TESTERS WANTED! ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

I've been re-reading Butch Harmon's Playing Lessons. I took his advice today and took the longer club, swung smoothly at about 75%. Result was 9 gir, 8 fairways. Shot +5, +6 for 83. Should have broke 80, but had 4x 3-putts and 36 putts total. Just wasn't used to the smooth greens, and I rushed myself. Hit the Cobra King F6 4 iron a few times between 190-215 yds. The irons were really sweet today. Looks like I'm getting used to them.

Played this morning after work with a buddy at the course we'll be playing at for qualifiers next week. Tried to make better decisions today. The M1 hasn't come in yet so I've still got the G. Hit 3 wood on #1. Fairway, GIR, 2 putt par. #2 I pulled driver, hit it left into the woods, take a 7. #3 I hit 3 wood again, fairway, GIR, 2 putt par. #4 par 3 I make a bogey, no big deal. #5 I pull driver again, hook it into the water. Re-tee, hook another one into the water. Go get another ball, hit 3 wood, hit the fairway, hit the green, 2 putts for an 8.

The moral of the story is I hit 3 wood for the rest of the day and missed one fairway by a few feet. Played pretty well after that and stayed positive.

When you get your M1, just be sure to aim directly at your target, because that's where the ball will end up. It's a game-changer.

When you get your M1, just be sure to aim directly at your target, because that's where the ball will end up. It's a game-changer.

That's exactly my plan.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

Had some solid practice last night after class and then this morning I got in 12 holes before class. I birdied 11 and eagled 12 to end the day. I was -1 thru 12 with a double. Ball was not flying like I expected for the first few holes but I made the adjustment.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

In my 5 years of playing, tonight were the craziest 9 holes I've ever played. I played in league at the club. We have teams but it's basically one on one match play plus medal points for net scores.

We started on the par 5 14th hole. Toughest hole on the course for me. I popped up a 3 wood off the tee. Hit 6 iron for my second. Third shot I had 165 in. Decided to grip down on a 6 iron because of the wind. Snap hooked it into the woods. Hit a provisional but found the first one resting in the middle of a weed. I breathed on it and it moved. Ended up taking a 10 on the hole. At this point, I'm disappointed. I hit my next tee shot into a creek with a 5 iron trying to play it safe. Take my drop and hit the green from 189 and save bogey. Get to #16 and make bogey. Short par 5 #17 hit 3 wood then hook my hybrid into the water right of the green. Take a 7. I'm now +9 and 3 down thru 4 holes against a solid player and former multiple club champion.

Get to 18. 3 wood, wedge, birdie. 2 down. 10 I hit it left into the trees, punch out, get up and down from 45 yards to halve the hole. Still 2 down with 3 to go. Par 3 #11 I'm 20 feet above the pin. Opponent gets up and down for par. I make the putt for birdie. 1 down with 2 to go. I win #12 with a par. All square with one to go. I hit 5 iron off the tee then 8 iron to the back fringe. He hits driver, iron to 30 feet. He hits a good putt I give him his par. I make my 20 footer from the fringe for birdie to win the match 1 up.

First 4 holes +9. Played the last 5 holes at -3. Unreal. It ain't over til it's over.

This was the average width of a fairway.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByMyGolfSpy1461689833.174942.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Even I can't miss a fairway that big!

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

In my 5 years of playing, tonight were the craziest 9 holes I've ever played. I played in league at the club. We have teams but it's basically one on one match play plus medal points for net scores.

We started on the par 5 14th hole. Toughest hole on the course for me. I popped up a 3 wood off the tee. Hit 6 iron for my second. Third shot I had 165 in. Decided to grip down on a 6 iron because of the wind. Snap hooked it into the woods. Hit a provisional but found the first one resting in the middle of a weed. I breathed on it and it moved. Ended up taking a 10 on the hole. At this point, I'm disappointed. I hit my next tee shot into a creek with a 5 iron trying to play it safe. Take my drop and hit the green from 189 and save bogey. Get to #16 and make bogey. Short par 5 #17 hit 3 wood then hook my hybrid into the water right of the green. Take a 7. I'm now +9 and 3 down thru 4 holes against a solid player and former multiple club champion.

Get to 18. 3 wood, wedge, birdie. 2 down. 10 I hit it left into the trees, punch out, get up and down from 45 yards to halve the hole. Still 2 down with 3 to go. Par 3 #11 I'm 20 feet above the pin. Opponent gets up and down for par. I make the putt for birdie. 1 down with 2 to go. I win #12 with a par. All square with one to go. I hit 5 iron off the tee then 8 iron to the back fringe. He hits driver, iron to 30 feet. He hits a good putt I give him his par. I make my 20 footer from the fringe for birdie to win the match 1 up.

First 4 holes +9. Played the last 5 holes at -3. Unreal. It ain't over til it's over.

Great comeback. Did you see the Raptors 23-6 run in the third to comeback on the Pacers?

Played Iberostate GC today with my son. I played the tips and he played 17 holes from the forward tees and the last one from the tips. He made six natural pars and played well for his first round of the year.

I played the back tees at around 7,000 yards with a 73.2/126 rating and slope. Overall not a bad Dye layout and a heck a lot more forgiving than most of his tracks. Fairways were wide as Hard Rock and the greens held a bit better. Ended up with 37-37 for a +2 74. Drive of the day was aiming at the 100 yard stake and well, the photo speaks for itself.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Well, the best that I can say about yesterday's round, is that I must be getting better, because I played absolutely terrible, had no feel for the swing all day.  Had only 8 "quality" full shots, six of which were drives, yet shot a net -2.  42/44 86 (course HC is 16, at least until Sunday).  8th straight round of mid to low 80s.  What saved me was my under 80 yd wedge game and some really good chipping and long putts.  Short putts were for sh*t.  Missed 6 4-7 footers, made none ( I think the new oversized grip on the counterbalanced putter wasn't installed true).  But I guess, with the new swing, the bad, awful feeling shots aren't as bad as they used to be.  Only two doubles, one of which was a stubbed chip (had 105 to the hole on the number 3 HC hole and bladed the approach).  So a horrible day resulting in a score only 2 or 3 strokes less than my best rounds lately.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Played 9 with a buddy this morning, didn't really play for score, he was working on a few things so I thought I would try to get some feeling for the clubs, I hit it pretty well accept for a couple swings, but by the end of the day, I was swinging it pretty well. So we'll see come the weekend. It was good to chat with a friend and just swing with no pressure, just having a good time.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Played 9 with a buddy this morning, didn't really play for score, he was working on a few things so I thought I would try to get some feeling for the clubs, I hit it pretty well accept for a couple swings, but by the end of the day, I was swinging it pretty well. So we'll see come the weekend. It was good to chat with a friend and just swing with no pressure, just having a good time.

It's a completely different game, that's for sure!  If we could only let our minds get into this state when we are playing for something...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played my last round of vacation today at Teeth of the Dog. Played it from the tips at close to 7,400 yards. First off, Pete Dye is just a sadistic SOB to begin with and this course is insane from the back tees.

Went out off the back 9 first and started the round with a nice birdie on the 10th (400 yard Par 4). Made a nice up and down par on the Par 5 11th. Made a brutal double on 12 and then four straight bogies. Finished with two pars for 41.

Started the front 9 with a par then three straight birdies followed by for straight bogies. Got to the 600 yard par 5 9th and piped a drive that left me 251 to the front and 267 hole. My caddie talked me out of laying up by calling me a few names in Spanish that insulted my manhood. Ripped a 3 wood that landed on the front edge and rolled through the back. Chipped up and lipped out a 6 footer for birdie. Closed with 37 for 78 at a course with a slope and rating of 75.9/145. Pretty damn pleased with the round as I hit it well all day.

On a side note the Callaway X utilities are taking a timeout for a bit. Just lost confidence in them as quickly as I gained it.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

A few pics from the round today.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Played my last round of vacation today at Teeth of the Dog. Played it from the tips at close to 7,400 yards. First off, Pete Dye is just a sadistic SOB to begin with and this course is insane from the back tees.

Went out off the back 9 first and started the round with a nice birdie on the 10th (400 yard Par 4). Made a nice up and down par on the Par 5 11th. Made a brutal double on 12 and then four straight bogies. Finished with two pars for 41.

Started the front 9 with a par then three straight birdies followed by for straight bogies. Got to the 600 yard par 4 9th and piped a drive that left me 251 to the front and 267 hole. My caddie talked me out of laying up by calling me a few names in Spanish that insulted my manhood. Ripped a 3 wood that landed on the front edge and rolled through the back. Chipped up and lipped out a 6 footer for birdie. Closed with 37 for 78 at a course with a slope and rating of 75.9/145. Pretty damn pleased with the round as I hit it well all day.

On a side note the Callaway X utilities are taking a timeout for a bit. Just lost confidence in them as quickly as I gained it.

Please tell me that you mean 600 yard par 5 and not 4?  :o

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Yes. Stupid typo. Dye is not even that cruel.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Yesterday shot +8, +8 for an uninspired 88. Same course today:+3, +6 for 81. 10 pars, 1 double. Today i just kept an even tempo. I actually slowed down my driver swing and was amazed how the ball soared. Maybe I hit down a little more on the irons, had some well-controlled approaches. 8 fairways, 8 greens, 33 putts. The double was caused by hurrying the downswing with driver, went straight left into the H2O. One 3-putt, so I left a few strokes out there.

Shot 75 today. That's 72,76,75 for my three rounds away from my club this year. It was nice to be able to miss hit an iron a bit and have it still finish on the green. :).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Shot 75 today. That's 72,76,75 for my three rounds away from my club this year. It was nice to be able to miss hit an iron a bit and have it still finish on the green. :).

I did that last weekend.  It ROLLED all the way to the green.  350y par 4; driver and 3 putts for par!    :blush:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I was really out of sequence on my swing today.  And my putting (brought out the old putter to teach the new one a lesson--new one is laughing at me, didn't work at all).  Only three 'quality' full shots.  Yet, shot my course handicap--44/44 88 (helped by parring four of the last five holes).  I was very off in two rounds this week, but still scored my 10th consecutive round in the 80s, something I've never done before.  So, again, I must be getting better where my 'bad' rounds are like 10-15 shots better than my bad rounds used to be.  Did start to figure out over the last few holes why I was off.  Time for a video practice session before the next round!

I was really out of sequence on my swing today. And my putting (brought out the old putter to teach the new one a lesson--new one is laughing at me, didn't work at all). Only three 'quality' full shots. Yet, shot my course handicap--44/44 88 (helped by parring four of the last five holes). I was very off in two rounds this week, but still scored my 10th consecutive round in the 80s, something I've never done before. So, again, I must be getting better where my 'bad' rounds are like 10-15 shots better than my bad rounds used to be. Did start to figure out over the last few holes why I was off. Time for a video practice session before the next round!

It's definitely nice when what you feel is a bad is round is way better than what a bad round use to be.

It's definitely nice when what you feel is a bad is round is way better than what a bad round use to be.

I hate the opposite where you play a good round and look at the scorecard and it was a bloodbath. The best is where you shoot a good number after a really poor start. That gives you so much confidence going forward.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I hate the opposite where you play a good round and look at the scorecard and it was a bloodbath. The best is where you shoot a good number after a really poor start. That gives you so much confidence going forward.

Agreed. I felt like that the other day. I hit the ball well. Just had a few bad bounces here and there and the greens were rock hard. Wasn't upset about it though.

Made a 10 on a par 5 to start my night the other night. +9 thru 4, finished -3 thru the last 5. I just need to string together a solid round. It's been a struggle lately.

Played to handicap, 6 over. Should be happy with that, but had 4 X 3 putts (including one from fringe)

Greens were a bit slow, I couldn't settle into my stroke, especially on 6-8 foot putts.

Ball striking was ok, didn't hit many really good shots, but was never in any trouble.

Exact handicap edged down a tiny bit to my lowest exact of 4.9.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

82, hit the ball pretty good today, I had 9 putts today, count 'em 9 putts that were for par or birdie today that I struck really good and came up short, how short you ask, everyone one was less than the length of your phone, and they were all straight in be center of the cup, I could not figure the speed of the greens today, you would figure that at some point I would have knocked one off the planet, but nope, I came up short on everything, I wasn't too disappointed with my play today, just couldn't get he speed on the greens correct

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I hate the opposite where you play a good round and look at the scorecard and it was a bloodbath.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Two weeks ago I had a couple of rounds where I struck the ball better and more consistently than I ever have done before, and shot 84s, only 2/4 strokes better than this weeks "horrible" rounds.  Felt I left 6-8 strokes on the course that I could have easily made if I had played my short game as I know I can.  

Well it was a rough 24 hours for me from Friday night to Saturday. At the range practicing with my buddy for a two man scramble my beloved Accra shaft broke. So I went into the scramble without a trusted driver which wasn't any fun. But our first hole was the LD hole and I hit the first shot and it found the fairway and nobody beat it so that worked. Then on the second hole I was standing in the fairway waiting to hit when someone from the previous home hooked it and hit me in the thigh on the fly at that point I was ready to go home. But the day got better. We parred the first six holes them shot -8 once the rain stopped and the greens were better. Tied for second with three other teams but finished 4th after the tie breakers. My buddy played great and came up huge on some drives, he drove the green 4 times including the last hole which was 330 dogleg right over a big creek to a blind green. We two putted for bodies to tie the group we were playing with which we figured was good enough for first place. All in all a great day and I got a cool bruise show it.

Snell MTB-X

Well it was a rough 24 hours for me from Friday night to Saturday. At the range practicing with my buddy for a two man scramble my beloved Accra shaft broke. So I went into the scramble without a trusted driver which wasn't any fun. But our first hole was the LD hole and I hit the first shot and it found the fairway and nobody beat it so that worked. Then on the second hole I was standing in the fairway waiting to hit when someone from the previous home hooked it and hit me in the thigh on the fly at that point I was ready to go home. But the day got better. We parred the first six holes them shot -8 once the rain stopped and the greens were better. Tied for second with three other teams but finished 4th after the tie breakers. My buddy played great and came up huge on some drives, he drove the green 4 times including the last hole which was 330 dogleg right over a big creek to a blind green. We two putted for bodies to tie the group we were playing with which we figured was good enough for first place. All in all a great day and I got a cool bruise show it.

Last week just before a 3 man scramble my buddy cracked the face on his driver and had to use mine, which needless to say didn't fit him at all. So feel your pain there, not so much on the thigh shot. Ouch!

Yeah I used my buddies driver but his swing speed is about 130 with a playing driver and mine is 118 so I did t hit it well.

Snell MTB-X

Not sure why I haven't found time to post this yet but last Saturday I played in a 3 man scramble with a buddy an older fella that we play with from time to time. My buddy was off his game(he's usually around an 8 I guess). I played pretty decent but the wedges weren't great. The older guy who is at least scratch, was definitely on his game!

We started on 10 and were -6 through 18. Pared #1 then got hot. Old guy pitched one in from the fairway on 2 for eagle then I made a birdie on the next, and old guy chipped in for another eagle on the next hole, a par 5. Made all birdies until 9 where I figured hey I may as well try and drive the green with my 3w. Its a blind shot over some trees if you go that line. Fairway is to the right with water running up the left side of it, guarding the green. If you go left of the green it's OB. Needless to say this isn't a high percentage shot. I clipped some leaves as it barley went over the tree and landed just short of the green. And by Damn if the old guy lipped out another chip for eagle. We shot -10 on the front 9(our 2nd 9), with a par on #1 to shoot -16. We put our clubs in the car and turned in our card. There was a crawfish boil behind the clubhouse and we start eating crawfish and drinking beer, figuring we were done for the day.

After 20 or so min of eating and drinking the pro comes up to us to let know we were tied for 1st and going to have to play it off down 18 for the win. Normally that's no biggie but 18 is overlooked by the clubhouse and back pavilion(where the crawfish boil was). So there were going to be a hundred plus people(100-150) watching us play it off. I thought my buddy was gonna pass out haha! He hates it when others watch him play. I on the other hand love it! Anyways, we end up having to play the hole a few times and finally lose it by missing a putt we shouldn't have. It happens! Overall 2nd place with 40 plus 3 man teams ain't too shabby I guess.

Sorry for the novel, but it was one of the cooler experiences of my golfing life so far.

Not many chances where your regular Joe schmoe golfer gets to play in front of a decent sized gallery and hear the ooo's and ah's the pros get to hear.

Yeah I used my buddies driver but his swing speed is about 130 with a playing driver and mine is 118 so I did t hit it well.

My friend's swing speed and mine are similar but I like heavy shaft small head and he likes light shaft big head. So he was playing a big ass fade all day haha

Edit: Tell your friend to lay off the juice! Lol