MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Shot 83 yesterday, by far my best round of the year. I have been hitting it horrible all year but finally put together a decent round(for me). Driver was long and straight for the most part, still struggling with iron consistency but it's a little better.

Snuck out of work early yesterday to play 9 at our local muni course. They just plugged the greans last week and the rest of the course was in pretty tough shape. I still managed to shoot a 41 with 5 pars and a birdie. I figured that was real good considering my lowest round to date is an 87. Probably gonna sneak out early today and play again. The golf bug has bitten

I has a wierd round for me yesterday. I am usually steady Eddie right around par. I shot two over which is pretty normal for me. However on the front I had a 2 doubles and a bogey. Fortunately I birdied 9 (I hit a second shot that landed, released, hit the stick, and finished 6 inches behind the hole. We couldn't figure out how it didn't go in.) So I finished 9 at 4 over. Then I bogeyed 10 which is a par 5. I was livid. Then I had 4 straight birdies. Unfortunately, I also had one more bogey on a long par three. But It was a strange round. I can't remember the last time I made 5 birdies and didn't break par. I know that it sounds like I'm complaining so let me clarify. 4 straight birdies was awesome so that was a great thing. It was worth telling y'all about anyway!:rolleyes:

Shot my lowest round ever today. It was an ugly 37-44 for an 81. The driver was off all day, but I had some really great up-and-downs to save pars. I didn't hit nearly enough greens and with the driver not being quite as good as it has been all month, my 60* and putter really had my back. I left a lot of strokes out there and made mistakes on holes that I really should not have bogied, but I'm feeling very positive about my game right now. I'm close.

Short game cooled off today when I moved back to the back tees. Shot 87 with 36 putts. Argh!

75 shots today; best ball striking day of the season by some margin. Best moment came at the hardest hole (CSS 1) hit an 8 iron out of the rough and lipped out for eagle, 1 inch tap in - my length!

3 birdies at par 4's.

Anyway hit 16 greens, but of course it hides a few truths when you hit it 60 feet from the pin!

Handicap back down to solid 9 - which is nice.

scorecard.jpg

My game's improved by leaps and bounds this year, mainly because I've been playing a lot. I have something like 20+ rounds under my belt already.

My swing has gotten a lot better, still not there, but today was my best round yet. On holes 1 and 2, I hit perfect drives, then left my approach way off the green, chipped it, and made long putts for the par save. JBones gave me one of the best tips I've had so far, to hit every shot like a 100 yard wedge, and it's done wonders to both my power and accuracy. I'm getting shots more regularly where I barely feel the ball fly off the face and feel the ground after the ball is in the air.

I somehow hit only 3 greens in regulation (holes 5 and 9), but my putter worked wonders besides hole 3. My only real blip was #8, where I hit my tee shot into the bunker, then pured it out of the sand to the other side of the green, then overshot my chip, and finally two putted. Bleh.

Was a great round, I just need to do that over 18 holes :D

Played on Wednesday morning with my neighbor from across the street. He knows I'm a golf nut and his dad sent him some clubs so he wanted to give it a try. He wanted to play, not go to the range or learn anything so I took him out when it was totally dead out there. I was amazed. The guy made solid contact on his first swing although it sliced pretty bad. I squared away his grip, got his shoulders aligned more square and talked some about making solid contact from the inside. I told him what clubs to hit and talked him through how to chip. He only wiffed like three times and we only picked his ball up three times. He is a pretty natural athlete and the golf bug bit him hard. He already wants to play again tomorrow. Oh, we also walked and it was 90 by the time we finished.

I shot 72. I was 2 under with no bogeys through 7 then I went double, and bogey and then I pared every hole on the back.

Played 9 again today with my father inlaw and brother inlaw scores were bad but I think I am finally getting the new driver worked out 3 for six were in the fairway or first cut the others were in a fairway just not the right one. Best drive if the yardage markers are to be believe was nearly 260. The only bad part of the round was realing my angle on 9 and falling on my face but the inlaws got a good laugh.

Played a quick 18 on Saturday morning and ended with a two over 73.........17 pars and a stupid double on an easy hole. Missed my line off the tee with a three wood and flew the fairway to a terrible lie, took my medicine and then hit lob wedge over the green. To make it worse I then proceeded to miss the two footer I had for bogey. The other 17 holes went just fine.

Yesterday I won my second comp of the year and got cut a little bit; which is great......but

Birdied 7, 8 and 9 - to go to 2 under. Was level stood in the middle of the 15th fairway and caught a huge nosebleed (metaphorically) ended up dropping 6 in the last 4 holes. Made some poor decisions and then backed those up with more poor decisions. Can only put it down to nerves.

So yep playing well - hit first 12 greens in reg and in total hit 14 green out of 18. Chipping and putting feels better but the thing between my ears is letting me down a bit.

Anyone got any tips for finishing it off?

Played like a fool yesterday. A course I've broken 90 on before, I was lucky I broke 100.

I couldn't putt to save my life, which is weird since I average 1.84 putts per round. I was lifting on a lot of shots, so tops were the flavour of the day.

On the plus side, I've been test driving my playing partners i15 driver with the Ping TFC regular shaft in it and have been hitting that well, so he swapped it for my G5 driver which he likes.

Matt

So I typed the response in another thread where on Friday we were talking about swing speed but decided it belonged here instead. But on Friday on the Swing Speed thread I talked about how tempo and the seemingly slower speed actually made my swing speed increase and the ball go much much farther. So on Saturday morning, I warm up on the range thinking about the tempo speed down and swing speed up and just crushed the ball. Instead of a 265 yard average with an occasional one getting out there to 300 (total yardage with roll, never have I claimed to hit one 300 or even 265 in the air.) First drive was 295 right down the middle. Two drives way over 300 and one of those 333 because I tracked the distance with my Neo X watch. I was also a club longer with my irons.

Usually, I am using one more club than the rest of the guys in my group. Not off the tee with the driver but off the tee with irons. Normally, my 265 off the tee may not be the longest but it is not embarrassingly. I am at least the second longest, but a 295 yard average put me 20 yards from the closest guy. And one time I was 100 yards from the closest. But all of a sudden, I was hitting the same number club as them but a bit farther. This is huge because I play Mizunos with lower lofts and shorter shafts than the TMag and Pings and Callaways they play. Unfortunately, I was also a bit longer with my partial shots.:angry:

Same story with Sunday, but the wind was blowing pretty strong and after missing two fairways and just not comfortable that I could control the driver into the wind I pulled out the 2 iron on the Par 5 third hole. Mizzy MP FLI HI (2010) with a KBS Hybrid Shaft. I hit this 245 yards into the wind on the third hole and was dead center of the fairway. I had decided I was not going to reach in two anyway so nice smooth swing. There were four others in my group and I was the longest off the tee and the only one in the fairway. Next shot was a 3 iron and was in a perfect place to pitch it to the hole. I birdied the hole with a 2 and 3 iron and there was one par, a bogey and two doubles on the hole and they were hitting driver, 3 woods.

Same story with the next par 5 into the wind, I had the longest drive and had used a 2 iron. I hit 2 iron again and was just short of the green. Scoring was similar, except I missed my birdie putt. So all day long, into the wind I hit 2 iron and with the wind I hit driver. I was asked why I was not hitting the driver on every hole as well as I am hitting it. I just smiled and said "This hole is only 495 yards into a 18 mph wind, I do not think I need to hit the driver."

I played pretty well all weekend. I hit every club longer than I have ever hit them in the past. And a lot of great shots, however, the greens were so firm and fast, and while I made some excellent putts. I remember on one hole where I had the perfect lie, at the perfect distance and made the perfect swing the ball lands about 3 feet from the pin and hops and stops, and then the wind or something happens and it starts to wander around like it is drunk and by the time I get there I have a 12'er with about 10 inches of break and have to go over a ridge. I left the birdie putt going straight in the hole and it stops an inch from the lip. Another guy had a putt on the same line but 8 foot, and misses the cup and it rolls another 8 feet past the hole.

Yesterday I won my second comp of the year and got cut a little bit; which is great......but

Birdied 7, 8 and 9 - to go to 2 under. Was level stood in the middle of the 15th fairway and caught a huge nosebleed (metaphorically) ended up dropping 6 in the last 4 holes. Made some poor decisions and then backed those up with more poor decisions. Can only put it down to nerves.

So yep playing well - hit first 12 greens in reg and in total hit 14 green out of 18. Chipping and putting feels better but the thing between my ears is letting me down a bit.

Anyone got any tips for finishing it off?

Don't over think the shots and stay in your comfort zone. When I first starting playing in college I struggled a bit with nerves and to overcome that I tried to just hit shots naturally and stay in my comfort zone. If I hit a bad shot I would focus on the recovery and not the poor shot and the main thing is just stay confident. I stopped playing competitively for a few years after college and when I got back into it I started to get the same nerves. At the end of the day I just put everything into perspective.......if I shot 90 in the club championship my wife was still going to be there when I got home, my kids could care less what I shot and life would move on. Once I stopped putting so much pressure on myself and gained some confidence the nerves went away and I was able to finish the round as strong as I started it.

It's so easy to tell someone what to do - stay in the moment, one shot at a time, don't change your routine, blah da blah da blah da -

In the end though you just have to do it - follow that advice and play one shot at a time - I think you learn that by experiencing the nose bleeds.

Good luck

It's so easy to tell someone what to do - stay in the moment, one shot at a time, don't change your routine, blah da blah da blah da -

In the end though you just have to do it - follow that advice and play one shot at a time - I think you learn that by experiencing the nose bleeds.

Good luck

Could not agree more. I experienced my share of meltdowns before I changed my mindset and it helped me to understand what the triggers were for a meltdown. I had a qualifier for my club championship that playing off of scratch I should have had no issue getting into. Played the first five holes in even par and the made a quad and three doubles to shoot 46 on the front nine......had a nice talk with myself and then went out and shot 30 on the back to take the #4 spot in the tournament and assure myself an easier road into match play. On the other hand I have also had events where I replicated my front and back 9s to shoot some really big numbers and left embarrassed. Nothing worse than someone telling you that you have a "vanity handicap".

Could not agree more. I experienced my share of meltdowns before I changed my mindset and it helped me to understand what the triggers were for a meltdown. I had a qualifier for my club championship that playing off of scratch I should have had no issue getting into. Played the first five holes in even par and the made a quad and three doubles to shoot 46 on the front nine......had a nice talk with myself and then went out and shot 30 on the back to take the #4 spot in the tournament and assure myself an easier road into match play. On the other hand I have also had events where I replicated my front and back 9s to shoot some really big numbers and left embarrassed. Nothing worse than someone telling you that you have a "vanity handicap".

To go off on a new tangent, I love the term "Vanity Handicap".

It is so irritating that when I tell someone I'm a 3 handicap, they expect me to shoot 74-76 every time. That is what I'm CAPABLE of shooting..... This isn't bowling.....

Yep to that last comment - handicaps should be achieved about 25 percent of the time. They measure potential - Its hard to play to your potential in a tournament unless you play lots of tournaments because they're different.

I love playing in tournaments - I've had just enough success to make me want to do it again and there is nothing like stretching and testing oneself.

I've also had my share of nose bleeds. Lots of nose bleeds.

Shot 81 with 5 penalty strokes, all were from wayward tee shots. Took 4 unplayable, and had to re-tee on the 1 hcp hole, I managed to only double 1 of the holes. And on the difficult 7 hole, I killed the second drive, then put it 35 feet, and made a downhill left to right lucky one for a 5. All in all it wasn't a horrible round, but 5 lost shots killed me, especially Since I made 3 birdies. Chipped in on 9 and then holed out from the bunker on 12. That's golf for ya, just need to get it all working together in the same round.