MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

Greens here are still coming out of dormancy.

Edit: not that it matters, I’m 6-10 weeks away from hitting balls.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Since when does grass in Florida go dormant?  😄  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

Counter balanced putters are designed to be long.  You want the end of the putter to extend past your grip to provide the counter balance.

Thanks for the explanation...my putter is cut to 33".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Indeed it did make the trip, but I'd better be mum about it for now...😑

Still snowing up your way???! What a bummer! Been a little unsettled here all week with a few showers and even a thunder-bumper in the late afternoon, but it is starting to feel like spring finally...

Yup.  Our place in the Ruby Valley is at 5200 ft. and we've had snow on the ground for a couple of months now.  Temps here in Yuma are now trying for the 90 mark. We usually head back to MT the first week of April... decisions, decisions. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Counter balanced putters are designed to be long.  You want the end of the putter to extend past your grip to provide the counter balance.

I think that is more of an old school thought on counterbalancing.   Counterbalancing can be achieved with the weights above, even with, or below the hands.  3-4 years ago you would see the 36-36 inch counterbalanced putters, but now must counterbalancing with traditional length shafts.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think that is more of an old school thought on counterbalancing.   Counterbalancing can be achieved with the weights above, even with, or below the hands.  3-4 years ago you would see the 36-36 inch counterbalanced putters, but now must counterbalancing with traditional length shafts.  

Yes, I know that's true.  I was just thinking of the 38 inch Taylor Made Spider blade putter that I have in my collection.  😄 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, GB13 said:

Well, I got out for my first round in about 7 months. It was about 45° and blowing 15mph, so it was cold and the course was really wet. I definitely need to shake the rust off after shooting a 47/43-90 (including 2 penalties for balls lost in snow banks). The good news, I added about 20 yards to all my clubs over the winter, the bad news, just about everything else. I really need to work on the feels around the green with my wedges and putter. I had 36 putts today, which is waaay too high for me. Oh, and I could stop hitting my wedges fat. 

The best story of the day, was on the par 5 6th. After hooking my drive over the creek on the left, hitting a tree with my second, hitting a tree with my third, hitting a tree with my fourth, chunking my fifth, chunking my sixth into a bunker, falling face first into a snow bank in said bunker, I managed a nice up and down for a smooth 8. Spring golf is fun! 

Hey GB, how old ARE you? For some reason, I was thinking around 16 or so?

wondering how you picked up 20 yards per club? Wondering if it’s because you grew some? Will be interesting to follow your game for the next few years If you’re still gaining height and bulk.

• Like 3

Just now, Sluggo42 said:

Hey GB, how old ARE you? For some reason, I was thinking around 16 or so?

wondering how you picked up 20 yards per club? Wondering if it’s because you grew some? Will be interesting to follow your game for the next few years If you’re still gaining height and bulk.

Yessir, 16. It is only because I grew some. I'm currently 6'2" 140lbs. At the start of last winter, I was probably 5'11" 130lbs. Definitely have some filling out to do. That's the only reason I can think of that I picked up speed. Otherwise, I haven't really done any speed specific training. 

• Like 4

Shot very sporadically again yesterday. Some great hits, some not so great. I seem to be regressing the last 6 months..., even though I’m playing more. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Yessir, 16. It is only because I grew some. I'm currently 6'2" 140lbs. At the start of last winter, I was probably 5'11" 130lbs. Definitely have some filling out to do. That's the only reason I can think of that I picked up speed. Otherwise, I haven't really done any speed specific training. 

Wow, you will be gaining mad distance for a few years to come...

• Like 3

Since when does grass in Florida go dormant?    

Huh, every winter....
Some courses they didn’t oversees completely. There is some “experimenting” going on with different grasses.

• Like 1

No golf today, in Indiana at daughters for a family funeral, so been watching PGATour Live all morning......they get it free with their Roku tv.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Today felt much uglier than the 82 on the scorecard showed. 

Walking 18 after having the flu for 10 days really showed me how much stamina you can lose in such a short time. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wasn't going to play today as the weather was wet, cold and misty. By noon it was a beautiful sunny day, stiff breeze and cold but at least it was dry.

Played well today, long game was good, chipping great but bogied 6 in a row from the fairway with silly shots or short putts but the greens are slow and a bit bumpy this time of year with no growth.

76, happy with that considering my game has been all over the place recently.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yup.  Our place in the Ruby Valley is at 5200 ft. and we've had snow on the ground for a couple of months now.  Temps here in Yuma are now trying for the 90 mark. We usually head back to MT the first week of April... decisions, decisions. 

Heh, seems like a no-brainer to extend a bit, but there is no place like home though...

• Like 1

Shot a not so pretty 83 today (39/44), but I did manage to win 1 gross and 2 net skins today in our group of 16 players.

• Like 3

I played 18 today at Scott Lake Country Club north of Grand Rapids, another course I had never played before. $30 for 18 holes and cart, winter rates. I had only intended on walking nine, but the weather meant I had the course to myself and finished in three hours. I started playing in 38 degree temperatures and a light drizzle, and it didn't get much warmer. Course played 5,625 yards from the white tees, total par of 70, and it was still very wet in spots.

Shot an 85! 42-43, and unfortunately had a major blowup eight on the second nine after hooking my first drive out of bounds. Could have, and should have been better! One of my goals for this season was to break 90, and I'm going to go ahead and count this even though it was a par 70.

The good: Thanks to @Shankster, my chipping was much better today. Last week it cost me a lot of strokes around the green. Today I had a few "bad" chips, but my misses today were much more tolerable than last week. My putting was pretty good, too, once I figured out I was setup too open to my line about two or three holes in. My course strategy was also good again today. All in all, had two birdies so I'll never be upset with that.

I also got to whip out the new Epic Flash and was impressed! Stage one review will be coming soon!

The bad: My ball-striking was horrific. This is a direct holdover from an absolutely terrible range session yesterday. Mentally, I wasn't confident over the ball until very late in the round. I can't continue to play that way. When I play tight like that, my swing gets all out of sorts, my swing speed goes way down, etc. "Thin it to win it," was definitely a motto for me today, and I know I even yelled that a few times trying to coax the ball into the right spots. Thankfully almost all of my misses were playable.

I also was not impressed with parts of the course. The last six or so holes on the "Gold" nine are very awkwardly designed. They play down to and around Scott Lake (hence the name), but the holes are just stupidly run up-and-down over gigantic hills. This is culminated by a 534-yard dogleg-left par 5 where you must hit a long iron about 200 yards off the tee up a massive hill to a blind layup spot. This leaves you with 300-plus yards in to the green. I'm all for working with the natural contours of the land, but this was a little ridiculous.

Another miscue - I played Red/Gold, which was opposite of the orientation in GAME Golf, so it didn't track correctly and I only got nine holes figured out. Oh well.

Best hole: I birdied the opening par 5. I hit a five iron about 195 yards down to the landing spot in front of a gully. Another five iron (thinned!) to right of the cart path short of the hole, 54 degree to the green. Knocked in a 10-15 footer for birdie.

image.png.1db99b55d63e4690ceebc5c18a9d91dc.png

• Like 5

Played a full 18 after work yesterday afternoon. Saw the most amazing thing! A twosome of walkers had the entire course on gridlock! Both would walk to player “A” ball, wait for him to go through his routine and play a shot, then both would walk to player “B” ball and go through the whole scenario again. Even if each player were on opposite sides of a fairway! A couple of times, the tee shots were 100 yards apart.

Thankfully, they only played 9. At the turn, I politely asked why they were doing this because it was stacking up play behind them. The response was “we only have one range finder!”

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Played a full 18 after work yesterday afternoon. Saw the most amazing thing! A twosome of walkers had the entire course on gridlock! Both would walk to player “A” ball, wait for him to go through his routine and play a shot, then both would walk to player “B” ball and go through the whole scenario again. Even if each player were on opposite sides of a fairway! A couple of times, the tee shots were 100 yards apart.

Thankfully, they only played 9. At the turn, I politely asked why they were doing this because it was stacking up play behind them. The response was “we only have one range finder!”

Oh my...that's rich!  

• Like 1

38/44 at Mesa Del Sol.  Only one double bogey on a short dog leg par 4 that I talked myself into trying to cut the corner.  Folks sitting out in their lawn said it hit the tree in the fairway and bounce back into their yard (OB).  Oh well, was hitting Driver X pretty good all day and the testosterone simply took over... I think it was testosterone, but could be something else at this point. 😄

I also went early and hit the G410's again and tried the i500's.  Holy s***, the i500's were tough to hit consistent.  When I flushed them they flew, but I can definitely say forged blades no longer look suitable for my game.  This now the third time I've tried the G410's with both the AWT and Project X shafts, I'm still not seeing results that make me want to drop $1200.  I need to try some more irons.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

38/44 at Mesa Del Sol.  Only one double bogey on a short dog leg par 4 that I talked myself into trying to cut the corner.  Folks sitting out in their lawn said it hit the tree in the fairway and bounce back into their yard (OB).  Oh well, was hitting Driver X pretty good all day and the testosterone simply took over... I think it was testosterone, but could be something else at this point. 😄

I also went early and hit the G410's again and tried the i500's.  Holy s***, the i500's were tough to hit consistent.  When I flushed them they flew, but I can definitely say forged blades no longer look suitable for my game.  This now the third time I've tried the G410's with both the AWT and Project X shafts, I'm still not seeing results that make me want to drop $1200.  I need to try some more irons.

Check out the Mizuno 919s if you get a chance... really nice feel and a ton of shaft options.

• Like 3