Our Sponsors

You know, there may have been a time in the past where I wouldn't want to post my scores for public knowledge.

But sine then, I've learned a long time ago, there's a lot better golfers than me in the world, and there are a lot worse than me out there. In this day and age of the internet, you can talk a big game if you want, scratch player, and 300 yard drives and such. But what if you get invited out to play with a group that reads the same forum you do, and they are expecting to see that type game. Your true game and true character will become pretty obvious, pretty quickly. A simple I'm having an off day, won't cut it when you can barely hit it 220 yards and shooting in the 90's as opposed to even par.

So I make no bones about it or as some say, there's no shame in my game :D I'm not going to say I'm a "Hopeless Hack" and of course I'd love to be a single digit cap, but at a 18 index, I shot right around my cap. Matter of fact one of my playing partners yesterday was a 2 index who I have known but never played with before. He told me I played much better than what he was expecting based on hearing me talk about my game and saying I was a 20 HC.

Remember we are only expected to shoot your handicap 1 out of every 5 rounds, it's a measure of your potential, not your average score.

Yeah, it was a great event, one that those of us who play in it, usually refer to it as the Best Day of Golf All Year.

Hey, it's just a number is how I'm going to look at it as well.You can't put a bad number on a fun time.The golf internet fora Has many that maybe "bend-or slightly" bend the truth on their abilities.Your post makes me feel more comfortable posting my results as well.At the end of the day who really cares what we Shot.As long as we tried our best and had a good time.Feel free to call me " hopeless hack or chopper extraordinare".Kinda like the sound of those anyway.At least we are out there enjoying what we like to do

Thank you

• Like 1

Keep it in the short stuff

• Replies 15.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

I got a hole in one on the first hole today. Makes for a really enjoyable round. Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Posted Images

Hey, it's just a number is how I'm going to look at it as well.You can't put a bad number on a fun time.The golf internet fora Has many that maybe "bend-or slightly" bend the truth on their abilities.Your post makes me feel more comfortable posting my results as well.At the end of the day who really cares what we Shot.As long as we tried our best and had a good time.Feel free to call me " hopeless hack or chopper extraordinare".Kinda like the sound of those anyway.At least we are out there enjoying what we like to do

Thank you

Well Said!   I recall a thread on some forum, I honestly can't remember if it was here or THP, one of the two, that encouraged those who may not be low single digits to post there scores and not be ashamed of it.  it would be nice to resurrect that, or heck maybe I'll start it, if I can't find it.   In a way it was kind of like a trainer who says "Don't be afraid to ask a "dumb" question, chances are there are many out there who have the same question but are afraid to ask it"   

While my event was a competition and there were nice prizes given out in both net and gross, to me it was a great chance to spend 13 hours with 3 good friends, enjoying the game and the spirit of competition.   

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

39 + 44 / 83  today....    Absolutely had a good time with my locals buds and lost a few bucks however, it's all good. 

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Not a good start to tournament season for me. Went 79, and 75 to finish top 20 out of 115. that includes two triples and two doubles for the weekend :( Horrible starts to both rounds as I was 8 over after 7 in my first round and 5 over after 4 for the second round

In my bag:

Driver: :honma: TR20 460 9.5* Vizard TR20 60X

Wood: :mizuno-small: ST200 TS Dimana D+PLUS Limited Edition 70X

Hybrids: :mizuno-small: CLK 19* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX

Irons: :honma: TW 747 Rose Proto 4-PW Modus Tour 120X

Wedges: :honma: TW-W4 52*, 56*, and 60*Modus Tour 125 Wedge 

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Well Said! I recall a thread on some forum, I honestly can't remember if it was here or THP, one of the two, that encouraged those who may not be low single digits to post there scores and not be ashamed of it. it would be nice to resurrect that, or heck maybe I'll start it, if I can't find it. In a way it was kind of like a trainer who says "Don't be afraid to ask a "dumb" question, chances are there are many out there who have the same question but are afraid to ask it"

While my event was a competition and there were nice prizes given out in both net and gross, to me it was a great chance to spend 13 hours with 3 good friends, enjoying the game and the spirit of competition.

start one up.And let's just keep an honest tab of scores.A place to maybe vent as well
  • Like 1

Keep it in the short stuff

State of the game is in a side spin right now. Last 2 rounds, 103 and 100. True both were played in the rain on tough, woody courses and when your tee box game is hit or miss, you might throw in the towel.

Well I kept plugging away. Posted a more realistic round of 88 today. Tee game is still hit or miss but I was able to save it with a strong long game and solid wedges. Lot of one putts that look cool on the stat sheet, but really wasn't a true measure for me today.

Gotta keep grindin!

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

• Like 2
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Back to back rounds right before sunrise took a toll on me today. Yesterday was ok play safe golf for the first few holes, by the time I'm warmed up no damage was done got hot with the putter on the last few holes shot 70.

This morning was not as kind. Tried to play it safe again hit 6i off the tee, missed the fairway. From the first cut tried to hit another 6i to the green, pulled it, the ball caught the side hill rolled down a bit. For some reasons I thought the 6i was still the right club so I chipped with it rolled 30' long ended up on the fringe another chip with 6i and 2 putts for a double. It happened to be the last time I hit that 6i for the rest of the round, not by choice but never get near the distance range.

Limped in the rest of the round ended with 81. Good news is with the 2somes playing behind us and no one at the tenth we play each round less than 2 hrs. Got home before anyone even wakes up, like it never happened:)

• Like 3

Played my first round match of our season long club match play tournament. Second year in a row that I was giving a lot of shots and this year it was 16 shots. Played lights out on the front nine to build a 4 up lead standing on 10. Two wayward tee shots on the back nine and some good play by my opponent had me one down on 17. Won 17 with a nice par out of a fairway bunker and closed it out with a win on 18 to move onto the second round. Hit it better than I have so far this season but still need to tighten up some loose swings that pop up mid round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

... Crazy windy day with 25-30mph winds. Scoring was even more crazy. On the front 9 I had 4 bogies, 4 birdies and an eagle on the par 4 #9th hole. I had 191 dead into the wind and hit a low King Utility that landed about 15 yds in front of the green then rolled up on the green and into the front location hole. Back 9 was much more normal although I started with a 330 yd drive on #10, now dead downwind and caught a slight downslope and I birdied that hole. That drive was 40 yards past any drive I have ever hit on that hole. Combination of a perfectly struck drive in the center of the face, 1st time playing the TP5x and just started playing my F6 with the weight up front and loft at 11.5*. I didn't sniff 300 the rest of the day. I parred the rest until 18 and bogged he final hole for a 70 in the wind. I really wanted a 69 in that wind but I am not complaining, especially considering my amazing luck on #9. It was a really good day. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Yesterday, I played in an outing with one of my senior associations.   For the first time in a long, long time, I broke 80, I shot a 78.   But for full disclosure, I must note that the host course had us playing from only what could be called the "Super Senior" tees (5,774 yards, with a 67.6 rating and a 117 slope).   Had we played from our typical tees, while I think I would have stayed in the low 80s, I would never had such a score.   Even so, damm was it a lot of fun.

• Like 5

This morning was not as kind. Tried to play it safe again hit 6i off the tee, missed the fairway. From the first cut tried to hit another 6i to the green, pulled it, the ball caught the side hill rolled down a bit. For some reasons I thought the 6i was still the right club so I chipped with it rolled 30' long ended up on the fringe another chip with 6i and 2 putts for a double. It happened to be the last time I hit that 6i for the rest of the round, not by choice but never get near the distance range.

... Been there done that. Probably the most maddening shots for me are the iron safe play off the tee or lay up on a par 5 that misses the fairway. I have to be diligent in remembering to swing freely and not guide the ball. It is so easy to let your concentration slip just a little because it is such an "easy shot". 

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Yesterday, I played in an outing with one of my senior associations.   For the first time in a long, long time, I broke 80, I shot a 78.   But for full disclosure, I must note that the host course had us playing from only what could be called the "Super Senior" tees (5,774 yards, with a 67.6 rating and a 117 slope).   Had we played from our typical tees, while I think I would have stayed in the low 80s, I would never had such a score.   Even so, damm was it a lot of fun.

Congrats on the great round Wahoo!!  Nothing wrong with 5,774,  I wouldn't call those Super Senior, tees they are bout the length of the Senior tees on both our courses.

And as a good friend once told me, it doesn't matter what distance you are playing, "You've still got to hit solid golf shots to shoot that well"  

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

45 / 40 = 85

Too many doubles on the front and three putting # 17 cost me a 39 on the back. You show nuff golfers laugh. When us hackers are bragging about almost breaking 40.

I did hit the longest drive (love my F6 Cobra) I've hit in a loooong time today.

Par 5 number 17 I actually FLEW the top bunker which I haven't only flew into a couple of times. The white tees were back close to the blues so it (according to my friends was a 250 carry)! . I don't do that. It's not normal however when I hit that sucker it took off like a scared rabbit. It rolled out to 270 and I had a 7 iron into a par five. 160 yards down hill. Short par five from the whites but never the less I don't hit seven irons into them.

I was so excited I chunked my second shot, pitched my third 12 foot by the hole and then three putted the bast*rd!

Fun day and I picked up $5.00 bucks on the back

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  XR16 4- Wood
Callaway Steelhead 3 Hybrid
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 5 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Tommy Armour Over N Out 58 Degree Lob
Wilson Harmonized Chipper 32 Degrees
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter OR Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Shot a 43 in a nine hole league last night. Didn't hit the ball bad, but it wasn't as good as I thought I would be hitting it. Back to the old drawing board...

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I've been playing from the whites the last few times out and scoring really low, so today we played with a youngster who played from the blacks. He was an ex college player and works at a golf store.

He was all of 5'-8", and maybe 150 soaking wet.

So he lights up his first drive about 290...

Wow!

So anyways, I decide to play blues to see if I can still go low from there. Ended up tying the kid at 73.

But the really odd part about the day was that I didn't really hit the ball well all day!

Missed the green all day.

BUT

My short game was on fire!

My weakest part is the short stuff, but today..., I put everything within a foot or two, and actually sank two.

So oddly, I shot poorly, but scored well, thanks to short game.

I'm usually higher in GIR, hence I don't have a lot of practice with short stuff. Today I didn't have it, but the short game saved me.

Moral of the day, work on short game too...

• Like 4

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Shot a 43-40/83 today in one of my better ball striking rounds.  Just couldn't sink a putt.  We counted 7 lip outs or edges grazed.  Had a lesson yesterday and without any practice except for the pre-round range, I was able to incorporate the focus of the lesson quite successfully and with great results, particularly with the long irons and wedges.  Two kick-in birdies, and also had GIRs in proximity to the hole on the 1 through 5 handicap holes.  Trending down!

• Like 3

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Played the company scramble today. Drank a ton but still managed to hit it well. The highlight was the 325 yard 16th. Hit my drive 310 to the fringe and chipped in a long one for an eagle 2.

• Like 5

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

5 over playing off 8. Really happy with my round after struggling with back issues for a while, including missing last week. Hit my irons better than I have for a long time. Short game was good after a soft 3 putt on the first.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:cobra-small: F8 4 Hybrid
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Played with Jeff Wannabe golfer yesterday. It was tons of fun. The only enjoyment that I'm getting on the golf course these days is the company. He is great, great company.

As for my game it's a total mess. The good news is that I'm so bad with the driver that I can't get into any trouble with it especially now that it's wet. So I plod along rarely hitting the ball on the club face trying to get myself into position to get up and down for par enough times to break 80. Today I went 40-40. I had a stretch on the back where I started to hit it good and then tweaked my back. :(

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them