MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

20 hours ago, gaussman1 said:

So if it's hooking then you know one thing for sure- the face is closed to the path at impact. Whether that's because the face is pretty neutral and the path is way too much inside out, or because the path is fairly neutral and the face is shut is what you need to figure out. But at least knowing that first part helps you on the road to discovery

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think this is the issue resulting from using my driver swing and trying to apply it to my irons. I'm going to play the next round with two distinct swings and see what happens.

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Played in a "Tournament" on saturday. I use the quotes because it wasn't golf that day and the course was not even close to ready to host one. Yes it was wet, yes it was cool, and yes on the back 9 a +3 club wind kicked up. But I can't hold that against the course because everywhere has been cold and wet. What I can is that the greens were still punched and sanded. Couldn't putt and approachs were taking bad kicks. The winning score was even par 71. I shot an 88, which was middle of the pack. So I take solace in the fact that everyone struggled.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 1

91 (45/46) with 36 putts (🤬) at Waikele Country Club on Sunday. My putting was absolutely atrocious, but I did strike the ball well at times so there were some positives. The greens were slower than they were last week, which threw me off as well. My biggest issue turned out to be the damn gnat swarms, which is a bit of a norm out here if there's any moisture in the air!

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM 9º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW | Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 54 Mid, 60 Mid | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5

91 (45/46) with 36 putts () at Waikele Country Club on Sunday. My putting was absolutely atrocious, but I did strike the ball well at times so there were some positives. The greens were slower than they were last week, which threw me off as well. My biggest issue turned out to be the damn gnat swarms, which is a bit of a norm out here if there's any moisture in the air!

The termites at night as well, bananas.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

4 minutes ago, yungkory said:

The termites at night as well, bananas.

Bro, I'm talking straight gnat CLOUDS, haha! 

TaylorMade SIM 9º | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 6.5
Ping G410 3W 14.5º | VA Composites Drago 75 X
Ping G410 3H 18º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Ping G410 4H 22º | KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 95 X
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW | Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 54 Mid, 60 Mid | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Evnroll ER5 | BGT Stability Tour
TaylorMade TP5

83 (41/42) today at The Mill Course in Cincinnati today. I putted like crap today, I missed 6 putts inside 3 feet today for par. My wedge game that is usually my weakness put me in position to score and my putting which is usually a strength, let me down. Go figure. Keep waiting to have them all clicking at once lol.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: Original AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

• Like 3

Played in a partner tourny today. Played reasonably well and we managed to take 2nd place low gross in our flight out of 15 teams in the flight. 

• Like 2

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

4 Competitive rounds for me last week.

Tuesday beat 5 and 3 in KO comp against 2 h/c. 4 down after 5 never really recovered.

Thursday senior league match betterball lost 2 and 1. Really good game 2 down then 2 up, all square at 15th, partner and I both double bogeyed to lose to a bogey. Then they birdie SI2 at the next.

Friday won 3 and 1 in KO comp against 5 h/c.

Saturday played a Texas Scramble team event. came in with scatch 64 (-7) net 58.9 for 3rd and a nearest the pin. Got our monies worth at £10 a skull. Partner really driving the ball well with his new Epic Flash.

• Like 2

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

First tournament round since last season. I was first off at 8 am and it was 42 degrees and breezy. I hung in there most of the day but made a 9 on a very easy par 5 with two balls in the water and a 3 putt. A couple shots thrown away after that added up to a dispirited 78.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

What in the world.

First full 18 today. Played with a guy that probably shot around a 180...

My first 9 was terrible. TERRIBLE.

Back 9... shot a 36 with lipping out 4 birdie putts.

Woods and long game needs overhaul, costs me way too many strokes.

Shot of the day was a pitch and run 9 iron from 64 yards that finished an inch from the cup. PR save there after chunking an 8 iron from the middle of the fairway...

• Like 5

Like a boss, ....read all about it in my 19th hole thread

• Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Played 27 holes today...22 of them very rainy. Shot 81. Hit a few fairways and greens and right around 50% on saves.

Last 9 I shot 42. Two doubles with only 1 fairway hit. I was tired, a little wet, and hungry.  Tired cost me losing the bal right off the tee and cost me. Hdcp is coming down and hoping to be back in single digits in the next mid June. 

• Like 3

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I didn't really play all that bad in league last night, but score doesn't really reflect that - I ended up +12, but 7 of those strokes came on 2 holes.

The thing that really torqued me was on the 8th hole I lost two balls on shots that were not that bad. The tee shot should have been in the fairway or just off down in a valley. I can only assume it plugged. The next shot was a decent 6 iron that I pulled a bit but had a good line on where it should have been. I should have been able to locate both shots, but....

A couple chunked chips that I tried to get too cute on rather than playing conservatively, but putted decent again - 15 putts.

• Like 4

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Actually was able to get out and play today at my club. Smooth 75 with no real issues other than some less than stellar chips around the green. First round out with the armlock putter and it worked great. Made everything I should have and didn’t struggle with any lag putts. Putting the JumboMax grip on it made a huge difference over the stock Odyssey grip. Going to beat some balls tomorrow and play 36 on Friday and again on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

In the Bag for 2020

PXG 0811XF Gen 2 10.5* (set at 9*) AD VR 6x

PXG 0341X Gen 2 15* AD TP 7x

PXG 0317X Gen 2 19* KBS Proto 95x

PXG 0311T Gen 3 4-6 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 ST 7 - PW KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50/10 KBS $ Taper 130

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 54/10 & 58/07 TTDG TI S400

:rife-putters-1: Two Bar Blade Long 47"

Anyone know a good exorcist? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Me an “the cooch” threw a 75 down today with 32 putts.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Anyone know a good exorcist? 
Let me know if you find one. Some kind of demon has possessed my iron play.

Played 9 holes today and shot +5 with 14 putts. Put the ER2 back in the bag and it feels like all the work I put in with the Stroke Lab just translates better to this putter, idk. Driving was decent, roped one left that smacked a tree that hangs over the left side about 100y out, but other than that pretty successful. My iron play though, man, I need to go grind on the range.

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 60.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Let’s just say it was a very bad day for the golf score. Shot an abysmal 113 on a course that never gives me any problems. The grip just didn’t feel right and threw off my rhythm. Really disappointed. But can’t beat a perfect 81 degree day with no wind. I don’t think any of us broke 100 today. We also finished In just under 5 1/2 hrs  for 18. So at least the torture wasn’t an all day event 

Here are some pics of me and our traveling group enjoying the day 

286EB7AB-2CBD-43DC-9CA5-C5A7328C7F9C.png

D0775C18-8652-4A0A-938F-02416D4657E8.png

7C75E43C-EA21-4C15-94FC-3DC13C331089.png

Edited by Big money
  • Like 4

Keep it in the short stuff

Annoying weather has kept me off the course since Saturday. Rain Monday ended any hope of mens league. Tuesday and Wednesday were nice but made the decision to go to the gym an couldn't back out. Today another nice day but have a personal trainer session.

The last time I played I shot a disappointing 96. I just can't get it going this year thus far.

• Sad 1

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

A Scramble Saga

Well, that was fun!

Yesterday I played in my 2nd old guys scramble of the year.  A group of old guys started a Wednesday scramble competition twice a month.  It's a blind draw, team net score.  It's fun in that I get to meet new people that I have never played with before.  The 3 guys I played with were in their mid 60's, slightly younger than me (I turned 72 on Tuesday).  They were all walking, and I thought about getting my cart out of the trunk and walking too, but since my membership includes a cart, I got one.  Good thing... I was the designated "go get that ball in the other fairway."  🤣

We had a good team, and I was rather humbled.  These guys were good.  I know that I am not a long hitter, but I keep the ball in front of me and my short game usually keeps my score reasonable.  However, i've struggled a little with that lately.  

There is only one rule to this scramble.  The team must use 3 drives from each player... NOT counting par 3's!!  My course has 5 par 3's, so that means 3 drives from everyone, and one person gets the extra one.  Not much wiggle room.  

These guys were waaaay past me!!  How far, you say??  Here's the story...  (sorry to ramble).  I figured that we would use my drives on the shorter holes and on the par 5's unless someone poked one out far enough that we had a reasonable chance to reach the green in 2 shots.  My first driver used came on the 3rd hole, the #1 handicap hole; water all down the left and big grassy mounds on the right.  One guy goes in the water and the other two block right over the mounds onto the #2 tee box trying not to go in the water.  I'm down the middle; one drive out of the way.  My 2nd driver used came on #6 a par 5; decent poke but not my best.  Two guys over the right mounds into #5 fairway (remember, I had the cart so I had to get all these balls).  The other guy HIT MY BALL in the fairway, and his ball went in the bunker; second drive out of the way.

Then these guys settled down.  Long drives, and we just had to pick the best one.  I know I'm going to have a problem on the back nine because there are 3 par 3's that we can't count.  I was hoping that they all had a bad hole like on the front nine and I could save the day.  Didn't happen.  When we got to #16, I told them that we had to use my drive on this hole because they wouldn't want to use my drive on the par 5 #18.  They agreed.  I didn't catch my best drive but I was in the fairway, 152y out.  After we teed off, I went to pick up their 3 balls. They were all within 10 feet of each other in the fairway 98y from the green; 54 yards ahead of me!!  I hated to pick them up.  But it was a smart move because I can't get far enough down the fairway to see around the corner of the dogleg on the par 5 #18.  One guy put his drive on the 200y marker, and two guys put their 2nd shots on the green (missed eagle though).

Overall, we were -6 but -11 won.  I made two birdie putts, but none of us putted very well.  I hit decent shots on the par 3's, but we never birdied a par 3, and there are 5 of them!!

Here's my conclusion.  I had a great time playing with these guys, and I think they enjoyed playing with me.  However, no team needs a short, straight driver of the golf ball in a scramble.  While my drive was helpful on two occasions, other balls could have been played without really affecting our team score.  I have a decent short game and putt well most of the time, but I am really no better than two of the other guys.  What was the term used for Captain Kirk on that Star Trek episode... Captain Dunsel??   What's funny though is that my handicap is about the same as theirs.

• Like 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”