MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Posted (edited)

Let’s just say it was a very bad day for the golf score. Shot an abysmal 113 on a course that never gives me any problems. The grip just didn’t feel right and threw off my rhythm. Really disappointed. But can’t beat a perfect 81 degree day with no wind. I don’t think any of us broke 100 today. We also finished In just under 5 1/2 hrs  for 18. So at least the torture wasn’t an all day event 

Here are some pics of me and our traveling group enjoying the day 

286EB7AB-2CBD-43DC-9CA5-C5A7328C7F9C.png

D0775C18-8652-4A0A-938F-02416D4657E8.png

7C75E43C-EA21-4C15-94FC-3DC13C331089.png

Edited by Big money
  • Like 4

Annoying weather has kept me off the course since Saturday. Rain Monday ended any hope of mens league. Tuesday and Wednesday were nice but made the decision to go to the gym an couldn't back out. Today another nice day but have a personal trainer session.

The last time I played I shot a disappointing 96. I just can't get it going this year thus far.

• Sad 1

A Scramble Saga

Well, that was fun!

Yesterday I played in my 2nd old guys scramble of the year.  A group of old guys started a Wednesday scramble competition twice a month.  It's a blind draw, team net score.  It's fun in that I get to meet new people that I have never played with before.  The 3 guys I played with were in their mid 60's, slightly younger than me (I turned 72 on Tuesday).  They were all walking, and I thought about getting my cart out of the trunk and walking too, but since my membership includes a cart, I got one.  Good thing... I was the designated "go get that ball in the other fairway."  🤣

We had a good team, and I was rather humbled.  These guys were good.  I know that I am not a long hitter, but I keep the ball in front of me and my short game usually keeps my score reasonable.  However, i've struggled a little with that lately.  

There is only one rule to this scramble.  The team must use 3 drives from each player... NOT counting par 3's!!  My course has 5 par 3's, so that means 3 drives from everyone, and one person gets the extra one.  Not much wiggle room.  

These guys were waaaay past me!!  How far, you say??  Here's the story...  (sorry to ramble).  I figured that we would use my drives on the shorter holes and on the par 5's unless someone poked one out far enough that we had a reasonable chance to reach the green in 2 shots.  My first driver used came on the 3rd hole, the #1 handicap hole; water all down the left and big grassy mounds on the right.  One guy goes in the water and the other two block right over the mounds onto the #2 tee box trying not to go in the water.  I'm down the middle; one drive out of the way.  My 2nd driver used came on #6 a par 5; decent poke but not my best.  Two guys over the right mounds into #5 fairway (remember, I had the cart so I had to get all these balls).  The other guy HIT MY BALL in the fairway, and his ball went in the bunker; second drive out of the way.

Then these guys settled down.  Long drives, and we just had to pick the best one.  I know I'm going to have a problem on the back nine because there are 3 par 3's that we can't count.  I was hoping that they all had a bad hole like on the front nine and I could save the day.  Didn't happen.  When we got to #16, I told them that we had to use my drive on this hole because they wouldn't want to use my drive on the par 5 #18.  They agreed.  I didn't catch my best drive but I was in the fairway, 152y out.  After we teed off, I went to pick up their 3 balls. They were all within 10 feet of each other in the fairway 98y from the green; 54 yards ahead of me!!  I hated to pick them up.  But it was a smart move because I can't get far enough down the fairway to see around the corner of the dogleg on the par 5 #18.  One guy put his drive on the 200y marker, and two guys put their 2nd shots on the green (missed eagle though).

Overall, we were -6 but -11 won.  I made two birdie putts, but none of us putted very well.  I hit decent shots on the par 3's, but we never birdied a par 3, and there are 5 of them!!

Here's my conclusion.  I had a great time playing with these guys, and I think they enjoyed playing with me.  However, no team needs a short, straight driver of the golf ball in a scramble.  While my drive was helpful on two occasions, other balls could have been played without really affecting our team score.  I have a decent short game and putt well most of the time, but I am really no better than two of the other guys.  What was the term used for Captain Kirk on that Star Trek episode... Captain Dunsel??   What's funny though is that my handicap is about the same as theirs.

• Like 6

@Kenny B. Sounds like a lot of fun. Hoping that one day when I retire I can find a place that has engagement like that.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 1:48 PM, perseveringgolfer said:

Humbling game today- played with our resident pro who hit the ball the way only pro's can. He has played in over 60 European tour events so he can play, but it was a different class of strike and course management. He 'easily' shot 4 under.

I learned/picked up loads of good course management info and a few good tips to improve my inconsistent scrapping around lol

Apart from his long game being on a different dimension to ours, his short game was exceptional, deadly chips and only 26 putts.

It's another world and a game most of us are not familiar with.

Just thought I'd share even though it's not about my game today.

Just to confirm he can play, he played in a local pro comp 2 days ago and shot -7 😮

They are playing a different game and thats just local pro's

• Like 3

Played in a pretty good rain on the front nine, which turned into a wind storm on the back, but I managed to get 3 birdies which helped me to a 77 for the day. 

• Like 3

We also finished In just under 5 1/2 hrs  for 18. So at least the torture wasn’t an all day event 

!!

5.5 hours? Omg, that IS an all day event! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 4

Played the front today with a couple of buds. The SFT, plus 5 and 9 wood I recent early got from my fitter are my new best friends. Pulled a 44 which my best ever score for the front.

IMG_4792.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 9

Played at Kicking Bird Golf Club in Edmond, OK today with my oldest son. It was really windy today and I was playing for the first time the 2019 ProV1. The course was in really great shape - I had three birdies and one bogey for a 2 under 68. I hit 9 of 12 fairways, 12 of 18 greens and 27 putts. I have been testing the Stroke Lab 9 the last few weeks but I went back to my Black Series Tour Design 9. I played on Tuesday and I used the Stroke Lab and I could not get my distances right so yesterday I spent a few hours on the putting green and it was no contest: the Black Series won hands down. I have used that putter for 10-11 years and it is so good. I honestly thought the Stroke Lab would be an easy transition but it just wasn't and today was confirmation; 27 putts is really solid for me. I really happy with my round today considering the wind was howling (It's Oklahoma so it's always windy but today it was blowing at 20+ today) but I controlled my golf ball well today. After a solid round of golf, I found out that I was chosen to be a tester for Srixon golf balls so it's been a good day

IMG_3625.jpg

• Like 6

Played at Kicking Bird Golf Club in Edmond, OK today with my oldest son. It was really windy today and I was playing for the first time the 2019 ProV1. The course was in really great shape - I had three birdies and one bogey for a 2 under 68. I hit 9 of 12 fairways, 12 of 18 greens and 27 putts. I have been testing the Stroke Lab 9 the last few weeks but I went back to my Black Series Tour Design 9. I played on Tuesday and I used the Stroke Lab and I could not get my distances right so yesterday I spent a few hours on the putting green and it was no contest: the Black Series won hands down. I have used that putter for 10-11 years and it is so good. I honestly thought the Stroke Lab would be an easy transition but it just wasn't and today was confirmation; 27 putts is really solid for me. I really happy with my round today considering the wind was howling (It's Oklahoma so it's always windy but today it was blowing at 20+ today) but I controlled my golf ball well today. After a solid round of golf, I found out that I was chosen to be a tester for Srixon golf balls so it's been a good day
IMG_3625.thumb.jpg.623e56cccfb3d8e128a5ccc910fcf748.jpg

Very nice round! You only beat me by 19 strokes in the same course yesterday. The course condition is coming along nicely. A few more sunny days and it will be outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Company golf league last night, team lost but I played pretty well, three bogeys. Hit my irons really well, bogeys were primarily result of poor short game distance control. Short game contact has been really good since my lesson, just need some more time to figure out distances.
Wondering if I just need to replace my wedges since I am getting what I think is inconsistent rollout on midrange shots and my main wedge for short game is pretty old.

My Evnroll Er2.2 has been rolling the ball well. I guess the heavy head is okay, distance control has been pretty good and face control seems to be okay. Misses were mostly the results of bad reads as I burned the edges on some par putts that didn’t break as much as I thought. I did miss a 3 foot birdie putt

Actually made a grip change that seems to be the right move. This year I had transitioned to a stronger grip but last night I went back to a more neutral grip that I have always used. Based on how well I hit my irons I am going back to the old grip. Sometimes I think watch ball flight on a launch monitor is bad for you game since you really can’t interpret depth or left / right distance in a 2d screen.

• Like 3

Very nice round! You only beat me by 19 strokes in the same course yesterday. The course condition is coming along nicely. A few more sunny days and it will be outstanding.

Absolutely right! We've had so much rain but it's really close. The greens were rolling pretty well considering but when they fill in a bit they should be fantastic. What time were you out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - nothing wrong with 87! Good playing!

• Like 2

36/40..76

Shot good front, bad back... flogging at its best...

• Like 4

Played today in the first round of our season long match play and gave 31 shots to someone playing two boxes in front of me. I shot 74 gross on my ball and lost 8&7. Net events are great if you are actually truthful in your handicap. I shot two shots over my index and got absolutely dusted. A little tough to swallow when I am playing 7k yards at sea level against a guy that is playing 6,100 yards with a fake index. Completely done with any event that involves any sort of net score. To sum up my day 187 yard par three with a bit of wind in that I hit five iron to two inches and lost the hole to a birdie net one. Complete horse crap.

Sorry for the rant and not against legit handicaps but tired of guys that completely inflate their handicaps and shoot lights out in any competitive round.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Played at Kicking Bird Golf Club in Edmond, OK today with my oldest son. It was really windy today and I was playing for the first time the 2019 ProV1. The course was in really great shape - I had three birdies and one bogey for a 2 under 68. I hit 9 of 12 fairways, 12 of 18 greens and 27 putts. I have been testing the Stroke Lab 9 the last few weeks but I went back to my Black Series Tour Design 9. I played on Tuesday and I used the Stroke Lab and I could not get my distances right so yesterday I spent a few hours on the putting green and it was no contest: the Black Series won hands down. I have used that putter for 10-11 years and it is so good. I honestly thought the Stroke Lab would be an easy transition but it just wasn't and today was confirmation; 27 putts is really solid for me. I really happy with my round today considering the wind was howling (It's Oklahoma so it's always windy but today it was blowing at 20+ today) but I controlled my golf ball well today. After a solid round of golf, I found out that I was chosen to be a tester for Srixon golf balls so it's been a good day emoji846.png

IMG_3625.jpg

I had a similar experience with Stroke Lab and struggling with distance control. Switched back to my ER2 on Wednesday and played 9 with 14 putts, including a 3-putt on the last. I'm interested to see how the forum testers get along with the face, it's just too soft for my liking I think. I like the feel of the Stroke Lab Double-wide as a putter, but the face feels like boiled mushrooms.

7 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Played today in the first round of our season long match play and gave 31 shots to someone playing two boxes in front of me. I shot 74 gross on my ball and lost 8&7. Net events are great if you are actually truthful in your handicap. I shot two shots over my index and got absolutely dusted. A little tough to swallow when I am playing 7k yards at sea level against a guy that is playing 6,100 yards with a fake index. Completely done with any event that involves any sort of net score. To sum up my day 187 yard par three with a bit of wind in that I hit five iron to two inches and lost the hole to a birdie net one. Complete horse crap.

Sorry for the rant and not against legit handicaps but tired of guys that completely inflate their handicaps and shoot lights out in any competitive round.

I never understood inflating handicaps, but then again I don't belong to a club and play in these kinds of events. IDK how you can sleep at night knowing you destroyed someone 8&7 when they shot a 74. I hope that guy stubs his toe when he wakes up to pee.

• Like 1

Bugged out of work at lunch and hit the course at 12.30. Birdied the first hole with a 60+ foot putt, so things started well until the 6th when tragedy struck. Mishit my drive, then looked at the driver...I don't think this should have happened even with a shot to the toe. I'll be calling TMaG today to see what's what.

So, I ended up using 3 off the tee the rest of the round and found the fairway more often than not. Ended up it a 47/43, which is my best yet at the course.

M5.jpg

M5 2.jpg

M5 3.jpg

• Like 2

Uneventful 77 (+5) today with 5 bogeys.

Tee game was pretty average.  Hit some great drivers, but also hit 2 pull hooks.  Still working on getting this new swing to feel natural.

My iron game was pretty sub-par today.  Hit everything low on the face because I have to remember to stay down on the ball when I am rotating through.  I can get away with it off the tee because I'm hitting up on the ball there, but the shallow angle of attack with the irons isn't as great.

• Like 4

79 hacks.........again!

Timing and staying down/covering the shot is hit and miss just now. Get it wrong with the driver and it's a high push fade (double bogie), get it right and it's a beautiful penetrating shot with a 3 yd draw.

Get it wrong with irons and it's slightly fat and low on the face coming up way short. Get it right and a sweet sounding crisp iron going it's full distance.

Got it wrong more than right today.

Chipping and putting was better though.

• Like 5