• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

44 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Maybe I will create a thread to chronicle my journey!

Awesome gift JN!! Looking forward to reading about your quest to get into the 80's!!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

Awesome gift JN!! Looking forward to reading about your quest to get into the 80's!!

My local course just announced what a season pass (full 7 day play) wold be and its only going to be 800, which this year at 50 for a weekend round I only need to play 16 times to make it worth it. I will be putting my request in with the wife shortly.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

7 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

My local course just announced what a season pass (full 7 day play) wold be and its only going to be 800, which this year at 50 for a weekend round I only need to play 16 times to make it worth it. I will be putting my request in with the wife shortly.

Wow, that is a heck of a deal! After tax our course is $2000 for a single, full membership. But it does include multiple member only events/scrambles, league dues for either Men's league or a 2 man scramble league (which I participated in this year and will next year), and eight free 9 hole passes that my wife will use. We actually just bought a home on the course and will be moving at the end of November, so to say I am excited is an understatement!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

19 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Wow, that is a heck of a deal! After tax our course is $2000 for a single, full membership. But it does include multiple member only events/scrambles, league dues for either Men's league or a 2 man scramble league (which I participated in this year and will next year), and eight free 9 hole passes that my wife will use. We actually just bought a home on the course and will be moving at the end of November, so to say I am excited is an understatement!

Yeah the course is smaller and just got bought so I think they are trying to get people to join, plus the conditions are not the best, just ok and sometimes have some solid bare patches. The plan is to do some work on it though so I am guessing this will go up in future years, but I'll take advantage while I can.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Well gents, I will be back on the course for another quick 9 at 4pm today. Update to follow. Going to aim to beat yesterday's 49, even if it's by one stroke!

#LeftyGang

3 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Well gents, I will be back on the course for another quick 9 at 4pm today. Update to follow. Going to aim to beat yesterday's 49, even if it's by one stroke!

Rained out before we could finish. Nasty storm blew in as we were 4 holes in and my 5 year old got cold so we called it. Through 5 holes, I was two strokes ahead of my pace from yesterday, so it was looking promising. Poor off the tee box but approach shots were solid and putts were rolling well. Getting cold in Wisconsin until the end of next week where we will get another shot if 60 degree weather Thursday and Friday. Hoping to get out both days!

#LeftyGang

On 10/10/2022 at 12:37 PM, MattF said:

I wanted to slit my wrists yesterday, shot probably triple digits but stopped keeping score because it was bringing me down.

Today...

giphy.gif

38/38 76 for a new PB at Windmill Lakes.

1686345593_Screenshot2022-10-10at13-27-43TheGrintScore.png.77ba6d733aaf1dfab1658f26edfab4e8.png

Great round!!  Don't go to sleep tonight... I seem to forget how I did that the next day!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... The Golf Gods giveth and taketh away. Fast fairways but horrible greens. Right now is the worst time to be playing in Phoenix. Many courses are closed for over seeding and others are already pre-conditioning the course for over seeding. Fairways are scalped tight and we get a ton of roll. Greens are ignored since they will be re-doing them in less than a week. As many here know an actual 300yd drive is quite a feat and I can't count the times on the course when someone claimed a 300 yd drive or longer only to find out it was actually 20-30yds short. On the fairway pictured I made a great swing, center contact, nice high draw with plenty of roll and easily a 300yd drive. 💪  We laser'ed the flag and calculated my drive to be ... 298. 🤪  

... Played well after a couple weeks of mediocre driving and ball striking and I could have gone much lower but the greens were abominations and I just couldn't make a putt. Not complaining because most courses are closed so we are lucky to even have a course to play. And it is $22 to walk at twilite. This city course is a par 70 and with one bogie and 3 birdies I shot a 68. Two birdies were inside a foot and the third was 8 feet and somehow found the hole. 5 other putts inside 10 feet bounced around without coming close. Weather was ideal and pards are good dudes so again, no complaints. 

1274728360_Encantogreen.JPG.4bdb3f3a8ee859f2017b8cf2c2da0d8a.JPG421019817_Encantogreen2.JPG.38b08b2e2591d1eb289b39480d63f871.JPG1975977650_Encantofairway.JPG.a37fff62441bc9d0feaa792942afca0f.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 10/10/2022 at 5:29 PM, Rickp said:

Yup, I asked the doc if they ever had tours of the hospital surgery departments so we could see the robots and yes they do!  I’m on the list for next tour. 

Just like Star Wars!  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Just like Star Wars!  😂

Yup, I get a bit geeked up over equipment like that.  I guess spending 45 years in manufacturing will do that to you.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

12 hours ago, edingc said:

I paid $700 this year, I expect it to go to $800 next year. Still a great deal. But yes, there are bare spots and some spotty conditions throughout the year. Still wouldn't change a thing! Golf is golf and we need more courses that are accessible to everyone.

I totally agree, I will take it, does not both me. Its the closest to my house and its still golf. I am actually concerned about the course and its accessibility long term. They tighten up on the dress code, and tee times when I used to be able to sneak out a few minutes before the first tee time no problem. The other course they own is Owls Nest which is a resort style course that costs a lot more, is more buttoned up shall we say and I just hope that this course does not turn that way too much. There are not too many courses and if this places gets too pricey I will be playing a lot less. So thinking take advantage this year and maybe the year after and hope things don't change too much.

On 10/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, EasyPutter said:

Played round #96 for 2022 this evening.

Is that all? Sheesh… light weight! I’m prolly in the 120-130 range by now…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

17 hours ago, chisag said:

17 hours ago, chisag said:

... The Golf Gods giveth and taketh away. Fast fairways but horrible greens. Right now is the worst time to be playing in Phoenix. Many courses are closed for over seeding and others are already pre-conditioning the course for over seeding. Fairways are scalped tight and we get a ton of roll. Greens are ignored since they will be re-doing them in less than a week. As many here know an actual 300yd drive is quite a feat and I can't count the times on the course when someone claimed a 300 yd drive or longer only to find out it was actually 20-30yds short. On the fairway pictured I made a great swing, center contact, nice high draw with plenty of roll and easily a 300yd drive. 💪  We laser'ed the flag and calculated my drive to be ... 298. 🤪  

... Played well after a couple weeks of mediocre driving and ball striking and I could have gone much lower but the greens were abominations and I just couldn't make a putt. Not complaining because most courses are closed so we are lucky to even have a course to play. And it is $22 to walk at twilite. This city course is a par 70 and with one bogie and 3 birdies I shot a 68. Two birdies were inside a foot and the third was 8 feet and somehow found the hole. 5 other putts inside 10 feet bounced around without coming close. Weather was ideal and pards are good dudes so again, no complaints. 

1274728360_Encantogreen.JPG.4bdb3f3a8ee859f2017b8cf2c2da0d8a.JPG421019817_Encantogreen2.JPG.38b08b2e2591d1eb289b39480d63f871.JPG1975977650_Encantofairway.JPG.a37fff62441bc9d0feaa792942afca0f.JPG

That green looks like a roller coaster.

im a big drive guy in my circle of old farts, and to get to 300, you need a few things to happen. First a true masher, then a downhill, or a hard and dry. Or, be young with a sweet swing… a good day with the driver and I avg 257. And that will include a few true bombs.

pros average another 50 yards… goodness!

After a week full of 79-80’s, finally had a nice one over today, and of course my buddy had to beat me by one…

11 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

im a big drive guy in my circle of old farts, and to get to 300, you need a few things to happen. First a true masher, then a downhill, or a hard and dry.

... Although I have never been a big hitter, I have that designation at 69 with most of the "mature" golfers I play with. But every now and then we get paired up with a true young gun that carries their driver 20-40 yds past where mine ends up after roll. Learning to play with a solid block of persimmon wood and a balata ball that spun off the course when hit hard with a hair open or closed face, I love seeing younger players today that grew up with low spinning balls and large forgiving drivers that can really get it out there. 

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Although I have never been a big hitter, I have that designation at 69 with most of the "mature" golfers I play with. But every now and then we get paired up with a true young gun that carries their driver 20-40 yds past where mine ends up after roll. Learning to play with a solid block of persimmon wood and a balata ball that spun off the course when hit hard with a hair open or closed face, I love seeing younger players today that grew up with low spinning balls and large forgiving drivers that can really get it out there. 

I'm the shorter carry guy that will be biting at someone's heels all day from the fairway.  I played with a couple 65+ guys the other day and a turtle would take weeks to cover the distance they hit the ball, amazing, but I did get a compliment when one said I would get an extra 20-30 yards if I used equipment that was retailed within the past 30 years.🤣

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

20 minutes ago, chisag said:

I am one of the longer hitting players on my 20-man travel golf team (ages 61-77), or at least I was prior to cancer surgery on my leg in September. We’re going to find out if that is still true when I play golf tomorrow for the first time since Sept 12.

Even though I drive the ball 235-245 yards at age 73, and occasionally knock one out there to 265+, when I play with the “young guns” (some aren’t that young) on my winter golf tour, I get out-driven by as much as 70-75 yards.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Today I shot a 41/44:85 at my home club, Plantation Palms.  My handicap index is 18, course Hcap is 15.

My score 85 - CH 15 = 70 less Course Par 72 = -2 with 8 net birdies and longest drive was 194 yards.

I had 10/14 FIRs for 71%; 7/18 GIRs for 39% and 35 Putts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

20 minutes ago, MacTourney said:

I'm the shorter carry guy that will be biting at someone's heels all day from the fairway.  I played with a couple 65+ guys the other day and a turtle would take weeks to cover the distance they hit the ball, amazing, but I did get a compliment when one said I would get an extra 20-30 yards if I used equipment that was retailed within the past 30 years.🤣

... I will say the combination of equipment and hard fast desert fairways have me holding aging at bay and I am hitting the ball with my driver as long or longer than in my prime. Granted that was back on lush well watered Midwest fairways so yea, modern equipment is a game changer for older players.

At 71, I'm not a long ball hitter, although I do hit my fairway woods and hybrids fairly straight and of decent length to make up somewhat for the lack of tee ball distance.

Today was day one of our member/member tournament.  Format was modified chapman.  At the stag dinner last night, we bought our team in the Calcutta but didn't do very well today.  Tomorrow is play your own ball and both balls count for aggregate score (net with max double net bogey), so hopefully we will fare better tomorrow and win some of our money back since we were completely out of the payout today.

After the chapman, they shuffled all members into ABCD teams and we played the horserace.  For those of you not familiar with horserace, it's true alternate shot and you eliminate the highest scores as you progress.  The team that I was on won the whole shebang with a chip off on 18 ... so, I did win $100 in pro shop credit.

D432D5D4-7C5B-46FA-B5E8-418B28AEA518.jpeg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Owen and I played the back nine at River Heights today.  We were the only ones on the course; it's getting pretty chilly in the morning and we might be about done ourselves.

My swing was off again today.  I know what's wrong but can't seem to correct it; mental more than anything else.  I put a couple in the pond on 11 and topped a few others but otherwise didn't play too terrible.  On my approach on 18 I finally got my swing sorted and absolutely flew the green.  It's there, I just have to tease it out.  Managed to hole the chip to finish really strong.

We both had identical scores of 50, and at times it was an adventure getting there!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I tweaked my back playing yesterday, but managed a 77 that included 2 birdies on the back nine.

I wasn't going to play today; maybe just pitch and putt, but when I got to the course I hit the ball pretty well swinging nice and easy.  So decided to play.  😁  Started out par, birdie, par, par... then on the par 5 #5, the wheels came off.  Of course, I gave it a little extra off the tee, and then I knew I was toast. Bogey, double, double, bogey, double... +7 for 9 holes and I called it a day.  I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow.  😃

Yesterday my self and a fried went to play a quick 9 holes for preparation for the Church competition we are sponsoring on Saturday. I tried to play very conservatively and make sure I restrict my backswing.  I sure hope I get it to work the same come tomorrow morning as I played really solid golf, even with the couple of branches that got in the way of the ball. I played a one under par 35 with 3 birdies and 2 bogies, of which the one bogie was definitely stupid, I went into the 9th at 2 under. The only downside of that is my handicap got gut to a 5.1 after that round, one day before a Stableford competition. 

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg TS3 8.5°

default_taylormade-small.jpg.38fe6f95dda21245f3fac3407e54d0b3.jpg RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5°

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX Utility 3 iron

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX7 4 Iron - PW

default_cleveland-small.jpg.903af6280bdadd06ef9c8f0c4dfe4218.jpg 54° and 60° Wedges

default_scotty-cameron-1.gif.aa4eac2325a98c0e94d74d30721a263a.gif Newport 2 Gunmetal

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg Pro V1

Garmin Fenix 6 X Pro with Garmin Golf to track stats and use for on course range finding