Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Just now, Lacassem said:

Maybe they were being really nice, never know in German all sounds mean lol

Fortunately i know enough to know otherwise. I wasn't bothered. They should have let us play through on several occasions and the ladies were always looking back at us. Walking through allowed them to play without the pressure of us being on them the whole time. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

They should have let us play through on several occasions and the ladies were always looking back at us…

Ignorance at its finest…

just like when you’re fishing a prime point in a tournament, and a rental boat runs right between your boat and the shore…

not a clue..

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

3 hours ago, Bang60 said:

Back in the day always hit the 1st tee at daylight image.png.efff99bc480e2bafba203d536df33cdb.png not anymore need time to warm up lol

Nope, I still like the 1st off break of dawn golf.  Hope I always do😁

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Three awesome rounds and a chance to hangout with the mother for her birthday.  Also met some awesome playing partners and had the chance to hear some fantastic stories about where they come from, do for work, and what brought them to Orlando.

Went 80-80-75 at Falcon's Fire, Grand Cypress Links, and Hawk's Landing - it has officially pushed the handicap down which I selfishly didn't want for February! Regardless a great chance to escape for a few days.  More importantly, there was lots of beer and wine! Now back to NY to daydream of the possibility of March golf... 

Orlando B.jpg

Orlando A.jpg

Edited by Invader Zim 315

Driver: 2023 Callaway Paradym - Tensei AV White 65X
3w: Mizuno GT 180 14 degree
5w: Cobra Rad Speed 19 degree
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 4-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM7 52F, 56M, 60M
Putter: TaylorMade GTX black
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x #7

2023 Callaway Paradym Driver Tester

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

Same here- they call us the early birds cuz every day, 3 or 4 of us are first off the tee box

Ended the day with a  bird to stay in the 70’s, thank goodness!

it was a bit of a struggle today, as yesterdays magic wasn’t happening… it’s the beauty of this game. Some days you get the bear, and some days the bear gets you…

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

I felt like that too, I've learnt my Brain is NOT in control lol...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Played my first round yesterday with the new LA Putter. Used the new PXG ball. Wind was 19 to 23 mph, but it was a sunny 76 degrees. Shot 1 under and putted very well. Finished birdie-birdie making a 12 footer and a 25 footer to record 71. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the putter and ball. 

Play like a champion today!

12 hours ago, Invader Zim 315 said:

Three awesome rounds and a chance to hangout with the mother for her birthday.  Also met some awesome playing partners and had the chance to hear some fantastic stories about where they come from, do for work, and what brought them to Orlando.

Went 80-80-75 at Falcon's Fire, Grand Cypress Links, and Hawk's Landing - it has officially pushed the handicap down which I selfishly didn't want for February! Regardless a great chance to escape for a few days.  More importantly, there was lots of beer and wine! Now back to NY to daydream of the possibility of March golf... 

Orlando B.jpg

Orlando A.jpg

Very nice!  Played all of those courses, but not that well.  Hawk's Landing was in the rain; played the front nine and the clubhouse kicked us off and we got a raincheck.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I took my car in for a service this morning, and my wife went to the golf course.  I joined her when she made the turn.  It was awful!!  Overnight we had wind 30-40mph with gusts to 50mph.  It was a little better when I got to the course, but not by much.  50º and a little sun; the wind 18-25mph with gusts to 30mph.

I'm amazed that my wife hits her tee shots into the wind about the same distance as when there is no wind... maybe a little further; I'm 10-20 yards shorter.  I managed to keep the ball in the fairway and shot a +3 38; not sure how, seems like I was hitting only punch shots.

We lost another tree on the course overnight.  We have a large bunker on the par 5 #18 that runs along the right side of the fairway from 170y out to and around the green.  Most of the sand is now gone, down to rocks.  A lot of it is up on the fairway and the front part of the green.  Except for some spots it's not playable, at least I won't play out of it.  It's going to take many truckloads of sand to replace it.

I also find that in heavy winds that punch or low knock down shots are the way to go. Funny it also seems when I hit these shots I tend to hit it flush more often. 

56 minutes ago, Javs said:

I also find that in heavy winds that punch or low knock down shots are the way to go. Funny it also seems when I hit these shots I tend to hit it flush more often. 

Punch shots is a drill that one of my instructors hit me doing to work on impact position and feels.   We should probably just play our entire round hitting knockdowns and punch shots.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Punch shots is a drill that one of my instructors hit me doing to work on impact position and feels.   We should probably just play our entire round hitting knockdowns and punch shots.  

You know during a round if I am struggling with my swing then I switch to knock downs and half shots. It seems to get my swing and timing back in place. Slowly then I can gain my confidence and jump back to a normal swing. Often on the range before a round I will only hit little knock down wedges and a couple drives to get confidence and a good feel. 

2 hours ago, Javs said:

... On top of better contact when executed correctly, the lack of spin and lower trajectory can result in identical straight line yardage. Yesterday I had 110yds into a 10 mph winds directly in our face. That is a perfect GW for me without wind so I hit my PW slightly back in my stance, 1/2 swing and it launched low and it bored right through the wind going 125yd which is my normal PW distance. So when people say they hit it just as far they are right and wrong at the same time. A normal PW flies around 90' high or 30 yds in height and 125 length so a total of 155yds. A knockdown flies around 15yds in height so the same 125yd distance is actually 15yds shorter in total distance. 

... The problem I see too often is not maintaining the same tempo for their 1/2 swing. By shortening their swing, club head speed is reduced resulting in less spin. But less skilled players or those that don't execute the shot very often tend to swing harder not trusting the shorter swing will cover the distance needed, and that produces more spin than their normal PW which is the opposite of what is needed and the ball balloons falling well short.  

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

... Great idea. After struggling with my knockdown shot in Chicago's strong winds, I spent an entire fall season playing only knockdowns with every club but my driver. The good news for me was I became proficient and the knockdown turned into a reliable shot for me. The bad news was they usually don't water in fall as courses get ready to close down and pounding every club into the hard ground I developed pretty severe elbow tendonitis and had to take 3 months off. The silver lining was it caused me to switch to graphite in my irons and I am glad I made the switch around 25 years ago as I am sure out had a positive effect on much my body, not just my elbow. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I used to do this with the Assistant (teaching) Pro at my home course, who has now moved on and is Head Pro at a course about 40-45 miles away. Virtually every time he would see me doing a clubfitting session or working on my game on the range he would yell down to me “save some of that for later, Doug; we’re going out to play a few holes after I finish this lesson“. We would end up walking anywhere from four or five to nine holes, and sometimes we would work on punches and knockdown shots; other times, it would be the short game (inside 50-70 yards). I really miss those sessions, which ended about 3 to 3.5 years ago when he left that golf course for a better job.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

6 hours ago, Javs said:

Knock down shots and the hardest shot for me, what’s your secret 🤫 

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

7:45 Tee Time today on a foggy morning, surprised let us out.  Main goal this morning taking PXG 0311 driver out. Missed only 1 of the 7 fareways it was used, with decent distance.  Had a tendency early on to hit it right side but driver was at its best with a slight draw and smooth tempo.  
missed 2 birdies with lip hangers but still   finished +3, 39.  
Driver staying in bag and at $300 seems to be a bargain.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

30 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Knock down shots and the hardest shot for me, what’s your secret 🤫 

I will start by saying a lesson with a teaching pro is probably the best route. However, I will tell you what works for me and you can take it to the range and give it a try. I normally take at least one extra club for the shot. I set up with the ball back in my stance. How far depends on the length of club being used. However, general rule is a ball or two back from normal. I choke down on the club. From here I think of the shot the same way I do to hit low wedge shots. My back swing will be shortened to either 3 o’clock or 12 o’clock and make sure to swing aggressively through the ball. Sometimes I abbreviate the follow through to about 9 or 10 o’clock and other times I just finish the follow through. Lastly, you have to practice the shot and the different distances you will hit it. Once you feel comfortable with the basic shot then, your goal is a low shot that curves with a fade or draw. Those shots are fun and come in handy getting out of trouble. Give it a try. 

... I didn't play today. I know I sound like a broken record but this is the strangest winter since I have been coming to Phoenix 4 years ago. 71* yesterday after way too many mid to low 60* days and then 57* today with 29mph winds. 😳  February average temps are 72* and I think we reached that once other than the Super Bowl when it was 76*. March's average is 76* but the 10 day forecast doesn't have a day in the 70's through March 8. Next 4 days:

59* - 66* - 73* (yea!) - then right back to 58*  ... so a big ole WTF!?!?!? 

1 minute ago, Javs said:

I normally take at least one extra club for the shot. I set up with the ball back in my stance. How far depends on the length of club being used. However, general rule is a ball or two back from normal. I choke down on the club. From here I think of the shot the same way I do to hit low wedge shots. My back swing will be shortened to either 3 o’clock or 12 o’clock and make sure to swing aggressively through the ball. Sometimes I abbreviate the follow through to about 9 or 10 o’clock and other times I just finish the follow through. Lastly, you have to practice the shot and the different distances you will hit it.

... Good stuff. The red is a very over looked fundamental as I see far too many put the ball too far back, some almost at their back foot like a chip. This causes a descending angle of attack and produces more spin, not less. The one thing I would add is make sure your hands are in front of the ball at impact. Many ams tend to flip or pick the ball clean with their full swing and a forward shaft lean is absolutely necessary to execute this shot. 

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Good stuff. The red is a very over looked fundamental as I see far too many put the ball too far back, some almost at their back foot like a chip. This causes a descending angle of attack and produces more spin, not less. The one thing I would add is make sure your hands are in front of the ball at impact. Many ams tend to flip or pick the ball clean with their full swing and a forward shaft lean is absolutely necessary to execute this shot. 

Thank you for the added feedback and I agree 100 percent. Too far back and the ball spins too much and usually off to the right. I think the next major issues people have are not being aggressive enough through the shot and taking too long a back swing. 

2 hours ago, Javs said:

I will start by saying a lesson with a teaching pro is probably the best route. However, I will tell you what works for me and you can take it to the range and give it a try. I normally take at least one extra club for the shot. I set up with the ball back in my stance. How far depends on the length of club being used. However, general rule is a ball or two back from normal. I choke down on the club. From here I think of the shot the same way I do to hit low wedge shots. My back swing will be shortened to either 3 o’clock or 12 o’clock and make sure to swing aggressively through the ball. Sometimes I abbreviate the follow through to about 9 or 10 o’clock and other times I just finish the follow through. Lastly, you have to practice the shot and the different distances you will hit it. Once you feel comfortable with the basic shot then, your goal is a low shot that curves with a fade or draw. Those shots are fun and come in handy getting out of trouble. Give it a try. 

The teaching pro wants to start with other problems that he/she may see, I don’t have the money/time to go that route so will stick with advice from mgs members. 

2 hours ago, chisag said:

Yeah you’re talking about me lol…

2 hours ago, Javs said:

Thank you for the added feedback and I agree 100 percent. Too far back and the ball spins too much and usually off to the right. I think the next major issues people have are not being aggressive enough through the shot and taking too long a back swing. 

Yep I go right, thought I was too aggressive too. We’re still dealing with cyclone damage and rain so not hitting much, I’ve taken screenshots for when I can practice again..

12 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

The teaching pro wants to start with other problems that he/she may see, I don’t have the money/time to go that route so will stick with advice from mgs members. 

I understand, well try out my advice on the range and let me know. I just hope it works for you. If so, it may help your wedge game as well. Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Big thanks to @Javs and @chisag…

Anytime! Hey, that’s what this site is all about.

7 minutes ago, Javs said:

I understand, well try out my advice on the range and let me know. I just hope it works for you. If so, it may help your wedge game as well. Good luck!

Anytime! Hey, that’s what this site is all about.

Yeah I try to help and encourage others here and at golf as well, when I started I was told helping others is part of golf learners were included. Thanks…