MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

It's nights like tonight that make me question my sanity in loving this game. I was feeling confident going into our league - I had been hitting my irons well and Mr_Theoo pointed something out the helped me off the tee on Sunday. 

This game kicked me teeth tonight. Chipping and putting saved my a$$ and I still ended up +13. Ugh. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

This year has been extremely frustrating, while I know part of it is due to I was focused on training for my half marathon last weekend and only playing 1 or 2 times per week. I can't get off the tee box, its not my typical slice either, its every which way possible now, slice, hook, almost a 45 degree straight left shot, fat, thin etc. Had one of my worst rounds last night and I can't even begin to diagnose whats wrong

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Went out after work and played four holes...only 4 holes. We have had a lot of rain and I asked in the pro shop if the course was saturated or even playable. Told a little wet but not too bad. Played one par 3 and 3 par 4’s. On each of the par 4s I lost my tee shot plugged in the fairway. Decided this was getting expensive and frustrating and walked off. On a good note I was 3/3 in fairways hit so I have that going for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Played 9 this afternoon. Started off a little shakey and was 2 over after 3, but played the last 6 at -1 with 2 birdies for a 37 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Played 9 this afternoon. Started off a little shakey and was 2 over after 3, but played the last 6 at -1 with 2 birdies for a 37 

... Sounds very encouraging after a big change. How is the new swing working on the course? 

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 9:48 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yesterday I crossed a barrier of sorts.... after many trials and tribulations I managed shoot a round in the 70's ... 79 to be exact. (had been stuck on 80, 81, 82 for what seemed like forever)

It was a fall-like day in New England.... low 50's on/off drizzle and I bought a tee time from golfnow earlier in the week when the weather looked halfway decent.  Figured a day playing golf in light rain is better than not... so I went. (it was only 20.49 so I figured even if I got in a few holes it'd be worth it)

Nobody in the parking lot; tee time came with a cart; short warm up and I was off by myself around 10am.
After I finished my first 18 around 12:45 there was still nobody in front of me so I kept right on going.   🙂

Played 36 consecutive holes in about 5 and 1/2 hours.  Only caught folks twice but they let me play through.
Played whites first time and then the blues and ended 40/39 both times.
Course was soggy but not sopping wet; greens were aerated a few days ago and still had a lot of sand.  In some ways that helped, esp on long putts but on the flip side the putts didn't break how you read them.

A few things that helped me break the proverbial "80 ceiling"...
- I started using the Grint app on my phone to enter my scores instead of the scorecard; this helps me mentally as I don't add things up and start overthinking it.  I let the app tell me my final score and just play the holes and try to score the best on each individual hole vs. I have to birdie/par this one...

- I read an article by Adam Young and in it he does a good job of pointing out that the range is where you practice and the course is where you play (duh!), but what he was getting at is that there is a time-and-place for thinking about all your body positions and all that stuff and on the course you just need to execute.  So this time I really tried to just focus on hitting the ball to the target and play "dirty golf" (what he calls it when you don't really worry about how you 'look' but instead focus on doing the task)

- persistence/practice/keeping the ball in play/chipping; I can't overestimate the importance of practicing chipping - especially with different clubs... saved me several times.

So, Max Homa and I both had something in common on Sunday, we both had breakthroughs of a sort, only his bank account is a lot bigger than mine today. 🙂  

I stole this from a podcast he did in the past describing how he kept plugging away at it...My advice if this is something you're working on - keep going, keep fighting the good fight, believe it or not you're making progress and it will happen...don't stop...ever.
Screenshot_20190506-072434.pngScreenshot_20190505-190242.pngIMG_20190505_122331.jpg

Congratulations!!  Not that you've done it, it will be easier next time.  

I like the idea of using The Grint app.  I use The Grint but never used the app because my phone would die before the end of a round.  But I got a new iPhone a few months ago, so maybe I'll try it this weekend.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... Sounds very encouraging after a big change. How is the new swing working on the course? 

Its really coming together. I'd say I'm making the new move about 70% of the time. Stoll find myself sliding, but I have the knowledge now to self diagnose. 

• Like 5

Tuesday I decided to take a break from the Arccos and just play, so I bagged my Hogan Ptx’s and Tkt Wedges with my Cobra Woods. 41/46:87. Not too bad, because I know where I made a couple Course management errors that ended up costing me some strokes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Golf is such a funny game.   League match tonight and overall I played pretty well.   Got to the course early and working on my pitching and chipping and it went fantastic.  Distance control was good and all the shots were solid.    First hole I pulled my drive a bit and flew the green with my wedge chipped back and 2 putted for a bogey.  Lots of pars and my only issue was that my tee shots were drifting right. Fortunately the course was pretty open so my shots were recoverable.  Final hole was a disaster,  big slice into the brush,  dropped, topped my next into the brush, dropped,  hit the green, and a simple two putt for a triple bogey 7.  

The big miss with my driver has crept into my game the past few weeks and I need to figure out the fix.

• Like 6

5 over thru 13 then the rain hit. Very windy but finally a dry day. Irons and putter working drives not so much, but building towards.... something

Take Dead Aim

• Like 4

A nice 1 over, 71 today, but, from the white tees. Nice warm overcast day...

• Like 8

Course was completely soaked this AM and we played lift clean and place. Shot a 48 for 9 holes which isn’t all that bad for me. Just an average round of nothing happening. But I did keep the ball in play all round long. Just swinging my swing is making the tee to green game much more manageable. Really feel a super good round this season if I get the whole game working 

• Like 7

On 5/9/2019 at 4:37 AM, fozcycle said:

Tuesday I decided to take a break from the Arccos and just play, so I bagged my Hogan Ptx’s and Tkt Wedges with my Cobra Woods. 41/46:87. Not too bad, because I know where I made a couple Course management errors that ended up costing me some strokes.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Curious what you mean by take a break from the Arccos?  Does having that system tend to draw you into looking at each shots data as you play?  It sure looks like a cool system and I'm considering having it added to a new iron set (whenever that happens 😁) but I could see it might become distracting - perhaps the paralysis by analysis syndrome?

Was rolling along nicely until the last 4 holes I went bogie, bogie, bogie, double bogie. Which made my final score a +5 76... 😢

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Got back to town today just after noon. Was on the golf course by 1:45. Had a bad case of the double-bogies and had only 2 pars all round for a crummy 98. It actually felt better than that since I kept Mr. Snowman at bay and driver was actually on point most of the afternoon. Was excited to put my new 7w in the bag and ditch the 4i, but only had to pull it out once...what a club!

• Like 3

Won a charity scramble with some good buddies yesterday, then drove 30 minutes to play in our weekly 9 hole dog fight and shot 38.  Back to back bogeys to start and pars the rest of the way.  Missed two very makable birdie putts on 3 and 7, so overall a good day but could’ve been much better.

• Like 3

I was -2 after two then doubled 3. Feast or famine the next 6. Struck it well, found a couple greens and. fairways, and my tee shot misses are a little better. Tourny Monday and I really thougt my game would be on track for my opener after my hand surgerie. 

• Like 4

79 HACKS today, not one decent strike, topped a couple of drives, had 3 double bogies, a few bogies and one birdie.

This game is SO frustrating.............I love it😏🙄😂

• Like 4

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

79 HACKS today, not one decent strike, topped a couple of drives, had 3 double bogies, a few bogies and one birdie.

This game is SO frustrating.............I love it😏🙄😂

Your game sounds similar to mine .... it was a standing joke when I'd come in and the pro would ask how I shot.  I'd say 78 or so, he'd ask "how many doubles" ... me: 3

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Your game sounds similar to mine .... it was a standing joke when I'd come in and the pro would ask how I shot.  I'd say 78 or so, he'd ask "how many doubles" ... me: 3

... As I said earlier, I played with a Pro from Desert Mountain and he was one of the best ball strikers I ever played with. Lipped out 2 eagles after hitting mid irons for his second shot and had 6 birdies BUT he also had 2 bogies and 2 double bogies for a smooth 72. 

• Like 4