MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

1 minute ago, fozcycle said:

Same thing happened to me on Saturday.....the pin was leaning slightly forward and I had a 2 footer uphill for par. I hit the pin and it bounced back and stopped within 1” of the hole. Had it gone in, I would have shot a 79.....Bummer!

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Here in Yuma with our groups, you would have shot a 79.  If the consensus is that the pin was at fault, no loss of stroke. 😃👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Here in Yuma with our groups, you would have shot a 79.  If the consensus is that the pin was at fault, no loss of stroke. 😃👍

generous group 🤔

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Same thing happened to me on Saturday.....the pin was leaning slightly forward and I had a 2 footer uphill for par. I hit the pin and it bounced back and stopped within 1” of the hole. Had it gone in, I would have shot a 79.....Bummer!

... Wow, that really is a bummer. 79 would have been sweet. 👍 I remove the flag if there is any doubt about it leaning or when the flag shadow interferes with my line. In about 80 rounds I have played here in Phoenix I have only seen the flag effect 4 shots out of approx 10,000  putts. 2 were traveling a little too fast but hit dead center and dropped, hard to say if either would have dropped without the pin but I think most likely not. One was moving way too fast and hit dead center but bounced back about 6 inches. The other was also moving too fast and hit the side of the pin and bounced off. Both players swore the pin cost them a stroke but clearly both were traveling too fast to have been holed with the flag out. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 6

On 3/23/2019 at 5:38 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

anyone else experienced this kind of slump when you know you can play great one day then like a novice the next?

I don't have to wait a day for that to happen.  It happens in the same round for me 😂😂

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Another day where the score was not a real good example of my ball striking. I shot a 54 for 9 on a course that just opened after the winter snows. Many little twigs and old leaves on and around the greens. And the fairways and rough were like hitting off of a wet sponge. My tee game and approach shots were coming off the club like butter. The rest of the game really showed slot of rust from the long lay off. Took many positives from this round. And ball striking in general was superb 

• Like 7

On 3/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, fixyurdivot said:

🙄

Back to playing ful time after hand surgeries and broken thumb.  Thumb isstil in healing mode but very playable. Stil la bit of scar tisue pain if I play too much.

Started posting bogey +/- a stroke but sligt improvement and posting 2 or 3 better han bogey last few 9s

The good- Chipping has been great as was al I could do for months. Went back to my old ways of getting ball on turf as quick as posible. Had numerous liip outs and 1 chip in. 

Puttung not great. At least one 3 putt per 9 if not 2.

Irons have been good with shorts irons especially good. Accuracy better each round and distances are getting more consistent as my hands get stronger and normal clubbing is almost back. 

Tee box has been horrendous. Costing me strokes every round. Pathetic!  

Just need  reps.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Good nine, bad nine today....40/46:86 with two birdies, Par 3 and Par 5.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, fozcycle said:

Good nine, bad nine today....40/46:86 

hate it when that happens ... worse is the dreaded 10 stroke difference between 9s  😣

• Like 2

I have been reading posts about some good golf happening in shaking off winter. But I want to vent about a super frustrating round. I did finish but felt like the course and I had a fight. I set a new record for me with the most lost balls in one round. It felt like I conquered the course into submission when I finished with a found ball still left in my possession. My penalties included 4 in the water and 4 OB that couldn't be found, plus my 8 sand shots felt like cruel jokes. Ended up laughing at myself much of the time while my playing partners watched in disbelief commenting that you couldn't make up a round like that. Came back with a round yesterday (2 days later) that still included 3 lost water balls but knocked 10 strokes off my score. It was a lot more fun.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

@artful_golfer I don't know whether I should like your post or be sad. Sounds like my last 3 rounds.

• Like 5

Good nine, bad nine today....40/46:86 with two birdies, Par 3 and Par 5.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That sounds like my entire 2018!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

I have been reading posts about some good golf happening in shaking off winter. But I want to vent about a super frustrating round. I did finish but felt like the course and I had a fight. I set a new record for me with the most lost balls in one round. It felt like I conquered the course into submission when I finished with a found ball still left in my possession. My penalties included 4 in the water and 4 OB that couldn't be found, plus my 8 sand shots felt like cruel jokes. Ended up laughing at myself much of the time while my playing partners watched in disbelief commenting that you couldn't make up a round like that. Came back with a round yesterday (2 days later) that still included 3 lost water balls but knocked 10 strokes off my score. It was a lot more fun.

... I accomplished this in just one hole. #9 at Aguila plays uphill off the tee unless you hit a big drive to the top of the hill. A huge drive can clear the top or even catch the downslope on the other side and roll to the bottom of the hill, something I had yet to do. We had a 10 mph wind at our back and I just caught one dead center hitting a 326yd drive, a good 50yds past normal. Unfortunately the pin was up front with and with that 10mph tail wind and  a hard fairway and green meant I had to land short and hope for a good hop. Lofted a 58* high and landed just short of the green. Instead of a good hop, the ball landed on the side of a sprinkler head and took a hard right bounce over the bunker and into the water. Now I have a pitch over a bunker to a pin tucked close and a hard green with zero chance of stopping the ball. Threw a lob 20 feet past the hole and just missed the putt for a 6. 

... I hit 2 shots just about perfectly, on one of the hardest holes and instead of a legit birdie chance, I walked away with a double bogie. Golf can be very humbling. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3

I was going to click like @chisagbut that seems as cruel as getting a bizarre rub of the green that you got.  But, I did enjoy the story as it just goes to show that no matter how well you play, there are things that you have zero control over.

• Like 4

Was playing pretty solid today at 1 over par through 5 when the storm came in and sent us scrambling for the bar.  Rain and hail, then cleared later, but seems as everyone else had a few too many beers and didn't want to go back out.  The one bogey was a missed short putt (4 foot) that broke harder than I played for.  Pretty pleased with the ball striking today.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Played 27 today. First 9 was wet and shot a horrendous 47. Put the driver away after tee shot on 6 and settled down.  Hit 3w and5w the rest of the wy. 42 then another 42.  Greens were plugged and sanded yesterday so not ideal. 

Looking forward to a round with no.doubles on the card.

I did birdie #1 handicap hole. 3w and 8i to 2 feet.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

First three rounds are in the books.  I only planned on playing twice but went to the gym and found out I left my clothes at home. By then I said eh let me just go play golf.

First round of the year was with sopping wet fairways and 20 mile per hour winds. 2nd round was much nicer weather but still really cool. Both rounds I was hitting 2-3 clubs shorter than usual. The latest round I was back to normal.

Id have to add up the first 2 rounds but shot 98, 97, and 49. The 49 was after starting with two sevens and 3 jacking the par 5 9th. I seemed to have gotten my chipping game together so I should be able to start putting non catastrophic rounds together. My second round I managed two birdies but had two others right after.

• Like 3

On 3/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, JohnSmalls said:

I don't have to wait a day for that to happen.  It happens in the same round for me 😂😂

Ha ha .. same here! Had a round recently that started off great for me .. +3 after 6 holes and then starting on #7 it may as well have been my very first day holding a golf club..... 

• Like 4

Was hoping to play the back nine at my local course since I played the front 9 on Saturday, but there was a foursome on the tee at 10 and they were waiting for a threesome that was on the fairway. Oh well - front 9 take 2.  

Played another solid round, but putting is still giving me issues.  Ready for the conditions to be more up to par, but it will just take some time as the course hasn't been open very long this year.  Played about 15 mph of wind for the 9 and was extremely happy with my ball striking from the fairway and the greens.  I only missed two greens in reg and one was due to a chipout from a bad tee shot with my 2H (got a bit too quick on my swing) and the other because I was heavily into wind and caused the ball to spin back quite a bit and just on the front of the green.  Stats are below.

Round Score - 36 (2 birdies and 2 bogeys)

Fairways - 6/7

Greens - 7/9

Putts - 17 and zero three putts, but also only one 1 putt

Takeaway from the first 2 nines I've played is that I could really use a putting lesson.  Part of it is the condition of the greens, but if you put this 9 together with the one Saturday it comes out to a 73 with 9/14 fairways, 15/18 greens, and 37 putts.  My proximity to hole was actually pretty good for both days and I had about 9 looks at birdie 14 feet and closer and a few of my bogeys came from missed 4-5 footers.

• Like 4