How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

Snuck out yesterday; pretty mundane 86, but could have been 106! Short game saved me; (Ping Glide 2.0 wedges, THANKS MGS! and Mati MAMO putter (also THANKS MGS!)) didn't have worse than a bogey until 17 (triple [emoji849]) then hit a bomb on 18 & made bogey from 105 in the middle of the fairway. Ugh...

Did try the Vice Pro for the first time and was very impressed. Doubt the ball felt the same about me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Last weekend played mostly pretty well (but .. not completely well...) in a charity outing (upstate NY) that my wife and I have participated in the past few years running; one of her good friends is one of the event sponsors. Anyway, we were a 3-man team playing best ball and ended up with a team 78 (gross) .. which I'm really happy with .. especially considering the two other guys only play 2 - 3 times a year! And one guy only started playing a few years ago .. in this tournament! But everyone contributed.

We did add a "ghost" member to our team so that we could take 4 shots, if needed, and yes .. many times it was needed. And our friend "Will" (named after the Geico commercial: "Fire at Will!") pulled off a number of good shots all over the course to save Par a bunch of times. Almost made a few Birdies, too, but we just couldn't get those first putts to drop. Way to go, Will! ;-) Ha, but it was all for a good cause and we were certainly not ever in contention for first place!

I was able to contribute a few tee shots (surprising myself) and a number of approach shots, long and short, plus some greenside shipping. Putting was also good but here each team member definitely contributed .. including the "weakest" golfer who sunk several clutch putts for us.

Didn't win any prizes .. despite dropping a few hundred on raffle tickets .. but again: all for a good cause .. and we got two good meals, a couple of beers and a great round of golf out of it. And the real winner? "Friendship", as my friend Joe kept quipping.

So anyway, one of my "takeaways" from the day is that even though I played way waaaay much better than last year (and all prior years) - I'm starting to "get" a better first-hand insight into just how hard it is to score really low over 18 holes .. by yourself! .. in this game!!!

• Like 5

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

45-38, the driver has been put in timeout for a little bit. He has the pull hooks and is getting benched. No drivers on the back nine and hit All but 1 fairway. Hit driver 2 times on the front and it cost me 4 strokes

• Like 5

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Tied my all-time best score at my course today.  Shot +1 on the front and even par on the back for a 73.  I shot 73 once last year.  The Ping Sigma G Doon has really been working.  I love this putter!!

I chipped in for birdie on #3, the #1 handicap hole.  I birdied the par 5 #9 hole, then followed it up with birdies on #10 and #11.  I thought I blew the round on the par 5 #18, driving into the fairway bunker short of the dogleg.  Punched out to the corner, then tried to reach the green ending up in the bunker short.  The pin was back, so I had about a 25 yard bunker shot; hit it to 8 feet and made par.

I'm worried about tomorrow.  I've had this feeling before.  When I shoot a really good round, I expect to shoot something similar the next time, and I usually end up disappointed.  

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I had the best day in Golf this year. The tournament turned out to be a 4 man-scramble. My team consists of 3 90s shooter and I. We shot -4.

I've never done a 4 scramble before, it was a hoot. After 3 holes we had a solid plan. Although from the look of it, we didn't win anything but we were a foot shy of closest to the pin and 15 yard short of longest drive.

My job split between playing it safe or go for it. For the first time I actually felt comfortable and thrived under pressure. I sank many key putts or put the ball in play through out which elevated the rest of the team's spirit and boosted their performance. They stepped up when I missed and kept the ball in play.

Love the involuntary fist pump after sinking the clutch putts the last few holes. That was awesome.

I will do this again in a heartbeat.

• Like 5

I find that most of the time the guys that shoot 90's typically lack distance, and usually slice the ball out of play, so most of their shots while shooting 90's are from the tee, and from hitting it out of play, when playing in a scramble, they likely get to play with clubs they never get to play, therefore they hit better shots, like instead of having to hit driver 3 wood wedge to reach a longer par 5, you hit a good drive and they get to use 6 or 7 iron. And since most times in this format you putt for birdie vs chipping, they make some putts too, they can usually putt ok, but struggle chipping it close, so even though you have high hcp players you can actually score pretty well with them, as long as you strike the ball well and give them a chance with different clubs than they may be used to.

• Like 5

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I find that most of the time the guys that shoot 90's typically lack distance, and usually slice the ball out of play, so most of their shots while shooting 90's are from the tee, and from hitting it out of play, when playing in a scramble, they likely get to play with clubs they never get to play, therefore they hit better shots, like instead of having to hit driver 3 wood wedge to reach a longer par 5, you hit a good drive and they get to use 6 or 7 iron. And since most times in this format you putt for birdie vs chipping, they make some putts too, they can usually putt ok, but struggle chipping it close, so even though you have high hcp players you can actually score pretty well with them, as long as you strike the ball well and give them a chance with different clubs than they may be used to.

Yep exactly. After a few holes I started my cheerleading routine and pumped them up by reassuring them after shots on the fairways or greens. When it's on the green I'd say that's a guarantee par so we have a free run at birdies.

I also found that they are often hard on themselves, it's ok to hit bad shots once on a while. Even good shots they didn't react happily, I cheered on. Bad shots, who cares. Good shots hoo ray!

• Like 2

Had a game of contrasts today, 44 for the front 9 with an 8 on the par 5 seventh. Was hitting the ball well but getting no result for it. Got lucky on 9 and kicked out of the trees. Just missed the birdie putt but felt that things were about to change. Next nine holes went birdie, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, par, bogey, par, bogey for a back nine of 34 and a total of 78 on a par 73 course. Walked off the course very happy indeed.

• Like 6

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King Forged Tec (2016) - LH - 4-PW - KBS C-Taper light Reg
Wedges: :cleveland-small:     RTX Zipcore - LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Barbados Island
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I just want to vent , last Saturday I put 3 in the water on a par 3. Drained a 15 footer to save my 9..... that is all

• Like 5

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I just want to vent , last Saturday I put 3 in the water on a par 3. Drained a 15 footer to save my 9..... that is all

Well.......nice putt⛳️

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Well.......nice putt⛳️

thanks, I needed that!

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

thanks, I needed that!

If I was present at that hole that's more than likely all I would have said[emoji41]

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Hit the ball fairly well today. Had a few nervous thoughts in my head on the back but bounced back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Played Riverdale Dunes with txgolfjunkie today. Despite making miles of putts and 6 birdies, my (-2) was only good enough for second place.

• Like 5

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Tied my all-time best score at my course today.  Shot +1 on the front and even par on the back for a 73.  I shot 73 once last year.  The Ping Sigma G Doon has really been working.  I love this putter!!

I chipped in for birdie on #3, the #1 handicap hole.  I birdied the par 5 #9 hole, then followed it up with birdies on #10 and #11.  I thought I blew the round on the par 5 #18, driving into the fairway bunker short of the dogleg.  Punched out to the corner, then tried to reach the green ending up in the bunker short.  The pin was back, so I had about a 25 yard bunker shot; hit it to 8 feet and made par.

I'm worried about tomorrow.  I've had this feeling before.  When I shoot a really good round, I expect to shoot something similar the next time, and I usually end up disappointed.  

Well, they say on the PGA Tour that it's hard to followup a great round with another great round.  I can tell you that it's hard as an amateur as well.  Shot an 83 with one birdie and a bunch of bogeys.  Fortunately, I was able to beat my wife's 85.

I just couldn't get the driver working well today; straight but not my usual distance.  That might have had something to do with the course setup.  All of the tees were at the back of the teeing ground, so the holes were playing as long as they can make them from the Blues today.  There were also a bunch of Blue flags.  The course was setup difficult for the final day of the Men's Club closing 2-man scramble.  My long game is stressed enough without adding extra distance.  Also, putts just didn't drop; kept coming up short.  It seemed the greens were a little slower than yesterday.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played in a best ball for a company I deal with 3 guys that golf one to two times a year.

Had a great time, we come in with a 78 score.

Right in the middle of the pack.

• Like 4

:ping-small:  Driver G425 Max 9*
:ping-small:   3 wood G425 Max

:taylormade-small: SIM2  4i / PW graphite 

:callaway-small: MD 5 50* 54* 58*                          

:taylormade-small: FCG SB 

:taylormade-small: TP5 2021

Went 40-37. 77 today ... not bad, not great, the ball is going no where right now, it's so wet.

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Played a fun Par 3; most holes are from about 105 up to about 150 and are scaled down replicas of Par 3s from famous courses, eg. the 150 yd hole mimics Augusta #12.

It's good short game and approach shot practice plus on this day there was a strong and steady wind blowing left-to-right going out and then from right-to-left coming back. Only #1 was downwind and only #2 was into the wind .. and, those were two holes where I hit the middle of the green with the tee shot and made both two putts for pars.

#3 - the Augusta #12 - hit what would have been long-left in no wind only to have the ball end up short-right (hey but dry!). Left the chip up short and two putted ..bogey.

#4 similar tee shot and ball held its line but landed short and rolled back down a steep bank into a bunker. 2 chips to get on :( and 3 putts to get down :( .. triple.

Got back on track after that and made bogies or pars, plus one very unlikely birdie -- I played a second ball after watching the first tee shot get pushed hard downwind into a bunker; kept that second shot nice and low and straight on-line .. and .. directly into a smaller, deeper bunker on the other side! Well.. that second bunker shot somehow popped out, hit the fringe and rolled out and .. right into the cup! Plz don't ask me how.

(Ended with a Double on the first ball...)

Tee shot after that hole was 140 uphill with the wind from the left and played it long-left again and hit the front middle of the green (yea) .. but didn't putt it right so 3-putted (boo) .. bogey.

Last hole is like that TPC Stadium "Island Hole" .. with wind now from the right .. and tee shot was right on-line but fell inches short .. splash... Second tee looked like a copy of the first but caught the fringe this time. Left the chip up short again, and two putts .. so (ugh) triple.

But overall happy with the generally increasing quality and consistency of my tee shots and also with .. mostly .. keeping the ball in play in a strong crosswind.

• Like 6

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator