MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

Played okay today. Saw a break in the rain this morning on radar so went out to a local course and got on as a single. No one in sight until hole 17. Light PNW drizzle but beautiful weather! I had a free round and utilized it along with a cart. Good thing is that it's been relatively dry so they 90° rule was in effect. Got 18 holes done in about 2 hours 15 minutes.

I ended up shooting a 91. Hole 18 has an island green and I dunked my tee shot otherwise I was on track to break 90. I finally have consistency with my F6 Driver. I've been averaging about 280 yards per drive lately and they've stayed straight!

Picture attached is of hole 17. attachicon.gifIMG_0308.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Echo Falls? Man, I haven't played there in about three years!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Echo Falls? Man, I haven't played there in about three years!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yup! Finally took advantage of my Oki Card and played my free round. I like the course, it's a little shorter than some others but it's never crowded unlike Willows.

• Like 1

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I couldn't have played any worse tonight. Actually yes I could have, but it was bad enough for me. I struggled hitting anything. This is how it ended. Par 5 9th hole. Finally striped a drive, I had 155 to the pin, need 160 to be good. No problem, good 8 iron. So I hit 8 iron, left into the bunker. One problem, I was 30 yards left, and I was in the bunker on the 18th hole. No problem, 30 yard bunker shot, came out perfectly clean, carried the 9th green, and rolled across the 1st tee box, and over into the pine straw on number 7 tee box. I then hit out of the pine straw no where and rolled it onto the 1st tee box. Then hit it to the 9th green area. We were in a game, and we were counting 3 balls out of 4, and the 3 guys in my group already made 2 pars and a birdie. So in case you were counting, I managed to play 5 shots from 4 different holes. How often does that happen. I am in the record books.

And that my friends, is how my golf night went.

• Like 9

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Played last weekend and played almost the same on the first 9 each time. Back 9 was two different rounds. Had a string of birdies for a 5 over 40 on day one and put up a 50 on Sunday. Just could not get anything going on the second nine the second day. Both days I struggled chipping, but the second had a few shots that looked good end up in bunkers or end up just slightly off. I mostly escaped trouble Saturday, Sunday I was in trouble all day.

• Like 5

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I couldn't have played any worse tonight. Actually yes I could have, but it was bad enough for me. I struggled hitting anything. This is how it ended. Par 5 9th hole. Finally striped a drive, I had 155 to the pin, need 160 to be good. No problem, good 8 iron. So I hit 8 iron, left into the bunker. One problem, I was 30 yards left, and I was in the bunker on the 18th hole. No problem, 30 yard bunker shot, came out perfectly clean, carried the 9th green, and rolled across the 1st tee box, and over into the pine straw on number 7 tee box. I then hit out of the pine straw no where and rolled it onto the 1st tee box. Then hit it to the 9th green area. We were in a game, and we were counting 3 balls out of 4, and the 3 guys in my group already made 2 pars and a birdie. So in case you were counting, I managed to play 5 shots from 4 different holes. How often does that happen. I am in the record books.

And that my friends, is how my golf night went.

And your ready to head back out and bang that ball around some more

That's the way it is!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Beautiful day today, but we had some T-storm cells pass through now and then.  My wife and I played nine holes after she got off work.  I did yard work all morning and I was a little sore, but I parred the first 5 holes.  Then the wheels came off!!  Finished the last 4 holes in classic Phil style:  

double bogey

bogey

double bogey

double bogey.

Not sure why.

• Like 4

Aging sucks...  Are you tough enough to get old?

Played my Monday night league match yesterday as the guy I was playing is going to be gone. Hit the driver EXTREMELY well (except for my tee shot on 9....lack of focus) and made some putts. Wedges were suspect. Had 3 birdies. Hit 3 fairways (we've got super small fairways at the course) and 6 greens. 12 putts. Double bogeyed the last hole for an even par 36. I'll take it. 

Should get me 8 of 11 points for the match. 

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

... Played Prairie Bluff with my 27 yr old son yesterday in his second serious season of playing golf and his goal for 2018 is breaking 90. He started off par-par-bogie-birdie before blowing up on an easy par 4 with a 7 but finished the front with a 42. I finished at -2 and was looking for a low round, hopefully in the 60's but the wind really picked up on the back and the temp dropped 10*  and I ended up +2 on the back and Bryan struggled in with a 49. He has shot 91 about 10 times and 90 twice.

... I have a feeling if the weather would have stayed the same, yesterday would have been the day he broke 90 but he still makes too many beginner mistakes, especially in windy conditions. Maybe the biggest mistake I see higher index players make is jut trying a shot that is too difficult for their skill level. Sitting in the rough 10yds off the green to a short sided pin, the play is get it on the green and maybe make a 15-25 footer for par or more likely lag it close for your bogie. I see too many higher index players try and get it close, leaving it in the rough or blading it over the green. I am always reminded of Davis Love II that told DLIII "never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Follow a bad shot with a good shot and save par or make bogie, not a double or triple". 

• Like 8

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 17* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 2 iron ... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys 
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Played this morning not sure what I scored. Somewhere under 100! Gave up keeping track as nothing worked. Beautiful weather , fareway s OK, greens beautiful, light breeze , good playing partners, just stunk it up . Lost 4-5 balls and I don't lose many. Maybe lose a ball every 4 rounds.

Oh well there's always next time, shake it off.

Weird game this golf. Played with “Bacon Boys” this morning and everything was working. Irons especially good, putting right on. Can't figure it out sometimes.

• Like 6

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

... Played Prairie Bluff with my 27 yr old son yesterday in his second serious season of playing golf and his goal for 2018 is breaking 90. He started off par-par-bogie-birdie before blowing up on an easy par 4 with a 7 but finished the front with a 42. I finished at -2 and was looking for a low round, hopefully in the 60's but the wind really picked up on the back and the temp dropped 10*  and I ended up +2 on the back and Bryan struggled in with a 49. He has shot 91 about 10 times and 90 twice.

... I have a feeling if the weather would have stayed the same, yesterday would have been the day he broke 90 but he still makes too many beginner mistakes, especially in windy conditions. Maybe the biggest mistake I see higher index players make is jut trying a shot that is too difficult for their skill level. Sitting in the rough 10yds off the green to a short sided pin, the play is get it on the green and maybe make a 15-25 footer for par or more likely lag it close for your bogie. I see too many higher index players try and get it close, leaving it in the rough or blading it over the green. I am always reminded of Davis Love II that told DLIII "never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Follow a bad shot with a good shot and save par or make bogie, not a double or triple". 

Exactly!  It's all about eliminating the big numbers.  Breaking 90 is just making bogeys.  Throw in a few pars and maybe a birdie, and even a double bogey won't kill you.  Just don't have a bunch of them!  Take your medicine, get on the green, make your putts and move on to the next hole.  

I remember playing in a pro-am 20+ years ago when I struggled to break 90.  We had a big wind storm the night before and it was still pretty windy when we teed off.  I couldn't keep any woods in the fairway even on a calm day, so I played 5i, 5i, 9i (or whatever into the green) for par 5's and similar for par 4's.  Kept the ball in play; didn't get into a lot of trouble.  Shot under 90 and placed second in my flight because everyone else was hitting driver.  After breaking 90, confidence builds and it's easy next time.

• Like 6

... Good stuff Kenny. I had a similar experience about 10 years ago playing my best friend in Asheville NC. He was really struggling and getting frustrated and not having any fun. So I bet him I could beat him on the back 9 using only my 5 iron while giving him a stroke a hole. It was a real learning experience as I found myself with manageable yardage on almost every hole. Par 5's were almost perfect for three 5 irons. Par 4's were the same although I had to play a few knockdowns and the same for the par 3's. I shot 4 over on the front with all my clubs and 2 over on the back with only a 5 iron. 

... That is when I started paying much more attention to course management and not just pulling driver on every par 4/5. I have used a 5 iron on par 5 tricky tee shots where I am not going to have a chance to get there in two because of length or hole design. Same with some par 4's where a 5 iron leaves me 80-100 yds in.  And of course 4 iron or DI on a tight hole instead of driver. 

• Like 8

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 17* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 2 iron ... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys 
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Bobby Grace 6330 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Yesterday was a perfect day to play here.  I had a most unusual round since I usually drive the ball pretty well.  To get the game right, I moved back to the blue tees (70.2/133).  As usual, when I move back, the first three drives are terrible from trying to hit the ball hard.  So, second hole, my drive skipped twice across a lake to the front tee box, escaped with bogie.  Fifth hole, drove it through the dogleg into woods, second shot hit a tree and went toward 6th tee, pitch got through the trees and made the putt for par.  Seven, hit a tree right found the ball behind a tree on the left in roots, popped it out, hit the green from 165, made putt for par.  Eighth hole, hit in trees right off the tee, only able to see the front of the green, pitched it on, two putted from 50 feet for par.  Nine, skipped it across water again!  Eleven, hit through fairway, hooked it around trees to tough pin and made the birdie putt.  Made par on 15 from roots behind a tree right.  At the end of the day, I had a solid 79 (42,37) after being in trouble off the tee all day.   Strangest day I can ever remember.  I do prefer playing from the fairway, maybe tomorrow...

• Like 7

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

Today was on okay round on a course I never played before. It was a pretty short course and it will be a pretty good course to work on my Hogan review. Hit some clubs better than others 6i and 7i were on fire but my putter and A wedge sucked big time.

Three putted most of the holes and the wedge was all over but all shorter than normal. I was hit or miss with my 3w.

I swang smooth and didn't force anything. Shallow divots on most and no chunk shots. The new swing feels good and I'm not digging to China anymore.

If I could have putted better I would have shot a personal best. Below is my 7i 20180511_174422.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 7

6 over after 5. Walk of shame back to box on #2. Pulled my head out and started making putts and catching a few breaks for an 81. The last two weeks have been tough off the tee on 4s and 5s. Finding every tree branch, divit, and bad lie possibl. Even played a sucessful cut shot around a tree to about 156. Came up a club short but if I didnt try I wouldve had to punch out or play way left over water. Good day aftet posting some high numbers.

• Like 4

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Today was on okay round on a course I never played before. It was a pretty short course and it will be a pretty good course to work on my Hogan review. Hit some clubs better than others 6i and 7i were on fire but my putter and A wedge sucked big time.

Three putted most of the holes and the wedge was all over but all shorter than normal. I was hit or miss with my 3w.

I swang smooth and didn't force anything. Shallow divots on most and no chunk shots. The new swing feels good and I'm not digging to China anymore.

If I could have putted better I would have shot a personal best. Below is my 7i attachicon.gif20180511_174422.jpg

Looks good!  OK, got to get rid of those 3-putts!!!

• Like 1

Yesterday was a perfect day to play here.  I had a most unusual round since I usually drive the ball pretty well.  To get the game right, I moved back to the blue tees (70.2/133).  As usual, when I move back, the first three drives are terrible from trying to hit the ball hard.  So, second hole, my drive skipped twice across a lake to the front tee box, escaped with bogie.  Fifth hole, drove it through the dogleg into woods, second shot hit a tree and went toward 6th tee, pitch got through the trees and made the putt for par.  Seven, hit a tree right found the ball behind a tree on the left in roots, popped it out, hit the green from 165, made putt for par.  Eighth hole, hit in trees right off the tee, only able to see the front of the green, pitched it on, two putted from 50 feet for par.  Nine, skipped it across water again!  Eleven, hit through fairway, hooked it around trees to tough pin and made the birdie putt.  Made par on 15 from roots behind a tree right.  At the end of the day, I had a solid 79 (42,37) after being in trouble off the tee all day.   Strangest day I can ever remember.  I do prefer playing from the fairway, maybe tomorrow...

I think you just mentioned more trees than I have on my entire course!!!

• Like 2

Played awful today, only three pars. Couldn't hit an iron to save myself and my brain was just scrambled. Oh well there's always next time.

• Like 4

CobraConnectChallenge3

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:     :rife-putters-1: - LH - Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :srixon-small: Zstar

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Weird round today. Tough conditions, 20-25mph wind from the south, worst direction for my course. A few showers blowing through to keep it interesting.

Tee to green was as long as I've ever seen the course set up. Playing off the back markers, only 2 pins were in the front half, most were only a few yards from the back edge.

Started with a birdie, only put I made all day. We had 1 1/2 inches of rain over the last 3 days and the greens were a touch slower than they looked and I couldn't adjust. Off the tee it was either great or awful, with nothing in between. Irons were ok, was really solid from 100 yards in, hit more good 50-70 yard shots than normal.

Highlight was a par after hitting my drive into the water hazard on a 440 yard par 4, luckily it was playable, a couple of feet worse would have been a lot worse. Lowlight was several birdie putts inside 15 feet left short.

Ended up with 8 over, probably the best score I could have had with how I played.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

On this thread, I'm a first time writer, long time reader. Finally, have a good story to tell.

Played a round a few weeks ago on nice Jack Nicklaus design called Aston Oaks. By all means I'm a high handicapper but I have my days. Anyways, there's an hour frost delay and we are asked to play the back nine 1st. Well, I shot a good for me 44. I'm riding high and my sometimes playing partners who like to gamble are not exciting I'm winning. So, we go to the front and holes 1, 2 and 3 I shoot a 9, 9 and 7. Yes, my friends a 25 in the first 3 holes. I did mange to score a 31 on the last 6 holes which is bogey golf, but I ended with a 100 and even money on the gambling. Still proud of my 44. It's not an easy course.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Looks good! OK, got to get rid of those 3-putts!!!

Kenny I normally don't three putt that much, EVER!. I think knowing that I bought an Evnroll and that it's on the way maybe had something to do with it. I'm not sure if this is one of the reasons I couldn't hit my 50* wedge too since I know I have a new Hogan on the way. I wasn't even thinking about it or at least trying to anyway.

• Like 2