How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

11 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

I’ll start by saying yesterday was my first round with a chipper, and I had a brand new 4H and 56* in my bag also. It looks like I batted 1.000 with all of them. The Smart Sole C was phenomenal. I’d gotten very tippy around the greens, but this not only worked great on the practice green Friday, it was terrific yesterday. By the end of the round I was looking for any chance I could to use it, and there wasn’t a shot I didn’t pull off! I honestly think it’s a matter of when, not if I start holing out a few from off the green.

The 4H was like all my other Halo series clubs. Not the longest I’ve ever played, mishit’s tend to come up short but stay online. I get away with murder with these clubs. 
I took my 54&58 out of the bag and replaced them with a 56 because I needed a spot for the chipper. I only used it twice, once after driving into a pot bunker in the middle of a fairway, and one green side bunker. No issues, but I’d like to have had a few full shots with it, but the opportunity never came up.

We played a quota game, and I had to make 25 points from the 5800 yd Senior tees. I had a very good round, shot 78 and was +3 which won my flight by 3 points! The only “blemish” was a double on the par 5 18, I hit a very good drive, but it had started raining pretty hard two holes earlier, and I lost my grip on my next two swings. Both were topped about 30yds. 🙄 I took of my glove for the next shot, but I had a little red a** by then and hit it over the green. Chip, 2 putts, added up to a wet, sloppy 7.

To sum it up, I could not be happier with the round. My sciatica is finally gone, I played pain free, scored well, and love the changes I made to my bag.

Excellent man excellent----- Main thing is you are pain free----- We did ok on the Shootout for what we have to work with player wise. Shot -5 which did not get jack because -11 won it which I predicted before hand. We had like 4 good strong player teams and I knew with our team it would hard to place in the slots. My bud from Ohio who is a good guy does not understand anything about golf could not figure how I could predict the top teams and scores. I told him I had played in the darn thing nearly every Saturday for 3 years and know all the games of players and the teams.  I also added that after my accident our team split up and I was a floater for a year or too and at one time or the other had played with most of them. Also played with quite a few of them in the 9 and Dines.

Had a couple of clubs in the bag I had not tried in a while. A friend of mine who used to be a Titleist Staffer gave me a new unhit Vokey SM 5 I think it is 58*. Man it hits good. Put two blasts from my past back in my bag a Vokey 252 series 52* and an old Bulls Eye putter with a round leather grip. Our course has gotten into great shape and the greens are great. I went back to my old school roots putting and putted lights out.

I am also pain free after making drastic swing changes and have been playing at least 9 holes every day

• Like 7

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

7 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Excellent man excellent----- Main thing is you are pain free----- We did ok on the Shootout for what we have to work with player wise. Shot -5 which did not get jack because -11 won it which I predicted before hand. We had like 4 good strong player teams and I knew with our team it would hard to place in the slots. My bud from Ohio who is a good guy does not understand anything about golf could not figure how I could predict the top teams and scores. I told him I had played in the darn thing nearly every Saturday for 3 years and know all the games of players and the teams.  I also added that after my accident our team split up and I was a floater for a year or too and at one time or the other had played with most of them. Also played with quite a few of them in the 9 and Dines.

Had a couple of clubs in the bag I had not tried in a while. A friend of mine who used to be a Titleist Staffer gave me a new unhit Vokey SM 5 I think it is 58*. Man it hits good. Put two blasts from my past back in my bag a Vokey 252 series 52* and an old Bulls Eye putter with a round leather grip. Our course has gotten into great shape and the greens are great. I went back to my old school roots putting and putted lights out.

I am also pain free after making drastic swing changes and have been playing at least 9 holes every day

I know what you mean about knowing how teams will finish. You play with a group long enough, you just know. 😉

I love the layout of your home course, and I’m so happy to hear it’s in great shape now!

I used to play in their shootout every week when I only came down for the winter 12-15 years ago ( man, the years fly by). They always had a little breakfast setup, 3 or 4 10’ hero’s and raffles afterward. I loved it! The owners there are locals, and couldn’t be better people.
When I played with the Flounders, we would play there 2x a year, because we wanted to support them, and they would give us a free replay coupon each time.  As the years went by, the Flounders had a lot of turnover, and the new guys complained about it so much we stopped playing there. I told the guy who runs the league, in my 15 years of playing, when he dropped them from the schedule it was the only time I was ashamed to be associated with the group.

Im glad you’re feeling better also buddy. Now if this weather would just let up a bit we’ll be firing on all cylinders!

• Like 5

:ping-small: G425 Max 9*(set at 10*) 

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 15*

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max OS 19* & 21*

:cleveland-small: Launcher XL Halo 5-DW or PXG 0311 Gen3 XP 5-GW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 56* Smart Sole 4 C or CBX 54*&58*

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG DW Stroke Lab 34” 

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+ Black 

Currently Testing L.A.B  DF2.1 putter

Moved from the Shot of the day thread... still hot from the round today!!

My wife and I got paired with a twosome this morning.  One guy looked familiar... I used to work with him from 1975-1980.  Lots of old times to talk about!!  Well, their golf games sucked.  Mine wasn't the best either.

I started... Birdie-Par-Double-Birdie-Double and finished the front nine with a 43 (+6).  The back nine was better; shot 38 (+3) for a round of 81.  One of my poorest driving days in quite awhile.  Also, it was difficult to make up anything on the greens as they were much slower than normal.  Maintenance put something on them that made them "sticky"... fungicide, I think.  I could feel it on the ball after putting.  Probably causes cancer; I wonder if I'll see an ad on TV from some law group telling me to call right now!!  😬

• Like 9
  • Hmmm 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I wonder if I'll see an ad on TV from some law group telling me to call right now!!

... I saw a joke a few days ago and a guy was in a car accident and banged up pretty good. The first person arriving at the scene asked "Are you seriously injured?" and he responded "How should I know, I'm not a lawyer!"

• Love 1
  • Haha 8

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           :taylormade-small: Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

After teeing off on seven, Mark realized he'd lost his phone so he peeled off to search for it. 

I have never lost my phone from the pocket of my golf bag... where it stays when I play.  I'm not that important and everything can wait until I'm done.  😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

39 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have never lost my phone from the pocket of my golf bag... where it stays when I play.  I'm not that important and everything can wait until I'm done.  😂

He's on his phone CONSTANTLY!  He got into sports betting earlier this year and he's always placing bets or looking for info.  He's a great friend and has been an incredible help as we've gotten into golf but he's got some infuriating golf quirks.  He's got the longest pre-shot routine that I've ever played with, and he has a bad habit of teeing off last so he can sit on his phone, then he doesn't even get up until after everyone else has hit.  He can also get caught up in conversation regularly.  

To be fair, pace of play has almost never been an issue with him.  I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum; nobody plays quicker than me and I could definitely stand to slow down and smell the flowers a little more.

• Like 6

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Tour Edge Exotics 3 wood and Bazooka 7 wood

Titleist 21° and Grand Hawk XR3 hybrids

Adams Idea 6-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and SM8 60° wedges

Ray Cook Silver Ray IV putter

2 week layoff for me (thanks Covid) but managed a 79 for my 1st round back. 6 Fir 11 Gir 2/6 up & down, with a whopping 36 putts. Surprised I shot that well, honestly. I felt exhausted after about 12 holes. Wouldn’t have made it if I was walking today…

• Like 9

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

He's on his phone CONSTANTLY!  He got into sports betting earlier this year and he's always placing bets or looking for info.  He's a great friend and has been an incredible help as we've gotten into golf but he's got some infuriating golf quirks.  He's got the longest pre-shot routine that I've ever played with, and he has a bad habit of teeing off last so he can sit on his phone, then he doesn't even get up until after everyone else has hit.  He can also get caught up in conversation regularly.  

To be fair, pace of play has almost never been an issue with him.  I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum; nobody plays quicker than me and I could definitely stand to slow down and smell the flowers a little more.

Someone constantly on the phone would probably get to me after a while. Just irritating.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Wedges; Titleist S9 54*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I know what you mean about knowing how teams will finish. You play with a group long enough, you just know. 😉

I love the layout of your home course, and I’m so happy to hear it’s in great shape now!

I used to play in their shootout every week when I only came down for the winter 12-15 years ago ( man, the years fly by). They always had a little breakfast setup, 3 or 4 10’ hero’s and raffles afterward. I loved it! The owners there are locals, and couldn’t be better people.
When I played with the Flounders, we would play there 2x a year, because we wanted to support them, and they would give us a free replay coupon each time.  As the years went by, the Flounders had a lot of turnover, and the new guys complained about it so much we stopped playing there. I told the guy who runs the league, in my 15 years of playing, when he dropped them from the schedule it was the only time I was ashamed to be associated with the group.

Im glad you’re feeling better also buddy. Now if this weather would just let up a bit we’ll be firing on all cylinders!

Indigo has the same owners and basically the same atmosphere. I know about the Flounders traveling group. Now the Sandpipers I know quite a few of them and sometimes they come down and play with us usually a seperate event. They have a waiting list but I have some inside info and can join. In fact I was planning that when I got hurt. After my recovery I have been content to stick around Indigo because it is by the house. I went ahead a couple of weeks ago when the opportunity presented itself to purchase the full Royal Membership. I can play as much as I want to and it does not cost me zilch. I basically get out early and no one bothers me. Yep I am pretty well content there. Lots of people do not know this but that course plays a lot harder than the card indicates. One of the things I like is it sets up well for me from different tees with what equipment I choose to play that day. 

• Like 4

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Exactly mine stays in my car if I bother to bring it. I have always marched to the beat of my own drum and been rebellious. I dont do e mails either. I am not good at texting because of my bannana fingers either. I only answer calls and messages from numbers I have programmed in my phone. Had someone ask what seems to be a standard question these days " what if your wife needs you?" Well first off she knows darn well where I am at and if need be my course has a land line and everyone there knows me and someone can come get me. Other than her in my life these days nothing but her or our dog constitutes an emergency in my world. Yep I am one who does not live life with a phone on my hip at all times.

IMHO it is a sad state of affairs when pastors ( mine included) have to remind people at the start of services to turn off their cell phones. Yet from where I sit I see them all the time either texting or on the internet during services. And it is just not young people either it can be folks my age or even older. IMHO if they are going to do that why bother to go to church at all. Now I commented on that one time and someone said well some have the Bible on their phone. Yeah ok I will buy that but they aint reading the scripture text the whole sermon. 

Now I know I am harsh sometimes and I can see someone that is a professional person on call having to carry one in church etc. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, JerryB said:

I have been known to leave people talking on their phone---- On the course I usually take my own cart. That came from my back hurt days where I could ride easy and not jar my back. I have more than one time played on and left others sitting talking on the phone. I also hate carrying on a conversation with someone and the phone rings. "oh I gotta take this" I usually walk off. Have done that on more than one occasion. I also hate people standing in line and the phone rings and from listening it is usually BS and then they hold up the line. I have been known to yell at people "HANG UP AND ORDER OR GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!!!  Lots of businesses here have signs No Cell Phone Usage in Line. People do not pay that any attention they think it does not pertain to them.

At the house at supper time even though it is just me and the wife our phones are cut completely off. Seems most of these sales jerks want to call right in the supper hour. And what is funny is all of the messages are "urgent". LOL told one of those guys one day when I bothered to answer nothing this day in time in my life is "urgent" now unless it involves my wife or the one dog. Now this brain dead zombie kept on about they had left (again) 3 "urgent" messages about extended warranty car insurance and he had the gall to say I had not responded. I told him last time I looked I paid the bill on the phone and I decided who I wanted to talk to and to me his messages were not urgent. If it was urgent enough that he needed to sell extended insurance to eat I suggested he go get a real job at Kroger or something. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

July Medal on Saturday for me and started where I left off last week striking the ball well but started going off the rails at the 9th. Pushed 2nd from A one drive left me short sided and a double. Birdie 10 then a double cross on  11 for a triple. A part from that steady for the rest of the round for a 78 and a cut from 7.1 to 6.6.

Playing at Largs GC on Sunday in my 3rd round of the Golf in Scotland series event. Largs was my 1st club when I was a junior so always look forward to it. The greens were the best I played in all year, slick and true. At 6150 yds off the whites not particularly long but the greens are its protection with deceptive burrows and breaks. Came in with 29 points, with my down fall being "Amen Corner" 9, 10 and 11. Off the tee I was cutting the ball and struggled to sort it that left 9 and 10 with long 3h shots in. At the 9th cut the approach and left myself short sided, too smart 3rd into greenside bunker for a blob. 10th setup looking for the cut on my second and went straight into the rough for a lost ball. 2 blobs and a 2 pointer at 11 put an end to me being in contention.

Good news is my putting is improving 28 putts on both rounds. "Zen Golf"? One thing from the book I found I used was the visualisation on short breaking putts, which I've always had problems with. Had a couple really quick ones yesterday and holed them both right in the centre.

Quiet week this week

• Like 6

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag