MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Played in the rain today, 41/39. Hit a lot of really clean shots, and some not so good.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Played in the rain today, 41/39. Hit a lot of really clean shots, and some not so good.

Perfect weather for you! Hope you were well protected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Perfect weather for you! Hope you were well protected. 

Unfortunately I was in my old non- breathing gear- I think it was wetter inside the jacket than outside. Two more storms coming next week...

On 2/27/2019 at 10:26 PM, Sluggo42 said:

What a difference a day makes, shot really well today. Figured out the p790’s like a more upright swing. Seriously long and soaring irons today. Lots of fun.

Well, it was quite accommodating of you to change your swing to make your irons happy..... 😆😆😆

Well..... After boasting about my new 9-hole PB (on a short course), I naturally followed that up on a regulation 9 with a very messy 49. Which felt like a lot more - I topped a number of tee shots, duffed a bunch of follow on shots and blundered through several 3 putts.... 

Clearly did not meet my goals of hitting fairways and avoiding 3 putts!!

Next 9 hole round, on another new course, started off badly but on the Par 3 #3 I landed it pin high left but just off the green .. and managed a nice up and down for a par .. yea! After that I settled in and started landing on fairways and keeping the ball moving in the proper direction. Several bogies, one double after a tee shot went OB, one par and then a birdie on the last hole - which turned out to be the #1 handicap hole! Go figure.....

On the last day of our trip (South Texas, near S Padre Island) we played 18 and this time I started off really well .. +3 on the first 6 holes with .. an almost par (second putt hung on the edge), par, bogey, par, par with a 1 putt, bogey with a 3 putt (after hitting the Par 3 green).

Then the wheels came off and I stumbled through a major blow-up hole - water carry on the tee shot and then again on the approach. Not sure what I did but I seemed to completely lose the ability to connect clubhead to ball....

Took a few holes to get the rhythm going again, and finished up ok with a string of bogeys.

All in all I'm actually happy with the progress I'm making with my game. Especially the short game - when it's working it's getting pretty good. Yeah still a lotta work to do on full shots but with more lessons lined up and more practice time I really feel like I'm moving closer to playing sub-90s golf.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Well, it was quite accommodating of you to change your swing to make your irons happy..... 😆😆😆

I have many swings, unfortunately... I definitely wish I could just have one good one, instead of 5 different gashes. But some days my body and brain refuse to sync up, so I go with working that day...😞

• Like 2

First official round of the year for our league and my first round in while.
Posted a 88 under cold winter conditions. It was good to be back out on the course.
Highlight was the opening hole. Par 5 that I birdied.
Winter will be back tomorrow. Can't wait for the temp to warm up stop raining every other day lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Shot a 42/44:86 with one birdie today. Gamed my Wilson Triton Driver, Cobra F8 set to 4W, Cobra F8 3H, Hogan PTx Irons 4-LW & Ping Ketsch putter. Also gamed one of my Kentucky bags as i5 was UK v Tenn basketball today. Unfortunately Tennessee prevailed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Scored my first post surgery round. Reasonably satisfied wven though I played the reds. Cant really hit long irons yet so no point of playing back quite yet. Just not a whole lot of hand strength to generate club speed quite yet. 

Shot 43 after doubles on 8 and 9. Missed a couple short par putts but not a surprise considering Im pretty rusty. Really a good round to be honest post hand surgeries....all good from here on out. 

Hovering mid 40s wirh an easterly wind gusting to 20 or so. 

• Like 4

Shot a 42/44:86 with one birdie today. Gamed my Wilson Triton Driver, Cobra F8 set to 4W, Cobra F8 3H, Hogan PTx Irons 4-LW & Ping Ketsch putter. Also gamed one of my Kentucky bags as i5 was UK v Tenn basketball today. Unfortunately Tennessee prevailed.

Go Big
Lol

Tazz

42/41 at Mesa Del Sol yesterday. Pretty stiff winds and they were coming from opposite of normal.  This made two par 5's reachable in two that normally are not. With a good round in progress, I normally would have taken my usual conservative route (layup), but a couple of us in the group with the distance ability gave them a go. Both are across water protecting the front of the green so, even with the aid of the wind, you need a flush hit.  On the first, I flushed my 3w, but pulled it left into a waste bunker - pin high however.  The second, I hit my 4i and it landed dead center of the green but rolled into a rear bunker.  My takeaway is that being able to reach these in two brings in just enough risk that, odds are, we're better off playing layups as typical.

Do any of you play some holes that are like this - where wind really changes how you play them?

• Like 2

Played the Wilson Triton with Hogan irons again today. Shot a birdieless 40/45:85. I gamed the Cleveland HB Soft putter.

Not bad for clubs that have not been used in a year.

• Like 3

40/43 at Las Barancas. Missed a 2 foot birdie and made a 30 footer... meh, short one's are overrated. 😬 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Had a terrible day!  Putter was mad at me and I wasn't hitting my long irons crisply --- 4 (count them FOUR) double bogeys and a triple!  Ack!!!   Managed to reign in an 85 despite those 5 horrendous holes.  

• Like 2

Didn’t get out today but walked 9 yesterday afternoon.  Shot 37, 2 birdies, 3 bogies, rest pars.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, fozcycle said:

Not bad for clubs that have not been used in a year.

They were well rested!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40/41 at Cocopah GC.  This is a short course, but lined with OB on many holes and demands accuracy off the tee. A couple of us have length to reach a handful of par 4 greens, but in all honesty I think we'd be better off using 3w's and 3i's off the tee.   Being left with a 40-60 yard vs. a 100-120 yard shot really isn't that much an advantage IMO. Fun course with lightning fast greens.

• Like 4

Navy Marine, 39/41 with a completely new set. 3 birds on the front with a double. No good on the back. Best putting round in a while!

• Like 5

On 3/3/2019 at 9:52 AM, fixyurdivot said:

42/41 at Mesa Del Sol yesterday. Pretty stiff winds and they were coming from opposite of normal.  This made two par 5's reachable in two that normally are not. With a good round in progress, I normally would have taken my usual conservative route (layup), but a couple of us in the group with the distance ability gave them a go. Both are across water protecting the front of the green so, even with the aid of the wind, you need a flush hit.  On the first, I flushed my 3w, but pulled it left into a waste bunker - pin high however.  The second, I hit my 4i and it landed dead center of the green but rolled into a rear bunker.  My takeaway is that being able to reach these in two brings in just enough risk that, odds are, we're better off playing layups as typical.

Do any of you play some holes that are like this - where wind really changes how you play them?

Ah Mesa! I lived in Yuma for 3 years and that was one of my go to courses. I used to love the wind at the back par 5's although I almost never went for them in two other than the long one on the back. The one that really is dependent on wind is 11 on the back of Las Barrancas. If the wind is in the face, it's driver short iron times two. Wind at the back and you can go for the elevated green.

• Like 2

Navy Marine, 39/41 with a completely new set. 3 birds on the front with a double. No good on the back. Best putting round in a while!

dj, what are the new sticks?

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).