Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
RookieBlue7

How'd you play?

Played a great practice round today and I wasn't even reading my putts. I hit 10/14 fairways, using my new G10, and 14/18 greens. All the greens I missed were long on downwind holes. I wasn't taking time on my putts, because they had the hole locations marked for qualifying tomorrow, so I was taking handfuls of balls with me and putting to those marks. I stinks played my ball down, just rushed everything, so I could get in some important practice. I ended up shooting even par. Now I'm really jacked up for tomorrow. I go off 10, which is the toughest hole (444yds lined with trees and has a small green) at 11:27; I get to play with a guy that I used to play in league with, so that is cool.

Good luck today JBones

I was supposed to be playing in my league's midseason tournament but the guy that I got to fill in for me is in the hospital - this is the 5th time that I've missed this tournament because of some sort of parish event - wedding - funeral - now this - in the past 6 years - I think I'll just give up on entering it.

The good news is that while I'm working to be ready for tonight and tomorrow I'm inside watching the Open rather than outside in what will be a well over 100 degree heat index by noon - I don't really know that I'm ready to be out in that yet so this could be a blessing in disguise.

Played bad. Greens treacherously slow. Drank 3 beers and 7 waters and 1.5 hours post round and still haven't gone to restroom. Hot and humid. Went through 4 gloves and 2 towels.

I played really well today, had three bad shots that cost me dearly, but still managed to break 80, however, the story of the day is this. We met this morning around 7 am were trying to get through the turn before a tournament that we were not playing in teed off. So since we were in a hurry, my cart had a wire break on the first hole. I was picked up by one of the high handicappers, this guy has not broken 100 in the last two months. But we were going to ride together to the turn and then I would get another cart. So I ended up coaching him between every shot. We parred the first hole. Then second. etc. On the 5th hole we are both still even par.

I had a horrible lie in the really fluffy grass, well, it was not that horrible it was sitting on top of the really fluffy grass but was concerned that it would be difficult to control. Since we were caddying for each other, and actually partners on that hole, we talked about it, and since it was a par 5 I said I was going to lay up and hit an easy 6 irons. I swung easy and this thing took off like it was shot from a cannon and was a true flyer and sailed OB. I double boggied the easiest hole on the course. The next hole I lost my drive in the middle of the fairway. We all saw it bounce near the 100 marker and could not find it. I a lost ball on the back nine in similar fashion. In the fairway and never find it. But Still managed a 79. My irons were right on the money.

But this guy, would not let me get another cart at the turn, because he shot a 40. And then he shot a 42 on the back 9. He was as happy as anyone could be. Needless to say, his 82 with our handicap system won the day.

I got to take off and play with the Tuesday Men's group at Babe Zahairias this week....actually I played 36 and shot back to back 81's....was striking the ball very well....most everything went straight....Babe is a short course, but you have to manage your shot placement in order to score....They had 27 golfers this week, so my round of 81 was 3rd best gross....lost out to a 69 & 78. They have renovation going on the fairways for #1 & 10 as they install new Champions Bermuda grass, so they turned both into par 3's.....this makes for an interesting arrangement so we just take par 70 & make it par 68. Both modified holes are playing at 162 & 175 yard par threes.

Started today with three birdies, and thought I was king of the world. I ended up shooting even par on the front 9 with no pars. Five birdies and three bogies and a double bogey. Shot 38 on the back, all pars and two bogies. The funny thing about this round was every birdie, I hit a tee shot or a second shot that intentionally left me more than 120 out from the green and hit a gap or a pitching wedge depending on the wind. Most of the bogies were really good par putts that just did not drop. The double was just plain ugly, ugly tee, ugly approach, ugly chip, ugly three putt.

74 on a Sunday playing in a 6 man group with all the distractions, I still feel like the king of the world.

Played 9 more holes afterwards and shot 38 so feel pretty good about that.

We recently got a new "Director of Golf" and things have been different and much nicer. The greens are really smooth and fast. The rough is longer, and overall things are great. Pin placements are much more difficult, and when the pin is on the front, it is almost impossible for me to stop the ball close to the hole unless you land short of the green. However, he keeps the ground in front of the greens soft so if you land short, it will not roll. I am a high spin player and this has never been an issue before. I asked him and he laughed and said that was the way he wanted it.

My solution was to stay back far enough to hit full irons into the green. I teed off with a 4 iron on 8 holes today, and often used a 7 iron as my second shot on the par 5's today. I failed to hit the short irons prefectly a few times, resulting in bogies, but overall, it was a great strategy. I chuckled to myself several times today when I had a short birdie putt and my competitors had hit it close to the green, hit a wedge and then had a 30 foot putt. They all remarked about how well I was hitting the ball and how I could get it to stop by the flag. I was thinking, yeah, you can generate a lot of spin with a gap wedge or 9 iron and a full swing.

My favorite strategy RR - I'm guessing that our grasses are similar to yours and it's just tough to get it close to front pins - of course it's almost always wet here regardless of what the super does so you are rarely able to bounce it on. I very quickly figured out that the best strategy is to leave something full - somewhere between 100 and 120 is ideal to attack front pins - I don't prefer the 70 of my lob wedge because I don't like to hit it full and it also brings in the possibility of hitting it too far and having the part shot to face.

It does often lead to the ridiculous strategy of me hitting 3 hybrid or 3 wood off the tee and a longer opponent hitting driver - 6 years of winning more skins and having a lower handicap index and many of them still haven't figured out that I do this when the pin is up front - I keep very quiet about it. B)

Great job

Well, qualifying was a disaster. I did something I have NEVER done in any round of golf....I walked off the course with 5 holes remaining. I wasn't hitting the ball bad, but my putting was absolutely horrendous. On the first hole I had 1.5' for my par; I never mark these, I just knock them in, but in this case I would have been standing in my competitors line. So, I had time to stand there and think about missing a 1.5' putt and what the hell do I do, just straight pull it while it is breaking left. That just started off a horrible chain reaction, by the time my first 9 was done, I had missed 5 par putts inside of 3'. Ok, I just have to make up a couple shots on the front, no problem, I'm hitting the ball well. Then I proceed to miss 2' par putts on the first 2 holes, followed by a missed birdie putt from 2.5'. I missed the next green and chipped to 4'; I told my caddy that if I didn't make the par putt that I was going to pack it in. I hit my chip past the hole and watched it break 6" right, from the hole to where it finished, so I played it 4" outside the right edge and hit it firm.....it didn't break 1". I didn't storm off like a little punk, like the people that have bailed on me in tournaments, I respectfully removed my hat, shook my competitors hands, and wished them well. There were quite a few things that lead to this decision (a perfect storm like situation). My girls had been with my wifes sister for a few days and we were going to meet them at a Louisville Bats game; I had hoped for an early tee time, so we could go together and of course I got a late tee time (only 3 groups behind me).....I missed them terribly. After missing that putt, I was 10 over and the number in my mind to qualify was 75, so I would have had to birdie the 5 remaining holes. I had looked at my watch and knew that if I left then, I would be able to make it to the game on time. So, due to all those factors, I made the choice. From the time I left, to this point now, I've been disappointed in myself, because I just don't do that, I have never quit on anything in my life. Anyway, there was a major factor that lead to my horrible putting stroke. I woke up Saturday morning feeling very anxious, so I took a Xanax. It had me relaxed to the point that my putting stroke was just a limp wristed flail at the ball. Mentally, I was baked; it was about the equivalent of playing drunk. I have played on Xanax before, but I hadn't had the same emotions, so I'm guessing that the chemicals my body was releasing just had a bad reaction....I was a zombie.

Here's the biggest kick in the nuts. I woke up Sunday morning, already feeling crappy about the whole situation, and see in the paper that a 79 got into a playoff. There was only one person that broke par and only two more that shot even. The conditions weren't that bad, it was extremely hot (102) and breezy (maybe 15-17mph); I guess you pair that with extremely tough pin positions and you get a lot of high scores. So, I would have only had to make one birdie coming in and one of those holes was a reachable par 5. Oh well, I got to see my beautiful babies Saturday evening, instead of Sunday morning. Life is just a bunch of lessons, I just hate learning them the hard way.

On a positive note, this G10 is the straightest driver I have ever had in my bag. I once said that if I could have 275 in the fairway, I would accept never hitting another 300yd drive in my life.......thats what this driver gives me. On the first hole, I hit it so straight, that I was in the paint around the 150 marker. I only missed two fairways and they were both slight pushes with the wind blowing right and both were on holes that right wouldn't hurt me.

Chalk it up to experience JBones - I had caught that you were in a qualifier but not what the qualifier was for. I'm going to assume the state amateur. My experience has been that breaking 80 gives you a shot at qualifying in these things. The qualifying course always plays tougher than the field expects, there are always lots of players that don't belong that slow play down and they make it tough on everyone.

I shot 77 today but again felt better - stronger than I have since I before I got sick. It's wierd because I shot 76 last week but didn't feel nearly as strong - of course I holed more putts last week and that was the difference - I hit it better today. Didn't putt poorly but just didn't make a single putt outside of 6 feet.

10 fairways (11 is my normal)

9 greens (spot on)

32 putts (2 over my normal which was why I was 2 over my par of 75)

4/8 up and downs -

1 hole I drove it in a mess and had an approach of 125 for my 3rd shot - hit a nice 9 iron to 15 feet and burned the edge for par.

I hit 4 drives on the back side and 3 of them looked like I was the one hitting them!!!!! Nice medium high baby draws right where I wanted them.

Can't wait for worldwoods on friday.

Played Worldwoods today with fellow Golf Spy DogPro - shot 37-34 71 - I'm still weak from the pneumonia - hit a couple of really curious shots that lead to a couple of bogeys but obviously I hit some really good approach shots and had a nice chip in to be one under. I made 5 birdies, hit 13 greens in regulation - it's not an easy course by any stretch but I made it seemt hat way so I'm very happy.

One of the guys that we were paired with was a bomber - he had an eagle and just missed a second one - He shot 73. His partner told us he hits it 300 but everyone we measured was 285 - of course that same partner thought I was hitting it 250 and everyone we measured was 235 (exactly how far I thought they were.) It's so wet here that this is basically carry with 10 yards of roll. It's brutal on the ego but that self same eagle feels pretty good because of the score and the fact that I still beat a guy who was hitting it 40 and 50 yards past me.

Finally had a huge break through in my 9 hole round today... I came out after work like any other day and knew going in "well not sure how this will turn out but I'm gonna try something"... The thing that I wanted to try was keep the shorter backswing rotation I had and just get a touch extra lift with the arms... WOW it paid off big time, tempo was perfect, shots were in control and the shots i missed turned out very well. Not to mention I got it done a lot with the flat stick... So here it is ladies and gentlemen my low nine hole of my career thus far.

A bogey free 9 hole round of 3 under par 33!!! I hit 8 of 9 GIR, 6 of 7 FIR, 14 total putts. The sick part is my 3 birdies were 2 par 4s and a par 3 I made par on both par 5s. The one hole where I missed the fairway and green was the first hole i played, missed the fairway by 3 yards bad lie, left it short on purpose, only real good bail out spot.

Not too shabby for coming out cold and experimenting with something, I think my experiment panned out pretty dang well.

I played 27 holes at my home course. Shot 36-42-34. Struck the ball wonderfully all day but if there was a bad bounce or bad break to be had, I caught it on the middle 9 holes. I had one putt that I read to break right, and missed so obviously it will break left coming back. So I putted it and it broke right. And missed, so since I now basically have the same putt that I already did, and it broke left it must break left again, no it broke right. It was a par 3 175 that I hit it 10 feet from the hole and make double bogey. Lots of bad bounces also; Also, I gave a guy 6 strokes and won by 5 which means I lost. He played great for him and I did not on the middle 9.

This morning there was 7 of us and we divided into two teams. I started off this morning hot. The first six holes I had six birdies. I was on fire. I am thinking I was going to shoot a personal record. Six under par and I was not even working at it. However, I did not finish quite as strong as I started. As a matter of fact instead of the 66 or better that I was salivating about I shot an 86.

I decelerated on the down swing, I jumped at the ball, I flailed away with a golf swing that while I may have not had good contact but I kept the gnats at bay. My playing partners, whom I play with every week since 2005, were astonished. One of them said he had never seen me play better, and had never seen me play worse at the same time. I did not have a par until the 18th hole. Our team ended up losing by one stroke. We got off to a six stroke lead and then lost oddly enough because the other team had a birdie on the last hole. Their "A" player played worse than I did, but they had a "C" player who shot 11 strokes better than normal.

I played nine more holes and shot 36. I have no explanation, other than I got out of my game plan after several bad holes.

I jokingly said that I did not understand what the problem was, I had read Adam Scott's new book on how to play with a lead, that should not be happening.

Did you really mean 6 birdies in the first 6 holes? 6 straight birdies? Or was it 6 birdies on the front nine?

That's a lot of birdies regarldless - the most I've ever had in a row is 3. I had 2 in a row on Friday, a par and then 2 more in a row. And I had a 10 footer for bridie on that par in the middle - the greens were horrible I had a chip in but no one in our group came close to making a putt outside of 5 feet - I mean these things were aweful. It's too bad this course normally has great greens but it got flooded from tropical storm Debbie. They had to aerate after that - first time I've seen a course aerated down here in the month of July.

Did you really mean 6 birdies in the first 6 holes? 6 straight birdies? Or was it 6 birdies on the front nine?

That's a lot of birdies regarldless - the most I've ever had in a row is 3. I had 2 in a row on Friday, a par and then 2 more in a row. And I had a 10 footer for bridie on that par in the middle - the greens were horrible I had a chip in but no one in our group came close to making a putt outside of 5 feet - I mean these things were aweful. It's too bad this course normally has great greens but it got flooded from tropical storm Debbie. They had to aerate after that - first time I've seen a course aerated down here in the month of July.

I made one birdie putt of 12' on the fourth hole. Six birdies in a row, all the others were 3 to 8 feet from the hole. I was hitting those irons like I had a scope mounted on them. I was sticking with the stay 100 yards from the green game plan.

1st hole, 309 Par 4, 4i poorly struck but fairway, 135 out, choked down 9 iron, 3 feet.

2nd hole, 482 Par 5, 4i/7i/pw, 122 out, 6 foot.

3rd hole, 343 Par 4, 5i/6i 158 out, 7 feet.

4th hole, 150 Par 3, 7i, 12 feet.

5th hole, 485 Par 5, 4i/6i/9i 8 feet.

6th hole, 373 Par 4, D/GW 6 feet.

The rest of the card is filled with shanks and chili dips, and decelerations and swatting at the ball. And yanking drives into the forest. and missing putts.

I swear that on one approach shot on the back 9 my feet were off the ground while my clubhead was striking the ground. I hit the ground TWICE once with the driver before I hit the ball. For some reason it did not go far.:unsure:

For the most part I was still hitting my irons ok, just not as crisp, and my short game and driver went south. Instead of hitting the green near the flag I was hitting the bunker near the flag. Then chipping horribly, and putting poorly. And the occasional sorry drive and double bogey city. Last hole I hit a great irons shot on a par 3, 15 feet from the hole and lipped the putt.

The funny thing was when I was playing great, the highercappers on my team were following suite. They each had a birdie. So on 6 holes we had 9 birdies between us. We were on fire. But we burned quick. One more par by any of us and we would have tied and depending on where it was we may have still won.

Warning! A bit long! Had a tough one yesterday. Quarterfinal match in our Match Play bracket against one of my favorite rivals. I had been beating him pretty soundly most of the year but I knew that when it was "for real" that he was going to be a tough opponent. He's pretty much a steady player, nothing flashy, not long at all but pretty consistent. If he's playing well he's going to get alot of pars and rarely anything over bogey.

I started a little shaky, and really seemed to get alot of bad breaks on the front 9. Terrible lies, strange bounces, all the typical stuff that goes wrong when it goes wrong you know? My opponent was playing great, virtually mistake free golf, parring his way around the course and making some huge par saves to 1/2 and win holes. So I am 4 down after 9. Then I'm still 4 down after 11. I haven't won a hole since I birdied 3. Its at the point now where I really cannot be patient, I HAVE to win a hole. I win 12 and 13, finally some cracks in my opponent are starting to show. I'm pretty freed up and playing well and just bought myself a couple more holes. On 16 I hammer a drive to 125 out with a good angle in, my opponent swats his and is at 200. He dumps it in a deep greenside bunker, I hit on to about 20' and am feeling pretty good. He gets out of the bunker and cans a 12 footer to save par, I par as well and am dormie going into 17. Center green and 2 putt the par 3 17 to win. On 18, one of the better finishing holes in town, a tight 420 yard dogleg left with water down the left and trees on the right. I favor the right and catch the path and end up 200 out but a really bad spot, have to get under some overhanging tree limbs and then over some tall trees at about 100 out to get to the green, opponent is 195 out but in the fairway with a clean line of sight, still a tough shot for him but he just has to push to win. I don't have a choice I have to go for it. I can't hit my hybrid because it is going to hit the overhanging trees, 4 iron is dicey to get over the far trees. I hit one of the best shots of my life there, hit that 4 as hard as I could hit it, right through a small gap in the overhang, way up over the far trees, about a 15 yard draw to 20'. I knew he felt that one. He'd just squandered 3 of a 4 shot lead and I'd just stuffed one on him, momentum was on my side. He let one get away right, chipped up and damn near drained a 30' putt. I made an easy par and we're off to 1.

One is a simple hole, very straight forward 370 yard par 4. It can be trouble only if you go right, where you are blocked by tall trees. Thing is, I never really play 1 under pressure! I had been hitting my driver very well through the back side. I knew my opponent was rattled, he'd gone from 4 up on 11 to sudden death and hadn't won a hole since 9. If I could hit a good one, I felt like he was going to feel like he had to press a bit. I lined it up hit it right. DEEP right. I was 40 yards out, right behind all the trees. Opponent was center fairway, then on the green about 25' with a downhill breaker. I knew he was unlikely to birdie, but I had no way to the green. I could either punch out to about 25' short of the green and have a little uphill chip, or punch back to a full shot. I don't know why I chose to put the match on my wedge. I know that under pressure the full shot is probably better and I'd been hitting greens for the last 9 holes. But, I did. I put it to 25' right were I wanted, then fatted a wedge to just off the fringe, I'm at 6' with a good lie and a makeable chip, opponent putts to 18" but still a downhill slight break, not a gimme. Its do or die and I miss the chip in the jar 4 inches short, and that was the day.

It was a tough loss but I didn't feel too terrible. I made alot of mental mistakes on the front but when the heat was on I feel I responded very well and made shot after shot under do or die pressure to give myself a chance to win. I'm going to be reliving 1 for a while now and am going to start playing it a little differently seeing if I can find a "safe" way to play it. Losing sucks!

Hey JBones don't beat yourself up to bad about walking off the course. Sometimes the game can just get to you. Sometimes it just is not your day and the game can make you miserable. It sounds like you were dicey about even being on the course that day in the first place. Your head wasn't in the game, you had life going on outside of golf and that is a tough way to try to play golf. Even if it wasn't in the front of your mind, subconsciously you probably knew that you were supposed to be with your family that day.

Hey JBones don't beat yourself up to bad about walking off the course. Sometimes the game can just get to you. Sometimes it just is not your day and the game can make you miserable. It sounds like you were dicey about even being on the course that day in the first place. Your head wasn't in the game, you had life going on outside of golf and that is a tough way to try to play golf. Even if it wasn't in the front of your mind, subconsciously you probably knew that you were supposed to be with your family that day.

I over it now, but I did beat myself up for a couple days, because like I said, thats just not me. I was mentally toast though, I knew it on the range before the tourney even started, but I still gave it a shot.

Well Sundays score was pitiful but some of that was my playing partners. The highlight though was on the second hole of the course we were playing hitting the 4 fairway off the tee and out driving everyone else and not putting it in the water or down the embankment.