TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

4 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Ugh. You had to mention a BeCu Anser 2 and ruin my night!

About 10 years ago I’m playing our Norman course. I hit a wedge onto the green to about 3’. I pulled to the right and threw mine as hard as I could. As I’m in the throwing motion I realized that water runs up the entire right side of the hole, and it was only about 10 yards from where I was.
It almost felt like I was reaching out to grab the putter as it left my hand, soaring high and far looking like a helicopter blade until it finally landed about 25 yards out into the middle of the pond.

My gamer was a Yes! Tracy but I cherished that Ping because I knew what a classic it was, and then on one of the rare times I took it out from display bag I kept it in with a full set of BeCu Eye 2’s, I threw it in a pond because I’m a (not the word I want to use here…) freaking idiot!

I'm the proud owner of a Cleveland form forged ta3 3-9 irons. The PW is at the bottom of a lake at the private club where I used to caddy. Not the type of place you want to take shoes/socks off and go wading in, even on caddy day. 

I had a similar, try to reach out after throwing it two handed like an axe throw. The moment prior I was happy having hit a 200y + yard drive as a 16 yo who rarely hit it that far. Upon realizing it went so far it ran out of FW I had been walking up with PW expecting to hit an 80y ish approach. I could see the ball in the water from 10y away and let 'er rip.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

About 10 years ago I’m playing our Norman course. I hit a wedge onto the green to about 3’. I pulled the birdie putt to the right and threw mine as hard as I could. As I’m in the throwing motion I realized that water runs up the entire right side of the hole, and it was only about 10 yards from where I was.
It almost felt like I was reaching out to grab the putter as it left my hand, soaring high and far looking like a helicopter blade until it finally landed about 25 yards out into the middle of the pond.

My gamer was a Yes! Tracy but I cherished that  mint condition Ping because I knew what a classic it was, and then on one of the rare times I took it out from display bag I kept it in with a full set of BeCu Eye 2’s, I threw it in a pond because I’m a (not the word I want to use here…) freaking idiot!

1 hour ago, richk9holes said:

I'm the proud owner of a Cleveland form forged ta3 3-9 irons. The PW is at the bottom of a lake at the private club where I used to caddy. Not the type of place you want to take shoes/socks off and go wading in, even on caddy day. 

I had a similar, try to reach out after throwing it two handed like an axe throw. The moment prior I was happy having hit a 200y + yard drive as a 16 yo who rarely hit it that far. Upon realizing it went so far it ran out of FW I had been walking up with PW expecting to hit an 80y ish approach. I could see the ball in the water from 10y away and let 'er rip.

I’ve never thrown a club any further than to the golf cart… but it did bounce off the ground and put a hole in the fender of the cart.  😳

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I’ve never thrown a club any further than to the golf cart… but it did bounce off the ground and put a hole in the fender of the cart.  😳

Amateur move. It’s not a real club toss if you can retrieve the club, Kenny. 😜

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

That’s fantastic! You bounced back from that 1st hole like a champ. 👋👋👋👋

Thank you! That round was one I'm most proud of since I kept the mental game in check and didn't let a disappointing first hole carry on throughout the round and hopefully it's the start of something good. 

I've pressured myself too much the last couple of years and have been in the process of recovering from the downward spiral that has been my mental game. I had forgotten this game is supposed to be fun. Thankfully, through friendships here and with some friends at work I'm starting to remember why we play this game. It's not all about the scoring, but the memories we make both on and off the course. 

About 10 years ago I’m playing our Norman course. I hit a wedge onto the green to about 3’. I pulled the birdie putt to the right and threw mine as hard as I could. As I’m in the throwing motion I realized that water runs up the entire right side of the hole, and it was only about 10 yards from where I was.

My gamer was a Yes! Tracy but I cherished that  mint condition Ping because I knew what a classic it was, and then on one of the rare times I took it out from display bag I kept it in with a full set of BeCu Eye 2’s, I threw it in a pond because I’m a (not the word I want to use here…) freaking idiot!

Oh man, of all the putters not that one.  I had 2 of them and a “friend” kept bugging me for one of them and I let him have it.  A little while went by asked him about and the a$$$$$e sold it !!  I’ll never do that again.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

BTW, I’ve never thrown a club.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

53 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Thank you! That round was one I'm most proud of since I kept the mental game in check and didn't let a disappointing first hole carry on throughout the round and hopefully it's the start of something good. 

I've pressured myself too much the last couple of years and have been in the process of recovering from the downward spiral that has been my mental game. I had forgotten this game is supposed to be fun. Thankfully, through friendships here and with some friends at work I'm starting to remember why we play this game. It's not all about the scoring, but the memories we make both on and off the course. 

Sounds like the “Four Foundations” was a good purchase. I’m about 40 pages deep so far.

11 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Sounds like the “Four Foundations” was a good purchase. I’m about 40 pages deep so far.

I really enjoyed it and will continue to reference it for a long time. One of the things I really enjoy about it is it's not overly technical and Jon keeps it simple with things like managing expectations and course strategy. I'm glad you're enjoying it, I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to improve their game without falling down a rabbit hole of swing mechanics.  

17 hours ago, Rickp said:

Jiffy Pop popcorn handle😁

Little story.  Back in the early 70’s I was a Toolmaker for an OEM that made specialized machinery (forming, stamping, assembly, welding) andTooling, it was an interesting job because the Toolmakers had a great deal of input/latitude into the design of tooling.    
I was working on an machine that was a double progressive die & assembly really fun project.  Another Toolmaker was working on a Rebuild of the Jiffy Pop popcorn wire form machine and tooling.  Somehow he broke his hand and I was moved over to finish the project.  Kind of a letdown but was still a learning process.  I had never worked on a forming and welding machine.  
After I finished that was able to get back to my other project.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Had an individual match play that I won 5 and 3.  The good: shot 79.  The bad: lost four balls and ended the day with a complete shank OB on the 18th hole.

I wonder what Arccos thinks I need to work on.  Hmm.......

Screenshot2023-05-27142000.png.620941d338857c7c6c6376c054a12101.png

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Well went to the range today and got my driver dialed in figured out I was teeing the ball way to high ended up adding about 12 yards and that translates on the course as I shot a 3 over which isn’t great but for me on my local 9 holes it’s a solid score just hope I can find some consistency 

Ogio bag

Driver: Cobra LTDX

3 wood: PING 425 max

Irons 5-U : PING G710s

52 bent to 51 vokey 

54: vokey 

58 degree: Callaway jaws 

putter: Wilson harmonized v2 / testing   Odessy AI- ONE Double Wide    

24 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

Had a break through round on Thursday afternoon. Starting with a par on #1 and then three not so great holes, pars were had on 5-8. It’s the first time that I have been able to put four pars together and I was in a touch of shock. Bogeyed the par 5 9th and that’s where I realized that I was sitting at a +5 41. Previous best on 9 holes was 44.

Only planned on playing 9 but I decided to try to keep my good luck going so onto the tenth tee I went. #10 saw me reach a new PR for driver with a 299yd tee shot. It had a little bit of help with a downhill after landing and dry fairways but I was still stoked. Finished that off with a par. Tried to keep things under control through #13 but I ended up with a couple of doubles in there. Kept those thoughts out of my head and headed to #14. Flat par four dogleg left that I decided to attack the corner since the driver was working well. Tee shot was straight and long, cleared the trees on the inside and landed in the fairway with another new PR of 316yds. 😮. Poor approach shot (I think I may have been in shock again), then a chip and two putts for a bogey. #15 was a straightforward par but that was seven  pars so far which is also a PR for me. Sitting at 11 over heading to 16 and I was telling myself that I really shouldn’t mess this up but, try to get that focus in check and just worry about the hole in front of me.

Downhill par 3 playing 173 yds with a slight breeze from left to right and pin front, right. Good ball strike and the ball was on the green with eight feet to the hole. I’m not in position for a lot of birdies but I was hopeful here and it worked out. That put me at +10 with two to go and I started to relax a little as things set in.

IMG_1584.jpeg.f468e1e023ec924f6707f1ee543c5582.jpeg

Might have relaxed a bit too much and had bogeys on 17 and 18 which left me at a +12 84 which is my first time breaking 90. No way would I have ever thought that I could shave  six shots in one round. I would have been just as happy with an 89.

I was definitely floating by this point. So many things went right for me during that round but the biggest part was the mental game. I was able to stay focused on what I was doing and not dwell on a bad shot or a bad hole. I kept telling myself that it’s just golf but, I felt that I had definitely accomplished something. The three doubles were still avoidable but the seven pars and a birdie outweighed them by a long shot.

So new long drive, four consecutive pars and a total of seven pars, broke 90 for the first time, and new low score. Definitely glad that I played 18 holes. 

you didnt just break 90, you crushed 90.... congratulations...

committed to performance excellence

Interesting day for me out there today, very "un Jim like" 5 birdies, 7 bogeys, 6 pars.... I did have to do a turkey dance after birdieing 9-10-11... shot 74 I guess the takeaway is that I didnt have my A game and still shot alright, playing again monday...

committed to performance excellence

27 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

So new long drive, four consecutive pars and a total of seven pars, broke 90 for the first time, and new low score. Definitely glad that I played 18 holes. 

... Now that you know 90 is just a number I imagine you will see plenty more rounds in the 80's! Great round!!! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, Jim Shaw said:

Interesting day for me out there today, very "un Jim like" 5 birdies, 7 bogeys, 6 pars.... I did have to do a turkey dance after birdieing 9-10-11... shot 74 I guess the takeaway is that I didnt have my A game and still shot alright, playing again monday...

... Haha 3 birdies in a row* without your A game is Tiger territory. Good luck Monday. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

26 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

you didnt just break 90, you crushed 90.... congratulations...

21 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Now that you know 90 is just a number I imagine you will see plenty more rounds in the 80's! Great round!!! 

Thank you. I’m looking at it as what I am capable of when all goes well. Hoping to see my normal 90-92 scores become the 88-90 scores soon. 

Edited by ParFore74x

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

41/39 at Cimmaron... oh so close to checking off the sub80 box at this course.  My last putt just looked in but wouldn't fall over the edge 😭. I checked this box at Desert Springs last fall (78) soon after we arrived, and nearly did so (81) at Granite Falls North last December.  Oh well, still a couple of milk bottles to knock down... I'll get em' 😊.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Bacon Boyz Friday in a course that’s been closed for 3+ months for maintenance. We were the 1st group out opening morning.  Tee boxes actually had grass so that was great for a change,  greens were still rough, a couple of them should be rested a bit longer.  
I had a good morning except for putting but I wasn’t going to beat myself up with conditions of greens.  Irons were great and Driver was rest good.  On one Par 4 tees were set at 385yds with a water carry, really, with guys in mid to late 70’s!  We moved up to the 345 Tee.  
Driver setups right now;   
PXG 0211 10.5*, Project X Cypher 40 5.0  
PXG 0311XF 12*, Evenflow Riptide CB 5.0 A 40g   
Even though there are big differences in driver settings/setup the ball flight similar and distance within a few yards.  I kinda like the feel of the 0211 a lit it better. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I remember knocking on the door of shooting in the 60's and just couldn't get over the hump. As much as I take things one shot at a time that bench mark was hard to ignore and always made me nervous when I got close. I was sitting on a 69 after a good drive on the 17th and pumped with adrenaline, flew a PW a good 15yds farther than normal that nestled down in the deep rough over the green and couldn't help but think "here I go again". Tried to nestle it close to save par with an open face and a difficult flop I only needed to carry about 6 feet but had to get it out of the deep rough. To my surprise and delight, it went in. Par'ed 18 and carded a 68. It was like the dam broke and I was no longer nervous, relishing getting close with a few holes to play instead of being nervous. 

... To be mentally comfortable outside your comfort zone, you have to deal with that Catch 22 and get there first. And as Jim said, "you crushed it" so that mental barrier no longer exits. 

Great description of your play there! I was totally visualizing the whole thing as I read it.

You’re spot on too. The nerves cool off and the mind relaxes which makes it all seem to be in reach. 

1 hour ago, ParFore74x said:

Had a break through round on Thursday afternoon. Starting with a par on #1 and then three not so great holes, pars were had on 5-8. It’s the first time that I have been able to put four pars together and I was in a touch of shock. Bogeyed the par 5 9th and that’s where I realized that I was sitting at a +5 41. Previous best on 9 holes was 44.

Only planned on playing 9 but I decided to try to keep my good luck going so onto the tenth tee I went. #10 saw me reach a new PR for driver with a 299yd tee shot. It had a little bit of help with a downhill after landing and dry fairways but I was still stoked. Finished that off with a par. Tried to keep things under control through #13 but I ended up with a couple of doubles in there. Kept those thoughts out of my head and headed to #14. Flat par four dogleg left that I decided to attack the corner since the driver was working well. Tee shot was straight and long, cleared the trees on the inside and landed in the fairway with another new PR of 316yds. 😮. Poor approach shot (I think I may have been in shock again), then a chip and two putts for a bogey. #15 was a straightforward par but that was seven  pars so far which is also a PR for me. Sitting at 11 over heading to 16 and I was telling myself that I really shouldn’t mess this up but, try to get that focus in check and just worry about the hole in front of me.

Downhill par 3 playing 173 yds with a slight breeze from left to right and pin front, right. Good ball strike and the ball was on the green with eight feet to the hole. I’m not in position for a lot of birdies but I was hopeful here and it worked out. That put me at +10 with two to go and I started to relax a little as things set in.

Might have relaxed a bit too much and had bogeys on 17 and 18 which left me at a +12 84 which is my first time breaking 90. No way would I have ever thought that I could shave  six shots in one round. I would have been just as happy with an 89.

I was definitely floating by this point. So many things went right for me during that round but the biggest part was the mental game. I was able to stay focused on what I was doing and not dwell on a bad shot or a bad hole. I kept telling myself that it’s just golf but, I felt that I had definitely accomplished something. The three doubles were still avoidable but the seven pars and a birdie outweighed them by a long shot.

Congrats! I hope to join you in the broke 90 club soon. Make sure you get your Broke 90 banner.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

1 minute ago, Prodigal Duffer said:

Congrats! I hope to join you in the broke 90 club soon. Make sure you get your Broke 90 banner.

Good call, thanks for the reminder!

2 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Played the back nine at Flagstone today and shot 53 with 18 putts. More details to come in the Cobra 50th Challenge thread. 

I don’t know how I missed that Cobra Challenge thread… what a wonderful opportunity that is thanks to Cobra and MGS!

The irons you chose are stunning in black… hit them well Jason! 👍

Just now, Grand Stranded said:

I don’t know how I missed that Cobra Challenge thread… what a wonderful opportunity that is thanks to Cobra and MGS!

The irons you chose are stunning in black… hit them well Jason! 👍

Thank you! I was very fortunate to be chosen and during the community call Jamie asked if anyone was going with the black and I was like:

kermit-rage.gif.704a093cc5e65ccb3931d5436afa4aa7.gif They are quite beautiful and have been really forgiving from my early observations. 

1 hour ago, ParFore74x said:

That's one heckuva round and what a way to decimate 90! You didn't just break it, you beat it into submission. Congratulations on setting records in both pars and longest drive, twice! 

Nice job!! Any bad round becomes a good round with an ace!