MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Got outside for the first time over the weekend for a quick 9. VERY inconsistent with my irons, which is normally the better part of my game. Driver was shorter than usual but generally straight, which was great as I was swinging easier in an attempt to find fairways. 5/7 fairways hit. 

A lot of my mishits were fat, which I'm hoping is a symptom of playing on mats all winter that will go away sooner rather than later.

All in all, great day and happy to be getting outside again!

• Like 8

I feel like it's been an eternity since I've added to this thread.... 

Played 9 after work and ended up 10 over. 4 pars, a bogey, 3 doubles, and a triple (lost ball). Struggled off the tee, as usual, but irons were pretty solid and short game was shockingly good - a chip in for par and only 12 putts. 

I used the Oncore Elixers from the free sleeve. I think I like the ball, but hard to tell with temps in the 40's. It seemed to bite pretty well but the greens were pretty slow and shaggy. We'll see when the course gets into a bit better shape if I don't lose them all by then. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

Played like total dog emoji90.png!!! Just horrible. 92. And it was worse than the score shows!!! I need to get my lesson booked, and I need range time!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Adjustment period for the new sticks!

• Like 5

2nd round of the year and couldnt get off the tee box. Good news is that chipping was still there!

• Like 4

On 3/30/2019 at 7:24 PM, sixcat said:

Saw the most amazing thing! A twosome of walkers had the entire course on gridlock! Both would walk to player “A” ball, wait for him to go through his routine and play a shot, then both would walk to player “B” ball and go through the whole scenario again. Even if each player were on opposite sides of a fairway! A couple of times, the tee shots were 100 yards apart.

Thankfully, they only played 9. At the turn, I politely asked why they were doing this because it was stacking up play behind them. The response was “we only have one range finder!”

That saddens / maddens me - then others say, "Oh! Walkers are sloooow .. we shouldn't have them on the course!"

Too bad there's no minimum IQ requirement to get a tee time.... 

• Like 8

Adjustment period for the new sticks!

Yep, and a few swing changes. I’m not very good on courses with tight, hard lies, and this course in Houston was exactly that, and add-in they punched everything except the greens. 1/2 of the greens were sand... Not a good place to establish early season confidence!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

That saddens / maddens me - then others say, "Oh! Walkers are sloooow .. we shouldn't have them on the course!"

Too bad there's no minimum IQ requirement to get a tee time.... 

Agreed completely!  It's the 1% of guys like this that give the 99% a bad reputation!

• Like 6

Struggled a bit with the putter, but managed to shoot a 41/37 for a smooth 78 (par 71) with 2 double bogeys (yes, it was the putter!!!).  6 over on the front, 1 over on the back.  Shot of the round was a par 3 137 yards,  hit a 9 iron that spun toward the pin and rolled by it, leaving myself a tap in birdie.

• Like 7

First of all, I want to say it's amazing what our staff has been able to do with the golf course since the floods last fall.  My first round of 2019 was a month ago and the damage was still very prevalent. Yesterday afternoon, the course was in amazing shape with just a few areas still under repair.  The greens are back to being the best in this region, and it's not close!

The driver was much more cooperative yesterday.  I found 6 of 7 fairways with all but one of those being from the proper angle to the green.  Iron play was baffling again.  I seem to be long with every iron in the bag.  Not "past the pin" long.  I'm talking about "fly the green" long.  I began to experiment on #5.  I clubbed down on my approach to the green.  The pin was middle-back playing 147.  I hit pitching wedge rather than 9 iron.  My pitch mark was 8 inches left of the cup but the ball came to rest on the bank behind the green.  The previous hole is 163 yard par 3.  My 7 iron approach flew the green by 10 yards. 

Clubbing down seemed to do the trick the rest of the way.  I had birdie putts on #'s 7, 8 and 9.  Didn't make any of them but I had them nonetheless.  I think it may be time to start considering a Tour caliber ball for the spin and control.  

• Like 5

20 hours ago, chisag said:

We had the first twilite time yesterday and it was 92* with a bright sun. Got there a little early and the starter sent us off. We never saw anyone in front of us and not until 18 did someone show up behind us, a twosome in a cart that played thru several groups. 3 of us in no rush at all because we had the course to ourselves so we took our time. We were all walking and it took 3:40 minutes to play. 

Me and a friend walked 9 in 1:25 last night.  Teed off at 5:29 and I was at my dinner table checking homework at 7:30.  As we were walking to the 9th tee, I saw a twosome walking onto the 5th green.  Didn't see anyone else on the golf course.

Looking forward to this afternoon.  "Swampass Thursday" has been a staple at my club since I moved here in 2007.  It will be slightly more crowded, I'm sure.

• Like 2

1 under after 3 but wheels fell off for an 85. Course is getting very tough as the rough is too soppy to cut.  Windy with no roll make for a long home course. Only hit 3 GIRs..ouch..Chipping and pitches were strong pont but tough up and downs with week old aeration. 

• Like 2

Got two rounds in before today's rain. Played 9 Monday and shot 49. I'm still adjusting to the new year but I started striping my irons and driver. I felt somewhat confident going into the round yesterday that I'd be lower 90s on my 3rd 18 hole round of the year. I started somewhat well with a 46 including a disasterous 3 putt double bogey on 9. But then the wheels came off next three holes with double triple and then a 3 putt bogey. Ended up with two more nice pars on the back but still shot 96. Slowly my game is coming into form as my irons are crisp but currently not in the right direction. Still can't chip or pitch to save my life which is why my scores are so high.

• Like 1

Finally got my first round in this year! Very pleased to shoot 80, one double, one birdie. Had to adjust to the fact that for some reason I'm almost two clubs shorter this year, and that's before figuring in today's wind. 

• Like 3