Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Finally got in a round after a 3 eeek Covid forced vacation.. shot ok, 81, but hit a few really good shots that gave me confidence moving forward. Of course it was a cold morning with multiple layers, but I parred 3 of the first holes which usually result in at least 2 bogies.

short game screwed me up for most of my extra strokes, which is to be expected..

moral of this story is one somehow needs to keep the short game active during periods of inactivity 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

First round yesterday since I returned from Phoenix on Tuesday.  Temps was high 40's and no wind, so not too bad.  Shot 84... 44/40 with one birdie and two triples!!!  Driver was very consistent and I did have some long (for me) drives... one at 240y!!  Ground was still frozen underneath a thawed top layer. Over the past couple of months I have not had a very good short game; haven't spent any practice time chipping and it showed.  Phoenix didn't help; horrible around those greens!!  I'll be in our practice area every day this week.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

59 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Over the past couple of months I have not had a very good short game; haven't spent any practice time chipping and it showed.  Phoenix didn't help; horrible around those greens!!  I'll be in our practice area every day this week.

... I do think practicing the short game produces the best return all things considered. I played everything in the air for 35 years in the Midwest. Soft conditions, long bent grass was perfect and if contact wasn't perfect, hitting just behind the ball the LW slides through the grass producing an excellent shot. Moving to Phoenix with tight lies and Bermuda growing toward you, a LW hit 1/4" behind the ball can stop dead in the Bermuda kind like there is velcro on the ground and face of the club. First time I did that was a real eye opener and had someone told me grass could literally stop a club head in the grass I would have been skeptical. And not only the lie and contact, but if the grain on the green is growing into you when the LW lands it will check immediately and if down grain can roll out more than expected. 

... Bump and run takes the grain out of the equation. I like using the same club for all shots so my 50* is my designated short game club. There are certainly occasion when I still hit my 58* but the majority of the time I bump and run from as much as 50 yards out depending on pin location and lie. I have gotten very good with these shots and the only problem is the occasional bad bounce that can send the ball right or left off line enough to make birdie or saving par difficult. But still preferable to trying to throw a 58* into the air most of the time.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

An 82 that felt like a 92.  Putted well.  Ball striking, not so much.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Foggy then Sunny February day in the Okanagan today, local course opened up unexpectedly and I was able to carve out even par today which was pretty awesome. It might be +1 but they have done something to their holes over the winter so I don't know which is true hahah.

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke Black

Titleist TSi2 18 Degree Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX Hexcel

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball 10 

Nike VR Tour Staff Bag

Titleist Pro V1x and Vice Pro Plus

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... I do think practicing the short game produces the best return all things considered. I played everything in the air for 35 years in the Midwest. Soft conditions, long bent grass was perfect and if contact wasn't perfect, hitting just behind the ball the LW slides through the grass producing an excellent shot. Moving to Phoenix with tight lies and Bermuda growing toward you, a LW hit 1/4" behind the ball can stop dead in the Bermuda kind like there is velcro on the ground and face of the club. First time I did that was a real eye opener and had someone told me grass could literally stop a club head in the grass I would have been skeptical. And not only the lie and contact, but if the grain on the green is growing into you when the LW lands it will check immediately and if down grain can roll out more than expected. 

... Bump and run takes the grain out of the equation. I like using the same club for all shots so my 50* is my designated short game club. There are certainly occasion when I still hit my 58* but the majority of the time I bump and run from as much as 50 yards out depending on pin location and lie. I have gotten very good with these shots and the only problem is the occasional bad bounce that can send the ball right or left off line enough to make birdie or saving par difficult. But still preferable to trying to throw a 58* into the air most of the time.  

Good advice with one caveat… I’ve found that bump and run is a good play, but landing short of the green usually results in the ball popping straight up in the air and goes nowhere.  I used to always play that shot here with good results, but I have yet to master it in AZ.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

37 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Good advice with one caveat… I’ve found that bump and run is a good play, but landing short of the green usually results in the ball popping straight up in the air and goes nowhere.  I used to always play that shot here with good results, but I have yet to master it in AZ.

... It took me awhile to learn how to play it. Remember I am the opposite and very rarely played it back in Chicago. I don't normally throw the ball on the green because if I am that close I will use my putter. It takes a pretty aggressive chipping motion but I have gotten pretty good at it, especially from 10-30 yds. Slightly back in my stance but not as far as a standard chip and a little more level contact as opposed to downward contact. The one thing I really have to be aware of is the slightly darker spots where the water runs off the green and the grain is particularly strong into you and you really have to have some momentum to get through it. This all took about a full year to get really comfortable trying different methods til I settled on the 50* bump and run. I will eventually start playing bump and runs with irons and see how that works. 

52* this morning @ 7:20 Tee Time.  Little chilly but not horrible.  Hit the ball pretty well but hands were cold.  One nice bird on 336yd par 4.  Hit a decent 7wood 2nd shot to about 6’.  Getting used to the 7w and really starting to count on it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Typically don’t practice or play in Jan/Feb but this year in spite of some very cold temps, we have had some 60s, so the past month I’ve had a handful of range sessions and played 3 weeks ago. Have been working on a tough home improvement project the past 8 days, but finished yesterday.  Had a decent practice session a few days ago, and again this morning that i summarized in the ‘What did you practice today’ thread.

Am working on 2 swing/setup changes. Temp got up to 72* today and played 9 this afternoon and felt I did well.  Shot 42 (par 36) that included 2 double bogies, 3 pars, 1 birdie and one 3 putt by missing a 3’ putt.  Greens were very tricky - extremely fast w/ grain, extremely slow against grain.  Because of coloring on the greens, they were difficult to read and kind of unpredictable. I chunked a couple partial wedge shots (typically very good with these), but also hit some very good shots while staying committed to my changes. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

17 hours ago, Kenny B said:

My wife was playing with the ladies group today so I decided to keep practicing my short game.  It was sunny, 48º and about a 10mph breeze; nice day, so I thought... why not walk 9 holes!  I warmed up; got some short game practice in; putted and got called to join a twosome on the tee.  Turns out it was one of the "kids" that works in the pro shop and his buddy.

Of course they were playing from the Blue tees, so I decided to play there; I've been playing Whites and haven't teed it up from the Blues in almost a year.  They said it was fine if I played the Whites, but they were in a cart and I was walking; it just seems easier to play the same tees.  They bot hit the ball pretty well, but were all over the place; their short games were worse than mine!!  Overall, I think I scored better than they did.

I shot 44 (+7)... two doubles and three bogeys which is a little worse than I used to score a year ago, but not terrible.  However, it reinforced my decision to move up to the Whites.  I hit a total of 3 iron shots excluding wedges; one poorly struck 8i that went in the water on #3 for one of my doubles, 5i off the tee on the par 3 #4, and a mis-clubbed 9i after a poor drive and a layup on #7 (my second double).  Every other shot besides driver and wedges was a fairway wood.  I hit some pretty good 3W shots, but I don't like to hit it on most every hole.  #backtothewhites 

Yup, stay where you’re comfortable.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I found the basement of my game today.  52/49 101....  Not a particularly difficult course but I had a day like I haven't had in some time.  I was just totally lost and could not find any feel no matter what I did.  It was frustrating to say the least.  2 Shanks and one block slice OB did significant damage.  8,9,7. but the reality was that from tee to almost green I was atrocious.  Very short approach was fine and putting was serviceable otherwise it might have been 107. 

Didn't figure  out what the fault was until I was walking to the 17th tee even though it should have been obvious from the shanks and the lack of power.  A healthy dose of Early extension helped along with a whole lot of head lifting.  🤬  Such a weird day compounded by a fault that isn't one of my normal mistakes.  I was frustrated but realized its such a huge outlier that there's no sense in dwelling on it.  At least I know how to diagnose that fault now.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

3 hours ago, Syks7 said:

I found the basement of my game today.  52/49 101....  Not a particularly difficult course but I had a day like I haven't had in some time.  I was just totally lost and could not find any feel no matter what I did.  It was frustrating to say the least.  2 Shanks and one block slice OB did significant damage.  8,9,7. but the reality was that from tee to almost green I was atrocious.  Very short approach was fine and putting was serviceable otherwise it might have been 107. 

Didn't figure  out what the fault was until I was walking to the 17th tee even though it should have been obvious from the shanks and the lack of power.  A healthy dose of Early extension helped along with a whole lot of head lifting.  🤬  Such a weird day compounded by a fault that isn't one of my normal mistakes.  I was frustrated but realized its such a huge outlier that there's no sense in dwelling on it.  At least I know how to diagnose that fault now.

Ahhh, winter golf.  I never know what’s going to show up in my game until April/May.  Next round will be better!

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Ahhh, winter golf.  I never know what’s going to show up in my game until April/May.  Next round will be better!

Yeah the only way is up...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Next round will be better!

It has to be!  😆

There were times today where I was questioned whether I'd ever actually swung a golf club before.  Then, when I remembered that I had and managed to banish those negative thoughts from my head I'd step up and take another swing -- which would lead to me into questioning whether my memory of the game was an illusion.  This would inevitably lead to me questioning whether I was mentally sound.  😜

All joking aside I think I've come a long way in the last year.  I would have been apoplectic if I'd had a day like this last year.  Now I'm capable of recognizing this as a day that is in no way representative of my actual game. 

It also helps that I have a weird habit of playing some of my best golf after a humbling like this.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

7 hours ago, Rickp said:

Friday Bacon Boyz, 60*+ @ 7:20 Tee Time with 10 mph breeze.  
Everything was working, 0211 PXG driver was straight & long even with wet grass from rain last night.  
Greens & fareways in pretty lousy shape, putty was hard to keep from bouncing.  I was +3 so pretty happy with that, ummm really very happy with it.  
Breakfast of course, diner was packed for Bird Season!!

... Good round! I always love Fridays as you are done and home posting Rick and I won't be playing for another 1.5 hours. 🤣  If anyone is watching/watched the Phoenix Open today, that's the 15 mph winds we will be playing in. At least coming from the east and not that chilly northern wind we had yesterday. 

35 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Good round! I always love Fridays as you are done and home posting Rick and I won't be laying for another 1.5 hours. 🤣  If anyone is watching/watched the Phoenix Open today, that's the 15 mph winds we will be playing in. At least coming from the east and not that chilly northern wind we had yesterday. 

Thanks, Phoenix Open not on until 2:00 today.  Looking forward to it.   
I don’t like 15 mph winds, that’s too much for us Ole Guys.   
Okay well!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

36 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Good round! I always love Fridays as you are done and home posting Rick and I won't be laying for another 1.5 hours. 🤣  If anyone is watching/watched the Phoenix Open today, that's the 15 mph winds we will be playing in. At least coming from the east and not that chilly northern wind we had yesterday. 

Jason Day is going ok, has he got any chance of winning or just making up the numbers?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

5 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Best round of the year….38/38:76 with a 9 Hcap, that’s net 67.

FIR: 8/14 57% GIR 11/18 61% 32 Putts with 14 pars and 4 bogies(2 on each side).

No birdies, just solid golf.

77AEA2B9-5823-49BF-BD7B-4519D8E6E146.jpeg

Well done!!  

Rick

Left Hand, 

1 minute ago, Bang60 said:

Jason Day is going ok, has he got any chance of winning or just making up the numbers?

I personally would like to see Jason Day back in the mix on weekends, always liked that kid!

Rick

Left Hand,