Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

John, I'll switch to blades when PGA Tour pros do. :) An overwhelming majority of them use cavity back game improvement irons.

When I played golf in my teens and twenties there were no game improvement irons. Everybody played blades and it wasn't easy. The first thing I did when I got back into the game at age 51 was get some cavity backs and I haven't looked back. Of course, 21 years later I'm on my 6th different set of irons.

Now there are game improvement irons and there are game improvement irons. The TM R9 is perimeter weighted but still allows me to draw and fade the ball. TM Burner irons are so user friendly it's almost impossible to hit the ball other than straight.

Semper Fi

My Club

I picked a poor day to move back a set of tees. I drove the ball like Tiger Woods. Popup to the right; pull hook to the left etc.

A four over 76 from 6400 yards on a wet course and it could have been worse. After the round I went to the practice range, hit 10 drives and 10 lob wedges and never missed a shot.

Nothing is permanent in this game.

Semper Fi

My Club

Starting to play a lot, but struggling to round back into form. Shot an 89 last week at Randall Oaks here in the Northwest Suburbs, which is my regular track. Have had a couple of 9 hole rounds in the low forties, but otherwise this season has been pretty forgettable thus far.

One thing I've figured out this past week is my grip pressure has been way too strong causing a lot of problems including turning my draw into a hook and also a loss in distance. I was hitting the ball a half to a full club shorter and couldn't figure out why until I realized that all that tension was wreaking havoc with my swing.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The Tale of Two Cities:

Took a lesson at lunch Friday, and came away from it feeling very confident. Left work early, and played 18 with some co-workers, shot an 87, a little better than my average, but left a lot of puts around the cup. The swing felt great.

Saturday, the wheels came off, played 18 with a big group of friends struggled, with all phases of my game. Shot a 101, the worst round by far in almost 2 years!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

The Tale of Two Cities:

Took a lesson at lunch Friday, and came away from it feeling very confident. Left work early, and played 18 with some co-workers, shot an 87, a little better than my average, but left a lot of puts around the cup. The swing felt great.

Saturday, the wheels came off, played 18 with a big group of friends struggled, with all phases of my game. Shot a 101, the worst round by far in almost 2 years!

Ahhhhhhh golf. I love IT!!!!!! Did you happen to end up letting your putter or wedges go for a little flight???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Shot even par 72 from 6500 yards this morning. A couple of birdies and a couple of bogeys caused by bad chips.

I hit a 2 hybrid off the first tee today, the first time I ever did that. Better to hit it 200 yards down the middle than a snap hook into the weeds the same distance was my reasoning. I parred the hole.

Even though I normally play from around 6100 yards my tee shots were landing in the same spots today. It must be the effect of the Fazio mounding or something......

Semper Fi

My Club

Bob, look at my reviews of the series of 4 lessons in the Golf Lesson section. I never played like that before, but now, just because it's a par 5, doesn't mean automatic driver off the tee. My problem before these lessons was I getting the club face ahead of my hands a whole lot, boy what a difference now. I can't wait to play tonight!!!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• 2 weeks later...

My last 2 mens league rounds have been very solid... for me. +1 32 2 weeks ago, and a -1 29 last week. I'm not quite sure what is going on, but I am not about to begin thinking about it...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

95 yesterday on a very tough course from the tips, bad front side, but came together on the backside when I stopped trying to keep up with my very long driving friend.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

95 yesterday on a very tough course from the tips, bad front side, but came together on the backside when I stopped trying to keep up with my very long driving friend.

nicely done sir... always good when it comes together.

Played 9 after work yesterday from the tips, shot a 42, was a very good round for me, 3 pars, and bogey golf, with 1 double, because I can't putt!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

Shot 44 on Friday. Shot 91 today, first time over 90 in a long while. I blame Blaine.

Hopefully tomorrow morning's round will feature fewer ground balls.

I'll take the blame. It was obvious from observing Matt's swing and especially his length off the tee that he is a much better player than what he showed me today. It probably didn't help that I started praising certain aspects of his game (which got him thinking about good he should be). :D

As for me, I shot an 88 with a triple and a double on the front. Putted horribly on the front nine and did better in that phase on the back.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun playing with Matt. Hopefully we can do it again soon (when our schedules permit).

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Obviously not enough swing lube for matt at the turn (or maybe too much).

You two can have the rubber match at the MGS Vegas Open 2010 this Fall...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Swing lube was not an issue, as I tell everyone, I take drinking and golf too seriously to intermingle the two.

Today was both better and worse. Saturday I shot 91 without hitting more than a handful of iron shots into the air (it was really that bad, Blaine will testify), so I felt good about holding it together with wedges and putting. Today I shot 90 and found a million ways to make bogey: GIR + 3 putt, missed green + chip + 2 putt, double chip + 1 putt. It was frustrating because everything worked well at some point during the round, but nothing ever came together. It was nice to see hints of things working though. If the rain holds off (which I don't think it will), I'm playing tomorrow AM with my dad. I am confident that I will put a few things together.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Saturday I shot 91 without hitting more than a handful of iron shots into the air (it was really that bad, Blaine will testify)

You were definitely grinding, but that's what good players do when they don't have their best stuff.

Did you make it out on Monday? We hit the range over at Randall Oaks at 8AM and they blew the sirens just as I got through a large bucket. It didn't thunderstorm until almost an hour later. I would have been pissed if I were playing because it rained for an hour after that. All those guys with early tee times probably spent half their morning in the clubhouse and then ended up taking rain checks.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I got in 6 holes Monday with my dad. Scoring was similar to Saturday and Sunday but the flickers of my best game were longer, and I hit some shots that were top 10%, so I walked away very happy. I feel like if I don't go through another "2 weeks without touching clubs" stretch, I should start to see some good golf soon.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

There is a driving range and par 3 down the road from my house that I frequent quite often. I went Saturday to hit a small bucket of balls and hone in my short game on the par 3 (holes range from 76-160yds). I shanked the entire small bucket of balls, then went out to the par 3 and shot -2; man I love golf.

Went out solo Friday after work, shot a 44 on the front side before having to go home, easy course, but a good score none the less.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

This weeks league score was a POS due to the Standard Amount of Crappy putting. Ball striking was really good, but the stupid putter was the same as before... no different. I hit 8 greens out of 9, and still shot 4 over, with one Bird. That means 4 3 putts, and one miss from 4 feet.

Stupid game.

I still haven't thrown my putter this year........ yet.

Shot 75 yesterday with only 26 putts. Pins were set for a tournament and pretty tight, so I hit a lot of short side fringes. My GIR took a hit (I only missed 2 greens, but it still went down as a 9/18 GIR round), but my PPR went way down, due to putting from the fringe a lot. All in all, it was a good day.

Shot 75 yesterday with only 26 putts. Pins were set for a tournament and pretty tight, so I hit a lot of short side fringes. My GIR took a hit (I only missed 2 greens, but it still went down as a 9/18 GIR round), but my PPR went way down, due to putting from the fringe a lot. All in all, it was a good day.

Nice round..

Nice round..

Thanks. It sounds like we're in the same boat; I've been striking the ball very well, my putting has been horrendous. While I only had 26 putts yesterday, I lipped out 5 very makable birdies. I just switched to the split-handed putting grip and it must have worked, because before my putts weren't even hitting the lips.

Thanks. It sounds like we're in the same boat; I've been striking the ball very well, my putting has been horrendous. While I only had 26 putts yesterday, I lipped out 5 very makable birdies. I just switched to the split-handed putting grip and it must have worked, because before my putts weren't even hitting the lips.

I am considering a long putter.

and bowling.

Played in a 4 ball handicap match for our Cup Team yesterday. Those guys ran into a buzzsaw! I shot a 36 on the front and my partner shot 37! Closed them out on 13, after which I proceeded to bogey my way in for a 79, ruining what should have been my best round of the season!

Team won 6-4, which makes us 2-1 overall with 3 more to play!

I love playing well when it matters!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I am considering a long putter.

and bowling.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering" - Yoda.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Shot a season low nine hole round of 42 at Pinecrest CC today. My putting fundamentals had gotten sloppy and I switched back to a reverse overlap putting grip which has made all the difference in the world.

I'm also digging the new irons. I have to focus a little more - especially when hitting the long irons. But, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT