ve not hit that long in 5 years, and then I shank my 2nd from 112 metres according to gps and 3rd chip to 5feet and sink the putt… bloody crazy golf…

Someone up there loves me well only for the first hole lol, dunno what happened after that because I was straight-ish with driver not as long but irons were fugly putting good. Just couldn’t stop thinking about the drive on the first…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Because of my slow swing speed, I have played softer golf balls, and felt this was as good as it gets. Today, after reading more about golf balls, reading reviews, and listing to 'No Putts Given', I decided to try playing a firmer ball, and was rather pleased with the results.  I still hit driver pretty much the same, but the real differences was with my irons and short game. My long irons landed much further and straighter, and with my short game, when I hit a green the ball stopped instead of rolling off the green.  I have several 'Up & Downs' today, and for me that is rare.  I feel I still need to work a bit more with the firmer ball, to get the feel of them, but early indications were very positive.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

2 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

You nailed todays temp here, although I’m that early bird guy, first group out every day-

often gets below 60° that early 🥶😉

Horrible round Thursday, shot 47/49:96.  Just could not get the club to the back of the ball. However, we play a net skins game and we played off a 6 so I got 9 shots. Only 3 skins paying $17 each, I had one of them. I had a lousy round but one very good hole made my day.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

44 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

Played round #96 for 2022 this evening, 52* at tee time, overcast and a good breeze blowing.  Started with a par and ended with a par, all bogies between them except one triple, sometimes trees help and sometimes they hinder, but a +9 45 at Caz. 

Driver and 19* Tommy Armour fairway hybrid were connecting right out of the 1st tee box reaching the 360 yard distance in 2 and lag putting was dialed in.  Irons were doing their thing and occasionally a hit was thin or fat, but 6 less than yesterday.  I think I have enough rounds to put together the best two for the MGS Forum Golf Championship this week.

1195617369_10.7.20223rdteetogreen(2)800h.jpg.a7424bfaf92388a3c5ad55ce14309589.jpg

3rd tee box with the 3rd green in the center, 5th green on the left, and 4th fairway visible through the tree to the right of the 3rd green.  Lots of leaves starting to litter the ground making ball location more challenging.  Cazenovia Creek is just the other side of the taller vegetation in the foreground.

All I can or will say is CONGRATULATIONS on the number of rounds you have in the books so far this year!

Any time you get an opportunity to be outdoors in nature doing something you like at least a little bit makes it all worthwhile! 👍

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

9 hours ago, JerryB said:

It will take awhile to get used to swinging with extra layers on; it's a different feeling for sure.  However, always good advice is "swing easy when it's breezy".  I know the temptation to swing harder, but an easier swing will produce better contact with less spin, which is much better in the wind and especially better wearing extra layers.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is just false information. There are very few made for shafts these days.

The ventus shafts for TM and Callaway, PX red shafts for TM and some they make for Callaway are pretty much the only made for shafts.

The retails shafts that are offered from the different club manufactures are just mass produced and several of them like px hzrdus are still high end shafts that if bought new from a dealer cost $300 plus

Not quite; there are still a number of “made for” Speeder and Pro Series shafts from Fujikura (others, too, including Motore models). You can go to the “Shafts” tab on the Fujikura website and there is an “OEM Shafts” selection there. This shows all of the different “made for” shafts in their lineup, and there are still quite a few.  These are all current or very recent shafts, as Fujikura moves the shafts that are not in currently available OEM clubs to their “Legacy Shafts” page.  I am a long-time Fujikura Charter Dealer, and I use this information frequently.  Mitsubishi also has a “made for” line of Tensei shafts that are still in production.

Edited by funkyjudge

Bags - Vessel

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Over the past couple years I’ve been pretty consistent with the driver as far as  distance and FIRs, but the trajectory varies.  A small percentage will have a baby draw, but most are various degrees of fade.  And I hate the fade simply because I know it’s the result of swing flaws (in my case). And I love the draw because I get increased distance. 

Several months ago at the range, I was all of a sudden hitting baby draw after baby draw.  The release felt different.  Since then, I’ve learned another key ‘feel’ regarding my shoulder rotation on the downswing, but I can’t cause either to happen on demand, and still only get a small percentage.  But...there is tomorrow...

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

11 hours ago, Paul Hedrick said:

Because of my slow swing speed, I have played softer golf balls, and felt this was as good as it gets. Today, after reading more about golf balls, reading reviews, and listing to 'No Putts Given', I decided to try playing a firmer ball, and was rather pleased with the results.  I still hit driver pretty much the same, but the real differences was with my irons and short game. My long irons landed much further and straighter, and with my short game, when I hit a green the ball stopped instead of rolling off the green.  I have several 'Up & Downs' today, and for me that is rare.  I feel I still need to work a bit more with the firmer ball, to get the feel of them, but early indications were very positive.

Interesting, used to play with the cheaper balls rock's we called them lol. ... bought a few box's of Taylormade last year no better or worse than Callaway Titleist etc, but might try what you've done...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

13 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Horrible round Thursday, shot 47/49:96.  Just could not get the club to the back of the ball. However, we play a net skins game and we played off a 6 so I got 9 shots. Only 3 skins paying $17 each, I had one of them. I had a lousy round but one very good hole made my day.

…aaaand that’s why they call it gambling. It makes the drink after the round taste better, doesn’t it? 🥂

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member