Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Played today in another breezy, but low 80's sunny, day on the Valley at Sawgrass. Shot a 91, but a nasty one triple, four double bogey 6 hole stretch right in the middle derailed an otherwise decent round. A brief two hole appearance of my old bugaboo, hard left off the tee, caused the triple and one double, two consecutive holes where I inexplicably chunked mid-irons out of the fairway caused two doubles and the last was just a bad break where my layup ran off the fairway and buried deep in the rough in a swale just off the fairway. Righted myself and had two pars over the last four holes. Almost birdied the last hole, but pulled the come backer just ever so slightly for a three-putt bogey (it was a very tough pin position). One over par on the par 3's today. That makes 9 out of my last 10 rounds have been between 86 and 91. Never have been that consistent in my scoring before, now just have to move the scores lower a notch.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Got a little practice in before my HS Team's season really starts up. Shot 38 (+2) for the front nine and parred 10, 11, and 12 then had to stop because of darkness. I hit 6/7 fairways because my tee shot on nine hit the fairway and got a nasty kick into a fairway bunker. I hit 8/9 greens and missed the one green by about 10 feet. 20 putts with two 3 putts, couldn't make a birdie at all. The two bogeys I made were the result of the three putts. Overall, I'm happy with that score and hope I can continue that for the season.

Played in a high school invitational today, shot 88. It's bittersweet. The good thing is it was mainly one bad hole that added 4 strokes and everything else was going good, the course was super tough with fast and firm greens and pin locations were very tricky because of being placed on ridges. I hit every fairway except one and it was like a couple feet off but I birdied it. Plus, everyone else was right around with me so it wasn't too bad.

Ok, so any suggestions on how to play this shot??? :blink:

I seem to remember a Lee Trevino instructional clip many, many years ago that said take your putter (but it was a blade putter, to be sure) and hit as hard as you can just below and behind the ball and hopefully it will pop in the air.

Twice, most likely! :P

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

SHUT the Face CLOSED, Man swing, and leave the clubhead in the sand after impact.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Easiest bunker shot there is. Close the clubface drive the club toe first into the sand behind the ball and no follow though. Your club should stay in the sand and the ball and about 5 pounds of sand should pop out. I had this shot the other day and it went in the hole. My playing partners thought I was Tiger but the goal is to get it out and be able to walk away.

All other bunker shots are played square faced or open with follow though, a buried ball once again is played, closed face, toe first into the sand with no follow thru.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Hula posted while I was typing that but as you can see we are in agreement. The same shot on the down slope is played the same but much, much more difficult.

SHUT the Face CLOSED, Man swing, and leave the clubhead in the sand after impact.

Haha, MAN SWING!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I hope not to need this advice again anytime in the near future.

Just to let you all know, I attempted a swing at it and it popped straight up and rolled back down in the trap. From there, I got it up and in for the dreaded double bogey.

Not sure if you can tell from the picture but we'd just had heavy rains the day before and the course was a bit soggy still.

Today, I will do what others will not so that...

Tomorrow, I will do what others can not

• 2 weeks later...

Three weeks ago, I posted about a 49-38 round I had. Friday, I had a 51-41. What's going on here? If anything, I usually start out better than I finish, 'cause bad back often tightens up. But unlike the prior Jekyll & Hyde round, I really didn't play all that bad. But I had the worst not hitting all that bad start I can remember--13 over par the first 5 holes, 2 over par the last 5. First hole (10th tee start), hit a solid drive but just pushed it a bit--hit in the fringe, bounced forward but onto the steep downslope to the water that lines the entire right side and just dribbles into the water (even with that, was the longest drive of the group). So had to drop on the sideslope in the bermuda rough (the slope is about 4 club lengths, so you automatically have a steep sidehill shot if you dunk it). Aimed left to account for the fade tendency from the side slope, but hit it too well I guess and it only faded a bit so ended up in the green side bunker, plugged. Didn't execute well, left it in the bunker. Blasted out and two putted for 7. Next hole, 195 par three, water all the way right and in front of half the green. Aimed left side of the green, hit it well but pulled it about 7-8 yards, pin high rough. But short-sided and pin is right behind a Pete Dye mound on the left side of the green. Delicate little flop shot that I didn't execute, got to try it again. Hit the next one good to 10 feet, lipped out the putt for a double 5. Next hole, the drive was my only truly bad full shot of the day, pull hook into the water left. Same deal as the first hole, drop onto the steep side slope. Aimed right, hit it real solid and it starts just right of the green, but this shot followed the side slope rules and did a huge sweeping draw that by the time it hit ground was heading straight left, down the downslope and just trickled into the water. Sideslope pitch shot to about 20 feet, 2 putt for another triple 7. Next hole, dogleg left with water left. Ripped the drive, long down the left side of the fairway, but oops, bounces forward into the omnipresent sideslope that is adjacent to the waterhazards on this course and just trickles into the water. Notice something yet? Four water balls, but only one lost ball. Drop on the side slope (again the longest drive of the group). Aim right, hit it solid, but again the side slope draw--where? Another water ball. Frustrated, just dropped another ball, replayed the shot. Got this one on the green, two putt for another triple 7. Next hole, par three, pushed the iron pin high, short sided, another delicate pitch which again I was too delicate, chip, lipped out 10 footer for another double 5. Five holes, three triples, two doubles, 13 over. Next hole, ripped the drive, wedge to 15 feet, misread the putt, but two putt for par (did win the hole to tie the 6 hole nassau for my poor partner). After one more mishap with the drive on the next hole, where it again trickled just into the water left (did recover to bogey the hole), I decided to retire the ball that had found the water the last 5 times, but never by much. Last 11 holes, 6 over par (pretty good for me). Didn't change a thing, except the ball. At least it was bad/good, not good/bad, which makes you feel a little better about the round and golf in general!!

Guess not many people besides me are playing yet! Played yesterday and things were a little more normal. Had a 40-45 round on the Valley. In contrast to last Friday's 13 over par over the first five holes, I was two over par after 5 (nines were reversed, but still a huge difference). Feels a lot better to be working on a good round than to be trying to avert a supreme embarrassment. Starting out good has its own challenges to me, however. Walking off 8 with another par, my mind betrayed me. I started counting score (shame, shame on me!) and thinking a par on the 9th will give me a 39! For me, shooting in the thirties is rare and the thought of it unfortunately gets me out of my comfort zone. Sure enough, 9th tee, heel a drive into the rough barely at the start of the fairway. I did manage to salvage a bogey, but only with an awesome shot with my new Rbz Stage 2 hybrid.

Then, of course, I start adding up 40/40 or so, thinking this could be really good, so don't blow it! Of course, I blow it, On 10, guided the driver into a short pop-up, tried to salvage it with another awesome hybrid, but cooked it out of bounds. Fortunate to drop another and follow with a good hybrid, chip and one putt for a double bogey. Ok, great round is gone, I could now relax. But couldn't quite get things back and limped home with all bogeys and one par the rest of the way. Still, 85 is second best round of the year.

I charted the round last night (haven't done that in years). 34 putts, six fairways hit, six greens in regulation. The aforementioned OB, but no other penalty strokes (unlike the 6 or so in the prior round). I looked at the 13 over par and tried to determine where those 13 strokes came from (no birdies to adjust for). I used the criteria of looking at the stroke on the hole that was most responsible for the bogey. For example, if I drove into trouble, hit a so-so recovery shot, chipped poorly on the green, but still two putted for bogey, the drive would be the stroke that was most responsible for the bogey.

Using that criteria, I lost 6 shots with the tee shots (driver and one five wood on a lay-up hole), 2 shots with poor mid-irons on par threes, the aforementioned OB with the hybrid, one shot with a missed pitch (hit the 65 yd shot well, but misjudged the distance as it went only 50 yes) (also chunked a 70 yard pitch after my awesome 260 tee shot with my Rbz 3+ Tour Spoon on the other layup hole, but I managed to chip and putt for a par, so no lost stroke to account for), two chunked chips and one lost stroke due to putting (I felt I putted poorly, especially on the back nine, but only had one 3 putt). 13 lost shots, pretty well spread around, so I get to work on everything!!!

Guess not many people besides me are playing yet!

jaxbeachpackerfan,

I have actually been playing quite a bit but typical of most of us high handicappers, I don't have any rounds that I would really like to share with anyone....a few good shots here and there but when you single digit guys start talking about the possibilities of shooting 9 holes in the 30's range it makes me just not want to tell you all about my 9 hole score in the high 40's or low 50's.

On the plus side, the weather is starting to look really nice and it's always fun to be on the course!

jaxbeachpackerfan,

I have actually been playing quite a bit but typical of most of us high handicappers, I don't have any rounds that I would really like to share with anyone....a few good shots here and there but when you single digit guys start talking about the possibilities of shooting 9 holes in the 30's range it makes me just not want to tell you all about my 9 hole score in the high 40's or low 50's.

On the plus side, the weather is starting to look really nice and it's always fun to be on the course!

I hear you, but I'm not a single digit guy, but rather a 16 handicap recently down from a 17. I've posted mostly about my high/low rounds, in part as a forced self-analysis as to why and how I can be so inconsistent in my scoring, both in round and between rounds.

how I can be so inconsistent in my scoring, both in round and between rounds.

If you can figure that out I would certainly love to hear what you come up with!

You ever make it down I-10 to the Tallahassee area let me know maybe I can show you how to make bogies and you can show me how to make par or better.

I got out yesterday, first round with the new Fuji MCI shafts! Was really, REALLY happy with them. I'd been playing Rifle 6.0's in new (to me) Mizzy MP-58 heads. It was a massive struggle but I was never sure if it was the heads, the shafts, recovering from being sick last winter, or just winter golf.

Shot a 77 yesterday with nothing worse than bogey. My ball flight is back, I hadn't seen my little baby draw in MONTHS! Fired several mid iron straight at the pin, still have a bit of distancing to figure out but that will come. The Mizzys seem a bit shorter than my Clevelands, moreso even than the 1* of loft difference should account for. I think I'm still a bit rusty. As the round went on I started to feel myself loosen up a bit and some feeling was coming back into the swing. DON'T THINK, JUST SWING! The short game was really good though. Had several challenging chips and pitches that I pulled of very well. Didn't make many putts but only 3 jacked once.

Really looking forward to the season. 77 for my first postable round is a good sign!

I got out yesterday, first round with the new Fuji MCI shafts! Was really, REALLY happy with them. I'd been playing Rifle 6.0's in new (to me) Mizzy MP-58 heads. It was a massive struggle but I was never sure if it was the heads, the shafts, recovering from being sick last winter, or just winter golf.

Shot a 77 yesterday with nothing worse than bogey. My ball flight is back, I hadn't seen my little baby draw in MONTHS! Fired several mid iron straight at the pin, still have a bit of distancing to figure out but that will come. The Mizzys seem a bit shorter than my Clevelands, moreso even than the 1* of loft difference should account for. I think I'm still a bit rusty. As the round went on I started to feel myself loosen up a bit and some feeling was coming back into the swing. DON'T THINK, JUST SWING! The short game was really good though. Had several challenging chips and pitches that I pulled of very well. Didn't make many putts but only 3 jacked once.

Really looking forward to the season. 77 for my first postable round is a good sign!

I lost a few yards in the 68's when I switched as well. They don't claim to be long, but what I found was more consistent feel especially in the 6i to PW.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've been doing mediocre lately, my scores aren't terrible but not good. I had a couple good rounds of +4 and +3 (9 holes) which helped a little. My putting has cost me so many strokes lately especially lag putts. I'll leave them 5-6 feet short and then miss those. Other than that, everything else is pretty solid.

Well, I played again Friday, started out great, was one over through the front 9 and just playing a very steady game, little trouble, an eagle putt that didn't fall, and a couple nice saves from the trouble I did find. Was feeling pretty damn good about things going into 10.

Proceeded to pull my tee ball way left right on the tree line, went double, double, triple . . .and shot a 51 on the back!!! WTF?! All I can come up with is I used a red tee on the 10th tee box. I have no idea how it even got into my pocket! I noticed it as I teed the ball up and almost switched it out but thought "oh don't be stupid, just hit it!". I hope the golf gods forgive me!

Played 18 today at home course (TPC Sawgrass-Valley Course). Did not play that well really, but my decent score (80) was a result of 26 putts. I usually have 31 or more putts per round so this was highly unusual. Go figure, nothing special, just one of those days. I guess I should keep my eyes closed on the greens more often. Can't wait to go out on Friday to see what's working and what's not.

Jax. I play almost everyday. I just quit posting it because the thread was becoming how RR played today.

Today, hit hit a tree root on my approach to hole number 1. I would have quit but the other team would not change the bet without an ambulance ride so I stuck it out. Could hit full shots but chips pitches and putts felt like my thumb was falling off. Changed to a long putter and salvaged a 40 on the back and only lost $8. Thumb is better but sticking with the long putter for now.

I just have control issues on the delicate shots.

I can attest, Eagle was making everything yesterday! I didn't do nearly as well, shooting 89 (Eagle, you had me for one too many on the front nine) and yesterday's story was inconsistency between holes rather than the dramatically different nines. Two birdies, 4 pars, 5 doubles and a triple. Five water balls and one in the hazard. Was trying to incorporate the takeaway from last week's lesson, not shifting my hips back and instead trying to post on the right leg. Worked great on eight iron on down, stuck a couple to within 3 feet for the birdies. But after three or four good drives, that swing thought totally screwed up the driver such that after #8, I only had one good drive and all the water balls (was pushing the ball--I think I was hanging back on the right leg I was trying to post on, and then of course, trying to correct that, a couple of snap hooks as I overcorrected coming through). Another lesson tomorrow and maybe a range session this afternoon. 33 putts for me.

Did you have the same warm weather that we had yesterday? It was in the 80's here - Tuesday is often my golf day but I had meetings all day - literally from 7:30 in the morning until 10:30 last night. The good news is that I think we've found our associate pastor.

Sound's like you need help with the tee ball - Dye courses are never particularly tight - they may look tight in places but if you are hitting the right club off the tee there is always ample room - only hitting 6 fairways is getting you off to a rough start because once you're out of position on one of his tracks its a long hard hoe to get it back into position. :)

He's so different from another favorite of mine - Joe Lee - with Dye the closer to a hazzard you are willing to go the more likely you are to have a favorable next shot - with Lee the hazzard means - stay away from here - don't try it - don't think about it - just go somehwhere else and we'll all be happy.

Oh I'm playing tomorrow - first opportunity since the train wreck a couple of weeks back - we'll see. :huh:

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Did you have the same warm weather that we had yesterday? It was in the 80's here - Tuesday is often my golf day but I had meetings all day - literally from 7:30 in the morning until 10:30 last night. The good news is that I think we've found our associate pastor.

Sound's like you need help with the tee ball - Dye courses are never particularly tight - they may look tight in places but if you are hitting the right club off the tee there is always ample room - only hitting 6 fairways is getting you off to a rough start because once you're out of position on one of his tracks its a long hard hoe to get it back into position. :)

He's so different from another favorite of mine - Joe Lee - with Dye the closer to a hazzard you are willing to go the more likely you are to have a favorable next shot - with Lee the hazzard means - stay away from here - don't try it - don't think about it - just go somehwhere else and we'll all be happy.

Oh I'm playing tomorrow - first opportunity since the train wreck a couple of weeks back - we'll see. :huh:

Congrats on your new associate!

Tee Ball was definitely the problem yesterday. Go in streaks with it, has been an issue the last couple of weeks. And what you say is true, if you're off the fairway, with the mounding, rough and water so close to the fairways, its almost an automatic stroke penalty to be in the rough. Valley Course is narrow, however, narrower than the Stadium on average. I could go with the 3 wood, do hit it much more consistently than the driver and with good distance. But like someone just said on the thread that went to war, I want to challenge myself to try and get good and more consistent with the driver. In a competitive round, maybe I'd back off.

It was beautiful yesterday after a damp and cool start. Was near 80 when we finished.

I can attest, Eagle was making everything yesterday! I didn't do nearly as well, shooting 89 (Eagle, you had me for one too many on the front nine) and yesterday's story was inconsistency between holes rather than the dramatically different nines. Two birdies, 4 pars, 5 doubles and a triple. Five water balls and one in the hazard. Was trying to incorporate the takeaway from last week's lesson, not shifting my hips back and instead trying to post on the right leg. Worked great on eight iron on down, stuck a couple to within 3 feet for the birdies. But after three or four good drives, that swing thought totally screwed up the driver such that after #8, I only had one good drive and all the water balls (was pushing the ball--I think I was hanging back on the right leg I was trying to post on, and then of course, trying to correct that, a couple of snap hooks as I overcorrected coming through). Another lesson tomorrow and maybe a range session this afternoon. 33 putts for me.

JaxBeach, Thx for update on score. Hope it didn't make a difference on the match. I'd rather pay you a couple of bucks than have to go thru the calculation again. Remember to tell me about the lessons you are taking. Also, you forgot to mention that you are nailing that RBZ, outdriving the rest of the group by 10-15 yds.

JaxBeach, Thx for update on score. Hope it didn't make a difference on the match. I'd rather pay you a couple of bucks than have to go thru the calculation again. Remember to tell me about the lessons you are taking. Also, you forgot to mention that you are nailing that RBZ, outdriving the rest of the group by 10-15 yds.

I think it was one of your birdie holes. I didn't mention the "nailing" 'cause that was only 3 of the 11 drives. 6 of the drives belonged in the dumpster as you should recall.