TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Freezing rain yesterday afternoon; ice all over this morning, but it was sunny and warmed up to 40º.  The course opened up for play about 11:45 with a shotgun start so everyone could finish their round.  My wife and I could only play 9-holes since she had an appointment at 2:30pm.  I decided to walk; it's warmer that way!!

Birdied the first hole; parred the 2nd, then bogeyed the next 3 holes; parred the the last 4 holes for a 2 over round of 39.  

Ponds were frozen over; spots of water on some low areas on fairways and greens that were frozen if they were in shadows.  A tee was difficult to get into some tee boxes.  Winter golf has arrived early!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 hours ago, Mr. Mushball said:

OMG, today.  

Kinda cold, but not really.  48° maybe?  A bit foggy to start but cleared up by the second or third hole.  Sunny from there and humid enough I didn't need the down.  Felt like the first half wasn't bad, but not as good as I could do.  Driver wasn't working too well, but not bad enough to sacrifice the distance.  Easy second shot got me almost on, so ok.  I'm at best a double bogey player so on in three is sweet.  I got some short game.

First half went smooth, ended up with a 51.  Three under my last round on this course a few days ago.  Nice, felt a bit deflated.  Felt like I had done a bit better, but ok.  Mind you the last round dropped my course handicap by one point.  

PXL_20221123_210918228_MP.jpg.b71651c5637c934a3058118559c22e06.jpg

I took my time at the turn.  Grabbed a sandwich (extra mustard, no mayo thanks).  Let two groups go through.  The starter said there was only a twosome after me for the rest of the day, so I half debated grabbing the tripod and getting some tee shot vids, but didn't. Whatever, there was now a crowd.  I had a sandwich, and three beers from the turn so I had no need to rush.  Decided to not hit driver for once and just get out 150 to an easy 7i for a second shot in.  Sure enough slammed it short into a tree on the right.  Why did I rush it? 

Luckily they were falling well for me and I had a clear shot past the bunker for a good third shot on.  I had been playing this way the first half, but this was the first time I consciously made a choice to just punch it into a good Pw range and be comfy.  I'm not a scratch player, but I could be a bogey player.

I got it.  Hit nice and got on. Two puts and bogey. Took this method and hit 50 on the back nine.  The back nine is harder, and I usually swing 10 over whatever I hit on the front, so this was sweet.  101 at the end.  Five under and five less than my last trip on the track.  Gotta love that.

I'd add another photo, but the option seems to be missing after the first upload

That's what I call smart Golf, keep that going and you'll be a bogey golfer and better sooner than you think. Wish I was that smart lol, good luck...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

After 3.5 inches of rain yesterday, the course was ridiculously wet.  Skies were overcast and a cool wind kept us in a light jacket.  With the wet fairways and cool air, the course played long.  The greens rolled fairly well, but the breaks and speed were difficult to manage.  Any shots from the fairway that were even the slightest bit fat were punishing.  I added a club for every shot and still seemed to come up short of the green far too often.  Closed the round out with an 85, which is disappointing but in relation to how others in my group played, not that bad.  We had 2 threesomes today playing 1 gross/1 net best ball.  My A player was a -1 handicap player and he played what he claims to be his worst round at this club, shooting an 87.  It was indeed the worst that I'd ever seen him shoot.  But, our C player played well and we ended up winning 2 of the 3 bets.  (We play 6/6/6 with each 6 holes being one bet).  Looks like another full day of rain tomorrow.  Hopefully, not another 3+ inches!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 11/18/2022 at 7:41 PM, Rickp said:

.. struggled with everything in the bag except Divot Tool.

😂 that is HILARIOUS!!! 🤣

BTW I've heard some of those old farts there in FL are pretty good with their ball retrievers, too 🤪

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

😂 that is HILARIOUS!!! 🤣

BTW I've heard some of those old farts there in FL are pretty good with their ball retrievers, too 🤪

I consider myself Expert with my ball retrieving...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

11 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

😂 that is HILARIOUS!!! 🤣

Some guys Ball retrievers need to be regripped every 6 months!!  
I don’t carry one, I figure if a ball wants to drown itself because I’m playing bad so be it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I don’t carry one, I figure if a ball wants to drown itself because I’m playing bad so be it.

So, I guess that means you are not "an old fart".  Congratulations!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

So, I guess that means you are not "an old fart".  Congratulations!!

Nope, I fit right into “Ole Fart” category.

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I could have used a ball retriever in my bag yesterday when trying to get my ball out of standing water in the fairway.  Here is a tip to all... waterproof shoes are only effective if the water is below the top of the shoe... but they are also very good at keep water IN the shoe...

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Friday morning with the Boyz.  Foggy, light mist & 8 mph breeze.  The course “geniuses” were watering while we were playing.  1st hole I hit the green into casual water!   
Played pretty good otherwise +4.  PXG driver is getting better, takes some time getting used to it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

12 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Friday morning with the Boyz.  Foggy, light mist & 8 mph breeze.  The course “geniuses” were watering while we were playing.  1st hole I hit the green into casual water!   
Played pretty good otherwise +4.  PXG driver is getting better, takes some time getting used to it.

Sounds like your greens crew and my greens crew went to the same "Genius" School... haha.  

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

10 minutes ago, Doctor K said:

Getting into Winter Golf with frozen greens in spots, but did OK. 11 over with 4 doubles including a rare penalty. It was 37 degrees on the first tee but by the back 9, it was pleasant.

I used to love those rounds when I lived in the PNW.  It was fun to watch the cart path bounces from the middle of the fairway 🙂.  Playing on my frozen course really helped my driving distance 🤪

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

23 hours ago, Rickp said:

How do you like your 923s now that you’ve had some playing time with them?  Also, was there a second choice contender before deciding on the 923s?  Same question regarding the shaft. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

49 minutes ago, GaryF said:

How do you like your 923s now that you’ve had some playing time with them?  Also, was there a second choice contender before deciding on the 923s?  Same question regarding the shaft. 

I’m good with the 923’s, took a while.  There really wasn’t a 2nd option except stay with the Ping G410.  
As far as the shaft stayed with Recoils except went to the F2.  
I was thinking about PXG never got around to get a fitting.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

38 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I’m good with the 923’s, took a while.  There really wasn’t a 2nd option except stay with the Ping G410.  
As far as the shaft stayed with Recoils except went to the F2.  
I was thinking about PXG never got around to get a fitting.  

I’ve been going back and forth between Miz and Titliest but leaning toward Miz with Recoils.  I have an older Recoil 4x0 F3 on my driver and really like it.  I visited PXG off of I-Drive in Oct and got to touch the clubs but not hit.  Still intrigued by PXG but nearest up here is 2 hr drive requires too much planning to sched a fitting and just not sure it’s worth it.  Seems like a poor marketing strategy.

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

1 hour ago, GaryF said:

I’ve been going back and forth between Miz and Titliest but leaning toward Miz with Recoils.  I have an older Recoil 4x0 F3 on my driver and really like it.  I visited PXG off of I-Drive in Oct and got to touch the clubs but not hit.  Still intrigued by PXG but nearest up here is 2 hr drive requires too much planning to sched a fitting and just not sure it’s worth it.  Seems like a poor marketing strategy.

We have fitting days at a local range/lesson facility.  Mizuno, PXG, Taylor Made, Callaway and maybe a couple more 2 or 3 times a month, not on same days.  Cost is $25 and is refunded with purchase.  
Titleist used to participate but split off and have one of the golf instructors do a fitting for $100 at a different facility.  
Anyway PXG is very accessible here.

Rick

Left Hand, 

On 11/19/2022 at 5:38 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I'll be doing this again, it was the most stress free round once had in a long time and I just had a good time being out there.

That..

Is..

AWESOME!!!

Really nice to hear 👍

Another challenge .. which now that I think of it, I need to do myself .. is play worse ball = hit two and play the worse lying or positioned one for the next shot, repeat.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

On 11/22/2022 at 6:38 PM, fozcycle said:

Shot a 39/40:79 today with two birdies and an eagle plus only 28 putts. On top of that, my longest drive was 260 yards. 9/14 FIR fo4 64%; 6/18 GIR for 33% with 50% Up n Downs! The thrill of the day came after a birdie on par 5 #9, followed by a 107 yard Eagle on par 4 #10, then followed by a birdie on par 5 #11. 

Wow that's some fancy shooting there, Mr Foz!! Congrats on a great round!!! 

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

27 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Another challenge .. which now that I think of it, I need to do myself .. is play worse ball = hit two and play the worse lying or positioned one for the next shot, repeat.

... Do it! When I am swinging poorly I need to concentrate on making good swings in a practice round. But when I am swinging well or just OK, I LOVE playing worst ball. You still get to hit good shots, you just don't play them. 🤪  And turning your worst shot into whatever your level of a good hole is, can be very rewarding. And of course hitting 2 really good shots is it's own reward. And if you really want to amp up the pressure, play worst ball with a partner. Choosing the worst of two when you want to support your pard after they hit a great shot is even more difficult than doing it alone. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

That..

Is..

AWESOME!!!

Really nice to hear 👍

Thank you! I've thought about doing the same thing, I think it would be a good way to find out what kind of creativity and recovery game I can muster up.

17 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

That..

Is..

AWESOME!!!

Really nice to hear 👍

Haha that's priceless, that's my normal game most of the time....

17 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

..recovery game ...

..is the best part of my whole golf game .. I uhh get to practice those shots often....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 5:25 PM, Bang60 said:

Well I hit 2 excellent shots today, par3 135metres went 2inches down the grip on my 6iron to 4feet yeah missed birdie lol, par 4 nice baby draw into cross wind about 230 metres very happy with that as I’ve not been practicing with sore muscles lol. 

9C6D6CA2-9715-4EFA-87C1-A60D2E9D4752.jpeg

I've quoted myself because I actually stood on the tee box thinking I need cut this because I have too much club if nut it, and I did bloody hell been along time coming that shot. These Mizuno MP32 irons are getting better and better, I've had a buzz for a few days just enjoying this feeling even if I don't do it often I've proved I can do it again.....

Gunna play my first game in like 3 weeks tomorrow. Still no answers to my physical problems, but gunna go with the “easy swing”…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes