Jump to content

How'd you play?


MmmmmmBuddy

Recommended Posts

This will be a tale of two events, the first being a stag day least Wednesday, which was a true scramble. We didn’t win by a long shot, but we got an eagle and a closest to pin for a few bucks and balls. The interesting part was me buying a brand new sleeve of ProV1x’s. I NEVER play new balls as I’ve got so many that I find, I just play nice ones.

but here’s the interesting part. I hit so many long drives it was eerie. I mean 20-30 yards longer than a normal good drive. I have been longer of late with my “John Daly” swing, but dayum, these new balls were just flying. It’s making me rethink the whole “new balls” theory.

ok, second half of recent events. I just had my gall bladder removed on last Monday and so I’m obviously grounded. They’re telling me no lifting over 15 lbs for 4 weeks… anyways, fat chance I can wait that long to swing, but I guess I’ll let the pain be my guide. Has anyone else had a similar operation? And how long did it take to recover? They did it robotically with just the one cut in the belly button, so it’s supposed to be less traumatic…

anyways, this week has been terrible weather and cold as a witches …uh, well, and next week is 50% rain all week, so I may have picked the best possible time slot for it all anyways…

cheers y’all, 

sluggo

  • Like 5

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)
 

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

ok, second half of recent events. I just had my gall bladder removed on last Monday and so I’m obviously grounded. They’re telling me no lifting over 15 lbs for 4 weeks… anyways, fat chance I can wait that long to swing, but I guess I’ll let the pain be my guide. Has anyone else had a similar operation? And how long did it take to recover? They did it robotically with just the one cut in the belly button, so it’s supposed to be less traumatic…

anyways, this week has been terrible weather and cold as a witches …uh, well, and next week is 50% rain all week, so I may have picked the best possible time slot for it all anyways…

cheers y’all, 

sluggo

If they went through your belly button then they probably used glue instead of stitches. The last thing you want to do is tear it open. The body is amazing at healing but it takes time. I had my spleen removed through the belly button and it did take four weeks before I could do a full swing without any pulling sensation. I was chipping and putting after about 2 weeks but I used one of those ball picker upper things on the end of the club because bending over to get the ball out of the cup was NOT GOOD! Before I could comfortably swing balls to the walls was probably in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 weeks. Be smart and take it one step at a time and gradually push yourself. Your body will tell you when enough is enough. Sometimes it's the sudden things that let you know " not yet". A sneeze, stepping in a depression you didn't see, a slight stumble from catching your foot on a mat or curb.

If it hurts stop. If you over do it, it will take that much longer to heal.  

  • Like 5

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If they went through your belly button then they probably used glue instead of stitches. The last thing you want to do is tear it open. The body is amazing at healing but it takes time. I had my spleen removed through the belly button and it did take four weeks before I could do a full swing without any pulling sensation. I was chipping and putting after about 2 weeks but I used one of those ball picker upper things on the end of the club because bending over to get the ball out of the cup was NOT GOOD! Before I could comfortably swing balls to the walls was probably in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 weeks. Be smart and take it one step at a time and gradually push yourself. Your body will tell you when enough is enough. Sometimes it's the sudden things that let you know " not yet". A sneeze, stepping in a depression you didn't see, a slight stumble from catching your foot on a mat or curb.

If it hurts stop. If you over do it, it will take that much longer to heal.  

Exactly the same, belly button with glue…

for some reason, I was thinking a week or two.. duhhhh

thanks Tommy, that was what I needed to know. Not what I wanted, but I needed a dose of reality.

  • Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)
 

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If it hurts stop. If you over do it, it will take that much longer to heal. 

 

... Sage advice. 👍  Those of us that played sports and in our younger years "fought through the pain" have learned the hard way that doesn't work past 50, and the older you get the more important it is. I probably could have avoided a frozen shoulder had I stopped when the pain started. Same with the tendonitis in my elbow right now. Fought through it for several rounds until the pain increased exponentially. After taking 10 days off I am in rehab now and fighting my way back but I probably could have avoided it altogether had I stopped and began rehab after the first 2 rounds when I knew it wasn't a one time event. 

  • Like 5

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-MT SR 
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/16.5/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
                  :taylormade-small: Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 5-Pw Forged Tec/4i FTx ... KBS TGi 85S
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, juspoole said:

Apparently it worked out for the best as the members I was playing with said they have recently lost 6 of the greens and it's not up to par with True Blue at the moment.

Also with my game off the tee, the tighter courses are usually tough for me.   

That's too bad about the greens, but I'm not super surprised, I was there in June and if you can believe it they were having a hard time with water.  It hadn't rained in months and they were legitimately having a small drought and the heat, even with the humidity, was baking everything. 

I think when you eventually play it (with your index) you won't have an issue. You're just going to have to be a lot more tactical off the tee.  Hazards that look like they 'might' be in play are very much closer than they appear  😆  I was lucky to walk away with an 89 (with three birdies)... 

  • Like 1

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red  

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour (shares duty with 3I depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 3I Driving Iron KBS Tour (shares duty with the 2 hybrid depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 4I, 5I - 639CB 6/PW -- True Temper Elevate Elevate Tour

:taylormade-small: RSI2 -- 4/PW- Nippon Modus 115 (Testing)

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour 

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour 

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV Divide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

That's too bad about the greens, but I'm not super surprised, I was there in June and if you can believe it they were having a hard time with water.  It hadn't rained in months and they were legitimately having a small drought and the heat, even with the humidity, was baking everything. 

I think when you eventually play it (with your index) you won't have an issue. You're just going to have to be a lot more tactical off the tee.  Hazards that look like they 'might' be in play are very much closer than they appear  😆  I was lucky to walk away with an 89 (with three birdies)... 

Caledonia is a very nice track and in great condition. Kind of pricey and the course is on the short side. Par 70 and 6526 from the tips. I think I paid $200 to play it last year.  My biggest issue was the dam ducks as tee markers (Pintail, Mallard, Wood Duck and Redhead). One duck looks like another to me. I must have hit from the wrong tees three times. 🤣 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

 My biggest issue was the dam ducks as tee markers (Pintail, Mallard, Wood Duck and Redhead). One duck looks like another to me. I must have hit from the wrong tees three times. 🤣 

No joke.  😀 There was much discussion and close examination of the ducks during our round.  Easy to figure out on holes where you could easily see all of them, not as much when the tee boxes were not as visible from each other.  

  • Like 3

:taylormade-small:  Driver: 2016 M2 -- Fujikara ventus red  

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood RBZ Stage 2 -  Diamana Blue Board 

:taylormade-small: 2 Hybrid RBZ Stage 2 -- True Temper Elevate Tour (shares duty with 3I depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 3I Driving Iron KBS Tour (shares duty with the 2 hybrid depending on the day)

:Sub70: 699pro - 4I, 5I - 639CB 6/PW -- True Temper Elevate Elevate Tour

:taylormade-small: RSI2 -- 4/PW- Nippon Modus 115 (Testing)

:cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX2 48° & 54°-- TT Elevate Tour 

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe 58° -- TT Elevate Tour 

:bettinardi-small: Innovai 6.0 CTR

:srixon-small: Ball: Zstar XV Divide

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... Sage advice. 👍  Those of us that played sports and in our younger years "fought through the pain" have learned the hard way that doesn't work past 50, and the older you get the more important it is. I probably could have avoided a frozen shoulder had I stopped when the pain started. Same with the tendonitis in my elbow right now. Fought through it for several rounds until the pain increased exponentially. After taking 10 days off I am in rehab now and fighting my way back but I probably could have avoided it altogether had I stopped and began rehab after the first 2 rounds when I knew it wasn't a one time event. 

Definitely great advice.  I still have problems backing off when a problem starts.  

  • Like 3

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, chisag said:

 

... Sage advice. 👍  Those of us that played sports and in our younger years "fought through the pain" have learned the hard way that doesn't work past 50, and the older you get the more important it is. I probably could have avoided a frozen shoulder had I stopped when the pain started. Same with the tendonitis in my elbow right now. Fought through it for several rounds until the pain increased exponentially. After taking 10 days off I am in rehab now and fighting my way back but I probably could have avoided it altogether had I stopped and began rehab after the first 2 rounds when I knew it wasn't a one time event. 

Yeah, you should have known better.  You are not a doctor, but you played one on TV!!  😂

  • Haha 9

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, you should have known better.  You are not a doctor, but you played on on TV!!  😂

Have you not seen the commercials, Kenny!?  Playing one on TV is close enough! (probably)

  • Haha 4

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, you should have known better.  You are not a doctor, but you played one on TV!!  😂

Now that’s funny 😂

  • Like 3

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Have you not seen the commercials, Kenny!?  Playing one on TV is close enough! (probably)

Or staying in a Holiday Inn Express.

  • Like 5

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t know why I went out out to course today. Wet and cold and playing on my own  felt stiff   Blaming the weather for poor distance. By the 6th hole I was finding my swing. The driver ball was carrying just as far as it was a hot sunny day. Funny how I was blaming the cold for my lack of distance. That’s what I get for playing 6 C (42F) lol

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Haro said:

Don’t know why I went out out to course today. Wet and cold and playing on my own  felt stiff   Blaming the weather for poor distance. By the 6th hole I was finding my swing. The driver ball was carrying just as far as it was a hot sunny day. Funny how I was blaming the cold for my lack of distance. That’s what I get for playing 6 C (42F) lol

I don't play in real cold too often (30'sF) but even in 40's & 50's i keep a hand warmer in my pocket and rotate golf balls between holes to keep them from getting too cold.  It may only be in my head but i play better with warm balls!  🤨

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friday Bacon Boyz!!!!  Yea! 
Fog again, 63* @ 7:20 Tee Time and using Titleist Tour Soft….Yellow Balls👍
Switched out TS1 driver for the G410 and was a great move.  G410 was behaving well, straight and longer than TS1 has been lately. Irons also working well but Putter was winter dormant! 
Finished 9 holes +4.

  • Like 7

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Friday Bacon Boyz!!!!  Yea! 
Fog again, 63* @ 7:20 Tee Time and using Titleist Tour Soft….Yellow Balls👍
Switched out TS1 driver for the G410 and was a great move.  G410 was behaving well, straight and longer than TS1 has been lately. Irons also working well but Putter was winter dormant! 
Finished 9 holes +4.

I just bought some Titleist Tour Soft Yellow Balls 👍 to play on these gray, cold days.  They were my goto winter balls last year, and I haven't found anything else that works as well.  Trying them out tomorrow in 41º temp tomorrow.

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I just bought some Titleist Tour Soft Yellow Balls 👍 to play on these gray, cold days.  They were my goto winter balls last year, and I haven't found anything else that works as well.  Trying them out tomorrow in 41º temp tomorrow.

I like them.  I only play Yellow because only color I can see/follow anymore 👍

  • Like 4

Rick

 

 

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I like them.  I only play Yellow because only color I can see/follow anymore 👍

I am going to have to try yellow.  I have a lot of trouble following the ball, especially in cloudy gray skies.  I know it's because I'm not wearing my glasses while playing.  I need them for distance but if i wear them it throws me way off when hitting the ball and when putting.  

  • Like 4

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

I am going to have to try yellow.  I have a lot of trouble following the ball, especially in cloudy gray skies.  I know it's because I'm not wearing my glasses while playing.  I need them for distance but if i wear them it throws me way off when hitting the ball and when putting.  

If you don't hit the ball very far like I do, they are easier to see.  🤣  

I quit wearing glasses for the same reason.  I can see white OK if it's a clear sunny day, but yellow is much better for cloudy days, and we get a lot of those days in Jan/Feb.

  • Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played Ross Bridge in Birmingham yesterday, had a great deal going so took advantage. Was a little damp and misting rain first couple holes but around 70* so not that bad. 

 

Only got 16 in due to a cutoff time with family and the two groups in front of us being so slow, but played pretty well, was +11. Given the conditions and how tough the course is usually, I was happy with that. Finished it off with a 30 footer for birdie from off the green, so that’ll keep me coming back! 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...